• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2014 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I will around 2040 probably. Trying to give my choices a lot of thought :mrgreen: An I dunno if I can find a 50 of all things.

Just say you agree with my 23 choices and then start with # 24 Pawel wink

Seriously though, if you want to join in then just list to as far as you can get.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2014
    To all procrastinators: Think of it this way -- the 50 you pick will not be carved in stone forever. For me, only the top 5 or so are pretty stable. After that, things are in constant flux. This will be evident when we all (hopefully) list our runner-ups at the end. In a few weeks, some of those -- or something else altogether -- may have entered the Top 50 instead.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    To all procrastinators: Think of it this way -- the 50 you pick will not be carved in stone forever. For me, only the top 5 or so are pretty stable. After that, things are in constant flux. This will be evident when we all (hopefully) list our runner-ups at the end. In a few weeks, some of those -- or something else altogether -- may have entered the Top 50 instead.

Oh yes indeedy! There are some utterly AWESOME works not included in my top 50 of which I'll give some explanations of when we get to 50 albums.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand

Hey, Timmer, if I'm not mistaken, one of the upcoming Quartet new releases will be the original tracks of Legrand's TTCA.
    The album you mention as a favorite has always been the re-recording that Legrand had done for United Artists records.
    Will the original film sessions affect your choice one way or another?
  1. Just wanted to thank everyone for posting here. There's some good titles being listed. I'd particularly like to thank "Cobweb". I've discovered a couple of titles from your list that I have picked up and am enjoying: Piero Piccioni's Il Faro In Capo Al Mondo and La Cripta e L'Incubo (Carlo Savina).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. This post is just to remind myself I'm only up to 3. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    This post is just to remind myself I'm only up to 3. wink

According to Mystic Mug you've got a few years yet wink

Timmer wrote
    And franz_conrad will get to his 50th sometime around 2018-19
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2014 edited
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand

Hey, Timmer, if I'm not mistaken, one of the upcoming Quartet new releases will be the original tracks of Legrand's TTCA.
    The album you mention as a favourite has always been the re-recording that Legrand had done for United Artists records.
    Will the original film sessions affect your choice one way or another?

That's great news! cool

Will it affect my choice? I'll have to wait and see. It's a long time since I saw the film though I do remember the song, The Windmills of Your Mind being a different recording to what was released, I believe the song is used twice in the film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just wanted to thank everyone for posting here. There's some good titles being listed. I'd particularly like to thank "Cobweb". I've discovered a couple of titles from your list that I have picked up and am enjoying: Piero Piccioni's Il Faro In Capo Al Mondo and La Cripta e L'Incubo (Carlo Savina).

You're welcome, FalkirkBairn.

Glad to hear that you are liking them. Italian soundtracks tend to have more difficulty reaching to people because reactions/responses to the contents can diverge significantly more so than film music from Hollywood.

For illustration, given 2 persons who love the music of Alex North, one may also love the music of Piero Piccioni while the other one may strongly dislike Piccioni.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Will it affect my choice? I'll have to wait and see. It's a long time since I saw the film though I do remember the song, The Windmills of Your Mind being a different recording to what was released, I believe the song is used twice in the film?

Yeah - I only saw THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR once myself, so I don't remember that song being played twice.

I expect that if you're familiar with an album re-recording for decades, the original film sessions might sound disappointing (especially if the orchestrations differ a lot).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2014 edited
    BUGS!!!!

# 24 STARSHIP TROOPERS - BASIL POLEDOURIS

Basil was apparently given plenty of time to write this score and it shows in the result. This is a fabulous score full of big, grand themes and pulsing, exciting dramatic action music. I suspect that sooner or later we'll see the complete release of this score and though I would welcome that it would still be the original album presentation I would return to, I have the complete b**t of the score and besides a few highlights the bulk of the best material is right here on the legal album.

What a missed talent Basil is, I could imagine him delivering some fantastic stuff within the realm of popular superhero movies and yet, if he had lived and was healthy I doubt he'd have even been considered.
  3. Poledouris was considered for Troy after Yared's rejection and actually agreed, but the politics of European Union demanding the composer to have an EU passport (part of the finances were European) disallowed this assignment. Horner happens to have a double - US-UK - citizenship.

That said I need to get back to Starship Troopers, I remember not being a huge fan of this one, but I'll have to get back to
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Poledouris was considered for Troy after Yared's rejection and actually agreed, but the politics of European Union demanding the composer to have an EU passport (part of the finances were European) disallowed this assignment. Horner happens to have a double - US-UK - citizenship.

