• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014
    Cobweb wrote

By the way, Timmer, my criteria is rather different from yours. For me, a soundtrack that possessess a certain level of complexity which mezmerizes me to revisit it often for repeated listens in order to 'crack the code' is my main criteria for nominating favorites. And THE ILLUSTRATED MAN is the one which affects me the most as a listener.

That's fine Cobweb, this thread is partly all about those albums that compel repeat plays. I was quite surprised your first choice was so "mainstream" wink

I don't know where THE ILLUSTRATED MAN falls for me ( it won't feature in my top 50 ) but it is a great score.

Anyway, this is all about our tastes as individuals and as I said before, I look forward to seeing more of your postings as the lists build, none of us here will be as left-of-field as you, and in my book that's to be celebrated.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014 edited
    My 5th choice could so easily have been my 1st choice....

# 5 JOHN WILLIAMS - E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL

The reason this isn't number 1 is simply because I don't play it that often. This score for me is one of the most personal albums I own, Williams magnificent music is very connected with a sad event in my life back in 1982 to the point that the music has become that time and those memories, this score becomes, for me, far farrrrrrr more than the film it was written for, a personally poignant and emotional journey.

I should point out that I'm talking about Williams original rerecorded album on MCA as released at the time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I never connected so mauch to the film and hence not to the music either. Without doubt a great score though. When I rebooted my ipod these days I also opted for the original album.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. My fifth entry in this column is The Black Hole by John Barry

This score is a first cousin to Goldsmith’s Star Trek TMP: Both are science fiction scores, both have a terrific main theme, both brilliantly combine orchestral and synth elements. Both scores feature the Blaster Beam sound effect in abundance. Both films made their debut in 1979.
    The main theme found my intention when the film aired in Germany in the mid-80s. Already being the Sci-Fi buff that back then that I still am today, I taped the film on VHS. The main theme with its sweeping Moog sounds blew me away! I had never heard something like that before. What did I do? My parent’s TV set lacked an audio line out link, so I placed my CC recorder in front of the TV set and copied the theme “though the air”. By today’s standards the sonic result was abyssal. But what did I care back then - the theme was mine! I recorded many themes that way and I later found out that I was not the only one to resort to that technique.
    When I started collecting film music on CD around 1990 compilations were a major means of informations and orientation. The theme from The Black Hole was one I constantly searches for. I found one or two inferior versions, inferior because they did not feature any synthesisers. Then I found Erich Kunzel’s Fantastic Journey and my joy would have been complete had Kunzel recorded the longer end titles version of the theme.
    The next step in this journey was a bootleg from Italy. Out of nowhere came a CD production of the LP soundtrack content, supposedly by the label “Mask”. That CD found its way to regular vendors until a few weeks later it was unmasked as a boot. The remaining stock was destroyed. Indeed that boot had been mastered from a LP in such quality that it never ceased to astonish me. For long years that bootleg was one of my most treasured possessions. I have to say, a closer look on that CD should have been enough to make anyone suspicious: Music from Howard the Duck was on this CD as well as some random music from [d]James Bond[/d]. No legal information, no nothing. But it sold well.
    A regular CD release of The Black Hole had been clamoured for by collectors for years. Disney deemed the LP master unsuitable for a CD release. That did not hinder a release of that master in digital form. (Indeed the Overture march has seen a regular release on CD: On Sci-Fi’s Greatest Hits Vol. 1 of the German Edel label. I wonder what the source of that track was.) The original master recordings were rumoured to be lost. It was known those had been digital recordings, allegedly the first of that kind in the realm of film music.
    Then, in 2011, along came Intrada and announced the release of score in its entirety, mastered from the original digital source. This was the apex of my film music collecting career. The technological challenges that had to be dealt with to make this release possible are described in detail in the liner notes of this release and that is a fascinating read in itself. I still regard this CD in awe and wonder whenever I hold it in my hands.
    One final word about the music: In all honesty the score is not on par with Goldsmith’s magnum opus of the same year. Aside from the “Main Theme” and the “Overture” the score is standard Barry, which means it never gets boring but it is nothing really to fuss about. Yet if you know the back story of the Intrada release and the story of the score itself, if you are as nostalgically attached to the film and music as I am, well, then this is one of your most favourite film music albums ever.

Volker

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ildwpls3sn3l5 … CI0011.JPG
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhhh Mein Captain! A great choice IMO ( as a king fan of John Barry I have to say that I'm not sure if THE BLACK HOLE would break my top 50 John Barry let alone my overall top 50 smile ), getting the Intrada complete version really revealed hidden depths and highlights previously missing, a lot of the suspense stuff is Barry-by-numbers but I still love it.

