• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Have you seen the film? It's a great throwback into the 1970s. Most of action scenes are actually left unscored, including a car chase!

Yes. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would ( I'm not a fan of Cruise ) and the score was part of that enjoyment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I'm not a huge fan of Cruise myself, but there are parts where I think he shines. For example Rain Man, where he really acts well, Born on the Fourth of July... Tropic Thunder is quite something, as well biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Didn't you know that Christian's word is scripture!

-Erik-

And I've never understood why some people hold his reviews in such high regard?

The guy can argue well, if he wants to, but there are scores that he just doesn't understand at all, like The Thin Red Line, Blade Runner (2 stars), etc.

I don't mean to blindly defend the guy, as Lord knows I've had my disagreements with him, but I kind of fundamentally dislike it when people claim a reviewer doesn't "get" a score. What is there to "get"? Maybe he just doesn't like the music as much as you do.

And I didn't mean to give the impression that I think his word is "scripture" or anything. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: To the Wonder (Hanan Townshend)

Good dreamy music to work by.

A lovely score -- for me a perfect companion piece to Johannsson's PRISONERS.

True and true! beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The guy can argue well, if he wants to, but there are scores that he just doesn't understand at all, like The Thin Red Line, Blade Runner (2 stars), etc.

I don't mean to blindly defend the guy, as Lord knows I've had my disagreements with him, but I kind of fundamentally dislike it when people claim a reviewer doesn't "get" a score. What is there to "get"? Maybe he just doesn't like the music as much as you do.

And I didn't mean to give the impression that I think his word is "scripture" or anything. rolleyes

And let's not forget that it's music we are talking about, opinions and reviews are all subjective. But people tend to get a bit defensive from times to time about things they like smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm not a huge fan of Cruise myself, but there are parts where I think he shines. For example Rain Man, where he really acts well, Born on the Fourth of July... Tropic Thunder is quite something, as well biggrin

What would that be, 4-5 times in his whole, long career? smile
  3. It's in his arguments. He tries to interpret scores and sometimes he is very much way off-base with what the composer tried to do to fit the picture. If the score is basically leitmotivic in the Golden Age/Star Wars/Wagnerian sense, his calls are very good, but when something for a large project basically goes off that route, he is pretty much mistaken in his interpretations. Then again, the way he perceives music also disallows him to see how leitmotivic The Dark Knight trilogy is. Of course, these scores don't feature leitmotifs in the traditional sense, but rather in a soundscape sense (it's a normal thing for Hans to use sounds rather than tunes to signify something, also in a repetitive, leitmotivic sense - see Joker and Bane).

Something like Patriot Games also is something he didn't really get. I think a masterful stroke by Horner was something that Clemmensen didn't like in particular, scoring a sequence like The Hit "oblivious" of what's happening on screen, concentrating rather on Ryan's slow discovery of what the plan really is. But yeah, scoring against the picture is not exactly something he's a fan of.

I could give a lot of examples like that.
  4. Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm not a huge fan of Cruise myself, but there are parts where I think he shines. For example Rain Man, where he really acts well, Born on the Fourth of July... Tropic Thunder is quite something, as well biggrin

What would that be, 4-5 times in his whole, long career? smile

About 10-15. Cruise was actually getting good material around the early 1990s. I've heard he's *brilliant* in Magnolia, where he actually acted for free... It's about the material he chooses and is given.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

But that's part of disagreeing. You did that same at Filmtracks recently concerning CC's review of The World's End.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote

I find him too intense. He has been very good in some films ( IMO ), yes, Born On The 4th of July, Rain Man.... I would add Collateral, Color of Money, War of The Worlds, all films where his intensity worked. I also quite liked him in Jack Reacher though I have no connection to the character of the books ( described as a hugely build 6'5 man, so obviously Tom is perfect casting ) which I haven't read.

I also can't help the fact that he's amongst the top scientologists from prejudicing my feelings towards him despite the fact he always comes across as a decent man when interviewed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Try Tropic Thunder, one of my favourite recent self-deprecating performances smile .
  6. NP: Gli Ultimi Giorni di Pompeij / The Last Days of Pompeii (1959) - Angelo F. Lavagnino
    On Digitmovies / Sugar, 2012.

