• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Before Mahler's.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2014
    Cobweb wrote
    Thor wrote
    Hey Cobweb, slow down! We can't stay AHEAD of topic starter Timmer. Once he's posted his 8th, we can do so too. Them's the unwritten rules, right?

Oh - those unwritten rules. If they're not written down, then we can't read them.

I'll stop posting for now, but I'm still ahead of Timmer because my 50 are already determined and Timmer is just making all this stuff up as he chugs along. smile

Not quite. The next 5 are already determined. After that however..... wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2014
    pssst, Timmer - it's now February!

Are you depositing only 7 titles out of your 50 per month? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I am dragging it out a bit aren't I? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    # 8 coming on Monday. ...or tomorrow if I have time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    # 8 coming on Monday. ...or tomorrow if I have time.

Will it see its shadow along with the groundhog on Feb 2?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Could be?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Could be?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Could be?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Could...

:coat:>>>
  2. Timmer wrote
    I am dragging it out a bit aren't I? wink

Indeed you do. So hurry up, will you? spider

smile Volker

(I just returned from a fantastic film music concert on which I will report tomorrow.)
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Well? cow
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2014
    Well indeed!

# 8 THE FINAL CONFLICT - JERRY GOLDSMITH

A score I bought 3 times, on LP ( an experience that at one time looked like it might never happen, it was released a number of years after the film had been released ), on CD and finally on the Varese deluxe edition with massively improved sound.

As much as I love the two earlier scores ( and I love them a lot ) it's this epic score I return to time and again, Jerry's score elevates a pretty poor film into greater heights, an apocalyptic main theme to die for, fabulous Ravel influenced religious motif for Christ's second coming, the awesomely exhilarating Fox Hunt cue and those epic end titles worthy of any biblical epic, this is how you score a film for choir brought to you by an absolute master, Jerry Goldsmith.

I love this album from beginning to end. Brilliance!
  4. I never saw that film. Some weeks ago searched YouTube for the film's finale, to hear that gripping finale in context. I didn't find it . sad

My # 8:

Navstevnici (Czech title)
    Die Besucher(Germany West title)
    Expedition Adam 84 (Germany East title)

"The Visitors" were a tv series co-produced by Szechosolvacia and both German states in the early 80ies. It was a scifi show for children that took advantage of the science fiction hype of that time. The score was done by the then well known composer Karel Svoboda. This score was one of the first to draw my intense attantion. I taped the title melody from the tv speakers as I did with many melodies back then. Little did I know that an LP of the score had actually been released. Later I never expected that score to be released on CD.
    Out of the blue the score got a national release in the Szech Republic in 2004. I discovered it by pure chance while google-ing the original name of the show. It was just impossible to order that CD from Germany. No English or German speaking vendor to be found there, no German vendor would sell it. It was so frustrating. But an onkle of mine would know sombody who knew somebody with business connections to the Szech Republic and I finally eneded up with the CD in my hand. What a marvel! I made a copy of that CD the first day and never touched the original one again. biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuW78NcAKWo

(Copy of an older post.)

Volker
  5. Is that where Szechuan Chicken comes from, the Szech Republic?

wink
  6. Yes, very tasty! cheesy shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2014
    THE FINAL CONFLICT is brilliant -- one of my favourite Goldsmith scores and by far my favourite of the OMEN trilogy. It's so lush and fullbodied for a "horror" score, with some amazing setpieces.

My pick:

8. ALIEN 3 (Elliot Goldenthal)

His magnum opus, IMO. Even the dissonant material is done with such detail and interest in the textures that I'm never put off. Then there's the almost religioso stuff, the hurting melancholy and mythic scope of other tracks. The album is arranged like a symphony, with a very definite build towards those cascading strings in the climax. Bliss!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    ( an experience that at one time looked like it might never happen, it was released a number of years after the film had been released )

Yes, I remember that as well, Timmer.

I had gotten the Varese Sarabande LP in 1986, when Robert Townson initiated Varese's film music masters series.

The liner notes within the CD version indicate that Goldsmith recorded THE FINAL CONFLICT in September of 1981 [which obviously should have read September of 1980 since the movie itself premiered in March (I think) of '81].

As much as I like THE FINAL CONFLICT, I prefer THE OMEN the most.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Captain Future wrote
    "The Visitors" were a tv series co-produced by Szechosolvacia and both German states in the early 80ies. It was a scifi show for children that took advantage of the science fiction hype of that time. The score was done by the then well known composer Karel Svoboda.

Very nice input, Captain Future.

I'm interested to read about personal favorites such as the one you've mention above, especially when non-Hollywood films & TV are involved. There's such a large amount of programs out there which touches a specific segment of a country and/or a generation and doesn't receive international distribution.

I've never encountered Karel Svoboda before, and can only wonder about the number of composers whose existence is obscured due to lack of significant exposue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    Well indeed!

So ... now, Timmer ... it's time for Tristram Cary. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2014 edited
    Cobweb wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    "The Visitors" were a tv series co-produced by Szechosolvacia and both German states in the early 80ies. It was a scifi show for children that took advantage of the science fiction hype of that time. The score was done by the then well known composer Karel Svoboda.

