• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014
    My list so far from 1 - 25

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    THE THING - Morricone
    WALKING WITH DINOSAURS / WALKING WITH BEASTS - Bartlett
    STAR WARS - Williams
    CHINATOWN - Goldsmith
    HEAVY METAL - Bernstein
    BULLIT - Schifrin
    BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Kilar
    STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - Horner
    ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Nascimbene
    'BOOM!' - Barry
    STARSHIP TROOPERS - Poledouris
    RED PLANET - Revell
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014 edited
    Christopher said...

christopher wrote
    Ok, time for me to catch up a bit more. (I'm so behind!)

# 13 - blah blah blah to # 17 blah blah

Some catching up to do Christopher wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I'll put up my 11-20 list soon!
    (God, I'm lagging behind!)

Just a bit. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    The half-way point!

#25 THE RETURN OF THE SOLDIER (1982) by Richard Rodney Bennett, on That's Entertainment Records LP.

My 3rd favorite RRB soundtrack is also my last for the Top 50.

A period drama not unlike FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD except set during & after WW I.
    Bennett weaves some dissonant suspense music into a mostly wistful & melancholic score which creates a very satisfying listen.

The track which ends side 1 is Bennett himself at the piano and singing a song (which did not appear in the movie but showcases the cabaret pianist side of Bennett's multi-faceted musical persona).

Side 2 has one piece of period source music and the penultimate track offers the listener one of the finest musical climaxes that Bennett is great at doing.

I still own the LP and portions of this score were re-recorded on a NMC compliation CD.
    [the music, I think, is also available online in some format or another]
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I'll put up my 11-20 list soon!
    (God, I'm lagging behind!)

Just a bit. biggrin

Yeah...but...see, on a COSMIC scale it's really just a tick of the clock, right? I mean, compared to the rise and fall of the dinosaur. Or, like, the formation of the planets. Y'know?
    Yeah.

Aw cripes.
    shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Cobweb wrote
    The half-way point!

#25 THE RETURN OF THE SOLDIER (1982) by Richard Rodney Bennett, on That's Entertainment Records LP.

My 3rd favorite RRB soundtrack is also my last for the Top 50.

A period drama not unlike FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD except set during & after WW I.
    Bennett weaves some dissonant suspense music into a mostly wistful & melancholic score which creates a very satisfying listen.

The track which ends side 1 is Bennett himself at the piano and singing a song (which did not appear in the movie but showcases the cabaret pianist side of Bennett's multi-faceted musical persona).

Side 2 has one piece of period source music and the penultimate track offers the listener one of the finest musical climaxes that Bennett is great at doing.

I still own the LP and portions of this score were re-recorded on a NMC compliation CD.
    [the music, I think, is also available online in some format or another]

This is quite an interesting one: having read the comments, and knowing the NMC Music compilation quite well, I was interested to see how Bennett's music compared on the re-recording and this chosen version. Luckily, the original album is available on iTunes and, upon listening to the soundtrack, the tone of the OST seems to be quite different to the re-recording. There's something about the feel of this OST version that makes it a much more interesting listen compared with the NMC version.

It's been a while since I've listened to the re-recording. I think I need to go back and take another listen to that.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2014 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah...but...see, on a COSMIC scale it's really just a tick of the clock, right? I mean, compared to the rise and fall of the dinosaur. Or, like, the formation of the planets. Y'know?
    Yeah.

Aw cripes.

Dear oh dear!? You were okay at dinosaur, truly a mere mote in time with their 200 million year existence but then you go and ruin it by mentioning the formation of the planets rolleyes

Lucky we're not biblical types cos you're looking REALLY bad against God's 6 days.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote

Snap! ( no, I don't have it on CD )

My top 3 Bennett scores are Billion Dollar Brain, Far From The Madding Crowd and Gormenghast.
  2. Gormenghast I got last week. It's fantastic!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    oops
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2014 edited
    Cavemen have fire. Fire goes out. Cavemen go on quest for fire.

