• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Saturday Night Fever (1977) - Bee Gees; David Shire; Various Artists

Before I bought this CD I did non know about David Shire's involvement. "Manhattan Skyline" is a brilliant cue!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2014
    Steven wrote
    A Rather Excellent Compilation of Breaking Bad Songs

The finale song, Baby Blue, is for me one of 2013's most poignant musical moments (and it's not strictly film music).

cool

Just finished the series a couple of nights back. Boy what a ride, loved it! Shit get's real, yo.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What's great about it is they didn't fuck it up. Like Dexter. Jesus christ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, although not a fan of the breaking bad musical universe, you're right on its consistency. Dexter's musical world has gone to the toilet shortly after the first few seasons (and although i don't watch it densely anymore, the few stuff i see tells me the same about the show i think).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Breaking Bad's musical 'verse may not be to your liking, but there's no denying it works wonders in the series (and if you do deny that, you're nuts).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I rarely care about songs in film music, but man do they work in Breaking bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I do care about songs in film music, I think a well placed song can be just as effective as a well placed score. But I do agree that Breaking Bad is a prime example of song... placing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed. In the past, i'd skip every song regardless, now there are a lot of instances where i enjoy a GOOD song which is well-placed in the narrative, even more than the score. What the fudge is happening to us? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've been like this ever since I watched Ghostbusters when I was about 6...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The most interesting thing is when it's a song that I normally wouldn't listen to, but because I now have some kind of emotional connection with it/the scene it's good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014
    It's like hearing a bad song in a significant time in your life; you'll enjoy hearing it for reasons other than its musical merits (and if it's also a good song, it's a bonus!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    "The Goonies R Good Enough" for the win!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. I've been catching up on some 2013 scores I've been meaning to get my hands on for a while. Here they are in order of goodness.

COPPERHEAD - Laurent Eyquem

This guy came out of nowhere last year. I'd never heard of him before this score, and then he up and writes two of my favorite scores of the year. I hope he gets more projects this year. I really like him. This score is just lovely from start to finish. It's almost in danger of being too lovely for too long. That's a problem I don't get to deal with often enough when listening to an entire score. Good stuff!

BELLE ET SEBASTIEN - Armand Amar

I haven't heard very many people mentioning this score, which is a shame. It's also very good. While not as consistently enjoyable as COPPERHEAD, its highs are higher. It's orchestral and melodic throughout. It's almost always beautiful, and occasionally grand. I strongly recommend this score.

PUPPETEER - Patrick Doyle

This is a fun little score. It's nothing terribly noteworthy by Doyle's standards, but it's fun.

ZIPI Y ZAPE - Fernando Velasquez

It's clearly music to a children's film, but it's well composed. That last track is especially good.

LA MIGLIORE OFFERTA - Ennio Morricone

A nice opening track gives way to a score that I ended up not caring for too much. It's fine, just not a whole lot going on. It is incredible to listen to something new composed by Morricone. Just think about how long that man has been writing film/tv music. Incredible.

GANGSTER SQUAD - Steve Jablonsky

Ho hum. Not really my kind of score.

JOHN DIES AT THE END - Brian Tyler

Yuck.

THE MISSING PICTURE - Marc something or other

Double Yuck. I don't expect a score for a film depicting the atrocities of Pol Pot to sound nice, though. It depicts the awfulness of Cambodia during that time quite well. It's just absolutely horrid to listen to.
  3. Now not playing:

Superman Returns
    Star Trek Nemesis
    The Abyss and
    Gravity

arrived today and I have no time to listen to them. slant

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    christopher wrote
    THE MISSING PICTURE - Marc something or other

Double Yuck. I don't expect a score for a film depicting the atrocities of Pol Pot to sound nice, though. It depicts the awfulness of Cambodia during that time quite well. It's just absolutely horrid to listen to.

