• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I still make "mixed-CDRs" as personal gifts for friends, with artwork and all. That has a lot in common with editing mixed tapes in the elder days.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2014
    #20: BIRD OF PARADISE (1951) by Daniele Amfitheatrof; paired with Hugo Friedhofer's 1952 LYDIA BAILEY [on a single Varese Club CD from the end of 2009]

http://file.blog-shinjuku-movie.diskuni … adise_.jpg

This is one of those limited-to-1,000 pressings that sold-out rapidly. I was fortunate to get one copy at the time, but, because I have grown to love this disc so much, I wish I had gotten 2 instead.

Initially, I ordered this album because of the Hugo Friedhofer opus.

LYDIA BAILEY resides within my Top 10 soundtracks by Friedhofer and, though it is not my #1 favorite from Hugo, LYDIA BAILEY is still a 4-star masterwork (to me, anyway).

Afro/Haitian rythyms and percussion are achieved by the standard orchestra. I do not detect any authentic-sounding instruments (and I doubt actual Haitian musicians were in attendance during the recording sessions).
    Still, Friedhofer's score utilizes infectious Calypso-style rythyms and thematic intervals.
    LYDIA BAILEY, on the whole, contains fierce music to depict manhunts and inhospitable events (though since I never saw the movie, this is solely my guesswork based upon the temper of the score).
    There's also a typical lyrical Friedhofer romantic theme for the Anne Francis protagonist; this aspect is rather part-'n'-parcel with most (if not all) stories and scores from Hollywood's Golden Age.
    Not until the final track does period-flavor music surface to impart a sense of its historical setting.

As much as I like LYDIA BAILEY, I like it's companion score on this disc even more.

BIRD OF PARADISE grew on me so much during my repeated listenings that I now consider it to be my favorite soundtrack by Daniele Amfitheatrof.

Amfitheatrof's dense and colorful music demonstrates that "Amfi" (as he was called by friends) could spin notes with as much facility as Dimitri Tiomkin and even surpass Dimi in this category - which is the case with BIRD OF PARADISE.
    All instrumental sections of the studio orchestra get a work-out, so to speak, with BIRD OF PARADISE. Amfitheatrof's cornucopia of themes get stated (in full or in part) and altered during development or interrupted by the next musical idea all whilst thick counterpoint transpires simultaneously and constantly throughout the score's duration.
    Difficult to describe in detail to one whose never heard of this score (or, indeed, this composer), BIRD OF PARADISE can stand with dignity alongside a program of classical music concert works by the likes of Alexander Scriabin or Ottorino Respighi or Karol Szymanowski or Vaino Raitio, etc. etc.
    If Scriabin hadn't passed way in 1915 and lived through the 1950s, one could possibly mistake the score for BIRD OF PARADISE as music by Scriabin - such is the level of this soundtrack's entrancing aural colors and intoxicating effect. An ecstatic symphonic poem of a film score!

I tend to listen to this CD on Fridays, either going to or coming back from the workplace.
    It's no exaggeration to say I listen to this Varese album on almost a weekly basis. And when I listen to it, I sometimes play it multiple times in a row before I'm satiated.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like Amfitheatrof a lot ( Hugo Friedhofer more though ) and see that Bird of Paradise is on Spotify. Your description has seriously wetted my appetite and I'll be listening to it tomorrow.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    I like Amfitheatrof a lot ( Hugo Friedhofer more though ) and see that Bird of Paradise is on Spotify. Your description has seriously wetted my appetite and I'll be listening to it tomorrow.

Hope you like it!

A pithy description of BIRD OF PARADISE: Polynesian polyphony. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    For those of us who've entered 20 albums so far, we're 40% done.

Since Timmer has been doing re-caps, I'll summarize my top 20:

1. THE ILLUSTRATED MAN
    2. L'IMPRECATEUR (LP, French language film)
    3. DANTON (LP, French language film)
    4. FANTASTIC VOYAGE
    5. THE MECHANIC
    6. LADY CAROLINE LAMB (LP)
    7. AFRICA
    8. BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB (mono sound)
    9. THE BAD SEED (LP, mono, black & white film)
    10. LADY IN A CAGE (b & w)
    11. LES BICHES (mono, French)
    12. SUMMER AND SMOKE
    13. I TRE VOLTI DELLA PAURA (mono, Italian genre movie)
    14. THE CHALLENGE
    15. THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN (LP, mono)
    16. THE FOURTH MAN (LP, Dutch film)
    17. LA CRIPTA E L'INCUBO (Italian, b & w)
    18. LES MISERABLES (b & w)
    19. CAGLIOSTRO (LP, Italian)
    20. BIRD OF PARADISE / LYDIA BAILEY

I've indicated aspects on some of my faves which I feel do not surface much onto favorites lists, such as mono recordings & music from films in languages other than English & music from monochrome cinema.

