• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    You've heard his score to THIS IS THE END, right? One of my 2013 honourable mentions.

Nope... not heard that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : IMPRESSIONS OF AMERICA - Patrick Doyle

I know this should be on the other ( and far more interesting ) Off Topic NP thread but for this exception since it was being discussed here...

Demetris wrote

Impressions of America is supposed to convince me otherwise? I found it awful, childish and out of his league.

There's not many Copland-ish moments here. It's fine to have your own opinion that it's awful D but I don't understand your added scorn? It's neither childish ( childish? eh!???? confused ) nor out of his league.

I think it's a lovely album and a very pleasurable listen.

I wouldn't use the word 'awful' to describe it. However, it does MEANDER on with endless chord-stop effects (enter sustained chord, hold it, crescendo it, dimminendo it, repeat) that Doyle is so fond of. Considering the subject matter and the composer, I had expected a LOT more.

It's draft, the compositional levels are all kept at very basic, others have done this style way more inspired and complex; sounds like a first year composition college student's work.

crazy

Are you skipping over my post from earlier today on purpose?

You clearly have no idea why the piece was composed, the inspiration behind it and why it is composed is a such a "simplistic" manner.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    You've heard his score to THIS IS THE END, right? One of my 2013 honourable mentions.

Only Special people that get promos have this score, and for some strange reason this one has not leaked anywhere, yet. Probably because it's so good and it assuages people's egos to hang onto it. I can't think of any other legitimate reason why good stuff is usually kept under wraps and yet crappy promos surface all the time.

Yet another situation in which copyright laws accomplish no particular good, and only prevent more people from enjoying good art. Who is profiting from us not being able to hear Jackman's score? Absolutely no one. Even if it were released someday, whether or not it's available as a promo now has absolutely zero impact on the likelihood that I would buy it if it was released. Senselessness all around. crazy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Only Special people that get promos have this score, and for some strange reason this one has not leaked anywhere, yet. Probably because it's so good and it assuages people's egos to hang onto it. I can't think of any other legitimate reason why good stuff is usually kept under wraps and yet crappy promos surface all the time.

Yet another situation in which copyright laws accomplish no particular good, and only prevent more people from enjoying good art. Who is profiting from us not being able to hear Jackman's score? Absolutely no one. Even if it were released someday, whether or not it's available as a promo now has absolutely zero impact on the likelihood that I would buy it if it was released. Senselessness all around. crazy

Jesus! So are you saying that I (along with the rest of the people who got the promo and were told NOT to leak it) should have leaked it just because you want it for free?

dizzy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes. And you can't give me a single good reason why you shouldn't, that isn't legal red-tape-style BS. Just my opinion. An opinion that will be fully backed up by my actions when I am a successful artist in my field(s).
  1. One good reason not to leak it to you is because you want it as a freebie.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It's not available to be bought, so that is utterly irrelevant to this conversation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Yes. And you can't give me a single good reason why you shouldn't, that isn't legal red-tape-style BS.

That's the only reason! Thank Christ you aren't someone who gets this music for free. People who share this stuff for free with the rest of the world and break the trust of the composers, PR agencies, agents and labels are bad for film music. FACT!

Scribe wrote
    Yes. And you can't give me a single good reason why you shouldn't, that isn't legal red-tape-style BS. Just my opinion. An opinion that will be fully backed up by my actions when I am a successful artist in my field(s).

What drugs are you on currently? Serious question. BTW, your opinion on this matter is completely and 110% irrelevant in this conversation. You have ZERO say as to what we can and cannot do with the music we are given.

Z-E-R-O!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    So you think the opinions of rabid film music fans...

in other words...the only flipping people who will EVER consistently give money to the film music industry...

are completely irrelevant?

Okay then. Continue on your path. Have fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'll also add that if y'all think the opinions of film music fans don't matter, the opinions of those who love film music so much that they'll do whatever it takes, legal or not, to obtain said beloved music, then you only have yourselves to thank for the current state of film music that is almost always only functional, and hardly ever transcendent, almost never something that anyone would ever want to bother to listen to, unless they were a fan of the film itself and want to relive it. Thanks for killing film music as a separate entity from films, people with views like Erik is expressing here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    I'll also add that if y'all think the opinions of film music fans don't matter, the opinions of those who love film music so much that they'll do whatever it takes, legal or not, to obtain said beloved music, then you only have yourselves to thank for the current state of film music that is almost always only functional, and hardly ever transcendent, almost never something that anyone would ever want to bother to listen to, unless they were a fan of the film itself and want to relive it. Thanks for killing film music as a separate entity from films, people with views like Erik is expressing here.

Boy, you're something else. dizzy

I didn't say that the opinions of fans don't matter... it's just on this matter it's DOESN'T matter. You have no say as to how Jackman's score to THIS IS THE END should be handled. None whatsoever. It sucks for you that it's not commercially available but just because it's isn't available to purchase doesn't mean I, or the others that got this album from Jackman, are allowed to share it with you.