CYGNUS FLOATING ...there's just something about Barry's "mysterioso music that does something special for me love

And no, you weren't the only one recording themes from a TV set. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    E.T. is a great choice! It's not in my Top 10, but definitely somewhere in my Top 50. This was another that I analyzed in my thesis, so I obviously have a close connection to it (although not as personally as you, Timmer).

My choice:

5. BEYOND RANGOON (Hans Zimmer)

I remember finding the CD in a cut-out bin in the late 90s and picking it up based on Zimmer's name alone. Certainly one of my better deals. Ethnic textures are Zimmer's main forte, IMO, and my favourite part of his sound. He delves into these exotic elements by using a lush, romantic template. One of the most moody soundtracks I own -- I'm immediately transported to the shores of Burma with flying mosquitos, jungle branches flickering against a sunset backlight and heat waves rolling along the 'face of the water'. Goosebumps galore! (haven't seen the film in ages, so the brutal story it conveys is far away from my own experience of the album).

And yes, I know this album and score is very popular here at maintitles (and maybe elsewhere).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2014
    I like BEYOND RANGOON a lot. I don't know if any Zimmer score will make my top 50? Who knows?? I'm basically making this up as I go along.
  3. My #5 is...

MEET JOE BLACK - Thomas Newman

I just love that theme. And I love Thomas Newman's romantic side. This album has just the right balance between Newman's quirk and heart-melting gorgeousness, and it has my favorite piece of film music ever - "That Next Place." The additional music on the album is also very good. Newman often has a bunch of extra music that clutters things up, but the big band arrangement and the fantastic song at the end only add to this album's goodness. Great stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2014
    christopher wrote
    My #5 is...

MEET JOE BLACK - Thomas Newman

I just love that theme. And I love Thomas Newman's romantic side. This album has just the right balance between Newman's quirk and heart-melting gorgeousness, and it has my favorite piece of film music ever - "That Next Place." The additional music on the album is also very good. Newman often has a bunch of extra music that clutters things up, but the big band arrangement and the fantastic song at the end only add to this album's goodness. Great stuff!

Absolutely gorgeous score, and very nice film - although misunderstood by many, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I didn't misunderstand the film D, it was a tedious bore. I also remember being surprised that Newman's score sounded intrusive during the whole end sequence though I really wouldn't want to watch the film again to reaffirm that opinion.

I do agree with Christopher that it's a good album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony Hopkins is never a bore smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Anthony Hopkins is never a bore smile

okay shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    franz_conrad wrote
    Cobweb, I don't know who you are, but you have taste, and a great deal of it.

Thanks for the compliment, franz-conrad!

Taste is always subjective, obviously, but, when one has cultivated throughout the years a specific area of preferences, the overall aesthetic on display can be quite recognizable & distinctive.

I hope my selections #2 through #50 will provide interesting reading. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    ...and in my book that's to be celebrated.

When's you book coming out, Timmer? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ...and in my book that's to be celebrated.

When's you book coming out, Timmer? :D

Will it feature men with oil too?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

Will it feature men with oil too?

YES!

There will be a tiny section dedicated to you.
  4. C'mon, it will be a 500 pages fanboy eulogy on John Barry! biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Captain Future wrote
    C'mon, it will be a 500 pages fanboy eulogy on John Barry! biggrin wink

I think a book on John Barry would sell.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    C'mon, it will be a 500 pages fanboy eulogy on John Barry! biggrin wink

I think a book on John Barry would sell.
    Tom

There's been two books on him already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2014 edited
    #2: L'IMPRECATEUR (1977) by Richard Rodney Bennett, on Barclay LP.

I suspect this item is more of what Timmer is expecting from me!

A French-language film with music by U.K.-born Bennett. No Hollywood to be heard! biggrin

To me, L'IMPRECATEUR is an ideal soundtrack album to represent the intersection of contemporary classical music and music for film. Most of my top 50 soundtracks will be in this 'intersection' category.

Soundtrack collectors who already own and like this score may wish to investigate R.R. Bennett's concert music as well. His Symphony No.1, his Messiaenic piano concerto from 1968, and his 1975 violin concerto can be great companion pieces to L'IMPRECATEUR.
    [for those who've never heard it - or of it - you need to acquire a taste for this type austere soundsculpture]

Mostly icy string writing, with percussion (and lots of keyboards - piano, electric piano, electric guitar, harpsichord, cimbalom, harps & organ).

