• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2014
    FYI:

The BuySoundtrax label released Mike Vicker's DRACULA A.D. 1972 in 2009, in 2010 they issued James Bernard's THE LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES and in 2011 they did THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA by John Cacavas.

I'm not aware of any further Hammer titles being released in 2012 or 2013 ... and so far 2014 hasn't yet yielded anything Hammer...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2014
    thanks for the update
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2014 edited
    Also ... I'm referring to 'classic' Hammer.

There are some new Hammer soundtracks, such as Marco Beltrami's 2012 THE WOMAN IN BLACK and 2014's THE QUIET ONES by Lucas Vidal.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2014 edited
    .... The Space Vampires!

# 34 LIFEFORCE - HENRY MANCINI

This one came out of leftfield for me when I first bought it on LP at the time of the films release. Henry Mancini doing science fiction? How odd I thought!? Of course, at that time I was somehow unaware that this was Mancini going back to his 1950's sci-fi/horror roots and what a score it is! Mancini writes brilliantly for choir which is often used subtly and the orchestrations are marvellous, the main theme is in the form of a march and what a corker it is, there are many composers who'd sell their granny to write a theme this good and this memorable. This is a score that transports you way beyond the confines of film and into the deepest and darkest depths of space.

I should point out that my choice of album is the old 30 and a bit minute release by MILAN that makes it a wholly satisfying listen for me. I have ( and love ) the BSX complete score release and though it includes many cues I'm more than happy to have on disc, it is the fact the 2 CD release includes Michael Kamen's exceptionally dull contributions after the film was chopped and fiddled with, hence it doesn't fit my criteria as an album I can listen to from beginning to end.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. ^ Hilarious film that. smile In the 80s all composers sought out their chance to do a big bold symphonic science fiction score. This one is Mancini's.

No. 34

The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (2002) by Howard Shore

For reasons stated earlier in this thread.

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2014
    Captain, I hastily edited my post as you must have been writing. It's now # 34
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    ^ Hilarious film that. smile In the 80s all composers sought out their chance to do a big bold symphonic science fiction score. This one is Mancini's.

The film has always been a bit of a "guilty" favourite of mine.

Also...

it had a naked alien vampire woman in it lick cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't think I've ever seen LIFEFORCE, but I have a long suite on a fan-made 2CD compilation (along some other of his 'serious' works). Very good score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My pick:

34. FAR & AWAY (John Williams)

90s Williams is my favourite Williams, so there's bound to be a lot from that period. But don't worry -- this is, in fact, the last Williams on my list. I first discovered FAR & AWAY on the compilation album FILM WORKS from 1995, then bought it through mailorder a few years after that. I fell in love with it from the start -- lush, Celtic flavours (and some more folksy stuff), a little bit of Enya, some darker tracks and then classic adventure tracks like "The Land Race". All of it carefully arranged for listening. What's not to like?

Of course, I saw the film a few years after that again, which was a mixed experience, to put it mildly. Tom Cruise's "Irish" must be the worst accent ever.

But the album lives on and is often played around these parts.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    a more "fiddle-di-dee" style Irish score. I like it a lot.

Sean Connery easily beats Tom Cruise for worst "Oirish" accent with his Oscar winning ( someone MUST have been kidding fer fecks sake! ) performance in THE UNTOUCHABLES.
  2. Tom Cruise does not have an accent. He has a speaking disorder. I never understand a word of his mumbling.

O, fiddle-dee-dee! (to quote Scarlett O'Hara), Farn & Away was a big favourite of mine back then and I listened to it so often that I could not stand it anymore at one point. But I did listen to it about halve a year ago and I still love it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think it is written in stone that the worst accent ever is Dick Van Dyke's "cockerny" accent in MARY POPPINS. biggrin
  3. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    ^ Hilarious film that. smile In the 80s all composers sought out their chance to do a big bold symphonic science fiction score. This one is Mancini's.

The film has always been a bit of a "guilty" favourite of mine.

Also...

it had a naked alien vampire woman in it lick cool

Yes, Mathilda May's costume design was inspired. She really looks like a goddess. There is something very dignified about these sequences, it's not just for the effect of it.

I have the restored cut of the film on DVD, with all of Mancini's material in place and no Kamen at all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Really! How long does that cut run?
  4. 111 minutes. (IMDB sais 116 but that I think is the pal/secam thing.) It's the UK DVD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifeforce_ … ut_version
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks! I want!!!

By the way, I once read Colin Wilson's book THE SPACE VAMPIRES, the film barely resembles anything from the book other than some character names.
  5. Because of Mancini's music or because of more of Mathilda in the ...

