• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2014
    Stay away from me then! Don't even quote me! I'm not risking it! angry

(I've been pretty lucky this year and last and I've managed to avoid colds like the plague. Sure, I've had a few food poisonings along the way, which is 100 times worse than a cold, but no man flu for months!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2014
    Who made up all that man-flu shit anyway?

I've had food poisoning once.....not nice. I've also had flu, real flu and I think it's worse than food poisoning ( just ). If people are still able to walk and tell you they have flu then they are mistaken, what they have is a cold.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Plus Virus Flu (Influenza) is dangerous. In Europe more people die of Influenza than of any onther disease.

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2014 edited
    Sorry for the delay.

# 17 JERRY GOLDSMITH - CHINATOWN

Such a short but such a brilliant album. I think everyone here knows that Goldsmith was a late replacement for a score by Philip Lambro, to be honest, having heard Lambro's score I'm really not sure why it was dumped? It sounds like it would have worked fine and certainly had a nourish feel to it, on the plus side ( putting it lightly ) we can be thankful Goldsmith was given the opportunity to write one of his most enduring and beautiful scores, the now classic solo trumpet lead love theme, the avant-guarde Planet of The Apes like percussion to the sublimely ethereal moments in tracks like J.J. Gittes, there's just not one wasted note in this brilliant score, the period source tracks are cracking too, what a superb album.

It's quite likely the best film Jerry Goldsmith ever scored, a true classic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2014
    I'm not quite as ecstatic as you about CHINATOWN, but it's a classic film starring my favourite actor and a classic score nonetheless. The main love theme has become somewhat of an 'evergreen' over the years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2014 edited
    Here's mine:

17. AVATAR (James Horner)

Imagine my surprise when this came around and relatively quickly became my alltime favourite Horner score. With his track record, that was surely something. As always with the composer, the album is a bit on the long side and some of the straight-out action cues don't do that much for me. But the glittering, ethereal, gorgeous music for the 'mystery' of Pandora is to die for and thankfully there's a lot of that on the disc. Of course, it works wonders in the film, but as a standalone piece it takes me on a journey to distant fantasy places that aren't necessarily tied to the film's universe. Now, there is another Horner score that I have an even closer personal connection to and that will pop up on the list soon, but in a toss-up and when all aspects are considered, this gets the first spot.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I had a feeling AVATAR would show up in your list soon. It's a fantastic score though it won't be appearing in my list.
  2. @Timmer
    As I am not into Jazz and jazzy film music, I never really warmed to Chinatown but I acknowledge its status.

@Thor

When I was in 7th grade I wrote an illustrated essay about the Titanic disaster. My Grandparents had given me a book about that tragic event a short time before and that started a bittersweet love affair. The first feature film I saw about Titanic was the old German propaganda UFA flick of 1943. It gave me nightmares! Many years later I was astonished to what exstend Cameron had plundered that film. Maybe he counted on the fact that that German version is little nown outside Germany. Today I own practically every featur film on that topic on DVD.

Of course, when I first saw Cameron's Titanic that really was A Night To Remember. I found the story largely forgettable but I loved the imagery, the production design, the attention to detail. I know something about the loo of that ship ... well, kudos to Cameron's team. In that regard, the film really is a triumph.

Another thing that stood out for me was the score by James Horner. The that finally dethroned STAR WARS as the bestselling orchestral score album of all time.

I love every aspect of the score. The Enya rip off with it's fake choir that gives the music an otherworldly vibe. There is a VS recording with a real choir. Nice, but it just doesn't compare. Great, sweaping melodies, heartbreaking melodrama, some of the best action cues I have ever heard. (A Building Panic). A masterwork of musical storytelling.

So, my

No 17 is TITANIC by James Horner

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't like the song. I don't like the Enya rips. Aside from those points I think it's a cracking score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    @Timmer
    As I am not into Jazz and jazzy film music, I never really warmed to Chinatown but I acknowledge its status.

Well, aside from the main theme there's nothing jazzy about it. Still, I respect your opinion.
  3. Time to catch up my list a little.

#10 RUDY - Jerry Goldsmith

It has a glorious main theme, and the football theme is fantastic, as well, making for such a triumphal finale. This score is just wonderful, and my favorite Goldsmith score.

#11 YO YO MA PLAYS ENNIO MORRICONE

Take a bunch of the greatest movie themes of all time and have one of the worlds greatest cellists perform them. Who wouldn't love this album? There are many of these themes that I love even more than their original recordings. I love tracks from THE MISSION and MALENA especially.

#12 W./E. - Abel Korzeniowski

Korzeniowski is, in my opinion, the brightest star to appear in film scoring in the last ten years. I'm really impressed by everything of his I've heard (which is everything that's had a commercial release so far), and this is my favorite album of his. It has wonderful themes, and I love his way of building a track over repeated ideas (Korzeniowski's style of minimalism). This is a very good score.

