• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    If I were to participate in this thread I'd probably cheat and list the three Lord of the Rings scores as 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3... shame

I would insist you chose one at a time. Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi have all been listed as favourite albums in this thread and all listed as singular favourites.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2014
    I think doing stuff like that defeats the purpose. The fun of this is actually CHOOSING, not including as much as possible.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll set off some time to list my Top 50, so that I can post the ones I'm lagging behind.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    If I were to participate in this thread I'd probably cheat and list the three Lord of the Rings scores as 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3... shame

I would insist you chose one at a time. Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi have all been listed as favourite albums in this thread and all listed as singular favourites.

I'd argue that the three Rings scores (and films), at least to me, play much more as a cohesive unit than the three Star Wars scores (i.e. you don't have George Lucas making shit up as he goes along, and Williams having to follow suit). Certainly it feels to me like Shore was always writing with the bigger picture in mind, which I don't think can be said of the Star Wars scores (although that's no criticism of them, of course).

If you had to make me choose I'd probably go for Return of the King though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2014
    Alright, time to pick up the pace again. Let me get up-to-date:

11. ROCK SOLID THEMES (various)

This is somewhat of a cheat, since it's a fanmade compilation that is not available commercially, but it's one of the best damn albums I've heard -- a selection of glorious 80s and early 90s synthpop themes arranged in a supersmooth fashion. Now sought-after soundtrack artist Jim Titus created the cover for me.

12. LE CINEMA DE... (Georges Delerue)

This stupendously fantastic 6CD-set will represent all of Delerue in my list, and not only because it's so representative of his career, but because Delerue is mostly a 'theme' person for me. I always found his suspense writing rather grating, so that's why even scores like AGNES OF GOD and BLACK ROBE -- despite containing the wonderful religious sound in certain tracks -- don't hold up as full album experiences for me. The only downside is that the box itself, as well as the booklet, were falling apart at the seams when I unwrapped it, but that's not Delerue's fault.

13. INDIANA JONES & THE LAST CRUSADE (John Williams)

The original MCA release, of course. This, in fact, represents all of Indiana Jones in my list. I've always preferred the smoothness and 'concert-like' performance of this one over the more gritty RAIDERS, mickey-mousey TEMPLE and too-modern CRYSTAL. Each track is a setpiece or mini-symphony onto itself, and there's even my beloved religious sound for the grail.

14. HOOK (John Williams)

Yes, be prepared for a lot of Williams in my list. This came out just as I was becoming aware of film music, and I fell immediately in love with it. Again, the religious sound is apparent in "Face of Pan", but there are some smokin' action and adventure cues too -- chockful of melodies and wide dynamic orchestrations. This is obviously the original Epic CD, not the expansion. In fact, even the Epic CD becomes a bit too long, especially some of those neverending mickey-mousing action cues towards the end. But overall, a fantastic experience of an album.

15. THE NEVERENDING STORY (Klaus Doldinger/Giorgio Moroder)

Strong nostalgic relationship to the film, so there's that connection. But mostly it's some damn fine writing by both Doldinger and Moroder -- on the one hand the very extrovert and consonant music of Doldinger, and on the other the indelible hooks and immediacy of Moroder's compositions. Perfect combo, and I treasure my ol' Japanese EMI import of this dearly.

So, these are my picks so far:

1. JURASSIC PARK (John Williams)
    2. THE RETURN OF THE JEDI (John Williams)
    3. THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (Danny Elfman)
    4. EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (Danny Elfman)
    5. BEYOND RANGOON (Hans Zimmer)
    6. JANE EYRE (John Williams)
    7. THE ABYSS (Alan Silvestri)
    8. ALIEN 3 (Elliot Goldenthal)
    9. BLADE RUNNER (Vangelis)
    10. WATERWORLD (James Newton Howard)
    11. ROCK SOLID THEMES (Various)
    12. LE CINEMA DE GEORGES DELERUE (Georges Delerue)
    13. INDIANA JONES & THE LAST CRUSADE (John Williams)
    14. HOOK (John Williams)
    15. THE NEVERENDING STORY (Klaus Doldinger & Giorgio Moroder)
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    mickey-mousey TEMPLE

Say what now? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, it's overall too whimsical for my taste -- given the almost Looney Tunes-nature of the film at times. But it has some great tracks too, especially the "Slave Children's Crusade", which often gets stuck on my mind for some reason.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Temple of Doom is by far the darkest and most action-packed of the Indy scores! I can't imagine hearing anything like "Approaching the Stones" in a Looney Tunes cartoon, that's for sure. Pretty much the only cue in that entire score that sounds like what I'd call "whimsical" is "Nocturnal Activities", but that's it. The action is very fast-paced but certainly not whimsical - I'd say that's word's a more apt descriptor for Last Crusade, actually.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nice one Thor, well done! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    If you had to make me choose I'd probably go for Return of the King though.