# 26 QUEST FOR FIRE - PHILIPPE SARDE

As I said in an earlier post, I'll be back to prehistoric times and I'm very sorry to disappoint those who may have thought that ( foolishly so I might add ) I really would choose Alan Silvestri's abysmal Clan of The Cave Bear. tongue

Often referred to by its French title of La Guerre du Feu, this is a great score in or away from the film, one of those scores that's allowed to breathe and work in the film due to so little dialogue and OTT sound effects ( it goes without saying that there are no guns, car chases or explosions in this film ), a composers dream assignment really and Sarde delivers in spades. At turns it is mostly of an atonal nature but there's a beautiful love theme here and some true orchestral/choral tour-de-force writing. In recent decades it has become a firm favourite with me and a score I return to time and time again. I find it hard to imagine now that I hated this score when I first heard it ( on a gate-fold LP ), it was probably too challenging for me back then to young ears more attuned to the melodic works of Barry, Morricone and Williams etc, I don't know/remember when I "found" this score again? I guess I must have done one of my 'lets give it another try before I get rid of it' moments and listened to it with open ears? Thank the Pleistocene gods I did because I love it!

Here's a snippet, one of the most powerful and majestic less-than-two-minutes film score tracks in filmdom.

CREATION OF FIRE
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2014
    LA GUERRE DU FEU!

This is the first time in this thread that a title within my Top 50 is shared by another member within his Top 50.

I position QUEST FOR FIRE between #30 and #40, so it will be a while before I cite it in my selections.

My question to Timmer, though, is which album version? I also have the RCA gatefold LP, but the Universal France digi-pak issue has more music so the French edition is the version on my favorites list.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yep! It's the digi-pak version for me too!

WOW! I chose a score on your list. shocked dizzy cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2014 edited
    Cobweb, another Sarde score that would have made my list is LE TRAIN. Unfortunately the entire universal France album doesn't fit my own criteria set out at the beginning of this here thread.

If I had the ( rare ) LP it probably would have made my list. I was wondering if you have that LP? Is it exactly the same tracks as on the CD?
  3. No 26:

Legend & Macalla

aka

Robin of Sherwood (1984) by Clannad

The favourite album im question here is Legend which mostly isn't even tagged as a soundtrack. For some reason this music never had a propper release as a soundtrack CD. Even more so since there is more original score music stored away in some archive that has never been released in any form.
    I love the tv show which is a major chilhood nostalgia affair for me. The DVD boxes (both with Michael Praed and Jason Connery) are sitting on a shelf right next to me. Legend will provide you mith the major highlights of this wonderful, ethereal score. On Macalla you will find "Caislean Óir" that is also part of the score even though another version featured in the show.

This music lets you dream of Robin, Marian, Herne the Hunter and Albion, one of the Seven Swords of Wayland.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What an excellent choice Mein Capitan! beer

I love this album and it was on a tiny shortlist to make it into my top 50, I think that's high praise indeed!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh yes. CLANNAD are playing at Glastonbury Festival next week, all being well I should get to see them.
  4. CLANNAD and GLASTONBURY should go together exceedingly well!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...in a wooded glade on one of the many hillsides outside of the festival.....YES! wink
  5. The same hero as in no 26 will feature in no 27 ...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2014 edited
    Korngold? Barry? Kamen?

...Hummie Mann? wink

There's a damn load of Robin Hood scores but not so many that feature on soundtrack albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Cobweb, another Sarde score that would have made my list is LE TRAIN. Unfortunately the entire universal France album doesn't fit my own criteria set out at the beginning of this here thread.

If I had the ( rare ) LP it probably would have made my list. I was wondering if you have that LP? Is it exactly the same tracks as on the CD?

Sarde's LE TRAIN is not in my collection, so I'm not able to answer Timmer on this item.

While I do have TESS on French vinyl, Sarde hasn't figured prominently in my music. (Still need to do an internal inventory on my Sarde titles smile )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Picking up the pieces a bit....

25. THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (Thomas Newman)

The film is great, no doubt, but it's not the best film of all time as the IMDB list will have you think. The score, however, is Thomas Newman's magnum opus. Warm americana, plucked instruments and an appropriate amount of both quirkiness and darkness, the REAL highlight of the score is the gobsmackingly beautiful main theme -- a great representative of the religious sound -- that pops up in full force towards the end of the album. The source cues have varying interest to me, but they work fine in the overall listening experience, eclectic as they are. I've had the CD for many years, at least since the mid 90s (a couple of years after the film was released) and played it countless times. When I'm in the mood for some Thomas Newman, it doesn't get better than this.