By the way, I'm a fan of film music and have done more for film music then you ever will, pal!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm sorry, I didn't know being a film music fan was primarily about what each one of our particular egos had accomplished. If I were in the game of bashing egos, I would say that I as a human being will someday have the ear of far more millions than any of you will likely have, unless some of you also have hidden talents I would be excited to hear about. But screw that. Egoism sucks. I thought it was about love and passion and wanting as many people as possible to hear the best possible music. I guess I was wrong. So move along.

The fact is, I think Jackman is awesome, I think all his music should be easily available so that everyone can discover how awesome it is, and as a Jackman fan I desperately want to be more easily able to listen to This Is The End, and for everyone else to be able to hear it also. End of story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Moral of the story: Special people shouldn't brag about having scores they know darn well the peons aren't allowed to listen to. Save that for your Special private message boards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Moral of the story: Special people shouldn't brag about having scores they know darn well the peons aren't allowed to listen to. Save that for your Special private message boards.

Actually, on the contrary, it's the special people's job to talk about those scores to better help promote the music and the composer. But that's something you wouldn't understand.

Scribe wrote
    I'm sorry, I didn't know being a film music fan was primarily about what each one of our particular egos had accomplished.

Actually, I was replying to your remark about me killing film music. I take great offense and have zero respect for anyone that thinks I'm killing film music.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Actually, on the contrary, it's the special people's job to talk about those scores to better help promote the music and the composer. But that's something you wouldn't understand.

What exactly are you accomplishing by promoting something that no one is allowed to buy? Is this part of some secret viral marketing plot to suddenly unleash the score release upon us all? If so, I don't like that stuff. Just be honest and upfront about things already.

Actually, I was replying to your remark about me killing film music. I take great offense and have zero respect for anyone that thinks I'm killing film music.

I take no offense and have great respect for you and what you do, but I still think the attitude you exhibit about the technicalities of legality of music availability, is helping kill film music as its own entity. Take that as you will.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

What exactly are you accomplishing by promoting something that no one is allowed to buy? Is this part of some secret viral marketing plot to suddenly unleash the score release upon us all? If so, I don't like that stuff. Just be honest and upfront about things already.

It's call generating interest. If enough of us promote it then maybe a record label might take interest, see that there is some buzz and then eventually release it. It's happened before.

Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wroteActually, I was replying to your remark about me killing film music. I take great offense and have zero respect for anyone that thinks I'm killing film music.

I take no offense and have great respect for you and what you do, but I still think the attitude you exhibit about the technicalities of legality of music availability, is helping kill film music as its own entity. Take that as you will.

Do you expect me to break my word to the composers, agencies, labels, etc who have explicitly told me NOT to share the music I get with anyone? My radio show would be FINISHED and my reputation in the film music industry would be crushed if I ever did that. Does that make sense to you?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's call generating interest. If enough of us promote it then maybe a record label might take interest, see that there is some buzz and then eventually release it. It's happened before.

Well, we are probably generating more attention about this particular score than if I had just said "yeah man, I heard that illegal promo too". So mission accomplished? biggrin

Erik Woods wrote
    Do you expect me to break my word to the composers, agencies, labels, etc who have explicitly told me NOT to share the music I get with anyone? My radio show would be FINISHED and my reputation in the film music industry would be crushed if I ever did that. Does that make sense to you?

Yes, it makes perfect sense.
    It's just that if I had a radio show, I might be a little more lenient towards the idea of said music being secretly shared, because I love sharing things that I love. That's probably why you have a radio show, and I don't smile
  2. Are we still aloud to talk about the music we're listening to in this thread?

If so, I'd like to say that I just finished my first complete listen to THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG. It was long. My favorite tracks were the pleasanter ones, "Feast of Starlight," "The Forest River," "Kingsfoil," and especially "Beyond the Forest." There was a lot of music that just went by without doing much more than convey a general sense of danger. Not that those dwarves were ever in danger. Apparently nothing can kill those fellows. Not orcs, not woodland elves, not giant spiders, not dragon fire blown at them several dozen times. . . .
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    Are we still aloud to talk about the music we're listening to in this thread?

NO!

wink

christopher wrote
    If so, I'd like to say that I just finished my first complete listen to THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG. It was long. My favorite tracks were the pleasanter ones, "Feast of Starlight," "The Forest River," "Kingsfoil," and especially "Beyond the Forest." There was a lot of music that just went by without doing much more than convey a general sense of danger. Not that those dwarves were ever in danger. Apparently nothing can kill those fellows. Not orcs, not woodland elves, not giant spiders, not dragon fire blown at them several dozen times. . . .

lol

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    christopher wrote

It would have made a more powerful film if half of them had died by the end. But then the purists would have been all full of whinging about how it deviated more from the book...
  3. Indeed, but you've got so many built in extra in that crew of dwarves. You've got to take some artistic license. You could kill half of them and very few people would even notice.

