• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: It's A Wonderful Life - Dimitri Tiomkin

Came across this today on Amazon/iTunes and was wondering what the details of it were. Having a look at Soundtrackcollector.com and listening to the quality of the audio I have the feeling that this version may be a release of the David Newman/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra re-recording released in 1988 by Telarc:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Wonderful-L … p;sr=1-531

Released by a label called "Marmot Music", this may be one of these digital-only labels that take advantage of the uncertainties of copyright in the digital marketplace? But nice to at last have a version of this score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2014 edited
    That Newman conducted album is superb. Too bad there weren't any more Sundance Institute recordings produced.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. NP: Five cues from Stalingrad (1993) - Enjott Schneider

A great score!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Schneider is a talented composer.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2014
    Legend - Jerry Goldsmith

Oh, my old, generally-unloved friend. It has been too long. You are as magnificent as a buxom wench, as welcome as a gift of Chocolate Orange on a winter's night. You get a TEN FROM LEN and ELEVEN FROM ME to give you a total score of 21/20.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2014
    Masada - Jerry Goldsmith

The original album - which is magnificent in its own right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David OC wrote
    Masada - Jerry Goldsmith

I much prefer this recording over the original soundtrack recording.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Me too, has a much better flow to it.

Willard - Shirley Walker

Over the years how often how you found that the long sought-after releases of scores you loved in a film turn out to be a disappointment on CD? Not so here. I love this score to death. Herrmann-esque in many ways of course, but also filled to the brim with Walker's unique perspective on the genre and a compositional brilliance that's all her own.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    David OC wrote
    Masada - Jerry Goldsmith

-Erik-

I am a little confused here: By "original album" you mean the MCA/VS album, the re-recording? In that case I agree, I also prefer that presentation.
    Anyhow, the OST album is a very fine release, too.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    David OC wrote
    Masada - Jerry Goldsmith

-Erik-

I am a little confused here: By "original album" you mean the MCA/VS album, the re-recording? In that case I agree, I also prefer that presentation.
    Anyhow, the OST album is a very fine release, too.

Volker

I agree with Erik too. The rerecording ( it's original release ) is better.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. NP: The Best Years of our Live - Hugo Friedhover
    London Philharmonic Orchestra, Franco Collura on Label X

This came with the mail today. The sound is much better than that of the Membrane edition, I mentioned a few days ago. Whatever source they used? Finally I have got a top notch presentation of that wonderful recording.

Volker
  6. NP: Gunfight on the O.K. Corral (1957) - Dimitri Tiomkin

That release is one of last year's jaw droppers.

Volker
  7. NP: Lincoln (2012) - John Williams

Brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Lincoln (2012) - John Williams

Brilliant!

I think my intense dislike of the most boringly dreary worth-fest since Warren Beatty's REDS in 1981, LINCOLN has soured my taste for Williams score
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Why don't you watch some un-altered original STAR WARS on your old VHS tapes as counter therapy? cheesy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Infamous 2 - The Blue Soundtrack - James Dooley

I enjoy the raw/organic sound that James has came up for the game. Much more so than any of his electronic-leaning scores for television and games.
  9. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Brilliant!

I think my intense dislike of the most boringly dreary worth-fest since Warren Beatty's REDS in 1981, LINCOLN has soured my taste for Williams score

I make it a point never to allow my opinion of a movie to sour my opinion of its score (how could I enjoy Godzilla or Cutthroat Island as much as I do otherwise?). Interestingly, it's worked the other way around, though...The Social Network being a prime example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ideally, yes. Though sometimes a score can be hard to separate from the film if it's made a strong impact, whether good or bad.
  10. NP: To the Wonder (Hanan Townshend)

Good dreamy music to work by.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: To the Wonder (Hanan Townshend)

Good dreamy music to work by.

A lovely score -- for me a perfect companion piece to Johannsson's PRISONERS.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I should get (and listen to) PRISONERS. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  12. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Brilliant!

I make it a point never to allow my opinion of a movie to sour my opinion of its score (how could I enjoy Godzilla or Cutthroat Island as much as I do otherwise?). Interestingly, it's worked the other way around, though...The Social Network being a prime example.

That sounds nice, but I can't help it. Case in point: NOW YOU SEE ME was a score I thought was pretty cool until I saw the movie. I found the film so ridiculous that the score has now been tainted for me. Too bad. I liked it. Now when I hear it all I can think of is the eye-roll inducing finale of that film.
  13. Interesting coincidence - I'm listening to the 80-minute promo of that right now! There's some good unreleased stuff ("Breeze" in particular) although really, the 25-minute commercial album did quite a decent job of including all the necessary pieces. This longer version allows the whole score to breathe much better, though, rather than whipping recklessly from highlight to highlight the way the commercial album did (often within the same cue). But it runs into the usual problem with Tyler...after about the halfway point, you start noticing how much he repeats his material. And it's not that the album is too long...I've heard scores twice this length that sustain themselves no problem.

Incidentally, have you folks seen the quite surprising 5-star reviewthis score got over at Filmtracks recently? I mean, I like the score, but... shocked

As for the movie, it's stupid as all hell, but like I said, I won't hold that against Tyler. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2014
    That's just one person's viewpoint Edmund. He obviously loves it a lot. Fair nuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Didn't you know that Christian's word is scripture!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2014 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

And I've never understood why some people hold his reviews in such high regard?
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Pollock - Jeff Beal

Great to again hear this early breakthrough score for Beal. Full of melody and invention even if it has a very strong whiff of Mark Isham and Thomas Newman about it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JACK REACHER - Joe Kraemer

This is very good. Great to hear a thriller score that doesn't continually wallop you over the head with a mallet full of synths and orchestra. I'd like to hear more from Kraemer.
  14. Have you seen the film? It's a great throwback into the 1970s. Most of action scenes are actually left unscored, including a car chase!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  15. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

And I've never understood why some people hold his reviews in such high regard?

The guy can argue well, if he wants to, but there are scores that he just doesn't understand at all, like The Thin Red Line, Blade Runner (2 stars), etc.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website