26. CONAN THE BARBARIAN (Basil Poledouris)

Many of you have this higher up your list, which is no surprise since it's about the only score I can think of that seems to be unanimously loved by EVERYONE! I've seen the film a couple of times (it's a cult classic), but the score lives its own life -- somewhat dark and brooding in its chromatic channeling of Eastern European sensibilities, but mostly full-on lush and romantic in the adventure idiom. OK, so the performance leaves something to be desired, but in some strange way the sound quality and misses add to the grittiness of the musical universe. I've only ever had ONE album, and that is the Milan CD. Never really had any need for another one, although I'm tempted to get the new rerecording because of the sound quality and superior performance. Only trouble is it comes with a bloody C&C presentation. crazy
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    100% agree with you on Newman's score. beer

Conan goes without saying. I think you would be surprised to hear just how many of the extra tracks are listenable and stand-alone in their own right.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

Sarde's LE TRAIN is not in my collection, so I'm not able to answer Timmer on this item

No problem. I vaguely remember someone at FSM mentioning some changes between the LP and CD presentation.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Conan goes without saying. I think you would be surprised to hear just how many of the extra tracks are listenable and stand-alone in their own right.

yeah

Pretty much the only cue in the complete Conan the Barbarian that I don't enjoy is the percussion-only "Wolf Witch". One of the best-flowing complete scores I can think of; although I'm sure Thor would find something to complain about regardless.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like that primitive percussion of Wolf-Witch cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2014 edited
    #26: LO STRANIERO (1967) by Piero Piccioni, on the Japanese Verita Note CD (2008).

Based upon Albert Camus and directed by Luchino Visconti, LO STRANIERO had received an ideally suited music score from Piccioni.

Claustrophobic and alienating, LO STRANIERO is an ultimate aural venture into existentialism. Sounding like no other soundtrack album (that I've heard) either earlier or subsequent to 1967, the music evades comparisons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPEtcRA … detailpage

Regarding the realm of 20th century absolute music, though, I could say that Piccioni's LO STRANIERO is a unique blend of styles between Charles Koechlin's Les Heures Persanes and Morton Feldman's Neither. Since these works are probably not familiar to people who don't listen to such, I might re-phrase and say a mixture between French Impressionism and American Minimalism (though don't think of Debussy and/or Philip Glass when reading those terms).

"The Perisan Hours" (1921) by Koechlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55FQqIW … A1F2F31EEB

"Neither" (1977) by Feldman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oXVfksf9bM

Piccion's music here is very deliberately paced. Concept of foward motion (story plot point A to point B) is restricted to movement within a small area. Like a prison cell. Gentle rhythms and bell-like peals from percussion indicate the rentless passage of time. Lots of organ chords inform the music as a whole. There's subtle 'ethnic' aspects, too, such as the use of Eastern scales/intervals to impart a sense Arabic character without specific establishing (like deploying obvious dance music or cultural source music).
    Wordless female vocalise is added into the mix and saxophones also make appearances (but they are not performed in any jazzy manner and play more as if they were flutes).

LO STRANIERO is, to me, another must-have soundtrack which I listen to more times than I can care to count. Previous incarnations of LO STRANIERO were issued on past CDs (such as the Point CD which paired LO STRANIERO with another Piccioni score for a 1970 war film by director Francesco Rosi), but this expensive import is the most comprehensive edition with many bonus tracks of alternate takes and a reissue of the 45 r.p.m. which was released around the time of the film. The final track has a monologue in Italian by the film's star Marcello Mastroianni.

Highly recommended to Piccioni fans and soundtrack collectors who can afford boutique items and anybody else who's receptive to outre compositions.
  7. Timmer wrote
    I like that primitive percussion of Wolf-Witch cool

It's okay, I guess. I've never much enjoyed percussion-only tracks.
  8. Timmer wrote
    Korngold? Barry? Kamen?

...Hummie Mann? wink

There's a damn load of Robin Hood scores but not so many that feature on soundtrack albums.

Actually one of my favourite pieces of Robin-Hood-related film music is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHNFowhuwrE

I LOVE that film! The original was sung by Roger Miller, the German cover version was sung by popular German folk singer Reinhard Mey.

Wanders off singing "Oo-de-lally-Oo-de-lally, golly what a day ..."

V.