• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2014
    Martijn wrote
    I know the score very well, it's easily my favourite Davis CD!

Perhaps you or Tim will win an autographed copy. There are no rules that say you can't win multiple times my friend.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    He scored a film about golf? shocked

Interesting departure!

Yes and it is beautiful !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think Poledouris was in the temp-track (and actually was the primary composer on the film, but had to bow out?) and Goldsmith wanted to do some kind of a loving homage to Anvil of Crom with the rhythm at the beginning? It was something like that.

Hans Zimmer - Hannibal

This actually was my all-time favourite Hans score for quite a while, though I never got around to really getting to all the original classical influences to this one. It did however inspire me to listen to Mahler's 5th Symphony which features the evergreen Adagietto, one of my all-time favorite single classical pieces.

It's a very good score, quite valued at the time. And it ages very well due to a very classical sound at heart and actually, very romantic ("romantic comedy" - that's how Hans described the film). It's quite conceptual at heart and I actually DO have an article about this, but never got around to actually translate it to English. It's all by design. Even the dialogue. And it's a rare case where it actually fits.

It's weird to talk about a score called like that and not connected in any way to the Carthaginian leader... but it IS like revisiting an old friend smile .

Hannibal is fantastic. Touching, esoteric and heartfelt, a glorious blend of "next to be" Zimmer DaVincisms with romantic era and baroque style writing. Loved this era of Zimmer writing. When he was more restrained and very personal when It comes to composition. Closed in his studio creating personal music without extra incompatible to his style collaborations that litter his style.
  1. NP: Les Inconturnables Vol. 1 (Valdimir Cosma)

I just listened to "Reality" from La Boum" (1980). I was nine years old back then. If I remember correctly I saw the film about three years later. I did not care for the plot whatsoever but man was Sophie Marceau the epitome of cuteness! I had as big a crush on her as anyone else. love She still is a mighty beautiful lady!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    Hercules - Fernando Velázquez

Okay. Second play through brings some clarity.
    It's such an unevenly mixed bag really.
    Best described as containing thin slices of awesome segments mixed into a soup of mediocrity.

Which is such a shame for such a great composer don't you think ?

Atham wrote
    Guardians of the Galaxy - Tyler Bates

I'm a fan of the film so I'll turn a blind eye to whatever flaws (temp-track love etc) this score contains.
    It has some nice moments. It has some cool musical sections scattered throughout. I like it.

Temp track love from Bates again ? WHo does he plagiarise
    This time ? (Haven't heard it yet)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Giver - Marco Beltrami

Well, this is going to be popular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lots of action?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's quite Howard/Shyamalan-like. Oooh, aaah. Pretty. This is going to be popular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Expendables 3 - Brian Tyler

I've listened to this for one minute so far and there's been no sign of the previous scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    After two minutes there is still no sign. Much more electronic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014
    Turtles Tyler

So very, very enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think Poledouris was in the temp-track (and actually was the primary composer on the film, but had to bow out?) and Goldsmith wanted to do some kind of a loving homage to Anvil of Crom with the rhythm at the beginning? It was something like that.

Jerry Goldsmith was Paul Verhoeven's only choice (when he direct "intelligent" movies, paraphrasing, natch!). Only the main Conan piece was in the temp, Paul really liked it, and Goldsmith agreed to adapt it for the main credits sequence. I remember listening to Paul talk about this in the director's commentary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote

Hmmm, not recommended?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    It's quite Howard/Shyamalan-like. Oooh, aaah. Pretty. This is going to be popular.

That's a good thing. Can you reference a prior Marco score that's similar to it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote

Hmmm, not recommended?

I liked it, but not quite as much as the previous one. It's definitely a bit more "modern" - but that may mean that some people like it more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote

That's a good thing. Can you reference a prior Marco score that's similar to it?

It's so much more melodic than he usually is, I can't really think of one! It's more like a slightly more restrained Lady in the Water.
  2. lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Jerry Goldsmith was Paul Verhoeven's only choice (when he direct "intelligent" movies, paraphrasing, natch!). Only the main Conan piece was in the temp, Paul really liked it, and Goldsmith agreed to adapt it for the main credits sequence. I remember listening to Paul talk about this in the director's commentary.

Yeah, but wasn't that "deal" with Goldsmith scoring the "intelligent" stuff (Flesh + Blood and Robocop would beg to differ) made after Total Recall?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Funnily enough that is why I gave my first copy of Total Recall away: I thought it was WAY to Poledourissy!
    God knows what I ws thinking. confused
    Goldsmith paraphrasing Poledouris? Life just doesn't get any better!

In later years, with greater wisdom, I repurchased it, of course. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bernard Herrmann's "Jane Eyre" from 1942. So many things to recommend about this one. I feel a review coming.
    Tom K.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The Expendables 3 - Brian Tyler

I've listened to this for one minute so far and there's been no sign of the previous scores.

It only holds the main theme and all is buried under noisy electronics which seems to equal for most major action scores these days .
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote

It's so much more melodic than he usually is, I can't really think of one! It's more like a slightly more restrained Lady in the Water.

What about I Am Dina?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Tyler's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles should win an award for the most predictable score in the history of Hollywood. That being said, it is full of entertaining orchestra and choir moments. If only the chord progressions weren't so terribly familiar...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Wahey, you just described every Brian Tyler action score ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FIELD OF DREAMS (James Horner)

This is a great example of how much my taste has changed over the last 20 years. Back when I got the CD in the 90s, I disliked it because it was too slow and textural. Not energetic enough. So I sold it. Well, I recently reacquired this in digital format, and found that it's RIGHT up my "new" alley. Gorgeous.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I had a similar reassessment of the score, but for different reasons. At first it was something a bit too over the place and too synth based (and I rarely like Horner's synthesizer sounds), but now I found the coherence in it, so I love it.
  5. Alex North - The Sound of Fury

Great.

Thank God for Spotify, so I can get a better knowledge than I already have. It's shocking how little I know of North's career. Spartacus (the original album) and Goldsmith's re-recording of 2001 is not quite enough. But he will be definitely a composer to my liking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture Jerry Goldsmith

I can't imagine there's a greater score than this.