DAMN! That I didn't know. What a shame it didn't happen, even though I enjoy Horner's score slant

PawelStroinski wroteThat said I need to get back to Starship Troopers, I remember not being a huge fan of this one, but I'll have to get back to

You really should, it's a wonderfully detailed score that gives more on each successive listen.
  4. I think what tipped me off was, actually, that it was that *loud*.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2014
    Yup! it is a loud score but there's "good" loud and there's "bad" loud and this is firmly in the "good" loud camp. At least in my never humble opinion. wink
  5. ^ Finally a score I know and love! smile

No. 24: To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) by Elmer Bernstein

I first learned about the novel back in school. I loved the story- the melancholy, the wisdom, the deep humanity. Harper Lee (with a little help by Truman Capote) concieved the character of Atticus Finch with Gregory Peck in mind. He made it one of his most memoralbe parts. The film is the congenial adaptation of the novel. In my mind novel, film and score form a triangle of greatness. The theme Bernstein composed is one of the finest pieces of film music I ever encountered. Yet the whole score is a masterpiece and one of Bernstein's quintessential efforts.
    The re-recording Berstein conducted for Varese Sarabande is the only version that I am familliar with.

"He would be there all night, and he would be there when Jem waked up in the morning."
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A fine choice mein Captain. A great film too but unbelievably, considering how many books I've read over the decades, the classics and the trash and the plenty in between, I have never read this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2014
    #24: IMAGES (1972) by John Williams, on non-commercial promotional LP and Prometheus CD (2007).

This item is unique in several ways. IMAGES is perhaps the only disc (that I can recall, anyway) which had gotten 'legit' in its LP-to-CD incarnation. The vinyl LP (which was not licensed to my knowledge) was the only sound source available and its remastering by James Nelson gives IMAGES a new life on CD, which is probably the only offical version this score will receive since the original recording sessions are apparently lost.

More importantly, though, IMAGES is unique within the filmography of John Williams as his towering achievement in respect to avant-garde composition.
    I probably won't need to describe this music in detail since it is a John Williams opus and most readers here are likely already familiar with it.

IMAGES is the only John Williams soundtrack that resides within my top 50.

My high regard for IMAGES makes me consider the year 1972 as JW's 'peak' (and I'm sure I'm quite different than most other JW fans in this respect).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2014 edited
    Cobweb wrote
    My high regard for IMAGES makes me consider the year 1972 as JW's 'peak' (and I'm sure I'm quite different than most other JW fans in this respect).

Make that all JW fans. ....at least on this board wink

I'm probably in a minority too because I like Images, though it isn't a score I often listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Cobweb wrote

All sane ones at least.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Cobweb wrote

I'm probably in a minority too because I like Images, though it isn't a score I often listen to.

^ Agree
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote

Not only do I listen to IMAGES more than any other JW title, but I also love the unused alternate Main Titles versions that Williams wrote for THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE.
    Combine this with my interest in hearing the unreleased music Williams provided for the TV-Movie "The Screaming Woman", and this is why I consider 1972 as the high-water mark of Williams.

I think 1972 was also the zenith year for Jerry Fielding on the basis of his CHATO'S LAND and THE MECHANIC.

If I was a film-maker creating films in 1972, I'd wish for Fielding or Williams to score my film during that year.
    [just as I'd wish Piero Piccioni would've scored a film of mine if it was done in 1971 (his peak year). smile ]
  7. I think it's difficult to speak of the high water mark in a career spanning so many decades. I, too, like some of William's pre Star Wars work. I believe that 1977 was an enormously important year for Williams: Star Wars earned him vast popularity, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS earned him recognition as an artist.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. I can't honestly think of a way around 1977 for Williams; 1993 comes pretty close, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think 1977 is pretty objectively his greatest year. (And indeed 1993 a close second.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nah! His greatest year was 1932
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah yes, the year he received gold, frankincense and mir.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed! angelic cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Steven wrote
    I think 1977 is pretty objectively his greatest year. (And indeed 1993 a close second.)

Ah - but I write subjectively. 1977 would not be the greatest year if one dislikes STAR WARS as I do.
    I dislike heroic marches. No C Major/D Major music for my ears! wink

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS is my 4th favorite Williams, but it does not rank within my top 100 (let alone top 50).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're weird.