• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

... those nasty 1980's Tina Turner power ballads.

uhm

Very nasty!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But I think they're simply the best!
    Better than all the rest, in fact.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    But I think they're simply the best!
    Better than all the rest, in fact.

Here you go...

:coat:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    A shame that Cobweb's Antoine Duhamel choice isn't available on Spotify. I would have given a listen.

As for Thor's choice Crimson Tide, I only like little bits of it. IMO Power anthems are horrible, listening to 'Roll Tide' I have to check my gagging reflex, the film music equivalent of those nasty 1980's Tina Turner power ballads.

Ha, ha....pretty amazing how the exact same piece of music can have so completely opposite effects on our brains.

Indeed it is. It can seem baffling when you love a piece so much to the point "you" ( we ) don't get it when someone has the opposite opinion.

I love Crimson Tide, but to be honest, it's a score best assessed in its film. It's one of these scores (and yes, no matter the composer actually) where I could write a full essay about why it's so effective in its context.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is it a good film? ( I honestly can't remember if I've seen it? )
  2. One thing I admire about you, Pawel, is that there are few things, if any, that you could not write a full essay about.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I want Pawel to write a 58,000,567 word essay on Paris Hilton's foray into the world of pop.
  3. Timmer wrote

I really, really like it (though I have to admit that I saw it for the composer, in my second year of my score listening!). There are logic leaps, but it's not a military action film, as it was regarded in the day.

It's actually a bit of a psychological thriller with a good atmosphere and very good visually (even if a bit tame for Tony Scott; he got the most he could from a submarine!). Tarantino did some script ghostwriting on it, if you dig such culturally-charged dialogue, but the saving grace is probably the acting duel between Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman (in his best performance since The Unforgiven!). Both are at the top of their game and actually they are both allowed to shine, both in all-out rage and very understated scenes.

The big stand-off in the middle between Hackman and Washington is just joy to watch. For a director who mostly made pretty mindless action stuff often involving cars toppling over for random reasons (yes, it's you I'm talking to, Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 and Unstoppable!), it's surprisingly low-key, tense and character-heavy.

I'd say that alongside Man on Fire, Spy Game and True Romance it's Tony Scott's best film.
  4. Captain Future wrote
    One thing I admire about you, Pawel, is that there are few things, if any, that you could not write a full essay about.

smile Volker

I would do that more often, if I had the audience. Some people actually used to ridicule that a bit on the forum.
  5. Yeah, there was a bit of ridicule, but mild and good natured, I think. Nothing that should stop you from sharing any thought you want.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

I really, really like it (though I have to admit that I saw it for the composer, in my second year of my score listening!). There are logic leaps, but it's not a military action film, as it was regarded in the day.

It's actually a bit of a psychological thriller with a good atmosphere and very good visually (even if a bit tame for Tony Scott; he got the most he could from a submarine!). Tarantino did some script ghostwriting on it, if you dig such culturally-charged dialogue, but the saving grace is probably the acting duel between Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman (in his best performance since The Unforgiven!). Both are at the top of their game and actually they are both allowed to shine, both in all-out rage and very understated scenes.

The big stand-off in the middle between Hackman and Washington is just joy to watch. For a director who mostly made pretty mindless action stuff often involving cars toppling over for random reasons (yes, it's you I'm talking to, Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 and Unstoppable!), it's surprisingly low-key, tense and character-heavy.

I'd say that alongside Man on Fire, Spy Game and True Romance it's Tony Scott's best film.

Thanks Pawel.

I do remember that there was some Tarantino scripting, in fact it may have been used as a TRUE/FALSE question if I remember? I'm not exactly Tony Scott's biggest fan but your description intrigues me and I'll check this one out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Some people actually used to ridicule that a bit on the forum.

I'm one of them but I would call it gentle mickey-taking rather than ridicule.
  6. I never felt you were harsh. Some people were.
  7. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

Thanks Pawel.

I do remember that there was some Tarantino scripting, in fact it may have been used as a TRUE/FALSE question if I remember? I'm not exactly Tony Scott's biggest fan but your description intrigues me and I'll check this one out.

I'd recommend you his more intelligent material. Spy Game belongs to my all-time favorite espionage thrillers, being much more intelligent than people give it credit for, True Romance of course is a Quentin Tarantino script (with the only change being putting the events back in their sequence) with some brilliant supporting performances (when Gary Oldman heard that his character is "a white guy thinking he's black,. And a pimp", he signed up immediately; the to-and-fro between Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper is just brilliant). Man on Fire is an acquired taste, but if there can be arthouse genre cinema, this revenge thriller is quite radical and one of my all-time favorites (I prefer it to the Scott Glenn film, though they're simply different). Unstoppable was a total surprise in how much tension he could get from such a very simple premise.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Pulp Fiction is my favourite of his films and the only one of his films that I own.
  8. I'm a bit of a fanboy. I own

Reservoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction
    Jacky Brown (my favourite)
    Kill Bill 1+2
    Inglourious Basterds (least favourite)
    Django Unchained
  9. You *are* aware that I am still talking about Tony Scott? biggrin
  10. No, I thought Timmer was referring to Quentin Tarantino. Oh, well, now you all know what Tarantino films I have in my DVD collection. What the heck! smile
  11. I've got both Kill Bills, Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds in my collection.

I've seen Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown outisde of that, but I've still not seen Kill Bill 2.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    I'm a bit of a fanboy. I own

Reservoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction
    Jacky Brown (my favourite)
    Kill Bill 1+2
    Inglourious Basterds (least favourite)
    Django Unchained

Pawel is right. I was talking Tony Scott films I own. wink

I have those Tarantino films too. beer
  12. My Tony Scott films:

True Romance
    Crimson Tide
    Spy Game
    Man on Fire
    Enemy of the State

in the case of Spy Game and Man on Fire I have commentary tracks, quite brilliant man to listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2014
    It seems a bit old fashioned to say "I own such and such films" as though it were an achievement in an age of instantly available downloads. uhm
  13. I own the DVDs. You own some files.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It seems a bit old fashioned to say "I own such and such films" as though it were an achievement in an age of instantly available downloads. uhm

Go download yer arse tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I own the DVDs. You own some files.

Does this detract from the enjoyment of the film? Yours just happen to be stored on a round shiny disc as opposed to a hard drive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Go download yer arse tongue

As soon as they crack that technology, you can rest assured I'll be the first to. You can have the honour of being number 2, of course.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2014 edited
    How you have the nerve to show your faeces around here I don't know?
  14. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Does this detract from the enjoyment of the film? Yours just happen to be stored on a round shiny disc as opposed to a hard drive.

In my case a lot of my film purchases aren't just about the film itself, but about the extras. I love all the making-of, commentaries, everything like that I can get. When I love the movie, I don't want to just watch it for my pleasure, but also know how it was made smile .
  15. PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

In my case a lot of my film purchases aren't just about the film itself, but about the extras. I love all the making-of, commentaries, everything like that I can get. When I love the movie, I don't want to just watch it for my pleasure, but also know how it was made smile .

I used to think that way but I've come to agree with Steven Spielberg: The Making-offs can take away a bit of the magic. Enjoying a (sfx action) film for me is primarilly about getting immersed not about analysis. I consciously refuse the meta level.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Since film analysis has been my profession for all these years (whether as a student, teacher or journalist), I've found that I'm able to switch between the two on will -- either just get engrossed in the film or analyze it on a meta-level. I wouldn't be without either ability.
    I am extremely serious.