After principal director Mario Bonnard fell ill, second unit director Sergio Leone took over and completed the film.

The monaural recording sounds stellar. Lavagnino's multi thematic orchestral score is a classic example of Italian Golden Age film music.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

But that's part of disagreeing. You did that same at Filmtracks recently concerning CC's review of The World's End.

True...I said just there that I do have significant disagreements with him (as I do with all reviewers except for myself wink ) but at least I can see where he's coming from. I've always felt that a good reviewer (of anything) is not necessarily someone you always agree with, but rather someone where if you read the review, you can tell whether or not you would like what's being reviewed - regardless of whether the reviewer him/herself does.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    NP : JACK REACHER - Joe Kraemer

This is very good. Great to hear a thriller score that doesn't continually wallop you over the head with a mallet full of synths and orchestra. I'd like to hear more from Kraemer.

Hopefully Kraemer will score the next Mission Impossible.
  8. I find that score completely dull outside of the excellent main title cue.
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I find that score completely dull outside of the excellent main title cue.

I don't even find that main theme so amazing
    a basic 3 star score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. NP: Clash of the Titans (1981) - Laurence Rosenthal
    Performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.
    Orchestrated by Herbert W. Spencer.

Those were the days ... cool

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I've always felt that a good reviewer (of anything) is not necessarily someone you always agree with, but rather someone where if you read the review, you can tell whether or not you would like what's being reviewed - regardless of whether the reviewer him/herself does.

The first thing I look for in a critic is the quality of writing. Then, for one I get to "know" through reading enough of his or her work - there needs to be a certain consistency of opinion. If someone thinks X is great and Y is awful but then I experience them and really, X is very similar to Y, then I stop reading that person.
  11. Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I've always felt that a good reviewer (of anything) is not necessarily someone you always agree with, but rather someone where if you read the review, you can tell whether or not you would like what's being reviewed - regardless of whether the reviewer him/herself does.

The first thing I look for in a critic is the quality of writing. Then, for one I get to "know" through reading enough of his or her work - there needs to be a certain consistency of opinion. If someone thinks X is great and Y is awful but then I experience them and really, X is very similar to Y, then I stop reading that person.

It's interesting that you say that, because I do sometimes find myself wondering how someone can love Inception so much but not like the Dark Knight scores... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I knew I was leaving the door open to something! I gave the Dark Knight scores decent enough reviews, as albums they're OK even if they fail as film scores. Inception succeeds as both!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Krull James Horner

This is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Krull did you say?

Hmmm, I might have to check that one out.
    wink
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014
    Images - John Williams

Fascinating, if only for being like nothing else in his body of work, though of course it's a very fine score in its own right. Some eerie atonality here that I love and an addictive melody early on that I can't get out of my head.
  12. CRESTFALLEN - Henrik Skram

First listen. Not much to it so far.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    christopher wrote
    CRESTFALLEN - Henrik Skram

First listen. Not much to it so far.

Very sincere effort for what I hear is a mediocre film. Skram has an amazing sensitivity for colours and texture, and uses melody in a sparing, but effective way. I'm looking forward to hearing the new score for the recent "Amnesia" smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014 edited
    Atham wrote
    Krull did you say?

Hmmm, I might have to check that one out.
    wink

FEEL IT SON, FEEL IT! LET THE SPIRIT OF THE GLAIVE ENTER YOUR BODY AND SHOUT IT LOUD AND SHOUT IT PROUD KRRRRRRRUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Legend of Hercules - Tuomas Kantelinen

Ummmm... is this Kantelinen or Steve Jablonsky?! It's enjoyable enough (i.e. it's definitely the former) but this is not what I expected to hear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DONE!!!

phew ......I feel so much better now!
  13. Atham wrote
    DONE!!!

phew ......I feel so much better now!

Context.

It's everything. wink

(think about it..... ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.