While I'm grateful this quite obscure work has been re-issued onto CD by MusicBox Records, the CD also pairs Bennett with a Gabriel Yared score and sort of ruins the atmosphere of Bennett's music.
    This is why I prefer the original French vinyl (which I remember getting in 1987 at age 20 from R.T.S. mail order smile )
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2014 edited
    #3: DANTON (1983) by Jean Prodromidès, on DRG Records LP.

Released in January of 1983, DANTON was made in 1982 by an interesting mixture of French and Polish talents. French and Polish performers were directed by Polish director Andrzej Wajda in a French-language production about the French Revolution.

The 1790s setting, though, is most decidedly not invoked by the composer whose music sounds neither "French" nor historical. This is pure 20th-century abstract composition!

While DANTON was in pre-production and/or production (during the Polish solidarity movement and the notoriety of Lech Walesa), director Wajda encountered the 1981 Chant Du Monde LP containing Le livre des Katuns by Prodromidès. Le livre des Katuns is a contemporary cantata from 1977 for orchestra, chorus & soloists. Wajda wished for Prodromidès to write the music for DANTON using similar ensembles.
    Prodromidès delivered the goods - and then some - and his score for DANTON must surely rank as the finest example of absolute music functioning as cinema underscore.

DANTON was performed by the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra under the direction of Jan Pruszak and the Choral Music Society of Warsaw conducted by Maciej Jaskiewicz.

As with my #2 entry above, I prefer the initial vinyl record because it is an LP program of solely the music from DANTON.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6511 … c6f1_b.jpg

While I love the re-issue of DANTON on CD via Disques Cinemusique, it partners DANTON with 2 of Prodromidès' French EPs from the early 1960s. They are nice to have on digital media, believe me, but those 2 EP programs are not of the same ilk as DANTON...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014
    Stop picking such big Hollywood blockbusters, Cobweb!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014
    Hipster alert.
  5. Thor wrote
    Stop picking such big Hollywood blockbusters, Cobweb!

biggrin

I don't mind a list of interesting sounding scores I've never heard of. (I've long given up coming here to see if anyone listens to what I do. wink )
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014
    Good to see you here Joep. Don't be a stranger ( as we say here in UK ) smile
  6. Now time for my #3:

John Williams - Schindler's List

To me Williams' definite masterpiece. A movie like this is very hard to score, which Williams himself remarked to Spielberg after seeing the first cut ("You need a better composer for this", to which the famous reply was: "I know, but they're already dead").

This is a score which I put on the list purely for its emotionality and beauty factor. To appreciate its beauty and emotions one doesn't have to know the movie it accompanies, though of course it's a movie that is known and MUST BE known by any respectable fan of cinema (however I first came across that score before I saw the film, when Schindler's List was first on TV, my parents downright banned me from the living room and disallowed my watching it with them, I do understand it, though I was heavily disappointed at the time... I was 9 years old; I know for a fact that the film is watched in Israel's history classes, however).

This is as close to musical perfection as it can be. The sense of a nation's tragedy is persistent. The themes are beautiful and emotionally resounding. Still though, for Williams standards, it's an exercise in restraint, even if we are allowed the explosively haunting Immolation, with the lyrics being the Hebrew for "With our lives we give life", which... isn't it a part of Talmud or something like that?). The point? Not overshadowing what's happening on screen (the most harrowing sequences are mostly left unscored, the preparations for the Ghetto liquidation are scored with a cue for synthesizer, strings and a weeping solo clarinet, of course in a distinctly klezmer mode). The Remembrances theme is another piece of transcendent beauty.

I don't listen to this often. It's not a score that allows for many listenings in a year, but when it does, one can't dismiss its beauty. Just can't.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2014
    ("You need a better composer for this", to which the famous reply was: "I know, but they're already dead").

I always found that comment a little irritating, the implication being that, at that time, John Williams was the greatest living composer. And who were the dead ones that could have been considered?

Anyway, a very very fine choice Pawel.
  7. I always assumed that Spielberg was talking about the late classical composers (Williams' score is largely informed by musical Romanticism).
  8. And I must say that while I know that this score is very depressing, it always makes me feel better. I think it's because of its musical quality. It is a cathartic score leading one to reflect, but also the amount of sheer beauty makes me appreciate what I have more than I sometimes do. It's a matter of personal experience, I think.

I have the same with The Thin Red Line... it's a film and score that always make me feel better, because there it's an hour of feeling OK with being who I am and the feeling of being understood. When I watch The Thin Red Line, I actually find it life-affirming, I always end up with a strong will to live my life the way I want to live it.

Weird, isn't it?