A proportion of thirds unveils itself, too: one-third of my faves thus far are LPs, with two-thirds on CD.
    Two-thirds of the films above are in English, while about one-third encompasses Italian, French, etc.

Also, 2 of my faves are films directed by international world-class directors who are 'Criterion Collection' material (one Wajda & one Chabrol).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2014 edited
    It's interesting; I don't have a single one of those you list, Cobweb. I had THE ILLUSTRATED MAN and THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN once, and I've heard some of the others here and there (at least samples of them), but that's about it.

[Wait a minute -- I DO still own THE MECHANIC on that ol' Bay Cities release]
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2014 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Additionally I had to cut some albums that contained scores I play all the time, simply because they were bundled with another score that I do not care for (this is why, for example, Prodromides' Le Voyage En Ballon and Delerue's Our Mother's House didn't make the cut, even though either would have been in my top ten otherwise).

Hi, Martijn.

Perhaps you already know, but LE VOYAGE EN BALLON by Prodromides was originally released on Philips vinyl LP around 1960. So there has been one album (at least) with Prodromides' soundtrack for VOYAGE on its own and not paired with anything else.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7306/1174 … b0a8_b.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2832/1174 … a533_b.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2014 edited
    Yeah, I'm aware, Cobweb. There's even a Japanese CD pressing of that album. However I only found that out long after I had sampled and purchased the Disques Cinemusique version (which is coupled with Un Jardin Public ).
    To be able to cut the list to a "mere" fifty I have a self-imposed rule that it should be made up from albums I actually own. Hence my decision.

(See how much thought and drive went into all of this? I probably should put that time and effort into something that might make me some money some day....but then where would be the fun in that? wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2014
    You really like that score (Voyage en Ballon) a lot eh Martijn! I heard it again recently, it's so cool (besides being fluffy too of course). Puts a smile on my face. I would not add it to my absolute favourites though!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    The Lord of the Rings albums are perfect albums.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    The Lord of the Rings albums are perfect albums.

Which ones. The single discs? The mega-sets? What makes those albums perfect to you?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    You really like that score (Voyage en Ballon) a lot eh Martijn! I heard it again recently, it's so cool (besides being fluffy too of course). Puts a smile on my face. I would not add it to my absolute favourites though!

Me neither. At least not to my top 50. It's a bloody wonderful listen though and it's not all fluffy either, I particularly love the tracks that have an impressionistic Debussy quality to them ( The Ships track comes to mind ), great music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My list so far from 1 - 20

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    THE THING - Morricone
    WALKING WITH DINOSAURS / WALKING WITH BEASTS - Bartlett
    STAR WARS - Williams
    CHINATOWN - Goldsmith
    HEAVY METAL - Bernstein
    BULLIT - Schifrin
    BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Kilar
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'll do a sum-up once we've reached the end.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tis entirely up to you Thunderer. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

Me neither. At least not to my top 50. It's a bloody wonderful listen though and it's not all fluffy either, I particularly love the tracks that have an impressionistic Debussy quality to them ( The Ships track comes to mind ), great music!

I've never heard his score to DANTON so I'm listening to it now thanks to Spotify

WOW!!!!

This is BRILLIANT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    I've never heard his score to DANTON so I'm listening to it now thanks to Spotify

WOW!!!!

This is BRILLIANT!

Here's Joep's review
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/danton/
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote

WOW!!!!

This is BRILLIANT!

Here's Joep's review
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/danton/

Thanks for that Bregt. His review is spot on. I'm very disappointed that the album on Spotify doesn't include the other two film scores mentioned, neither of which I've heard before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Uck. I hated it. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Quelle surprise!!? shocked

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    My list so far from 1 - 20

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    THE THING - Morricone
    WALKING WITH DINOSAURS / WALKING WITH BEASTS - Bartlett
    STAR WARS - Williams
    CHINATOWN - Goldsmith
    HEAVY METAL - Bernstein
    BULLIT - Schifrin
    BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Kilar

Timmer's score card thus far:

-) 20 points for compact discs; zero points for LPs
    -) 20 points for stereo sound; zero points for monaural
    -) 20 points for films in color; zero points for monochrome films

Notice a rather one-sided pattern here, folks? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2014 edited
    It's not a pattern I'm trying to create. tongue wink

This is about as close as I got Re: LP...

