• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2014
    Great stuff! Love Miller's voice.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014 edited
    GORDON'S ALIVE....

# 27 FLASH GORDON - QUEEN & HOWARD BLAKE

I loved this from the moment I first heard it and that was on LP before I'd seen the film. A brilliant mix of rock/synth and symphony orchestra, it is big, bold, brash and just a terrific lot of fun just like the OTT film itself, it has the rare distinction with me where I enjoy the actual dialogue from the film scattered throughout the album, this just never outstays its welcome and is a joy from beginning to end.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014
    Please note that # 28 will be up late next week as I don't get back until late next Tuesday. smile
  1. Great choice, Timmer! There has been a release of Blake's symphonic score, a promo or boot or whatever. Did you ever listen to it? I never did myself.

No 27:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) by Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Basil Rathbone and Claude Rains! Such great acting, photography, production design and such a magnificent score! The film is 76 year old and yet my then 10 years old niece was spellbound when I watched the film with her two years ago.

The score is a groundbraking work by Austrian-American composer Erich Wolfgang Korngold. I love the recording William Stromberg did wth the Moscow Symphonics for the Marco Polo label. I own the CD-R as well as the DVD-Audio. Still in my hearts of hearts, for reasons of nostalgia I prefer the recording George Korngold and Varujan Koijan did with the Utah Symphonics for Varese Sarabande. It's a beautiful sounding well rounded presentation of the score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think I had the FLASH GORDON score album awhile back, but didn't care for it much. The Queen material is more up my alley, although it's been ages since I've listened to the song material or seen the film, for that matter. ROBIN HOOD I've actually never seen, but I dig the score. I have the Kojian recording and am pleased with that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My pick:

27. SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS (James Newton Howard)

I know I'm not alone in my love for this. Everyone speaks about the Arvo Pärt influence, and certainly core tracks like "Evacuation" has some of that (incredibly beautiful), but it's more about the JNH music painting a chilly winter landscape through discrete use of choir, aching strings and haunting flutes. I've never seen the film, but this is a brilliant concept album in its own right. I got the CD some 5-6 years after the film was released, but it quickly became a JNH favourite and -- in fact -- alltime favourite (wouldn't be on this list otherwise).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This is wonderful, despite the Arvo Part references.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Thor wrote
    My pick:

27. SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS (James Newton Howard)

I know I'm not alone in my love for this. Everyone speaks about the Arvo Pärt influence, and certainly core tracks like "Evacuation" has some of that (incredibly beautiful), but it's more about the JNH music painting a chilly winter landscape through discrete use of choir, aching strings and haunting flutes. I've never seen the film, but this is a brilliant concept album in its own right. I got the CD some 5-6 years after the film was released, but it quickly became a JNH favourite and -- in fact -- alltime favourite (wouldn't be on this list otherwise).

The film is not as bad as it was reviewed, though it has to be said that Ethan Hawke has some moments bordering on the cringe-worthy. Max von Sydow though and Youki Kudoh do steal the show. Can I Hold You Now in context is a chilling moment of pure film scoring magic to me and on album a showcase of what restrained scoring can do. It's as good as it can be, really.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    Please note that # 28 will be up late next week as I don't get back until late next Tuesday. smile

This implies that July 1st will elapse before #28 is posted. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    QUEEN & HOWARD BLAKE

Queen?

Does this mean that you don't like Howard Blake's promo disc which pairs AMITYVILLE 3-D along with FLASH GORDON?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2014 edited
    Curious that Timmer should select the Queen version of FLASH GORDON as his #27 ... because my #27 title is by the REAL Brian May (not that guitarist bloke Brian May). smile

#27: THIRST (1979) by Brian May, on the Australian One-M-One CD (1989).

Brian May (along with Jerry Goldsmith) was one of my earliest favorite composers during my formative years as a beginning soundtrack collector.
    After noticing May's music in the MAD MAX movies, I sought out any LP I could locate with May's music.
    A number of May's genre scores between 1978 and 1982 received a corresponding U.S. release on either Citadel or Varese Sarabande records. Some of May's film scores did not get distributed in America, however.
    I ordered from mail order services to get my French LP of May's HARLEQUIN (my 2nd favorite May soundtrack). THIRST, though, did not appear on disc until 10 years later. It felt like an eternity to me waiting for THIRST to arrive on disc and when it came onto CD (there was never an LP to my knowledge) it became an instant favorite album which continues to remain within my Top 50.