See! You can do it. biggrin

I still have one of the LOTR scores shortlisted ( Sorry Cobweb, it's not Leonard Rosenman's version* ), the key word being one, so yes, I would have made you choose. wink

*I love Rosenman's work on LOTR but I can't sit through the whole thing, I will say that there is not one piece from all of Shore's work that matches the brutal awesomeness of Rosenman's 'Helms Deep'. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2014 edited
    I think I can disappoint a great many already by saying that none of Shore's LOTR scores feature on my list. It's the Delerue situation again -- some absolutely fantastic individual tracks, but overall there's too much of Shore's droney action and suspense music that keeps the album from working for me as a whole. And that's the regular albums I'm talking about, much less said about those crazy mammoth expansion thingies.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Shore LOTR score isn't a sure thing with me yet. I have around 60+ scores written down for shortlisting still left and personal reasons will come up as to why I'll disregard such and such a score. As an example, one of my shortlisted scores, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND, I shunted well away from my top 10 because I don't really like 'The Conversation' track and tend to skip it, other than that, CE3K is one of my all time favourite scores. It's the pain of being honest with oneself and following ones own criteria*.

"luvvie" bloody comment or what? wink
  4. Hook

"The Face of Pan"
    There is no track of that name on the Epic album. Thor, did you mean "You Are the Pan" or where do I find the music you indicated?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor meant 'You Are The Pan'.

Mind you, Thor could have been referring to his beloved C&C release of the score to HOOK?
  5. This is one of the rare cases where I actually prefer the commercial release over the expanded one. Hook is a bit too much on the oparetta side for me. The commercial albums just about get's it right. The expanded release is interesting but - for me - not such a great listening experiance.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor meant 'You Are The Pan'.

Mind you, Thor could have been referring to his beloved C&C release of the score to HOOK?

I meant "You Are the Pan", sorry. I usually suck at remembering track titles, since I just press 'play' and let it go all the way through.

Edit: I actually see now why I confused it with the "Face of Pan" title, and I'll get back to that in a future entry. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    There has been many fabulous documentary scores over the years but on the whole they are rarely released in any shape or form

A coincidence that you should bring this up, Timmer, because my next special mentions include an unreleased score for a 'mock'umentary...
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb

14.1 THE SAVAGE EYE by Leonard Rosenman. Shot in 1959 and shown in 1960, THE SAVAGE EYE is a peculiar mix of stream-of-consciousness narration (with beatnik-style poetry), candid exposé and sensitive introsepction. The viewer follows along a recently divorced woman's travels within a Los Angeles containing cross-dressers, bogus faith-healers and other unsavory aspects of society not typically encountered in mainstream Hollywood productions at the time.
    Rosenman's musical material is purportedly culled from a chamber sinfonietta of his, but no recording of either is available to my knowledge. Very striking and uncompromising music at the vanguard of modernism in art music.

14.2 TAM LIN by Stanley Myers. The only film directed by Roddy McDowall (filmed in 1969), this item had company distribution problems and a number of alternative titles (THE BALLAD OF TAM LIN or THE DEVIL'S WIDOW).
    The subject matter (the Scottish setting and folklore legend) inspired Stanley Myers to write enchanting themes, sexy/jazzy moments and suspense thriller music at the climax.

Good luck in tracking down a video of either of the above! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Come on, Timmer.....are you OK with all this?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Now onto my 15th favorite soundtrack album ... which could have been Lalo Schifrin's THE FOX but got disqualified by me because both the 1967 Warner Bros. LP and the 1999 Aleph CD are re-recordings which favor songs and stand-alone pieces written especially for album at the expense of the original music actually heard during watching the film.

So ...

#15: THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN (1958) by Malcolm Arnold, on 20th Fox LP.

This is not a typo! In 1958, 20th Century Fox established a record division onto which the studio could release soundtrack LPs from their feature films; however, the label was called simply 20th Fox with no 'Century'.