Timmer wrote
    # 18 HEAVY METAL - ELMER BERNSTEIN

It's worth pointing out to Mr Cobweb that this may be the nearest I get to an LP choice because it's the old LP presentation I love the most and what makes it such an enjoyable and complete listen compared with, the admittedly wonderful, FSM complete release which has many glorious moments missing from the LP which I'm very thankful for but also gets a tad bit tedious to sit all the way through.

...and I still have the LP.
  2. Cobweb wrote
    Timmer's score card thus far:

-) 20 points for compact discs; zero points for LPs
    -) 20 points for stereo sound; zero points for monaural
    -) 20 points for films in color; zero points for monochrome films

Notice a rather one-sided pattern here, folks? wink

Well, I'd imagine the following ratios for the existence of these items:

film score CD releases to film score LP releases - at least 10:1
    film scores released in stereo (including rerecordings) to film scores released in mono - at least 20:1
    films in color with score releases to films in monochrome with score releases - at least 20:1

So I don't think there's a "one-sided pattern" there any more than there's a "pattern" in the fact that more people travel by air now than they did 50 years ago. History marches on...
  3. I'd say the patterns, if anything, are more likely to be found in Cobweb's list. You are an outlier, sir, in this day and age. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2014
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    It's not a pattern I'm trying to create. tongue wink

I expected to see the tongue when I tease Timmer. smile

Sure, we all realize that we are thinking in depth when we choose our favorites.
    We not only create lists of favorites - we are also ranking them, too.
    This requires serious consideration.

Nonetheless, when we witness the results, there do appear to be some trends (not intentional, per se, but as a sort of undercurrent behind the titles of albums we list).
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    film scores released in stereo (including rerecordings) to film scores released in mono - at least 20:1

I agree that there's more product available than in the past on your other points, but the subject of mono vs. stereo I think is rather more complex.

There are lots of mono sound recordings in estates and private collections (say from made-for-TV movies as well as feature films and episodic TV) that simply do not get released because album producers are aware there's such a limited market for such.
  4. Cobweb wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I agree that there's more product available than in the past on your other points, but the subject of mono vs. stereo I think is rather more complex.

There are lots of mono sound recordings in estates and private collections (say from made-for-TV movies as well as feature films and episodic TV) that simply do not get released because album producers are aware there's such a limited market for such.

Hence why I said "film scores released." wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Hence why I said "film scores released." wink

Yes you did - but this relates to one of my stances.

Our specialty soundtrack labels have had to make certain adjustments to their sales policies.
    For example, Intrada deletes titles from their catalogue if and when there's a lack of interest.
    Most recently, the GDM label has begun to issue vintage Italian soundtracks limited to 300 pressings (down from their previous 500 pressings on titles).

The increasing lack of interest in monaural recordings amongst current customers continues to alter future album productions.
    It's a vicious circle, in a way.
    If there is a ratio of 1 mono disc for every 20 soundtracks released, then it's because we (as a collective audience) tend to 'skip' over mono soundtracks during announcements and they don't get purchased in quantity.
    A few have gone so far as to type "mono - no sale" in announcement threads.

Perhaps the 'ratio's that've been brought into discussion reflect upon the preferences of the current collector mindsets.

Maybe the larger topic is: how to get more customers interesed in vintage material and increase their purchases in this area?
  5. Interest in the "classic" scores that labels are releasing now is difficult to generate I think.

For me at least, a lot of the interest in the Golden Age scores is from having seen the films themselves as a youngster - when the films were on TV (and there was no other media to grab the attention). Hearing the music in context helped foster an interest in the music when it was released years later. I don't think that many people have the interest to watch older films from a relatively early age.

Another thing too is that, even though I do have an interest in the older scores, a lot of what I see being released now are titles I have never heard of. And a lot of these titles are from composers who I have little knowledge of too.

It's been years since there's been a run of Golden Age titles released by the speciality labels that I have been interested in buying.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn