• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    The Thin Red Line? I'm shocked Pawel. I was sure you'd choose Jerry Goldsmith's Mr Baseball.

biggrin

I wonder if anyone out there actually is a fan of THAT one biggrin

I've heard it fits the film well. I haven't seen it, except for some Rocky films I mostly hate sports movies though they do often get great scores.

p.s. I think there are a few JG die-hards at FSM who like the score. Live and let live I say wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...my 4th choice

# 4 THE BIG COUNTRY - JEROME MOROSS ( 1958 )

Much as I love the full original score it can be difficult to sit all the way through unlike Silva Screen's wonderful rerecording under Tony Bremner's baton which I have played so many times over the years. This score is just EPIC and a melodic feast from beginning to end and unless you're an ancient Japanese soldier all alone on some Pacific Island thinking WW II is still happening then I doubt you've not heard one of the greatest film themes of all time...

THE BIG COUNTRY THEME

One of my most memorable experiences was hearing this on a car radio while driving out to The Grand Canyon, one of those sublime moments of art meeting life.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. You hate Hoosiers and Rudy too (the movies)? The first Rocky is quite dark and gritty, so I can understand where you're coming from smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2013
    Not seen either of them. ( I don't really like Hoosiers score either. Rudy is very good though )
  2. "And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
    Nietzsche: Beyond Good and Evil

Beautyful post indeed, Pawel. Thin Red Line is definitely one of my favourite Zimmer scores.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. franz_conrad wrote
    Ok, time to play this game. This one's going to be a bit off the beaten track for some, but those who know it will understand.

PORTRAIT OF A LADY (Wojciech Kilar)

Great post, Michael. That's a very worthy choice, and I agree with much of your description of the score and its various highlights. I love "Twilight Cellos," "A Certain Light," "Kiss," and "Love Remains." Excellent stuff.

Pawel, your choice comes as no surprise, but thanks for sharing your thoughts about it smile

D, I've never heard THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE. I've heard it mentioned a couple of times, but not enough that your choice was expected. I'll have to look into that one.
  4. The re-recording of The Big Country is one of my more recent purchases. It's brilliant!

My fourth entry in this column is Star Trek The Motion Picture by Jerry Goldsmith

I first listened consciously to the main theme when I bought the Out of this World compilation that John Williams did with the Boston Pops for the Philips label. That is still one of my favourite compilations. (See? We are not to enter compilations, yet we can smuggle them in through the back door.) Not very much later I saw the film on VHS video and the score did not escape my intention. This was about 1990/1991. It was, however, not before 1999 that I would actually buy the score on CD. That anniversary collector’s edition is still in my collection even though I also got the LLL edition in 2012.

I am a huge fan of complete score presentations because I sort of relive the film by listening to the score. That and the superior sound make the LLL album my favourite presentation of the score. I am not that interested in the additional stuff, so a two CD set would have done for me. These points notwithstanding I sometimes like to turn to the anniversary edition for a more condensed presentation. The sound of that edition is still decent.

What fascinates me about this score is the fusion of orchestral score and synth elements, music and sound design. I doubt I have ever listened to a better score in that regard. There are lush themes especially one of the greatest main themes ever. The score fits the film like a glove. The general style is romantic. In that regard Goldsmith connects his score to the tone set by John William’s Star Wras. At the same time it is completely independent. Gentle, grand, lyrical, visionary. This is a score I would love to listen to in a planetarium.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Awesome choice Captain. And I think it's the first choice not coinciding with a score I already listed to come up that will be featured in my list.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christopher wrote

D, I've never heard THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE. I've heard it mentioned a couple of times, but not enough that your choice was expected. I'll have to look into that one.

It's a very good score ( though I doubt it would even make my top 300 let alone top 50 ), I would certainly recommend giving it a listen Christopher, dark, orchestral/choral work that is leap-years better than the lacklustre efforts JNH has produced in recent times.

I would think nostalgia plays a big part in D's love of this score.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    The re-recording of The Big Country is one of my more recent purchases. It's brilliant!

My fourth entry in this column is Star Trek The Motion Picture by Jerry Goldsmith

I first listened consciously to the main theme when I bought the Out of this World compilation that John Williams did with the Boston Pops for the Philips label. That is still one of my favourite compilations. (See? We are not to enter compilations, yet we can smuggle them in through the back door.) Not very much later I saw the film on VHS video and the score did not escape my intention. This was about 1990/1991. It was, however, not before 1999 that I would actually buy the score on CD. That anniversary collector’s edition is still in my collection even though I also got the LLL edition in 2012.

I am a huge fan of complete score presentations because I sort of relive the film by listening to the score. That and the superior sound make the LLL album my favourite presentation of the score. I am not that interested in the additional stuff, so a two CD set would have done for me. These points notwithstanding I sometimes like to turn to the anniversary edition for a more condensed presentation. The sound of that edition is still decent.

What fascinates me about this score is the fusion of orchestral score and synth elements, music and sound design. I doubt I have ever listened to a better score in that regard. There are lush themes especially one of the greatest main themes ever. The score fits the film like a glove. The general style is romantic. In that regard Goldsmith connects his score to the tone set by John William’s Star Wras. At the same time it is completely independent. Gentle, grand, lyrical, visionary. This is a score I would love to listen to in a planetarium.

Volker

A part of the liner notes in the LLL album of Star Trek: TMP is the discussion of how it shows a transition from the modernist to the romantic in Goldsmith's career. I think that's an interesting point to explore deeper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    christopher wrote
    3. LADIES IN LAVENDER - Nigel Hess

This is just a outrageously beautiful album. The themes are so gorgeous, the solo violin, courtesy of Joshua Bell, is so good in this score. And while Nigel Hess's music only lasts 32 minutes, there's not a superfluous minute in there, and the album is padded with newly recorded pieces of romantic classics. Joshua Bell on Massanet's Meditation is particularly wonderful. It is the best recording of that piece I've ever heard. All around, this is a spectacular album, full of exactly the kind of music I love best.

A lovely album that I have.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES. This is my #2 choice. One that I return to on a very regular basis.
    Tom
  6. What's the best edition here? I haven't heard this score yet, but I don't know what's the best selection and I know that in case of Golden Age that's a very relevant aspect.

If it's possible to find it on Spotify, even better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It is relevant indeed. Other album incarnations of THE BIG COUNTRY would likely not have made my top 50 despite it being one of my all time favourite scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2013 edited
    THE BIG COUNTRY is bloody brilliant! Not only one of the best western scores of all time, but one of the true classics regardless of genre. I've enjoyed the Bremner rerecording quite a lot over the years. So sparkling and vivacious and "open"!

My choice for the spot:

4. EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (Danny Elfman)

I have a VERY close relationship to this, not only personally in terms of listening pleasure, but also because I analyzed the score in one of my thesis chapters (in a film context). So I'm very intimate with it. It's also one of Elfman's own personal favourites. The word 'magical' is overused, but fits like a glove here. Chimes, celeste, choral bliss, melancholy, sweetness vs. gothic beauty....it has almost everything I love about Elfman and film music in general. To my knowledge, there is only one album of this (the original MCA) and it's a marvel from start to finish.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Now to my number two, though it comes about, because I listened to it today and all these emotions came through.

James Newton Howard - Snow Falling on Cedars

I've known the score for ages, but it became very personal when I actually bought very cheaply the CD off an Amazon seller (it was OOP for quite a while already).

I've had a fascination for Japanese culture for a while now. While it wasn't specifically the reason, of course, it was this fascination which led me to start talking to this forum's Miya on my own (she's working quite hard right now, on a couple of things, she's fine for those concerned), which ended up with my closest friendships, at this point resorting to online contacts, but still.

Howard's score, written for a combination of courtroom drama and a crime thriller is an interesting approach. The court case at heart of the story leads to an exploration of the difficult past of Japanese immigrants in the country. It is widely known, of course, that the Japanese Americans were mistreated after Pearl Harbor and even after the war (as the film shows, I have NOT read the novel yet) the relationships were full of mutual distrust (the Japanese having strong memories of the internment, the community having strong memories of the surprise attacks and of course treatment of POWs, war crimes, etc.). What James Newton Howard does with the story is interesting, because it is a metaphysical companion to the story, which, save for the extensive use of flashbacks (Ishmael's relationship with Hatsue before the internment, His father's disdain and publicly voiced protest against the internment, Carl's death and the events surrounding it), is quite straightforward.