Well, that's three more down. I'll post some more in a bit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2014
    Two more lots of 3 choices and you'll be up to date Christopher. Great choices btw. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2014 edited
    My list so far from 1 - 17

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    THE THING - Morricone
    WALKING WITH DINOSAURS / WALKING WITH BEASTS - Bartlett
    STAR WARS - Williams
    CHINATOWN - Goldsmith
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Also perhaps worth reminding people that we're talking soundtrack ALBUMS here, not necessarily how the score works in the movie (although in most of the cases so far, they work well there too).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Also perhaps worth reminding people that we're talking soundtrack ALBUMS here that represent music that was composed specifically with a certain film in mind. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nah, screw that!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    Also perhaps worth reminding people that we're talking soundtrack ALBUMS here, not necessarily how the score works in the movie (although in most of the cases so far, they work well there too).

Absolutely!

This also gives you carte-blanche to include LADYHAWKE wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Indeed.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    By the way Thor, I actually quite like Ladyhawke. I really don't understand the hate garnered towards it, particularly at the FSM board.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    #17: LA CRIPTA E L'INCUBO (1964) by Carlo Savina, on Digitmovies CD (2011).

https://www.digitmovies.com/digitmovies … 1159e3.jpg

This item was a blind buy which, over a short period of time, cast a spell upon me and quickly arose onto my list of faves.

Upfront, let me say that anybody who expects melody and/or memorable themes when listening to music will most likely be disappointed upon hearing this type of film score.

Savina's effort for LA CRIPTA is largely suspended chords to lend ambiance and, at times, Savina's ambiguous music could be taken as sound effects rather than emotional underpinning.

LA CRIPTA does have several different themes, but they seem rather detatched from the flick's narrative.
    Indeed, this soundtrack as a listening experience does not tell any story in the conventional sense and is all mood music.

While some woodwinds make themselves heard, this score is fundamentaly keyboards, percussion & strings.
    Lots of organ chords, harp plucking & sardonic harpsichord - occasionally accompaned by the wail of a singing saw to impart a 'spooky' haunted atmosphere.

Not for all tastes, LA CRIPTA E L'INCUBO can be best appreciated by listeners who revel in the aural textures of the acoustic sounds themselves (rather than a theme or a leitmotif).
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014
    Timmer wrote

FYI, Timmer, I consider SECONDS to be my favorite film that's scored by Goldsmith (followed by SEVEN DAYS IN MAY and then THE MEPHISTO WALTZ) - so I personally don't rank CHINATOWN within my top films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    there's just not one wasted note in this brilliant score, the period source tracks are cracking too, what a superb album.

Do you listen to tracks 3, 5 & 9 (the artificially chanelled stereo source cues) every time you listen to the CHINATOWN album?
    I almost always skip these 3 songs. smile
  6. Cobweb wrote
    #17: LA CRIPTA E L'INCUBO (1964) by Carlo Savina, on Digitmovies CD (2011).

https://www.digitmovies.com/digitmovies … 1159e3.jpg

This item was a blind buy which, over a short period of time, cast a spell upon me and quickly arose onto my list of faves.

Upfront, let me say that anybody who expects melody and/or memorable themes when listening to music will most likely be disappointed upon hearing this type of film score.

Savina's effort for LA CRIPTA is largely suspended chords to lend ambiance and, at times, Savina's ambiguous music could be taken as sound effects rather than emotional underpinning.

LA CRIPTA does have several different themes, but they seem rather detatched from the flick's narrative.
    Indeed, this soundtrack as a listening experience does not tell any story in the conventional sense and is all mood music.

While some woodwinds make themselves heard, this score is fundamentaly keyboards, percussion & strings.
    Lots of organ chords, harp plucking & sardonic harpsichord - occasionally accompaned by the wail of a singing saw to impart a 'spooky' haunted atmosphere.

Not for all tastes, LA CRIPTA E L'INCUBO can be best appreciated by listeners who revel in the aural textures of the acoustic sounds themselves (rather than a theme or a leitmotif).

Listening to the clips on iTunes, it's certainly not one that immediately appeals! But, "Tema d'amore" does sound lovely. And is "La Cripta e L'incubo (Attesa Grottesca M11, Sonagliera)" a bit of a comedic play on the Dies Irae?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to the clips on iTunes, it's certainly not one that immediately appeals! But, "Tema d'amore" does sound lovely. And is "La Cripta e L'incubo (Attesa Grottesca M11, Sonagliera)" a bit of a comedic play on the Dies Irae?

Yeah - it's a little bit of grotesquerie by Savina.
  7. Cobweb wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Yeah - it's a little bit of grotesquerie by Savina.

Giving the album a spin now...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote
    there's just not one wasted note in this brilliant score, the period source tracks are cracking too, what a superb album.

Do you listen to tracks 3, 5 & 9 (the artificially chanelled stereo source cues) every time you listen to the CHINATOWN album?
    I almost always skip these 3 songs. smile

Why would I want to skip 3 very fine songs? In short, No!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote
    Stay away from me then! Don't even quote me! I'm not risking it! angry

(I've been pretty lucky this year and last and I've managed to avoid colds like the plague. Sure, I've had a few food poisonings along the way, which is 100 times worse than a cold, but no man flu for months!)

...aaaaaand I have a cold. I blame Timmer! angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Even the virtual world ain't safe. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

FYI, Timmer, I consider SECONDS to be my favorite film that's scored by Goldsmith (followed by SEVEN DAYS IN MAY and then THE MEPHISTO WALTZ) - so I personally don't rank CHINATOWN within my top films.

I'd also put Papillon above 2 of your choices. wink

( I've not seen The Mephisto Waltz but have long enjoyed the score )