• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2014 edited
    #5. THE MECHANIC (1972) by Jerry Fielding, on Intrada CD.

The liner notes by Lukas Kendall are a reason enough for this version of THE MECHANIC to be in my top 10.
    Kendall not only goes in depth about Fielding's dodecaphonic techniques but also creates awareness in the reader/listener of just how deep a film score's approach can be. Fielding underscores the interior existence of a hitman. A hitman who resides in the upper 1% income bracket because of his facility for killing and enjoys the fine things in life: expensive food and beverages, solicitation of prostitutes and listenting to classical music.

While one may be tempted to consider THE MECHANIC as simply yet another Charles Bronson action movie, one would be doing this picture and its music a disservice. Kendall even goes so far as to liken the isolated existence of the hitman to the career of the contemporary composer of absolute music (that is, an artist who possesses fine control over his raw material). Fielding's score is likewise a superb example of the 'intersection' between the abstract and the popular.

This 2007 Intrada CD is the most satisfying version of THE MECHANIC to have arrived by that point in time.
    THE MECHANIC was originally presented in suite format on a 1978 Citadel 2-LP collection which was re-issued on CD by Bay Cities in 1990.
    The Intrada offers the complete score with source music in the bonus section.
  1. I have nothing against gibberish lyrics per se, but it seems to me that when you're writing music for the Tolkien universe, the canon languages themselves are the obvious choice for choral lyrics. At least Howard Shore understands that...

Cobweb wrote
    [I own an LP of Horner's HUMANOIDS OF THE DEEP, by the way, and none of Horner's subsequent albums have ever surpassed it, IMO]

Tastewise, you are what they call a true original, I'd say. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2014
    Cobweb wrote
    This 2007 Intrada CD is the most satisfying version of THE MECHANIC to have arrived by that point in time.
    THE MECHANIC was originally presented in suite format on a 1978 Citdel 2-LP collection which was re-issued on CD by Bay Cities in 1990.
    The Intrada offers the complete score with source music in the bonus section.

I have that Bay Cities release. It's pretty good if I'm in the mood for it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Why James Horner's fanbase? Is it a case of Star Trek jealousy? Horner himself can be quite avant-garde and dissonant in his action writing at times and I don't just mean Brainstorm.

Not only Horner's fans, but lots of fans of Sci-Fi.

Based upon the divided opinions on Rosenman's STAR TREK IV, it seems a lot of fans have come to expect specific music writing to accompany vessels in space and so forth. As if there exists a musical "norm" for outer space and/or time travel and that which deviates from that norm causes dissatisfaction.
    Just image if a Dimitri Tiomkin or a Maurice Jarre had scored a STAR TREK movie with chorus narration or a cimbalon smile - there'd be lots of dislikes from the resultant soundtrack, I think.

[I own an LP of Horner's HUMANOIDS OF THE DEEP, by the way, and none of Horner's subsequent albums have ever surpassed it, IMO]

I think Rosenman's score for STAR TREK IV works fine, it's an Earth based score, not much happens in outer space. Rosenman rightly keeps it grounded ( so to speak )

Re: HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP? Hmmmm!? uhm To each their own as they say wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Fielding is a severely underrated composer. Very challenging, but underrated.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know, I know, this one is a big surprise to all of you...

# 007 JOHN BARRY - ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE

Out of all of Barry's great Bond scores it's this one that, for me, stands head and shoulders above all others. Far Up! Far Out! Far More! was the films tag-line and that goes double for this masterpiece, John Barry pulled out all the stops for this one, a Bond score on steroids to get the public used to a brand new Bond in George Lazenby. A brilliant instrumental title theme augmented by moog synthesisers ( one of the earliest scores to use the moog ) and gets a good workout as the films action theme, another great piece that conjurs the grandeur of the Alps, great suspense and lounge pieces ( Who Will Buy My Yesterday's is just sublime ) and one of the greatest and most transcendental Bond songs of them all in We Have All The Time In The World which has now become a true evergreen.

I would point out that the original album release would not have made my top 50. The 2003 expanded releases were a true god-send for a Barry fan like myself, in fact it was the first time in years that I'd felt that fluttery excitement that I used to get as a teenager at the prospect of a new mouth-watering release.

p.s. Yes, I do like that Christmas song biggrin shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. So it's # 007 actually ... wink
    Sublime choice, mate! My favourite Bond score together with The Living Daylights.

My # 7:
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Ennio Morricone

I prefer the line up of the LP version and the sound of the remastered one. I'll elaborate later.

Volker

Well, what is there to elaborate, really? That Title theme and "Extasy of Gold" are just among the finest things film music ever. Check out the versions on "We all love Ennio Morricone"!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    quote]Captain Future wrote

So it's # 007 actually ... wink

EGADS!!! I'm slipping. I didn't see that. shame

I've now edited it to make amends wink Cheers! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I have nothing against gibberish lyrics per se, but it seems to me that when you're writing music for the Tolkien universe, the canon languages themselves are the obvious choice for choral lyrics. At least Howard Shore understands that...

