• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Superman Returns (2006) - John Ottman / John Williams
    Expanded edition on LLL.
    This release really shines! The sound is brilliant, maybe even better than the sound of the original release that was great already.
    Volker

Anyone know who was the engineer on that recording?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Sorry, can't tell. Since my physical collection is at my parent's place and I am currently listening to mp3s at my place, I have no access to the booklet.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014
    Casey Stone.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. NP: Frank Herbert's Dune (2000) - Graeme Revell

This score always suffered fom comparison with Toto's (amd Eno's) great score for Davis Lynch's big screen adaptation of Herbert's classic novel. I'm not sure if such a comparison makes any sense at all.
    In my books, both the mini series and it's score are underrated. Revell has crafted an ambient, moody score, more in line with Brian Eno than Toto. Great stuff, if you ask me.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2014
    Nice one Captain, I feel like playing something "similar"...

NP : DUNE - Toto

Excellent! I've always loved this score.

Here's a bit of trivia. Did you know that QUINCY JONES was originally slated to score this?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. 47 Ronin - Ilan Eshkeri

Pretty enjoyable. Probably the best post-Stardust score of his I've heard. Some particularly vivid orchestral action writing in this, with brass slurring/clusters a la Nicholas Dodd. Love the rapid, stylized string writing in "Dutch Island Fugue" as well! Unfortunately there are also rather a lot of dead spots on the lengthy album; "Tengu" grinds things to a halt for a good six-plus minutes, and nothing much happens in the opening cue either...

It's a shame that films like this and Renny Harlin's Hercules are tanking. Hopefully studio execs don't think it's because of the composers... rolleyes
  4. Timmer:

Had he have the Fremen sing gospels then? cheesy

Speaking of Quincy Jones: I listend to parts of The Color Purple yesterday. There are some peculiar things about it: The Delerue lift, the legion of people who worked on it, and always the thought how John Williams might have handled the project. But in this case the composer hired the director, not the other way around.
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    47 Ronin - Ilan Eshkeri

Pretty enjoyable. Probably the best post-Stardust score of his I've heard.

That would be THE YOUNG VICTORIA for me. It's a very different kind of score but has some fantastically gorgeous music.
  6. NP: The Core (2003) - Christopher Young

This score was hyped in its time. Something that never really translated to me. Now, noone seems to be speaking about it any longer. Curious.

Volker

Edit: I seem to like it much better this time around ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It is AMAZING! Then, and now. Brilliant, massive and ballsy score. We need more of this (not the crappy movie though).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    It is AMAZING! Then, and now. Brilliant, massive and ballsy score. We need more of this (not the crappy movie though).

I actually love the movie, but then again I have a thing for sci fi of this type.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wyatt Earp - James Newton Howard

Absolutely spectacular. His best score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    One of, definitely. I'm not sure I could place it above his best Shyamalamalam scores though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    One of, definitely. I'm not sure I could place it above his best Shyamalamalam scores though.

I would place most of JNH's scores above the Shyamalan efforts. Except maybe THE VILLAGE. I like that one.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, but you're really weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Even by Thor's standards that is weird. JNH's pyramid of quality, with one of my own recordings added for illustrative purposes:

Wyatt Earp
    Snow Falliing on Cedars ~ Some Shyamalan
    Some other Shyamalan
    <MASSIVE GAP>
    Recording of me having diarrhoea
    Everything else
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2014
    So not a big JNH fan, then, I take it?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Massive fan of his good stuff (i.e. Wyatt Earp, Snow Falling on Cedars and most of the Shyamalan). My pyramid diagram was slightly oversimplified because I also quite like some other things.

But no other film composer blows quite so hot and cold for me. His stuff comes across as either great or terrible, most of the time.

Interesting to read in the Wyatt Earp liner notes that he said he made a conscious decision to stop writing music like that because he didn't like it any more, preferred more textural music afterwards. Good news for you, probably.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, but you're really weird.

Actually, he's weirtarded!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    Even by Thor's standards that is weird. JNH's pyramid of quality, with one of my own recordings added for illustrative purposes:

Wyatt Earp
    Snow Falliing on Cedars ~ Some Shyamalan
    Some other Shyamalan
    <MASSIVE GAP>
    Recording of me having diarrhoea
    Everything else

And it's official. You're weirtarded as well. Completely ignore JNH's Disney efforts, for instance, is inexcusable. And no mention of Waterworld? dizzy

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Dinosaur's quite good. That's in the "also quite like some other things" category I revealed in my subsequent post. (The other two are astonishingly overrated shite though. People who like them are weirtarded.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atlantis is shit? Credibility factor going waaaaaaaaay down, Southall.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Atlantis was probably one of the last times a composer went all-out for a mediocre animated film.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atlantis is pretty darn good adventure film. Treasure Planet is too!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Atlantis was probably one of the last times a composer went all-out for a mediocre animated film.

How we easily forget The Greatest Miracle. Tsk tsk.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Parts of it are quite good but a lot is too generic for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    For me, JNH could hardly go wrong in the 80s and 90s, whatever the genre and/or style of music. It was only from the mid 2000s onwards that things started to go a bit 'up and down'. He seemed very conscious about this change of sound himself, especially in the action genre, when I interviewed him in Ghent. Be that as it may, he is still among my Top 10 film composers of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Atlantis is by quite a distance my favorite JNH score. Just spectacular stuff from beginning to end (yes...the five or so minutes of Mickey-mousing in a seventy minute score don't bother me all that much). And yes, the film is very solid and enjoyable! I wish Disney went back to making that kind of thing and I wish it had been more successful when it first came out.

Note: The above opinions may be influenced by childhood nostalgia to a certain degree... shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have no nostalgia for ATLANTIS (I was 24 in 2001, and I don't think I even saw it when it came out), but it's -- for the most part -- a good score. Some of the mickey-mousey action tracks are a bit too noisy for my taste, but then you have something like "The Crystal Chamber", which is one of my favourite JNH tracks of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Parts of it are quite good but a lot is too generic for me.

lol