The metaphysical approach could be properly called a religious one. It's by no accident that the most heavily referenced composer is the, as literature suggests, "religious minimalist" Arvo Part. While Japanese ethnic instruments (most notably a shakuhachi) are extensively-though-carefully used, the Christian musical elements actually underscore something very important for the Far Eastern spirituality. The choral outbursts (except The Evacuation and the Tarawa flashbacks) mostly represent scenes featuring nature. The sense of awe and spiritual connection to nature is a very important element of the Japanese culture and Howard builds the bridge by using Christian elements to underscore that aspect. With help of Robert Richardson's exquisite cinematography, James Newton Howard's score gives the movie a very magical, if dark, atmosphere. While the emotional outbursts like Evacuation and Tarawa are firmly there, the score is another exercise in restraint, not really crossing a certain line unless necessary (be it the aforementioned sequences or the dramatic courtroom moments like Susan Marie Remembers or Humanity Goes on Trial). This beautiful restraint shows up in my favourite cue and one of the most moving for me on also a personal level.

The reason why Ishmael is interested in the case is not just being a journalist and Carl's death being a big thing for the town's community. The defendant's wife was his former lover and it's a feeling that he never fully got over. So when at the end, there is a lot of unresolved issues before the two. Howard and the scene start slowly to the point where Hatsue asks him, as per the cue's title: "Can I hold you now?". The resolution of this hug, putting an end to their past and the present, combining emotions that have been hidden for years... it's just a simple musical crescendo for Howard and not really dramatically overdoing it. It still comes from everything that was written before it, it's a definite part of the previously carefully created soundscape. It's just the right way to end it.

I love when a story ends with an emotional outburst. I love it when the resolution is not overdone, but just sets everyone free in terms of intensity. An exercise in restraint leading to just letting go at the end... it's my favourite way of scoring a film. Knowing that the viewer, the director, the composer, everyone... earned this.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2013 edited
    I think I´ll go with Eleni Karaindrou - Mia Aioniotita Kai Mia Mera...

I can still remember I really needed something new, something that could offer me a sense of timeless spaces, of melancholy, of discomfort, of joy... Zbigniew Preisner was one of those composers who offered me such ingredients. So, over the years I managed to collect a few dozen of albums, written by a select few composers who all evoked similar emotions, and whom could easily replace my choice here. I think Eleni Karaindrou was the very last to become part of this select group.

The music itself consist of array of moods from joy against sorrow, plaintive ambience against clear and simple melodies.... Deeply moving.

This is an album I need to experience in quiet place with nothing else around, no light, no other sounds, alone... Completely absorbing every bit of melancholy this album has to offer. Every time I listen to this album it makes me think about things I would rather not think about. Things I have or haven´t done. Things I could never solve, things that sadden me, complicated things really. It can be about my life, or something like poetry, philosophy, world events. So in that sense choosing this album is rather a contradictio in terminis. Why on earth would you like listening to something so much if you can never just simply enjoy it and not reflect heavily on a variety of things?

I feel very much like the main character of the film, but the difference is that his search for meaning comes to a satisfying end. Instead, I just keep on going, not knowing when to let things go and accept them, reconcile and all other imaginable things of a similar nature.
  8. Pleasure to see you posting as always, Joep. I don't know that specific Karaindrou, but her music always has a special, desolate and lonely quality to it. I can more than understand why music that shows up absences in your life would be a favourite. Another album I was sorely tempted to post about here does much the same to me.

Interesting thoughts on Snow Falling, Pawel. I'm not sure the Arvo Part brings specific Christian overtones to the tale except in the ear of specific beholders. (Those who know a bit about Arvo Part's personal journey.) But then subjectivity is the key to this thread.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. Joep, your #1 choice is one I've never even heard of! I shall have to look into it.

4. UN HOMME ET SON CHIEN - PHILIPPE ROMBI

Another gorgeous score. The theme is so lovely, and the additional themes are wonderful as well. It's a little repetitive, but it's a repetition I don't mind at all. I don't have much more to say about this album, I just think it's a very strong one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2013
    Karaindrou's masterpiece is still Angelopoulous' ETERNITY AND A DAY, IMO, but that may be coloured by the fact that I love the film so much.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. franz_conrad wrote
    Pleasure to see you posting as always, Joep. I don't know that specific Karaindrou, but her music always has a special, desolate and lonely quality to it. I can more than understand why music that shows up absences in your life would be a favourite. Another album I was sorely tempted to post about here does much the same to me.

Interesting thoughts on Snow Falling, Pawel. I'm not sure the Arvo Part brings specific Christian overtones to the tale except in the ear of specific beholders. (Those who know a bit about Arvo Part's personal journey.) But then subjectivity is the key to this thread.

