• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2014
    Too bloody long in fact. And Christ, what a depressing album. I only listened to about five or ten minutes before and thought it was great. It isn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2014 edited
    Agreed. The album is FAR too long, Bear McCreary-style. But there are some excellent tracks here. Shades of Kilar.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes, definitely heard a bit of a Kilar influence. I'll never listen to the album though, who can be bothered to trawl through something like this to pick out the highlights? What a shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    All The King's Men James Horner

This is a fine, fine score. Been a few years since I listened to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    All The King's Men James Horner

This is a fine, fine score. Been a few years since I listened to it.

After reading this I really fancied hearing it again until I realised this one is still in storage. slant

NP : THE FOUR FEATHERS - James Horner

Not in storage.

...and then I check Spotify and see All The Kings Men is on there rolleyes Oh well, I'm enjoying Four Feathers now! smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    NP : CALVARY - Patrick Cassidy

My gods but this is a beauty!

Such a sad and moving film. From the first note of the score (about 6 minutes into the film) I turned to my wife and said -- 'oh dear, this isn't going to end well.'
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Bregt wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Under The Skin - Mica Levi

Not enjoyable in the traditional sense but this is one of the highlight scores of 2014.

Really? I haven't seen the film yet but I didn't finish the score. It certainly is a creepy score.

I'll have to try again?

I'd agree it's a highlight, but I think a 15 minute suite should do it. wink More a film experience than a pleasant way to spend an hour.
  3. Hi, everybody. I haven’t posted on the forum much at all this summer, but I’ve been listening to a ton of film scores. My happiest discoveries of the summer have been. . .

THE YOUNG VICTORIA – Ilan Eshkeri.

It is a shame that this score is no longer commercially available (not that I can find, anyway). It’s just lovely. The regal theme for Victoria’s ascension to the throne, the incorporation of Shubert’s serenade, the ravishing love theme – this is a wonderful score.

LA FILLE DU PUISATIER – Alexandre Desplat

I missed this when it came out in 2011, which is a shame because this score is gorgeous. It may just be my new favorite score by Desplat. This sort of thing appeals to me so much more than his GODZILLA score.

Of the scores I’ve heard from 2014 so far HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 is my favorite, followed by Chajdecki’s WARSAW UPRISING. I’m also a fan of Neely’s CASE AGAINST 8, and McNeely’s scores PIRATE FAIRY and A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST. THE GOOD WIFE and MALEFICENT are also very good.

Just today I’ve heard CALVARY, which I thought was lovely in parts, but a little dull, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, which isn’t really my kind of score, but it’s fun, Jeff Grace’s THE INKEEPERS which I quite disliked, Debney’s WALK OF SHAME, which is disliked even more, Mansell’s UNITED, which was okay, Hirshefelder’s LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS, which I think worked better in the film than it does on album, Heffes’s EMPEROR from last year, which is pretty good, with a very good end titles piece, and Richard Harvey’s LES DEUX MONDES, which has some great highlights (tracks 20 and 21 are very good).

I’m currently listening to PONYO ON A CLIFF BY THE SEA, which I’ve only recently acquired, but which is shaping up to be my favorite Hishaishi score by a bit.

Sorry for that not-so-informative info dump, but I felt like sharing all of that. So there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

I think with all the heavily mediocre film music out there this year, the slightest presence of a leitmotific theme, no matter how derivative a score is, makes it 'great' these days smile

Two things worth bearing in mind O Neysayer the Greek: 1) There have been some fine scores released this year, and 2) The 'rose tinted spectacle effect' of looking into the past. wink I'm sure even 1977 had some mediocre scores - but we don't remember them for that very reason!

It's the general trend to burry perfectly fine orchestral music with electronica and sfx that bothers me and which ruins a lot of otherwise good scores for me during the last 2-3 years. Especially when forced upon people (composers) who can't handle them or obviously don't know what to do with them, see Velazquez's Hercules for one.

Tyler's TMNT although not falling in the above category, still comes along as agonizingly trying to understand what kind of score it wants to be. The writing surely is dense and well-executed but the score is generally very loud, all over the place (in some cases), changing all the time and trying to sound modern but also old-fashioned leitmotific grand at the same place. All too soon it all gets too overwhelming. I understand the favorable acceptance it's getting now, as i said amidst the pile of 14's lukewarm scores, but let's see how it stands out 2 years from now.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Bregt wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Under The Skin - Mica Levi

Not enjoyable in the traditional sense but this is one of the highlight scores of 2014.

Really? I haven't seen the film yet but I didn't finish the score. It certainly is a creepy score.

I'll have to try again?

I'd agree it's a highlight, but I think a 15 minute suite should do it. wink More a film experience than a pleasant way to spend an hour.