Ah ... that Tolkien's works of fiction deserve more respect than a real-life African dialect (such as Twi). biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Quite a bit to cram in between my 5th & 6th choices.

There's:

5.1 ONIBABA (1964) by Hikaru Hayashi (no soundtrack)
    5.2 THE MEPHISTO WALTZ (1971) by Jerry Goldsmith (on Varese with THE OTHER but with missing sound elements which make the soundtrack mix sound different than the score as heard in the film)
    5.3 HOUSE OF MORTAL SIN (1976) by Stanley Myers (no soundtrack; aka THE CONFESSIONAL)

THE MEPHISTO WALTZ could have been my #6 entry, but I love the music in the picture much more than the 1990s Varese Sarabande CD.

[ ... still awaiting a CD box set of all 5 Pete Walker movie soundtracks by Stanley Myers!]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like Stanley Myers work a lot. He'd make a good candidate for CHANDOS records Film Music series.
  4. Cobweb wrote
    Quite a bit to cram in between my 5th & 6th choices.

There's:

5.1 ONIBABA (1964) by Hikaru Hayashi (no soundtrack)
    5.2 THE MEPHISTO WALTZ (1971) by Jerry Goldsmith (on Varese with THE OTHER but with missing sound elements which make the soundtrack mix sound different than the score as heard in the film)
    5.3 HOUSE OF MORTAL SIN (1976) by Stanley Myers (no soundtrack; aka THE CONFESSIONAL)

THE MEPHISTO WALTZ could have been my #6 entry, but I love the music in the picture much more than the 1990s Varese Sarabande CD.

[ ... still awaiting a CD box set of all 5 Pete Walker movie soundtracks by Stanley Myers!]

MECHANIC is a superb score. Not dissimilar to my second choice, which I should get around to posting.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. #7 - SHINDLER'S LIST - John Williams

This is my favorite Williams score, and, in my opinion, his strongest album. There are several of his scores that, even though they are filled with great music, still have music in them that I usually choose to skip. Not so much with this one. Both major themes are fantastic, and there is so much wonderful music besides. Pawel said a lot of good stuff about this one already. I'll leave it at that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014
    I love the songs and whatever bits of sweeping romanticism there is in Barry's OHMSS, but as most of you know, I fall off the bandwagon when it comes to his action and suspense writing. Since this is about whole soundtrack albums, I doubt you'll find much Barry in my Top 50 (if it had been about individual themes, it would be a different matter).

My pick:

7. THE ABYSS (Alan Silvestri)

The finale music was one of the most crucial pieces of film music that made me a soundtrack fan in the first place (I still remember lying on the floor, of all things, listening to the end titles cue as the film played, thinking to myself "I wonder if soundtrack albums contain the same kind of concept feel I love in my prog rock and electronic albums?"). Aweinspiring, majestic, religious like few other pieces in cinema history. Beyond that, though, there are also some interesting synth textures (very "watery") and some percussive stuff. This isn't quite in the same league, but I've grown to appreciate it over the years as part of the album experience -- the gradual buildup towards the finale.

And no, I haven't picked up the expanded version. I don't think that's a good idea.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    "I wonder if soundtrack albums contain the same kind of concept feel I love in my prog rock and electronic albums?"

...said no one ever (except Thor).
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014 edited
    #6: LADY CAROLINE LAMB (1972) by Richard Rodney Bennett, on Angel records LP ('73).

Angel records was previously the high-end line of Capitol which released mostly classical music.
    One typically did not expect a movie soundtrack to surface onto Angel, except concert suites of William Walton's film music.

LADY CAROLINE LAMB, despite its commercial and critical failure at the box office, was an ideal candidate for a soundtrack album with a life of its own divorced from its cinematic origins.

Bennett's score is rather short in duration, filling only one side of the vinyl LP. For this album release, Bennett arranged his film score into his "Elegy for Lady Caroline Lamb" for solo viola and orchestra - which occupied the other half of the record.

Both facets of Bennett's music are excellent. Yet another example of the 'intersection' between concert music and film score. Bennett composed an unforgettable main theme for the Lady in Romantic mold and bolstered such within a classical framework (which symbolized Caroline's husband Mr. Lamb). "The best of both worlds" as Robert Bolt described in his liner notes.

LADY CAROLINE LAMB has witnessed several incarnations on CD courtesy the holding company EMI/Capitol.
    However, some versions were combined with material from Bennett's MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS or ENCHANTED APRIL, etc.
    Before Quartet became Quartet, they re-issued LADY CAROLINE LAMB as a solo album replicating the original LP program on their 'Singular' label.

