• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014 edited
    When's your 4th favo(u)rite John Barry album arriving at the 13th floor, Timmer?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014
    There is more John Barry to come ( and one of which is a more 'left of field' choice )

My 13th choice ( Coming on Monday ) is not John Barry.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Aha! So it's every Monday. A regular schedule, eh Timmer?

So far, there's a 1 in 4 chance for a John Barry title (according to the pattern in Timmer's 1st dozen).
    I'm guessin' the next John Barry will be between 14th & 16th position ... smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, not great odds at the bookies eh? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I have a theory -- I think I know who cobweb is. Don't worry, I won't out you here.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2014
    Oh - I have a different user name at every website I'm a member of.

I have yet another name at the TalkClassical site. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    I got it, Timmer.

You're 13th favorite album is not a:

-) 78 r.p.m
    -) 45 r.p.m EP
    -) vinyl LP
    -) cassette tape

It's ......................................... a compact disc. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Spot on Sherlock.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014
    # 13 MICHEL LEGRAND - THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR

A wonderful score, from breezy jazz to dramatic scoring plus one of the greatest film songs ever written, The Windmills of Your Mind, perfectly sung in the film with haunting quality by Noel Harrison ( forget Sting's effort in the remake ), there's a second fine song sung by Legrand himself, His Eyes, Her Eyes. The centre piece of the score is probably The Chess Game, quite simply one of the most playfully erotic cues ever written, a mini-masterpiece in the film of music and images. There's not a moment from this score not worth listening to and, in fact, it could do with expansion.

As a footnote I'll point out that I quite like Bill Conti's score in the remake. A remake that is actually, IMO, better than the 1968 original though it's leads have no where near the charisma of McQueen and Dunaway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014
    #13: I TRE VOLTI DELLA PAURA (1963) by Roberto Nicolosi, on Digitmovies CD (2009)

My top 50 has to include a soundtrack from a movie made by Mario Bava.

This is the original Italian version which was later re-dubbed & re-scored by AIP and shown as BLACK SABBATH. Not until around Y2K did the Italian print surface onto DVD, letting English-speaking territories finally see this Bava opus without the AIP tampering and the Les Baxter re-do.

And it wasn't until 2009 that soundtrack collectors were able to get the full score on an album.
    The entire recording sessions exist in mono, with the surviving stereo tracks in the bonus section.

Along with THE ILLUSTRATED MAN, this is one of the finest scores to an anthology film with its 3 separate stories unified musically by Nicolosi.

The album opens with the IL TELEFONO segment (my favorite of the 3). An actual 12-tone theme is played mainly on the bass fiddle and given jazzy variations with lots of short cues with TV-style stingers.
    The WURDALAK center-piece is the longest part of Nicolosi's score, and, in addition to introducing several themes, Nicolosi continues to use the 12-tone motif from the previous segment as well as quote a theme he wrote for Bava's 1960 BLACK SUNDAY.
    The 3rd episode - LA GOCCIA D'ACQUA (A DROP OF WATER) - is another brief effort but with some proto-psychedelic sounds from organ and percussion. Motifs from both story 1 & 2 re-appear within, making this final segment a satisfying wrap-up of the entire portmanteau.

I can listen to this album multiple times in a row, and I listen to it frequently.

Any unfamiliarity with this composer should not deter one from investigation, especially if one is a horror movie soundtrack buff and not put-off by Italian film music and/or monaural sound.

I TRE VOLTI DELLA PAURA comes highly recommended by me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2014
    My list so far from 1 - 13

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    Tim, we're talking about favorite film score albums, right? So compilations count?

I originally said no to compilations but I realise I've already broken that rule myself with the Vaughan Williams choice.

Sorry shame

So, COMPILATIONS ARE ALLOWED.

Same rules apply, it has to be an album that you enjoy listening to all the way through, no skipping tracks etc.
  2. Timmer wrote

COMPILATIONS ARE ALLOWED.
    Ta Taaaa! wink

It's no. 13 already and I add another score by Klaus Doldinger. Of course this can only be

Das Boot (1981)

This score is immensely popular over here in Germany. I first got the theme on a Doldinger compilation but quickly discovered the brilliance of the overall score. In fact it rivlas Chariots of Fire in being my favourite electronic score. There are two incarnations of this score on CD, the LP master and a remastered and expanded version that coincided with the release of the cinematic director's cut of the film. I prefer the latter one for its better sound. The added music is rather inconsequential.
    From a German perspective the main theme is one of the most iconic film themes ever written. The score captures the many mood changes in the course of the narrative perfectly. This shows that an electronic score can work in almost every context, that film music does not necessarily need to reflect the period of its film. This score - as the film - is nothing short of a triumpf!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Superb film, superb score! 'nuff said.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014 edited
    Earlier in this thread, I mention Sol Kaplan's THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD.
    While this is not in my favorite 50 albums, I've owned this LP for almost 29 years and now its coming out officially (and finally) via Intrada on CD! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2014
    Cobweb wrote
    Earlier in this thread, I mention Sol Kaplan's THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD.
    While this is not in my favorite 50 albums, I've owned this LP for almost 29 years and now its coming out officially (and finally) via Intrada on CD! smile

Very good news. Great score and a great film.

Cobweb, I'm betting you're somebody who knows his Humphrey Searle? I still hope that a label, CHANDOS being by far the most likely, will do an album of his work. Though there are only two ( excellent ) film scores to his credit he did do a number of TV scores, I was wondering if his Doctor Who work still exists?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2014
    I wish I knew more about Humphrey Searle's music - there so little of his music available.