It's sound-design, very closely bound to the film it was written for. Outside it, it's just painful imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

Such a sad and moving film. From the first note of the score (about 6 minutes into the film) I turned to my wife and said -- 'oh dear, this isn't going to end well.'

Still trying to understand what people have been listening to here...'cause what i remember is synthy drones, endless. I haven't seen the film though and i will soon, in an effort to understand this smile
  4. NP: Dead Poets Society (1989) - Maurice Jarre

O CAPTAIN! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
    The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won;
    The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
    While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:
    But O heart! heart! heart!
    O the bleeding drops of red,
    Where on the deck my Captain lies,
    Fallen cold and dead.

cry
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

I just listened to this and wow, it's really good! Quite dark and slow but it's beautiful music. And it includes another Beatitudes that is very moving.

Demetris, I think you might confuse with an other score by him? I think CALVARY should be the kind of music you like. It certainly has a elements of his past collaborations with Lisa Gerrard.

PRISONORS | johann johannsson

Blends in perfectly with the mood set in CALVARY....
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Before my next play I just had to play this> CROSS OF IRON which, IMO, is one of the greatest film themes ever composed. If you've never heard it before I strongly suggest you treat yourself to a listen.

shocked
    Crikey! This is VERY nice!
    I even have that score...wonder why it didn't make much of an impression the first time around?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    christopher wrote
    I’m currently listening to PONYO ON A CLIFF BY THE SEA, which I’ve only recently acquired, but which is shaping up to be my favorite Hishaishi score by a bit.

I recently re-discovered that score myself and I have to agree: to me it's Hisaishi's loveliest work to date.

Sorry for that not-so-informative info dump, but I felt like sharing all of that. So there.

biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Demetris wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

Still trying to understand what people have been listening to here...'cause what i remember is synthy drones, endless. I haven't seen the film though and i will soon, in an effort to understand this smile

I don't remember much other than the melancholy vocal elements in the film. Whenever I was aware of it, it seemed nice but emotionally very heavy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Before my next play I just had to play this> CROSS OF IRON which, IMO, is one of the greatest film themes ever composed. If you've never heard it before I strongly suggest you treat yourself to a listen.

shocked
    Crikey! This is VERY nice!
    I even have that score...wonder why it didn't make much of an impression the first time around?

That's because the rest of the score doesn't really stand out beyond 'Steiner's Theme' ( which is what you heard ), but boy, what a theme it is! love

Have you seen the film? One of the great war films IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. NP: Jamaica Inn - Cristobal Tapia de Veer

Hauntingly beautiful score to the newest, very dark and skillfully done adaptation of DuMaurier´s story. I´m sorry to report that it´s not available for now, but you can listen to a suite provided by the composer himself.
  7. NP: Snowpiercer

Possibly helped by having seen the film, where it has a great presence... but this is great. I've not enjoyed a Beltrami this much in some time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

I just listened to this and wow, it's really good! Quite dark and slow but it's beautiful music. And it includes another Beatitudes that is very moving.

Demetris, I think you might confuse with an other score by him? I think CALVARY should be the kind of music you like. It certainly has a elements of his past collaborations with Lisa Gerrard.

True but my initial listens detected a lot of dull synths and samples...is there an orchestra or organic (physical) instruments in there? in the meantime, i should re-visit.

PRISONORS | johann johannsson

Blends in perfectly with the mood set in CALVARY....

True, this is so good. Movie, and music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Snowpiercer

Possibly helped by having seen the film, where it has a great presence... but this is great. I've not enjoyed a Beltrami this much in some time.

Nice score, works great in the (very troubled and badly executed) film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    christopher wrote

I recently re-discovered that score myself and I have to agree: to me it's Hisaishi's loveliest work to date.

biggrin

Shame that legendary animation studio is seems to be having problems and thinking of actually closing down.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROBOCOP 2 - Leonard Rosenman

The choral 'Roooobo-cop' is cheesy but on the whole I really enjoy this score. I like Rosenman's technique and orchestrations and it's in typical use here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bicentennial Man James Horner

I don't think this was a good idea...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nope, wasn't a good idea. I need something a little less heavy...

Superman Johnny

Best comic book/superhero score. Fact.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Superman Johnny

Some people would argue against that. And they would be wrong. Fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed they would. What example could they come up with that tops this score?

¯_(ツ)_/¯
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Apparently this forum doesn't support backslash... uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Superman Johnny

Some people would argue against that. And they would be wrong. Fact.

Double FACTS!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Demetris wrote
    Martijn wrote
    christopher wrote

biggrin

Shame that legendary animation studio is seems to be having problems and thinking of actually closing down.

Indeed.

NP - COCOON - James Horner.

"Ascension" is just jaw-droppingly huge. I love it. The theme is gorgeous, too. Ah, the 80's were good for film music.