I like the Singular edition the most out of the multiple CDs, but ultimately the initial LP is my favorite album because of its theatricality (Side 1 or Side A and Side 2 or Side B) which divides the film tracks and its concert incarnation onto two seperate sides (one aspect of the vinyl medium which did not carry over into the age of the compact disc).
  6. Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    "I wonder if soundtrack albums contain the same kind of concept feel I love in my prog rock and electronic albums?"

...said no one ever (except Thor).

I wonder If soundtrack albums might be a way to relive that wonderful film I have just seen, away from the screen, with colsed eyes and additional scenes in my mind that not even the director dreamed of. And even more so, so much more so complete and chronolgical releases, like that delicious new edition of The Abyss that I am just now listening to.

cheesy Volker
  7. I wonder if soundtrack albums just exist to allow people to listen to some good music that happens to also have been written for a film?
  8. The music doesn't "happen to appear" in a film. It was written specifically for that film. There is a bond between film and music that never snappes. It is programme music and it stays programme music. That at least is how I feel about it. everyone else's approach is of course no less legitimate.
  9. Acknowledged, and have edited my statement to reflect that. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    #7: AFRICA (1967) by Alex North, on Prometheus CD.

My favorite Alex North composition is his Symphony for a New Continent. This is either derived from his musical material for the AFRICA television program or perhaps it is a composition especially written for the MGM LP album. I never saw the TV transmission, so I don't think I'll ever know for sure what music North wrote for the show that's not on the soundtrack album and vice versa.

Whichever the case, North's AFRICA is the ideal representation of my classical/film music intersection.

AFRICA's re-issue on CD by Prometheus is, to me, an improvement over the MGM LP. Not only are there 2 more selections which surfaced onto the CD which were not on vinyl, but the CD format lends itself better to the 4-movement symphony (the last movement of which was deposited onto track #1 on Side 2 of the LP because of time/space constraints, which breaks up the listening expericence).

North's Symphony is his most modern opus, in my opinion (more so than DRAGONSLAYER and even 2001), but the individual tracks for the TV program are more conservative with respect to harmonic vocabulary.

AFRICA is an aqcuired taste, to be sure (FSM members such as David "MMM" Schecter and Dana Wilcox have been quite vocal about their dislike of AFRICA), so one shouldn't expect the more typical musical narrative associated within most of the soundtracks we love to collect/listen to.

Recommended only to those who love 20th century absolute/concert music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    The music doesn't "happen to appear" in a film. It was written specifically for that film. There is a bond between film and music that never snappes. It is programme music and it stays programme music. That at least is how I feel about it. everyone else's approach is of course no less legitimate.

True. We should never forget that when we examine film music; that it exists on album purely by luck.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I wonder if soundtrack albums just exist to allow people to listen to some good music that happens to also have been written for a film?

Captain Future wrote
    The music doesn't "happen to appear" in a film. It was written specifically for that film. There is a bond between film and music that never snappes. It is programme music and it stays programme music. That at least is how I feel about it. everyone else's approach is of course no less legitimate.

You may want to google 'facetious'. wink (I would have linked to a "Let Me Google That For You", but I've already used it twice this month.)
  10. You in return may want to google: Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014
    It's time for Tristram Cary! smile

#8: BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1971) by Tristram Cary, on GDI CD.

Tristram Cary is destined to be on my Top 50 soundtracks - as is a Hammer Film; with this title, I've gotten both Cary & Hammer into my Top 10.

When GDI Records released BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB in 2002, it became my favorite album gotten in that year (and my most frequently played).

This type of music (short cues with lots of stingers) can only have come from the realm of film & TV. Indeed, on the surface BFTMT sounds as if could have been written for TV (monaural sound, cues that offer quick dramatic punctuation and/or brief transition music from one scene to the next, etc.).

Nonetheless, composer Cary invests such an abundance of instrumental colors that his music simply flows, and memorably so. Amidst the sturm & drang exists main themes which evoke ancient Egypt (via superb writing for woodwinds) and impart a degree of sensuality to the onscreen female pulchritude on display (Valerie Leon). Intoxicating listening, if you don't mind pinched mono sound and numerous "wild takes" in the bonus section.

Recommended to the collector who's interested in archival material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014
    Hey Cobweb, slow down! We can't stay AHEAD of topic starter Timmer. Once he's posted his 8th, we can do so too. Them's the unwritten rules, right?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2014
    Yup! Slow down there me lad.

My 8th coming next and please wait until after I pose my 9th before posting your 9th. Much appreciated sir.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2014
    Thor wrote
    Hey Cobweb, slow down! We can't stay AHEAD of topic starter Timmer. Once he's posted his 8th, we can do so too. Them's the unwritten rules, right?

Oh - those unwritten rules. If they're not written down, then we can't read them.

I'll stop posting for now, but I'm still ahead of Timmer because my 50 are already determined and Timmer is just making all this stuff up as he chugs along. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    My 8th coming next and please wait until after I pose my 9th before posting your 9th. Much appreciated sir.

Is it my fault that Timmer's slow? smile

Where does Beethoven's 9th come in?