I'm interested to read about personal favorites such as the one you've mention above, especially when non-Hollywood films & TV are involved. There's such a large amount of programs out there which touches a specific segment of a country and/or a generation and doesn't receive international distribution.

I've never encountered Karel Svoboda before, and can only wonder about the number of composers whose existence is obscured due to lack of significant exposue.

Svoboda is actually a familiar name to me and most Norwegians, because back when Norway used to have only one tv channel (pre-1992), we imported many children's series from old Czechoslovakia, and Sloboda wrote the music to many of these. I grew up with his music! Plus, the Czech adaptation of "Cinderella" is shown on Norwegian TV every Christmas (still!) which also includes his famous music.

Svoboda is the most famous Czech film composer that I can think of, even moreso than Luboš Fišer -- at least to me and many other Europeans.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    Cobweb wrote
    Captain Future wrote

... Plus, the Czech adaptation of "Cinderella" is shown on Norwegian TV every Christmas (still!) which also includes his famous music.

love beer

Same here in Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bptf3Zlqlgo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2014 edited
    Cobweb wrote
    So ... now, Timmer ... it's time for Tristram Cary. biggrin

Nothing wrong with a bit of Tristram Cary......though an album of his won't be featuring in my top 50 though if it had, the very worthy CHANDOS release would be closest. wink

Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ( an experience that at one time looked like it might never happen, it was released a number of years after the film had been released )

Yes, I remember that as well, Timmer.

I had gotten the Varese Sarabande LP in 1986, when Robert Townson initiated Varese's film music masters series.

The liner notes within the CD version indicate that Goldsmith recorded THE FINAL CONFLICT in September of 1981 [which obviously should have read September of 1980 since the movie itself premiered in March (I think) of '81].

The film has the strange honour of being the worst film I'd seen multiple times at the cinema, and all because of that score.

We were teased a few times over it's "release", a deluxe release of the score was announced by Southern Cross records, this looked promising seeing as they'd released the previously unavailable DRAGONSLAYER and BODY HEAT ( North's score in a double LP boxed set ) but again a deal fell through. When Varese announced it I remember thinking that I won't believe it until the LP is in my hands.

It's pretty much taken for granted now that near every cinema release will have a score release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2014
    Will we need to wait until March 3rd to read Timmer's 9th favorite? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2014
    haha....

# 9 ENNIO MORRICONE - THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY

Whether it's the original or expanded release I absolutely adore this score. The main titles with cannons, the awesomely descriptive The Desert, the Trio and, of course, the piece I think is the singular greatest piece of film music ever written, The Ecstasy of Gold. Those are the standouts but the whole album is great from beginning to end.

p.s. one of the earliest favourite tunes I can remember is Hugo Montenegro's cover version of the main titles which became a huge UK hit reaching # 1 in the pop charts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2014 edited
    You can't go wrong with THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, although my favourite of the Morricone spaghetti westerns still remains ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, I think.

My pick:

9. BLADE RUNNER (Vangelis)

Very close connection to this too, as I analyzed the score in my master thesis. It's one of the most interesting cases of 'sound melds' where the diegetic combines with the non-diegetic (both music and sound) to create this specific universe whose sole purpose is mood. It's a mood-driven film more than story-driven. The old Atlantic album is a superb concept album too, even though fans of the film score dislike it for including stuff that is not in the film and not including ALL of the music. But I love it -- absolute perfection!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2014
    Great choice Thor and one of my serious considerations in my top 50.
  8. Thor wrote
    You can't go wrong with THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, although my favourite of the Morricone spaghetti westerns still remains ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, I think.

My pick:

9. BLADE RUNNER (Vangelis)

Very close connection to this too, as I analyzed the score in my master thesis. It's one of the most interesting cases of 'sound melds' where the diegetic combines with the non-diegetic (both music and sound) to create this specific universe whose sole purpose is mood. It's a mood-driven film more than story-driven. The old Atlantic album is a superb concept album too, even though fans of the film score dislike it for including stuff that is not in the film and not including ALL of the music. But I love it -- absolute perfection!

Very strong score, and I agree with the analysis. (Although I don't quite agree that the sole purpose is mood. The scoring of the death of Tyrell or the climactic action sequence go beyond mood scoring to support the actions of the characters.)

It would certainly be in my top 10.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. #9:
    2010: Odyssey Two
    2010: They Year We Make Contact
    by David Shire

Somewhat incorporating the most famous temp track of all time:

2001: A Space Odyssey

There was a commercial relase of the Shire score once. I never was able to lay my hand on that album, so what I have in my colection is something I'm not to talk about here. wink
    I love 2010! I believe it it is the best sequel ever made and that includes a certain backstriking empire. "New Worlds" belongs to the most emtional pieces of film music I have ever encountert. In and out of context it makes me well up.

All these worlds are yours – except Europa. Attempt no landing there. Use them together. Use them in peace.

Once every year I use to see both films at one weekend. The apex of science fiction film.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2014
    It's a pretty decent film, I agree, but I prefer the recent EUROPA REPORT, which is a riff on the same basic concept. And obviously, all of it pales in comparison to 2001. Then again, most things do. Can't remember anything of the Shire score, to be honest.
    I am extremely serious.