THIRST possesses all the Brian May trademarks - short cues, lots of musical stings, unique phrasings for brass and strings - but there's also a chorus (rather uncommon in May's film scores).

Despite this chorus, THIRST is not any sort of clone of THE OMEN. THIRST sounds rather like what Gerald Fried might have done with THE OMEN if Goldsmith had not scored that.

Additional comparisons could be some of the British Hammer film scores from 10 to 15 years prior to this 1979 Australian effort.

THIRST is the only entry in my Top 50 by Brian May (and it is also the only Australian opus in my Top 50 as well).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2014
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote
    QUEEN & HOWARD BLAKE

Queen?

Does this mean that you don't like Howard Blake's promo disc which pairs AMITYVILLE 3-D along with FLASH GORDON?

I have Blake's promo disc and enjoy it but I prefer the Queen dominated album so there! tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

This implies that July 1st will elapse before #28 is posted. tongue

I'll put it up tomorrow. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    I have Blake's promo disc and enjoy it but I prefer the Queen dominated album so there! tongue

OK, to each Timmer's own.

I did not know if you heard/own that Howard Blake promo, but now you've explained your preference for one over the other. Myself, I like to be detailed in referencing any multiple versions that may exist on a soundtrack title.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    By the way, Timmer, do you have Silva Screen's 2-CD issue of Howard Blake's cues for the 1968/'69 season of THE AVENGERS?.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014
    No I don't but I should have. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    ROBIN HOOD I've actually never seen.

Of all the film productions of Robin Hood this one is by far and away my favourite, a brilliant escapist romp bolstered by the charisma of Errol Flynn and a brilliant score, a pure joy of a film.

You should watch it Thor.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Let me have some of that old time religion...

# 28 ALFRED NEWMAN - THE ROBE

"Al's score is the greatest score I have ever heard for any motion picture"

Not my words but the words of producer Darryl F Zanuck, though arguable even in those earlier days of film scoring there is no doubt this is one of the great scores of any era. I have had various incarnations of this work including the old mono LP which was a rerecording done weeks after the films release and the excellent Charles Gerhardt suite on his classic film composers series. I had to wait for La La Land before I was able to grab the 2 CD score of the original soundtrack ( I missed the Varese ) and there isn't a single moment that I don't enjoy here, an incredibly powerful work full of choral glory and a religioso theme that gets repeated throughout that I never tire of, Ken Darby's choral arrangements are sublime.

Stunning music, truly stunning!
  3. ^ That one (The Robe) is right up my alley! Great, great score!

There are films with next to no music in them. Sometimes that make what little music there is all the more effective. The final hymn in this film accompanies one of the most powerful scenes I have ever seen and listened to. The score is very probably the shortest one to feature in my list.

He was their inspiration. He made their lives extraordinary.

No 28:
    Dead Poets Society (1989) by Maurice Jarre

About a year ago I stood in front of one of my literature classes and my enthusiasm about Friedrich Schiller would get me carried away. Thus I raved about the meaning and the importance of of Schiller's work and how it affects us still two centuries later and ... and ...
    And one of my students would grinn at me cheekily and she would proceed to proclaim melodramatically: "O Captain, my Captain!"
    This film really has become part of our culture. Peter Weir has created a classical drama. The film is indeed structured like a classic drama. Many scenes feel like stage scenes and Jarre's music gives the impression of stage music.

I love all of the score, not only "Keating's Triumph". The four cues amount to about ten minutes, but there is magic in every single one.

The final cue is a hymnus of humanity. Rightfully it should be the anthem of the United Nations. As all of the film it speaks for all mankind. I love the fact, that Beethoven's "9th" is referenced in the film. Jarre joins Beethoven in appealing to our better angels. I salute Peter Weir, Tom Schulman and Maurice Jarre.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2014 edited
    "Give me to drink Mandragora"

#28: ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA (1972) by John Scott, on JOS CD.