Searle did more than 2 film scores. He had scored a number of British comedies such as LEFT RIGHT AND CENTER (1959) and LAW AND DISORDER (1958), and did a film with a young Sean Connery in its cast called ACTION OF THE TIGER (1957).

Do manuscripts exist of his film scores with his widow and/or estate - I don't know.

I think the German CPO label might be a more likely source for a complete film score re-recording (considering CPO did a complete re-do of Benjamin Frankel's BATTLE OF THE BULGE).

The volumes of Chandos are very nice indeed, but they tend to reduce an entire film score into a single suite and we already have short suites from THE HAUNTING and THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN thanks to a Silva Screen horror compilation album.

As for Searle's TV works, none exist to my knowledge. The best I've encountered is a BBC radio collection CD on "The Myth Makers", which is a recording from the broadcast of these 4 Doctor Who serials.
    So ... if you don't mind listening to all 4 parts of Who's "Myth Makers" story, then you can hear Searle's incidental music. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2014
    Thanks for the information sir smile beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2014
    A bit late. Coming tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2014 edited
    # 14 THE THING - ENNIO MORRICONE

I remember buying the LP of this along with Elmer Bernstein's Heavy Metal way back in 1982 from That's Entertainment in London's Covent Garden accompanied by Jo who was my then girlfriend, why I remember that so well compared to other purchases I don't know?

I just love this score ( and film ) from beginning to end, from the John Carpenter influenced main titles to the bleak atonal landscapes, there's something about deep space, the oceans, mountains and vast desert/ice scapes that bring out the best in great composers. This is the kind of thing ( pun not unnoticed shame ) that I just love to wallow in, dark and moody, just wonderful stuff from this film music genius.
  3. This is a FANTASTIC score. The bleakest parts of The Thing is what I like best about this score. It's like Morricone just took that whole environment, distilled it all down into a concentrate and turned it into music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well said Alan. beer

It's amazing how little of Morricone's score remains in the film.
  4. I'm so behind in this thread! I've been taking a break from film music and message boards for a bit. So now that compilations are allowed, I'll announce a new #3 for me:

#3: John Williams: Greatest Hits 1969-1999

This two disc compilation has most of the master's greatest themes on it. I just listened through the whole thing the other day and I can't help but be blown away by so much great music. It's a great presentation of the themes as well, the best idea, I think, being the combination of the two glorious themes from Jurassic Park into a single suite. While the cue from Hook played, my wife, who is mostly apathetic about music (which has its pros and cons), said, "This is SUCH good music. Can you imagine a better score for that film?" Ha! She's never says stuff like that. And it's exactly how I feel about nearly ever track on this excellent album.

That slides all my previous choices down a number, bringing me to...

#9: RICH IN LOVE - Georges Delerue

The score is wonderful. Where many of Delerue's albums had a great theme with a lot of not-as-great filler, this score is nearly wall-to-wall beauty. And he gives so many instruments a chance to shine on their own throughout the score. And because the album is short (just under half an hour) it doesn't wear out its welcome or get old at all. Though it is not his final score, it nearly is, and because it's so lovely, I think of this as Delerue's swan song.

I have a bunch of catching up to do yet, but here's my list for now:

1 Glory
    2 Braveheart
    3 John Williams Greatest Hits 1969-1999
    4 Ladies in Lavender
    5 Un Homme Et son Chien
    6 Meet Joe Black
    7 Durango
    8 Schindler's List
    9 Rich in Love
  5. Robinson wrote
    Hmmmmm... I would like to put in this list the following ones: American Beauty, Finding Nemo, Signs, To kill a Mockingbird, Vertigo, Psycho, Up, Ratatouille...

That's a fine list. I'm sure several of those will end up in mine, too. Care to elaborate on any of your choices, Robinson?
  6. The Thing: I really don't like horror films and hence I have very little horror scores.

My # 14 is DUNE (10191) - by Toto

This is by far my favourite score that combines rock and symphonic elements.
    I loved the film ever I first saw it. In fact I saw it long before I read the novel and that may be a reason why the obvious flaws of the film never mattered to me that much.
    The CD is among the oldest in my collection. I was still in grammar school and I remember trading CC tape copies to schoolmates in exchange for other music.
    The theme is legendary, the score grand and versatile. One I've played ad nauseam.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Toto's DUNE? cool beer

As for horror scores... Psycho? The Omen? Hellraiser? The Fury? Dracula? ....so many, don't you like any of them or is it a case of not hearing because you've not seen the film?
  7. I have

The Omen I-III
    The Fury
    Dracula (Williams and Kilar)
    Frankenstein (Doyle)
    Rosemary's Baby
    Poltergeist I+II
    Ghost Rider
    Nosferatu (1922)

Out of 845.

Alien I-IV and Event Horizon? That's sifi, right?

O and yes, it's because I don't see the films. The film always comes first. Listening to the score album means reliving the film. No interest in the film almost no interest in the music. The music is great and I don't know the film? I need to see it! For me film music always remains program music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Event Horizon is kind of Hellraiser in space so it counts. Alien I-IV is definitely sci-fi/horror. I would also include any Hannibal Lector scores as being defined as thriller/horror, there's a lot of other films that could be defined as such.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    O and yes, it's because I don't see the films. The film always comes first. Listening to the score album means reliving the film. No interest in the film almost no interest in the music. The music is great and I don't know the film? I need to see it! For me film music always remains program music.

I thought that was the case. I recall you mentioning this before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014
    Before I post my 14th, I wish to mention 13.1, which is BLACK LIKE ME (1964) by Meyer Kupferman.
    Not well known, but a favorite composer of mine. smile