While I have a number of favorite film scores by Malcolm Arnold, I decided to select THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN as my album of his with respect to listening experience.
    Arnold produced authentic-sounding themes and motifs depicting the French Congo and the elephants themselves. Minna's theme for accordion has the character of French cafe music and it was written for singer/actress Juliette Gréco.
    Typical Arnold ascending crescendos and quivering strings accompany other scenes of danger, such as sandstorms.

The contents of this LP surfaced in an album devoted to Greco with other film-related music, and the entire score had gotten re-recorded years ago on the Marco Polo label by Morgan & Stromberg but the origianl '58 vinly LP is still my favorite incarnation.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2014
    Thor wrote
    Come on, Timmer.....are you OK with all this?

No I'm not.

Great 15th choice Cobweb but your 14's? Video's??? uhm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    From the very first post on page 1....

I thought I'd try and do a top 50 countdown of my all time favourite film score albums except rather than list 50 I'm going to do them one at a time, this way, as I get past the first five ( which are pretty much set in stone ) I give myself time to really think about which other 45 scores I want on the list.

My criteria for choosing is simple...

1. How enjoyable a play it is ( err duh!? rolleyes )
    2. How many times I've played it ( Well, a favourite is going to be played lots )
    3. Does it play beginning to end with the minimum amount of/or even no baggage

____________________________________________________________________________________

Looking at how I laid out that first post, it strikes me that I didn't really make very clear stipulations, I should at least have made clear that my criteria should also be your criteria for choosing.

This .1's and .2's is going too far and it's especially going too far when it's music contained on videos. I would prefer if you kept to one legitimate album Cobweb, you can still easily include mention of obscure scores on video or whatever within a post mostly devoted to an LP or CD choice.

Thank you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer's layin' down THA LAW! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. And I shall obey the leader. It's in my genes. wink

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Great 15th choice Cobweb but your 14's? Video's??? uhm

Hi, Timmer.

My special mentions reflect my rankings of my favorite film music (whether on albums or not). If music from any of these special mentions gets future soundtrack releases, then my positioning them indicates how they'd rank within the existing albums.

For example, if a label such as Kritzerland or Intrada were to release Rosenman's THE SAVAGE EYE, then THE SAVAGE EYE would become the 'new' #15 ahead of THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN but still following THE CHALLENGE.

If TAM LIN then gets an album, then TAM LIN would become the 'new' #16 and THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN will bump to 17th position.

etc. etc.

Sorry for the confusion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    I would prefer if you kept to one legitimate album Cobweb, you can still easily include mention of obscure scores on video or whatever within a post mostly devoted to an LP or CD choice.

I shall do so, Timmer.

Just so happens my #s 16 through 19 are all one-entry albums with no special mentions. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    cool beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014
    # 16 STAR WARS - JOHN WILLIAMS

What can I add here that hasn't been said by others, other than a personal recollection?

Well, as a young teenager the first piece I heard of the music was MECO's disco version that became a huge chart hit, I didn't have money to buy the soundtrack so ordered a lending copy from the central library ( so that I could tape it :stone-age: ), man I was so disappointed that it was nothing like MECO's single cheesy

Anyway, after seeing the film I totally fell in love with this score and saved all my pocket money to buy the double LP so it could join my very proud collection of about 15 soundtracks stacked next to the record player.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Well, as a young teenager the first piece I heard of the music was MECO's disco version that became a huge chart hit, I didn't have money to buy the soundtrack so ordered a lending copy from the central library ( so that I could tape it :stone-age: ), man I was so disappointed that it was nothing like MECO's single cheesy

Anyway, after seeing the film I totally fell in love with this score and saved all my pocket money to buy the double LP so it could join my very proud collection of about 15 soundtracks stacked next to the record player.

This could be a passage taken from my own yet-to-be-penned autobiography!

I remember getting this album first on cassette (I remember the green plastic of the cassette) and it was the first thing to be played on my mono cassette player that I also got that Christmas. I am not even sure if I was able to listen to this in any form of stereo (i.e., headphones). It didn't take long for the cassette to be worn down and I had to go looking for an LP version of the score (which I found on holiday that summer in a record shop on Skye!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. ^ The Force is strong with this one.

One of the most importand scores in film music history. I still own the original releases of the OT scores, but only Jedi on vinyl.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014
    There it is, Timmer. I was wondering when it would pop up. I used up my STAR WARS quota with RETURN OF THE JEDI on second place -- IMO the superior score of the franchise -- and will not be including any other STAR WARS scores on my list, even though they're all brilliant.
    I am extremely serious.