I remember receiving the U.K. Polydor gatefold LP album of Scott's ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA via mail order in 1987.
    It's been my favorite John Scott soundtrack ever since.

Scott's own label had issued this title twice on CD, and the most recent incarnation has the most amount of music.

All aspects of this recording are treasured by me (and quite a number of others, too) - the performances of the musicians - the engineering of the recording - and, of course, the music itself are top shelf quality.
    ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA was the first of two John Scott discs to win a citation from the British Gramophone publication (for "best" film score of the year). [the other soundtrack was THE NORTH STAR which came out during the mid-'90s].

Scott's themes do not sound old-fashioned yet communicate antiquity and timelesness splendidly via traditional Western classical music vocabulary.
    Out of a surfeit of impressive cues, perhaps my favorite is "The Barge She Sat In" which is evocative of the music of Maurice Ravel in its orchestral colors and fantastic choral writing.

ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA is one of those soundtracks which could appeal to and satisfy just about every faction of our highly divided niche of film music appreciation.
  4. Ah, what themes those films (ROBE, ANTONY and CLEO) have. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2014
    I'm too drunk to comment on any of the choices nor my own.

Be back tomorrow.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I'm too drunk to comment on any of the choices nor my own.

No speeling mysrtakes ur ramboling noonsence? Donut believe yu tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like Dead Poets Society, film and score. ( Jarre will appear on my list but Poets is far from my favourites of the composer )

Good choice from Cobweb. John Scott is criminally underrated by producers and directors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2014
    THE ROBE -- been on my list for a long time, since I suspect the appearance of the religious sound. At least if THE SONG OF BERNADETTE or THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD are anything to go by.

DEAD POET'S SOCIETY -- seen the film a few times and liked the music within, but never owned the album

ANTONY & CLEO -- I think I have a suite of this on a John Scott comp that Thomas sent me. I like it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My pick:

28. ROBIN HOOD - PRINCE OF THIEVES (Michael Kamen)

This is one of those early albums I got in the mid 90s (I found it used, I think) that cemented my love of the artform. Brilliant, sparkling adventure music that flows directly from the heart. "Anything I Do..." was overplayed on radio at the time, but like "My Heart Will Go On" it's certainly a corking composition regardless, especially in its instrumental permutations in the score itself. "Wild Times" by Jeff Lynne is superior, though. The only problem with the album is the quick fade-outs in certain tracks and the mediocre sound quality. This one is due for a remastering, although the selection and programming of tracks is pretty much perfect the way it is. This is one of those scores that make you miss the fantastic talents of Mr. Kamen, RIP.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's plenty of the "religious" sound in THE ROBE Thor.

I just looked and I see it is on Spotify.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks! I have so much to listen to right now, but it's certainly on top of my Spotify list the next time I log on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    My pick:

28. ROBIN HOOD - PRINCE OF THIEVES (Michael Kamen)

This is one of those early albums I got in the mid 90s (I found it used, I think) that cemented my love of the artform. Brilliant, sparkling adventure music that flows directly from the heart. "Anything I Do..." was overplayed on radio at the time, but like "My Heart Will Go On" it's certainly a corking composition regardless, especially in its instrumental permutations in the score itself. "Wild Times" by Jeff Lynne is superior, though. The only problem with the album is the quick fade-outs in certain tracks and the mediocre sound quality. This one is due for a remastering, although the selection and programming of tracks is pretty much perfect the way it is. This is one of those scores that make you miss the fantastic talents of Mr. Kamen, RIP.

I agree about the HORRIBLE edits so I don't understand how an album with such shoddy editing can be on a best albums list. confused

However, there is NOTHING wrong with the sound. It's an in your face, aggressive, close miked, incredibly detailed and power recording by the great Stephen McLaughlin. Those warm horns, blasting trombones and piercing trumpets sound BRILLIANT! Great stereo separation as well! Fantastic recording!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've always found the sound a bit muffled myself.

To be fair, if there had been a better remaster of the album, I would have picked that instead. But alas, there isn't. And the sloppy edits aren't enough to keep this great score off the list.
    I am extremely serious.