• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    There's plenty of the "religious" sound in THE ROBE Thor.

I just looked and I see it is on Spotify.

Actually A. Newman introduced that "religious sound" to Hollywood. Rozsa would then build on it. I believe Rozsa acknowledged the importance of of Newman's work but I just can't find any source to proof that.

That makes "The Robe" to one of those scores, that shaped the sound of an entire genre.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2014
    Thor wrote
    I've always found the sound a bit muffled myself.

dizzy ZOINKS! dizzy
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Not the best restoration ever done by a long shot. smile
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2014 edited
    My list so far from 1 - 28

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    THE THING - Morricone
    WALKING WITH DINOSAURS / WALKING WITH BEASTS - Bartlett
    STAR WARS - Williams
    CHINATOWN - Goldsmith
    HEAVY METAL - Bernstein
    BULLIT - Schifrin
    BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Kilar
    STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - Horner
    ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Nascimbene
    'BOOM!' - Barry
    STARSHIP TROOPERS - Poledouris
    RED PLANET - Revell
    QUEST FOR FIRE - Sarde
    FLASH GORDON - Queen / Blake
    THE ROBE - A. Newman
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I agree with five of them Tim
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2014 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I agree with five of them Tim
    Tom smile

Let us see how well I know your taste Tom...

Scott of The Antarctic
    The Robe
    The Big Country
    Star Wars
    Chinatown

...am I close? cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2014
    You got two of them Tim. Good job.

1. Scott of the Antarctic
    2. The Big Country
    3. Bullitt
    4. Bram Stoker's Dracula
    5. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Scott is way ahead of the other 4. 2 & 3 are close.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Damn! Knowing your love of jazz I should have gone for Bullit.

I think Vaughan Williams score for 'Scott' is criminally underrated, its in a bit of a limbo, as a symphony it seems to be looked down upon by classical purists simply because it is derived from a film score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Couldn't agree with you more on the Scott opinion. Classical fans don't consider it to be a symphony because it has this tie in to the movie. Younger people don't care for it. There are a few of us who consider it a masterpiece which it is. I consider it a must have in any soundtrack collection. Williams achieved something that Stravinsky was unable to do with the exception of Disney stealing his Rite of Spring. I guess I shouldn't say steal because he did give him a paltry 6,000. He tried to write for Song of Bernadette and also Jane Eyre but was rejected on both accounts.

Bullitt was a Mancini style score with the magical Schifrin touch to it. We played a bit of this one in college and had fun doing it.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Not having seen the film ( Adapted from a Tennessee Williams play directed by Joseph Losey and starring Richard Burton, Elizabeth Taylor and Noel Coward. I've heard the film is dreadful ) I've no idea if there is more score not present on the CD?

The score has some very interesting and at times ambiguous track titles like...

Through Caverns Measureless To Man
    You've Got More Things Going For You Than Teeth Baby
    Of A Year Unknown
    Which Way To The Sun
    The Shock of Each Moment of Being Alive

The album ends with a song, obviously retained from the rejected score, called Hideaway written by Johnny Dankworth and Don Black and sung by Georgie Fame. Very pleasant it is too.

The track titles are taken from dialogue in BOOM written by Tennessee Williams.

Tracks 10 (Which Way Is The Sun?) and 11 (A Mobile Called "Boom") are two selections which I don't recall being in the film.
    Also, Track 7 "Mister Death Angel Flanders" is a 3rd rendition of the first piece of music heard (track 1) and I don't recall where this one is in the film either.

As for music in BOOM that's not on the album - it is source music performed on 2 Sitars & not written by John Barry (2 Indian names are credited during the end credits).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2014
    Cheers! beer
  2. My chart so far:

1. Star Wars - Return of the Jedi
    2. Chariots of Fire
    3. The Mission
    4. Star Trek The Motion Picture
    5. The Black Hole
    6. The Never Ending Story
    7. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    8. Die Besucher
    9. 2010
    10. Gone With the Wind
    11. The Empire Strikes Back
    12. Star Wars
    13. Das Boot
    14. Dune
    15. Out of this World (Compilation)
    16. Hollywood’s Greatest Hits (Compilation)
    17. Titanic
    18. Pat Garret & Billy the Kid
    19. Battlestar Galactica
    20. 1492 - Conquest of Paradise
    21. Batman
    22. Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country
    23. Ben-Hur
    24. To Kill a Mockinbird
    25. Captain Future
    26. Robin of Sherwood
    27. The Adventures of Robin Hood
    28. Dead Poet’s Society
    29. The ...

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2014
    Why have you got 29? I've not posted 29 yet.

Grrrrrrrr! rolleyes wink
  3. Oops! Some error occurred, I am not sure what went wrong, but the edited list should be correct now.

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like it biggrin

# 29 coming later today
  4. We don't talk about link here, do we?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You've already broken the first rule of link.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Not having seen the film ( Adapted from a Tennessee Williams play directed by Joseph Losey and starring Richard Burton, Elizabeth Taylor and Noel Coward. I've heard the film is dreadful ) I've no idea if there is more score not present on the CD?

The score has some very interesting and at times ambiguous track titles like...

Through Caverns Measureless To Man
    You've Got More Things Going For You Than Teeth Baby
    Of A Year Unknown
    Which Way To The Sun
    The Shock of Each Moment of Being Alive

The album ends with a song, obviously retained from the rejected score, called Hideaway written by Johnny Dankworth and Don Black and sung by Georgie Fame. Very pleasant it is too.

The track titles are taken from dialogue in BOOM written by Tennessee Williams.

