• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2014 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I always assumed that Spielberg was talking about the late classical composers (Williams' score is largely informed by musical Romanticism).

Directors talk utter tosh at times ( as do we all except ours is rarely quoted ), I remember Spielberg said some bollocks about not being able to make The ColoUr Purple because he wasn't a black man*.

*Just so Quincy Jones could massage his ego.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. That's one of a few Spielberg movies I haven't seen yet.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. I would be hard pressed to name William's "definitive masterpiece". Yet this, Pawel, is an excelent choice. One of the finest works in the realm of symphonic film music.

As you said, this is a sad score. At the same time there is something uplifting inherent in this score. An indication of its greatness. Another indication is that this score was instantly adopted to the world of classical music. The concert suite is now a standard in violin literature.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2014
    It's all debateable but I'd say CLOSE ENCOUNTERS of The 3rd KIND was his masterpiece.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. It's always debatable, but I've never been as touched as I am by this one. It's a matter of taste, of course smile .
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's always debatable, but I've never been as touched as I am by this one. It's a matter of taste, of course smile .

And there you go. I, as you know, chose E.T. for the exact same reasons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    It's all debateable but I'd say CLOSE ENCOUNTERS of The 3rd KIND was his masterpiece.

He has created MANY masterpieces! FACT! There isn't a definitive ONE!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One of the greatest film scores written...

# 6 STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Another score that I've bought multiple times, first on LP then the CD of the LP, followed by the 20th anniversary and finally the 3 CD set.

Not really much I can add that hasn't been said by others except perhaps that I always thought this would make a very fine symphony.
  4. What would you do with the Blaster Beam then? smile
  5. ^ "V'Ger must evolve. Its knowledge has reached the limits of this universe and it must evolve. What it requires of its god, doctor, is the answer to its question, "Is there nothing more"? "

I. Love. This. Film. I hope Gene Roddenberry has found that answer.

Number 6:

The Never Ending Story - Klaus Doldinger
    German domestic edition.

The vinyl single of "Flug auf dem Grlücksdrachen / Bastian's Happy Flight" was the very first thing film music I ever owned. I believe it is one of the most beautiful fantasy scores ever. Lyrical, emotional, gripping.

cool Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What would you do with the Blaster Beam then? smile

Dunno!? Wouldn't that have been up to JG to sort out? spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Never Ending Story

Interesting choice Captain. I bought the German version with Doldinger's score only but I also bought the more commercial one with Moroder's contributions ( which I like ), Limahl's song has nostalgia value.
  6. As I said, this is a nostalgia thing for me, too. Of course Doldinger is a big star hereabouts. Many film music fans here love that score.

When The Phantom Menace was released some claimed that "Anakin's Theme" had been lifted from "Atrejus Berufung / Atreju's Quest". There is a slight resemblance but I think it's coincidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt5CD_TSLBQ

I also own both editions of the score. In Germany the song was never connected to the film. Nevertheles I also like the music Moroder wrote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NEVERENDING STORY is a personal favourite of mine -- part nostalgia, part because it's smokin' spinechilling music (both the Moroder and the Doldinger). STAR TREK is obviously a classic and spectacularly displayed in the film itself. It works wonders on album too (I have the Sony release from a few years ago), and like Timmer says, has an almost symphony-like structure, even in its C&C.

My pick:

6. JANE EYRE (John Williams)

Bliss! Heartbreaking, pastoral harmonies in the vein of Vaughan Williams (a representative of my beloved religious sound), a restrained but overpowering love theme, some brief bursts of dissonance, melancholic and uplifting at the same time. What's not to like? It also manages the difficult task of making me like the sound of a recorder, an instrument that was much maligned in primary school music classes. I have the Silva reissue from a few years ago.

I know that Timmer adores this too, as do many others here, of course. These are hardly controversial picks at the top!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Unless someone picks Mr. Baseball!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    MR. BASEBALL is obviously in a league of its own! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeedy! cool

It won't be any surprise to you at all that JANE EYRE will be turning up in my top 50.

Thor wrote

These are hardly controversial picks at the top!

Apart from our esteemed friend Cobweb who could only surprise me by picking a mainstream well-beloved-by-all score wink , it's pretty much expected by many of our choices and a big part of that is that we know each other so well from years of conversing and sharing, to many here our picks are no surprise. I think some of this will change as we get into higher numbers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    MR. BASEBALL is obviously in a league of its own! smile

"ouch!" Be still my hurting ribs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014 edited
    I'm returning to Hollywood ... as did Leonard Rosenman in 1966 after four years in Italy ... for ...

#4. FANTASTIC VOYAGE , on FSM CD.

This one has always ranked highly with me since its first appearance on disc in 1998.
    I had already positioned FANTASTIC VOYAGE in 4th place BEFORE LaLaLand made its announcement regarding this score's re-issue on their label.

I'm so satisfied with FSM's disc that I doubt I'll acquire its latest incarnation onto LaLaLand.