O, never mind! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014
    My list so far from 1 - 34

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    THE THING - Morricone
    WALKING WITH DINOSAURS / WALKING WITH BEASTS - Bartlett
    STAR WARS - Williams
    CHINATOWN - Goldsmith
    HEAVY METAL - Bernstein
    BULLIT - Schifrin
    BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Kilar
    STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - Horner
    ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Nascimbene
    'BOOM!' - Barry
    STARSHIP TROOPERS - Poledouris
    RED PLANET - Revell
    QUEST FOR FIRE - Sarde
    FLASH GORDON - Queen / Blake
    THE ROBE - A. Newman
    THE BOURNE SUPREMACY - Powell
    READY WHEN YOU ARE J.B. - Barry
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - Barry
    ROCKY - Conti
    TRUE CONFESSIONS - Delerue
    LIFEFORCE - Mancini
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I don't think I've ever seen LIFEFORCE, but I have a long suite on a fan-made 2CD compilation (along some other of his 'serious' works). Very good score.

I have that very well produced and excellently put together set too done by a very generous FSM member.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    My pick:

34. FAR & AWAY (John Williams)

90s Williams is my favourite Williams, so there's bound to be a lot from that period. But don't worry -- this is, in fact, the last Williams on my list. I first discovered FAR & AWAY on the compilation album FILM WORKS from 1995, then bought it through mailorder a few years after that. I fell in love with it from the start -- lush, Celtic flavours (and some more folksy stuff), a little bit of Enya, some darker tracks and then classic adventure tracks like "The Land Race". All of it carefully arranged for listening. What's not to like?

Of course, I saw the film a few years after that again, which was a mixed experience, to put it mildly. Tom Cruise's "Irish" must be the worst accent ever.

But the album lives on and is often played around these parts.

I too enjoyed the score Thor
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can't argue with either of your choices Tim and Volker.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote

No. 34

The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (2002) by Howard Shore

For reasons stated earlier in this thread.

V.

I'm wondering if I can predict your # 35? wink

I do think Two Towers and Return of The King are the strongest scores of the trilogy. I love all of them actually.
  6. All three scores have their individual identy. The way the films were made though makes them more of one score in three parts. In contrast to John Williams back in 1977 Shore had the complete overview from the beginning. I would not know how to rate them, so I can as well stick to the chronological order.

Wait ... did I give anything away now? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2014
    I wish I could include more soundtracks from Japanese-language cinema (the 'classic' era, I mean), but my #34 is the sole Japanese entry in my Top 50.

There are numerous favorites, but these scores typically don't have corresponding soundtrack albums or else exist in compilations and/or culled from the actual film tracks which aren't satisfying albums.

[I would have ranked Toru Takemitsu's 1962 SEPPUKU (HARAKIRI) between #s 31 and 32 if not for this situation.]

#34: YOJIMBO (1961) by Masaru Sato(h), on MGM LP (1962) and Toho CD (2002).

http://www.godzillamonstermusic.com/ak0006.htm

The Toho CD has the complete score in mono, but is part of a large CD-set of 3 volumes devoted to the music from Akira Kurosawa films.

The MGM LP gets my vote for this thread for several reasons. The LP program combines many of Sato's short cues (a lot of them run between 30 and 58 seconds!) into track lengths more typical for listening (say between 2 and 3 minutes).
    The most amazing thing about the LP of YOJIMBO, though, is that fact that it ever existed!
    A non-English language film gets a soundtrack ablum in the USA in 1962 - very unusual.
    While there were some French films during the 1950s which got released onto American LPs and a few 1960 Nino Rota titles as well, MGM's YOJIMBO was the first-ever soundtrack (that I'm aware of) from a Japanese picture.

As for the music, Masaru Sato(h) [I've seen his name spelled both ways] went intentionally anachronistic.
    He scored a mid-1800s samurai movie with a big brass band (a la Henry Mancini) with only the extended percussion section indicating the ethnic aspects. A lone harpsichord is the only thing to make reference to the period setting.

YOJIMBO is the essence of cool, with a bent towards the eccentric.
  7. Yojimbo is an excellent choice - though I only have the complete Toho CD version.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    one that I've not listened to
  8. sdtom wrote
    one that I've not listened to

Here's the complete score for Yojimbo. The first 3 minutes are the titles track.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Also known as A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS wink

Great choice Cobweb.
  9. Also known as Red Harvest. wink
  10. I have a score from a Japanese animation film included in the remainder or my chart.