Tracks 10 (Which Way Is The Sun?) and 11 (A Mobile Called "Boom") are two selections which I don't recall being in the film.
    Also, Track 7 "Mister Death Angel Flanders" is a 3rd rendition of the first piece of music heard (track 1) and I don't recall where this one is in the film either.

As for music in BOOM that's not on the album - it is source music performed on 2 Sitars & not written by John Barry (2 Indian names are credited during the end credits).

You should see the film.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Some JB? No not that one...

# 29 THE BOURNE SUPREMACY - JOHN POWELL

This was the first John Powell score that really made me sit up and take notice, sure I enjoyed earlier works, Chicken Run co-composed with whatshisname being a particular stand-out but even The Bourne Identity didn't set me up for this barnstormer of a score with its seamless blend of electronics and orchestra and catchy riffs, one of those albums that deserve setting the stereo to 11 for a proper 'lets wake the neighbours'. At just over 48 minutes this album doesn't waste a second and the addition of Moby as the last track is no bad thing in my book.
  5. I was never that big a fan of the "Bourne" franchise despite it's links to Germany plot-wise, cast-wise and production-wise.

No 29:
    The Prince and the Pauper (Compilation)
    Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Symphony Orchestra
    Originally produced by George Korngold for Reader’s Digest, in 1989 released on Varese Sarabande.

This is a really fantastic compilation and a great supplementation of the “Classic-Film-Score” series. It’s among my oldest film music possessions. I got the CD when I was still in high school (as a student that is) 22 years ago. Most of these recordings were originally released by Reader’s Digest on a mail order LP. There are some rarities on this album that you will likely not find on your average best-of-Hollywood compilation. My personal gem here is Anne of the 1000 Days by George Delerue, the only recording of this gorgeous piece that - to my knowledge - has ever been made available on CD. Also the cues by George Antheil, Michael J. Lewis and Leonard Pennario are rather rare it seems.
    Note that the suite from Henry V is not the concert suite compiled by Walton himself but a suite orchestrated by Charles Gerhardt. It is closer to the film version of the music.

1. The Reivers - Suite (05:01)
    composed by John Williams
    2. Lost Weekend - Love Theme (05:10)
    composed by Miklos Rozsa
    3. Jane Eyre - Carriage Ride to Thornfield (01:50)
    composed by John Williams
    4. Between Two Worlds - Mother and Son / Piano Rhapsody (05:50)
    composed by Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    5. The Constant Nymph - Overture (08:12)
    composed by Miklos Rozsa
    6. The Specter Of The Rose - Ballet Waltz (04:10)
    composed by George Antheil
    7. The Madwoman Of Chaillot - End Title (04:22)
    composed by Michael J. Lewis
    8. Cleopatra - Love Theme (02:24)
    composed by Alex North
    9. Julie - Midnight On The Cliffs (05:16)
    composed by Leonard Pennario
    10. Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf ? - Main Title (02:35)
    composed by Alex North
    11. The Prince And The Pauper - Flatulation (02:14)
    12. Escape Me Never - Love For Love (03:18)
    13. Anne Of The 1000 Days - Overture (02:55)
    composed by Georges Delerue
    14. Henry V - Suite (13:21)
    composed by Sir William Walton

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't care much for the Bourne films either but the music is bloody brilliant.

Anyway, nice 29th choice you have there Captain beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I much prefer the Tribute Film Classics 1006, the one that John Morgan reconstructed if you're looking for the Prince and the Pauper music. I have the Varese release as well as the 6CD set of Delerue which is an original I believe. Nice selection. Maybe there is still a bit of hope for Golden Scores.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Not a fan of the score that you picked Tim.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Not a fan of the score that you picked Tim.
    Tom smile

I can't please everyone. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This is your list my friend so anything goes.
    Tom cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know for a FACT that some of my up-coming choices are totally your cup-of-tea Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's everyone's list, Tom. It's just that Timmer is the 'moderator', so to speak.

The BOURNE scores are terribly influential, and I often use them as an example when I teach trends in contemporary film music, but for some reason I never got around to buying the soundtrack albums. I think it's very much up my alley, though, so at some point...

That compilation sounds great, Volker, like most of Gerhardt's stuff. I have PRINCE AND THE PAUPER on a different CD (coupled with Steiner's THE ADVENTURES OF MARK TWAIN), plus some of the other ones on that disc.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2014 edited
    Georges Delerue's Anne of The Thousand Days is a lovely score, I have a boot of it paired with John Barry's Mary, Queen of Scots ( what a complimentary double-header ), I now have 'Mary' after Intrada released it and I'd happily bin the boot if, say, Universal France released Delerue's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My pick:

29. E.T. - THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL (John Williams)

This is the original MCA album, obviously. I also have the expanded version that came with the DVD gift box set some 10-12 years ago (but I never play it) and at one point I also had the one that came in between (in 96), but traded it off as it betrayed the musical value of the piece, IMO.

Anyways, my story with this has gone up and down. I saw the film as a kid and loved it, but paid little attention to the music. Then I rediscovered it in my teens, as I became a fan of film music and John Williams, but didn't care for it much. I remember calling it too "Richard Clayderman" at the time. Then I started to like it more, and found my previous assessment ludicrous. In fact, the score became one of my analysis chapters of my master thesis. Then I felt I had over-played and over-analyzed it, so I tired of it a bit. Then in recent years, I've played it every now and then again, and enjoy it very much. I will never ever play anything other than the MCA album, though. I've learned from my mistakes.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2014 edited
    Too 'Richard Clayderman?' shocked biggrin

I'm with you on the MCA album. IMO it's one of the greatest film score albums ever! No need for me to say more as I chose this masterpiece weeks ago.

my # 5