FV is my favorite Rosenman soundtrack, and this stands (along with Goldsmith's COMA) as a superlative example of how clever the "spotting" process could be in films. Rosenman does not underscore anything in the "real" world until the miniaturized protagonists enter into the human body's blood stream - after which a plethora of instrumental colors and orchestral sound blocks transpire to form what may very well be the first film score in Hollywood which could also be considered as sound sculpture [that is, the sound textures themselves (labeled as "sonorism" within 20th century classical music) are the Raison d'être rather than melodies which are customarily expected in film music by film-makers and audiences alike].

I don't expect melodies, speaking for myself, in the music which I listen to; however, I do expect FANTASTIC VOYAGE to be a very polarizing item within the soundtrack collecting community. This could be expanded to even Leonard Rosenman's entire career as well as listeners can love his music or hate it.

One can detect from my Maintitles user name and image that I'm pro-Rosenman. smile

I think James Southall gave FANTASTIC VOYAGE a one-star rating in his review (or perhaps it was Jon Broxton? - I don't recall exactly).

So it's up to each of us as individuals to make our own assessment of FV. Is it a masterpiece or nonsensical disappointment?

It's a 4-star masterpiece with me! biggrin
  8. #6 - DURANGO - Mark McKenzie

I am a massive fan of Mark McKenzie. His melodies and orchestrations resonate with me more deeply and consistently than any other composer's. And this is, in my probably unique opinion, his strongest album. Now I love a number of his other scores and most of them will probably end up in my top 50, but this one is just so strong. There are a number of themes in the score, all of them highlighted in the wonderful suite that starts the album off. The love theme is outrageously gorgeous. I love the Celtic flavor of the score. I've told myself in comparing McKenzie's scores that this one really shouldn't be my favorite, but every time I come back to it I come to the same conclusion - it really is unbeatable in his discography, as far as a listening experience as an entire album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014
    I think FANTASTIC VOYAGE is a great score, Cobweb. Just one thing, a "4-star masterpiece" out of how many stars?
  9. I can only imagine a Roger Ebert-like 4-star scale...either that or our friend Cobweb is very discerning with his fifth star.
  10. One of my latest aquisitions. A real classic! Five star 60s science fiction scoring.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    I think FANTASTIC VOYAGE is a great score, Cobweb. Just one thing, a "4-star masterpiece" out of how many stars?

Yeah - I'm refering to the standard 4-star rating.
    When I do expand the scale (say, 1 to 8 with 8 being the highest), then I would say so (like over @ FSM).

I wonder how many fans of John Barry's music also listen to Leonard Rosenman? biggrin
    Or is Rosenman-bashing more likely to come from James Horner's fan base?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Before my 5th entry, I'd position Ingmar Bergman's 1966 PERSONA film music by Lars Johan Werle as my next favorite after FANTASTIC VOYAGE - but I can't because there's no soundtrack for PERSONA. sad
  11. If it did exist as an album, they'd have to include a track of that arrhythmic tap dripping from the film's opening.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  12. Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah - I'm refering to the standard 4-star rating.
    When I do expand the scale (say, 1 to 8 with 8 being the highest), then I would say so (like over @ FSM).

I wonder how many fans of John Barry's music also listen to Leonard Rosenman? biggrin
    Or is Rosenman-bashing more likely to come from James Horner's fan base?

Why James Horner's fanbase? Is it a case of Star Trek jealousy? Horner himself can be quite avant-garde and dissonant in his action writing at times and I don't just mean Brainstorm.
  13. I can imagine quite a few fanbases being irritated at Rosenman for some of the smug-jerk-ish things he's said in interviews. Basil Poledouris fans, for one. Not sure if he ever said anything against Horner but I wouldn't be surprised. And as a Tolkien fan I don't think I can ever forgive him for making up some gibberish lyrics for the choir to sing in his Lord of the Rings. angry

I'm only half kidding about that last one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2014 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Why James Horner's fanbase? Is it a case of Star Trek jealousy? Horner himself can be quite avant-garde and dissonant in his action writing at times and I don't just mean Brainstorm.

Not only Horner's fans, but lots of fans of Sci-Fi.

Based upon the divided opinions on Rosenman's STAR TREK IV, it seems a lot of fans have come to expect specific music writing to accompany vessels in space and so forth. As if there exists a musical "norm" for outer space and/or time travel and that which deviates from that norm causes dissatisfaction.
    Just image if a Dimitri Tiomkin or a Maurice Jarre had scored a STAR TREK movie with chorus narration or a cimbalon smile - there'd be lots of dislikes from the resultant soundtrack, I think.

[I own an LP of Horner's HUMANOIDS OF THE DEEP, by the way, and none of Horner's subsequent albums have ever surpassed it, IMO]
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I can imagine quite a few fanbases being irritated at Rosenman for some of the smug-jerk-ish things he's said in interviews. Basil Poledouris fans, for one. Not sure if he ever said anything against Horner but I wouldn't be surprised. And as a Tolkien fan I don't think I can ever forgive him for making up some gibberish lyrics for the choir to sing in his Lord of the Rings. angry

Miklos Rozsa also concocted gibberish lyrics for SOMETHING OF VALUE, so this is nothing new and rather indicative of film-makers thinking that audiences would not know any better to know the difference. biggrin

As for the human being and his/her art, I trust the art and not the artist.