While Part has clear Eastern Orthodox influences to its music (I was once toying with writing something Byzantine and wondered how does it sound. After listening to a Kontakion compilation I was quite surprised to hear how close it is harmonically to the work of Part), I think the real deal with the Christian overtones is actually the choral writing. In Tarawa they seem to actually sing some sort of a prayer, while I can't yet recognize specific words, the choral lyrics are in Latin for sure.
  11. Thor wrote
    Karaindrou's masterpiece is still Angelopoulous' ETERNITY AND A DAY, IMO, but that may be coloured by the fact that I love the film so much.
    Thor wrote
    Thor wrote

And that is in fact the film he's talking about. wink
    Personally I'm a Ulysses Gaze guy.
  12. PawelStroinski wrote
    While Part has clear Eastern Orthodox influences to its music (I was once toying with writing something Byzantine and wondered how does it sound. After listening to a Kontakion compilation I was quite surprised to hear how close it is harmonically to the work of Part), I think the real deal with the Christian overtones is actually the choral writing. In Tarawa they seem to actually sing some sort of a prayer, while I can't yet recognize specific words, the choral lyrics are in Latin for sure.

Interesting. Probably a bit indirect to reach the audience (especially given everything else going on in that scene).
  13. I'll give it a listen in some time, but I kinda recall "ora pro nobis" being sung in the cue, then it would harken at a litany, actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014 edited
    THE ROAD TO PERDITION/NEWMAN. This is one that I listen to on a regular basis and I always seem to hear things that I've not heard before. "Rain Hammers" is a track that is one of my favorites. This would be #3 on my list.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2014
    Hey, Timmer:

I'm happy to report that I have determined my favorite 50 albums.
    Yet, I'm still unhappy about the number of soundtracks I've ruled out of the top 50.

Hope to post #1 later on Jan 8th ... smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2014
    I look forward to it......and your choices.

I hadn't forgotten this thread, my number 5 is up tomorrow.
  14. sdtom wrote
    THE ROAD TO PERDITION/NEWMAN. This is one that I listen to on a regular basis and I always seem to hear things that I've not heard before. "Rain Hammers" is a track that is one of my favorites. This would be #3 on my list.
    Tom

A great choice. 'Ghosts' is mine from that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014
    My favorite soundtrack album is actually my 5th favorite film score (thus far).

As a prelude, here's my faves for which there's no soundtrack albums:

1. FIGURES IN A LANDSCAPE (1970) by Richard Rodney Bennett (no soundtrack album)
    2. WOMAN IN THE DUNES (1964) by Toru Takemitsu (no satisfying presentation on disc, although suites do exist on compilation albums which are culled from the film's actual sound).
    3. HOUR OF THE WOLF (1967) by Lars Johan Werle (no soundtrack album)
    4. THE REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD (1975) by Jerry Goldsmith (no legitimate album, though boots exist).

... and now onto my favorite album ... which is ...

THE ILLUSTRATED MAN (1969) by Jerry Goldsmith, on FSM CD.

Goldsmith had a significant length of time to write and record his music for this anthology of Ray Bradbury stories, and I think the resultant music demonstrates the thought and innovation Goldsmith placed into this score.

THE ILLUSTRATED MAN is a superb specimen of both Goldsmith's lyricism and dodecaphonic facets.
    Appreciation for this one will fluctuate based upon a listener's experience with contemporary classical music.
    If one is familiar with the various 'movements' which occured after WW II in "art" music, then the serialism should be easier to intake. But there's much more to THE ILLUSTRATED MAN than only these 2 aspects.
    There's the electronic (Moog) experiments, and Goldsmith's typical Theme & Variations approach to the basically mono-thematic (4-note) material. It's almost as if Goldsmith had incorporated all the academic trends which had transpired in absolute music during the 3rd quarter of the 20th century as of the time he was writing it. There's even indications of Goldsmith's own brand on minimalism, ... but that's just my take on it - nothing formal.

By the way, Timmer, my criteria is rather different from yours. For me, a soundtrack that possessess a certain level of complexity which mezmerizes me to revisit it often for repeated listens in order to 'crack the code' is my main criteria for nominating favorites. And THE ILLUSTRATED MAN is the one which affects me the most as a listener.
  15. Cobweb, I don't know who you are, but you have taste, and a great deal of it.