As a final note on the score, I have to say that I find it odd that the best music written for the film is for a character that Jackson invented out of thin air.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Indeed. It's the inevitable result of stretching a 2 hour story into 7 or 8 hours. By all rights the emotional heart of the story should have been Bilbo and Thorin's relationship and what happens to them in the end. But Jackson decided to stretch that plot out so thin that it's almost unrecognizable in the first two parts of the final product. There had to be an alternate emotional core, or the whole film would have been nothing but empty suspense and dread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    christopher wrote

It would have made a more powerful film if half of them had died by the end. But then the purists would have been all full of whinging about how it deviated more from the book...

You know what... there's a great quote in the first film (not sure if the line is in the book or not) where Peter Jackson basically gives the finger to anyone who questions the fact that he turned this book into three films.

After Gandolf tells of the of tale of Bilbo's Great-Great-Great-Great Uncle Bullroarer Took, Bilbo responds with the following...

Bilbo Baggins: I do believe you made that up.

And Gandolf answers with...

Gandalf: Well, all good stories deserve embellishment.

And that's exactly what Jackson is doing with The Hobbit.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Exactly. I love what Jackson is doing and I wish more people would feel the same way, or else we won't get many more shamelessly indulgent big budget films in the future...they'll all be paint-by-numbers rubbish where every single creative decision has to be approved by 80% of a committee of a hundred men in suits among whom the word "quirky" will be a grave insult...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I still think the films are about an hour too long each. A lot could be cut to tighten them up. I mean, the sing orc, troll, goblin, whatever that was in An Unfinished Journey... That's George Lucas Episode I territory right there. vomit

-Erik-
  4. Indeed.

So I just finished playing OLIVETTI: LA FORZA DI UN SOGNO by Paolo Vivaldi for the first time.

It's quite good! This is for an Italian TV movie that aired last October. It's thoroughly lovely. Easily in the best 20 scores for last year, if not in the top 10. I had no problem enjoying it for its entire 88 minute running time, which is really rare for me. A little tightening and it could have been an excellent album. One distraction, however, is that one track, "New Hirement" sounded almost identical to a track from RATATOUILLE (I think it's called "Remi Drives a Linguini"). It's very good, though. Also, the typewriter makes a return as a percussion instrument. Though Marianelli used it much more interestingly in ATONEMENT, the track featuring the typewrite was good enough (it's called "Adriano's Ideas") that I can overlook the less than creative use of the "instrument." This score is definitely worth a listen. It's on Spotify for any who are interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Oh my, Volker. I think the film is fantastic!

-Erik-

Same here. Love it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Vendredit Soir (Tindersticks)

Thor, you'd have to buy this track-by-track off iTunes (it's out of the Claire Denis boxset by Tindersticks), but I'd listen to the samples. A blend of melodic sweetness and ambience that works quite well. The rhapsodic final of 'Sunrise' feels earned.

Thanks for the tip!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Scribe wrote

I would like to clarify that when I wrote this, I was referring to the general concept of unreleased score promos being leaked to the fan community, not saying any particular person like Erik should be leaking anything. I probably didn't make that clear. I still maintain that keeping any film score behind bars does not a single person any good; in fact, it does passive harm to a lot of people whose lives could be further enriched by more good music, and probably lessens the potential buzz around the individual composers whose scores are being kept under wraps. Only uninformed men in suits and those who absorb record company propaganda still think that "file sharing" equates to lost sales. Those of us who love film music and possess money are happy to buy every release we can get our grubby paws on, regardless of whether or not it happened to have been leaked as a promo in the past. Just witness the continuous re-releases by the niche labels of older scores that have already been released multiple times in the past, legally or otherwise. Look at Godzilla. Was the success of that glorious LLLR album harmed by there having been a promo of the score many years earlier? Not at all. If anything, the promo helped the eventual album sales, by keeping the score on people's radars, and letting them know it contained music to be treasured, which is especially important when an unpopular film is involved.

So, it is my firm position that leaked promos do not harm eventual album sales. If anything, they help. Possibly quite a bit. How many people are going to rush to buy a complete Armageddon score if it ever comes out, who would have completely forgotten about the stupid thing by now, if not for the leaked, low-sound-quality recording sessions being so easily available, acting as a self-replicating viral ad campaign for the possibility of a future official remastered album?

I have a vision for an ideal world in which all scores would be released, more profit could go to the actual artists, and every possible album configuration from C&C to 30-minute highlight reels would be easily available. It would require everyone being on the same page and getting along and respecting each other...seems a bit too idealistic for now. But I might type something up about it later.
  5. The Long Tail was written for you. (Economics book from the early 90s about the future of retail.)

Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Vendredit Soir (Tindersticks)

Thor, you'd have to buy this track-by-track off iTunes (it's out of the Claire Denis boxset by Tindersticks), but I'd listen to the samples. A blend of melodic sweetness and ambience that works quite well. The rhapsodic final of 'Sunrise' feels earned.

Thanks for the tip!

Pleasure.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am