• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014
    Steven wrote
    Matt, your Crazy-O-Meter is so off the charts that I suggest you open up your own Guess The Score Clip thread that only you post in.

I would have thought you of all people would have a little more respect. But I guess I was wrong about that too, due to being crazy.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. After the line, the world will be normal again. There will be no more of any of this.

We have crossed the line. Divas and dandies, one and all, return to your corners and play some music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Just checking that still worked after crossing the line.
  2. Technically it was musical. There's even a bit of rhythm in the second post.
  3. NP: Adore (Chris Gordon / Anthony Partos)

Lovely piece of work. We hear drama scores every year, but it's nice when they bring something a little different to the usual piano and strings dynamic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Off-topic: now playing Iron Man 3 - Brian Tyler

Love it. Can't remember what everyone else thought. Theme too simple, or is that just Thor?

Love it , love it, love it! Way better than THOR 2, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. I've been playing some more 2013 scores that I hadn't yet hear until today. My favorites have been...

POUR UNE FEMME - Armand Amar

This is short, but oozing with class. I really liked the string- and piano-heavy score. It wasn't earth-shattering, but I found it quite enjoyable.

RAGNAROK - Magnus Beite

Fans of Andrew Lockington should eat this one up. It sounds like something he could have written for a film like he usually scores. It was fun. More fun than what Lockington actually wrote this year.

Today I also heard...

BIG BAD WOLVES - Frank Ilfman

This was better than I was expecting. I'm not a fan of horror scores, but this was darkly beautiful in places and always listenable.

OLDBOY - Roque Banos

I wasn't too impressed with anything I heard in this one until the last two cues, which both contained some really beautiful music. The first part of that last track is stunning.

And now I'm playing 47 RONIN by Ilan Eshkeri.

It's not too good yet, but it's not really my kind of score. I've heard lots of people praising this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014 edited
    NP: SUMMER IN FEBRUARY (Benjamin Wallfisch)

One of last year's best scores! Very classical (is that why it's out on Deutsche Grampophon?), lush, romantic, large, emotionally immediate.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote

One of last year's best scores! Very classical (is that why it's out on Deutsche Grampophon?), lush, romantic, large, emotionally immediate.

It is interesting that this is released on Deutsche Grammophon. Looking through my database the only other discs I have from that label are the "Previn Conducts Korngold" compilation, The Painted Veil (Desplat), Frida (Goldenthal), Youth Without Youth (Golijov) and The Banquet (Dun).

But the Wallfisch score itself is a bit too "classical" overall for me to really enjoy.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yuja Wang is signed by Deutsche Grammophon, which is why Summer in February was released on that label.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

It is interesting that this is released on Deutsche Grammophon. Looking through my database the only other discs I have from that label are the "Previn Conducts Korngold" compilation, The Painted Veil (Desplat), Frida (Goldenthal), Youth Without Youth (Golijov) and The Banquet (Dun).

But the Wallfisch score itself is a bit too "classical" overall for me to really enjoy.

Too classical?

For me, whenever a film score approaches an almost classical-style sound and structure, I'm sold! Keeping the specificity of film music while at the same time broadening out into more elaborate soundscapes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: QUEEN OF CARTHAGE (Brian Byrne)

This is another of my 2013 favourites. The glorious, melancholic opening song sounds like a slowed-down Bond song, and the rest of the score is equally beautiful.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. If I want a classical score I will choose a Vivaldi, Beethoven, etc. to listen to usually. Unless the melodies, etc make a particular connection.

BTW, I found the Byrne score particularly uninteresting when I listened to it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. NP: Fantastic Voyage (1966) - Leonard Rosenman
    On FSM.

Great score!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

It's lovely! What a great surprise, gorgeous score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: QUEEN OF CARTHAGE (Brian Byrne)

This is another of my 2013 favourites. The glorious, melancholic opening song sounds like a slowed-down Bond song, and the rest of the score is equally beautiful.

Loved it too, very sentimental and beautiful. I don't think it's imitating Baroque or classical material though.
  8. I enjoyed QUEEN OF CARTHAGE. It's quite a nice score. I'm just listening to SUMMER IN FEBRUARY now for the first time (finally - I've wanted to hear this for months). "The Races" is great! That piano is fantastic. The next 5 tracks have been pretty uneventful...
  9. At the risk of taking the board back across the line, can either QUEEN OF CARTHAGE or SUMMER IN FEBRUARY be sampled/purchased?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  10. iTunes? Perhaps not in the Australian store.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Perhaps. I bought it from iTunes a long time ago. I think there's a CD too.
  11. They're both on Spotify, too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    At the risk of taking the board back across the line, can either QUEEN OF CARTHAGE or SUMMER IN FEBRUARY be sampled/purchased?

http://www.amazon.com/Carthage-Original … B00FFYQSY8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Summer-In-Febru … B00D2PB356
  12. Ah spotify- there's an idea!
    Thanks all. I rarely buy a cd these days. Mostly iTunes satisfies needs.
  13. NP: The Spielberg / Williams Colaboration (1990) - John Williams

It's a bit out of date by now but it's still a fantastically produced compilation.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  14. Listened to about 20 minutes of score, via samples on Youtube, from "Alien 3".

I had seen the film over a decade ago, but didn't recall zip about the score, but I've heard good things about it. Interesting score -- I'll have to check out more of it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Spielberg / Williams Colaboration (1990) - John Williams

It's a bit out of date by now but it's still a fantastically produced compilation.

Volker

It's brilliant. So is the sequel album Williams on Williams.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In Einem Wilden Land - Karim Sebastian Elias

OK in parts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A Rather Excellent Compilation of Breaking Bad Songs

The finale song, Baby Blue, is for me one of 2013's most poignant musical moments (and it's not strictly film music).