Ha! I saw the documentary and don't remember the music very much. You should check it out though. Clay figures and large sets to create the history. The director, a survivor of the regime, is the only voice you will hear. A bit harsh and cold at times though but well made.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote

I haven't heard very many people mentioning this score, which is a shame. It's also very good. While not as consistently enjoyable as COPPERHEAD, its highs are higher. It's orchestral and melodic throughout. It's almost always beautiful, and occasionally grand. I strongly recommend this score.

It is a shame, i am a big admirer of Amar's music and i haven't heard any score this year from him, neither this or POUR UNE FEMME. Have you heard that one too?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014 edited
    NP : RAISE THE TITANIC - John Barry

Take some Black Hole, mix in some Bond, particularly Moonraker and viola!!!!

This is great, love it!

p.s. This must be one of the worst film music ALBUM COVERS
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    NP : RAISE THE TITANIC - John Barry

Take some Black Hole, mix in some Bond, particularly Moonraker and viola!!!!

This is great, love it!

I am much more reminded of Out of Africa and Dances with Wolves. Raise the Titanic seems to forshadow those later scores.

p.s. This must be one of the worst film music ALBUM COVERS

Why? confused

smile Volker
  5. NP: Gravity (2013) - Steven Price

Wow, an Eno-esque ambient science fiction score in the vain of Solaris (both) and Forbidden Planet! I like it!

Volker
  6. Captain Future wrote
    Why? confused

I don't usually have strong opinions about album covers (although I do like having them), but I'm inclined to agree with Tim. The oversized white letters and blocky sans serif font clash horribly with the muted blues and blacks of the background picture. It just looks really clunky.
  7. Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

It is a shame, i am a big admirer of Amar's music and i haven't heard any score this year from him, neither this or POUR UNE FEMME. Have you heard that one too?

I have. And that one is on Spotify, if you're interested. It's good. It's also pretty short. I like the orchestrations (it's mostly piano and a smaller string ensemble if I'm remembering right, and he gets a great sound of them). It's an impressive composition. Not as good as BELLE ET SEBASTIEN, imo, but then only about a dozen score from this year are.
  8. NP: The Abyss (1989) - Alan Silvestri
    On VS 2013

Man, this is a great release. The sound is superb, the score much more complex and melodic than the original release suggests. Such a great, great sici fi score!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKING WITH DINOSAURS - Benjamin Bartlett

One of the best TV scores ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

I have. And that one is on Spotify, if you're interested. It's good. It's also pretty short. I like the orchestrations (it's mostly piano and a smaller string ensemble if I'm remembering right, and he gets a great sound of them). It's an impressive composition. Not as good as BELLE ET SEBASTIEN, imo, but then only about a dozen score from this year are.

Thanks, i will check them out; spotify just came in Cyprus and didn't have the time to set an account up yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    John Williams - Greatest Hits 1969-1999

What else am I going to listen to when I'm drunk?

Drunken posting. We've all done. And if you haven't yet, join me. Please? beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    John Williams - Greatest Hits 1969-1999

What else am I going to listen to when I'm drunk?

Drunken posting. We've all done. And if you haven't yet, join me. Please? beer

Great choice m' man! biggrin

I'm well on my way too. Not enough yet to make Thor style drunken spelling errors yet though wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    *drunken high five*

*misses*

....yeah, John Williams! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Saying! beer wave <-missed again
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014
    Desolation of Smaug

Still can't get tired of listening to this beautiful, thrilling, delicious, unique music. Adding Conrad Pope to the team was the best thing they could have possibly done.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. NP: Superman Returns (2006) - John Ottman / John Williams
    Expanded edition on LLL.

This release really shines! The sound is brilliant, maybe even better than the sound of the original release that was great already.
    The expanded edition totally reveals what an outstanding job Ottman did when tackling this daunting task. He can proudly take his place alongside Alexander Courage and Ken Thorne.
    This is a score that truly makes you believe a man can fly.

Volker