• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014
    Thor wrote
    There it is, Timmer. I was wondering when it would pop up. I used up my STAR WARS quota with RETURN OF THE JEDI on second place -- IMO the superior score of the franchise -- and will not be including any other STAR WARS scores on my list, even though they're all brilliant.

We all have our favourites beer No more Star Wars scores will be turning up on my list either but we're in agreement that all of them are brilliant.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Well, as a young teenager the first piece I heard of the music was MECO's disco version that became a huge chart hit, I didn't have money to buy the soundtrack so ordered a lending copy from the central library ( so that I could tape it :stone-age: ), man I was so disappointed that it was nothing like MECO's single cheesy

Anyway, after seeing the film I totally fell in love with this score and saved all my pocket money to buy the double LP so it could join my very proud collection of about 15 soundtracks stacked next to the record player.

This could be a passage taken from my own yet-to-be-penned autobiography!

I remember getting this album first on cassette (I remember the green plastic of the cassette) and it was the first thing to be played on my mono cassette player that I also got that Christmas. I am not even sure if I was able to listen to this in any form of stereo (i.e., headphones). It didn't take long for the cassette to be worn down and I had to go looking for an LP version of the score (which I found on holiday that summer in a record shop on Skye!)

Alan, can you remember how much the LP cost? ( or cassette for that matter? ) I vaguely remember albums being relatively expensive in relation to peoples earnings etc, it certainly seemed to be by the time I had my first job.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My pick:

16. THE ROCK (Hans Zimmer et.al.)

What STAR WARS was to our generation of film music fans, so was THE ROCK to the generation who grew up in the 90s (I'm sorta inbetween the two myself now that I think about it). It's a landmark score and album, both in a commercial and aesthetic sense. I absolutely ADORE Zimmer's 'power anthems' of this period; between that and his take on ethnic soundscapes, it's as good as it gets. The extremely memorable main themes are scattered across the album, ranging from the miltaristic to the more popdriven to the slow and powerful. Just top notch all the way through!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. It's funny, but I put Return of the Jedi a distant third in the original trilogy scores. There are some first class tracks in that score ("Into The Trap", "Final Duel", "The Emperor's Death", "Darth Vader's Death", etc.) but my initial impressions from the early album listens I had include that there was too much straight borrowings from earlier film(s) - e.g., "Sail Barge Assault".

I'll always have Star Wars as being the top of the pile with this franchise - yes, part of it's very personal since this was THE score that got me seriously into film music, but this original score is full of great themes, great variety, action and emotion and (perhaps one of the important things for me) it's very "lean" in its orchestration. It just sounds fantastic.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's funny, but I put Return of the Jedi a distant third in the original trilogy scores. There are some first class tracks in that score ("Into The Trap", "Final Duel", "The Emperor's Death", "Darth Vader's Death", etc.) but my initial impressions from the early album listens I had include that there was too much straight borrowings from earlier film(s) - e.g., "Sail Barge Assault".

That's actually one of the reasons why it's one of my favourite albums -- it includes most of the thematic material from the previous films while having a great many fantastic setpieces on its own. The best of both worlds!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Well, as a young teenager the first piece I heard of the music was MECO's disco version that became a huge chart hit, I didn't have money to buy the soundtrack so ordered a lending copy from the central library ( so that I could tape it :stone-age: ), man I was so disappointed that it was nothing like MECO's single cheesy

Anyway, after seeing the film I totally fell in love with this score and saved all my pocket money to buy the double LP so it could join my very proud collection of about 15 soundtracks stacked next to the record player.

This could be a passage taken from my own yet-to-be-penned autobiography!

I remember getting this album first on cassette (I remember the green plastic of the cassette) and it was the first thing to be played on my mono cassette player that I also got that Christmas. I am not even sure if I was able to listen to this in any form of stereo (i.e., headphones). It didn't take long for the cassette to be worn down and I had to go looking for an LP version of the score (which I found on holiday that summer in a record shop on Skye!)

Alan, can you remember how much the LP cost? ( or cassette for that matter? ) I vaguely remember albums being relatively expensive in relation to peoples earnings etc, it certainly seemed to be by the time I had my first job.

I know that the cassette player was £19.99 wink

I am not sure about the LP to be honest - too many other albums bought between now and then!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's funny, but I put Return of the Jedi a distant third in the original trilogy scores. There are some first class tracks in that score ("Into The Trap", "Final Duel", "The Emperor's Death", "Darth Vader's Death", etc.) but my initial impressions from the early album listens I had include that there was too much straight borrowings from earlier film(s) - e.g., "Sail Barge Assault".

That's actually one of the reasons why it's one of my favourite albums -- it includes most of the thematic material from the previous films while having a great many fantastic setpieces on its own. The best of both worlds!

But I find too many reprises of the earlier films that seem to be just straight lifts from the earlier films - the mentioned track being a case in point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, I know....but I'm not really bothered with origins here. We're talking about ALBUMS; and so RETURN combines the best from previous films with some of the best setpieces that have been composed for the series.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes Alan, would you say "lean" also interprates as "breathes"? So many later, fully symphonic scores have many details lost in a giant wall of loudness.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I know that the cassette player was £19.99 wink

I think my cassette player was a bit cheaper ( maybe £15.99 ), as you well know it was a godsend complete with microphone for recording TV themes off the television wink

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am not sure about the LP to be honest - too many other albums bought between now and then!

The only price I can remember were the MFP releases which were about 99p - £1.25 but that was a very cheap label ( absolutely brilliant for classical music and Geoff Love's film theme albums )
  4. Timmer wrote
    Yes Alan, would you say "lean" also interprates as "breathes"? So many later, fully symphonic scores have many details lost in a giant wall of loudness.

Yes, I think that that's what it means (or at least includes). Even with the greatness that is The Empire Strikes Back, the original has a clarity that is wonderful - even in the action scoring.
  5. The action scoring of STAR WARS ...

I recently listend to Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" for the first time. An I thought: "What does that remind you of?" I did some research and found that others have come to that conclusion before. As always. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stravinsky's influence is particularly felt during the desert sequence with C3PO and R2D2 trekking the dunes.
  6. My no 16:

Hollywoods Greatest Hits Vol. I - Erich Kunzel

As I said before, compilations have been of great value in the beginning of my score collecting life. This compilation is simply fantastic in every way.

(The same goes for the Vol. 2 album which I am not going to mention because we are not doing any special mentions hereabouts any more.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    But there is nothing to stop Volume 2 being your number 17 or 18 or whatever.
  7. Yes there is. There is no way for me to determine a succession between these two. They are too similar.
  8. Well, since you already made Vol. 1 your no. 16, just make Vol. 2 your no. 16b and continue with 18 next time! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Exactly! Amd then in a wild upset guarantueed to drive Timmer insane, we'll fill in your number 17 FOR you then (Forbidden Planet, by the Berrons. Obviously).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Which would be quite fitting!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    uhm
  10. Remember this Tim?

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ … _7GN2g.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2014
    Remember it? I still HAVE it! (Of course).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Remember this Tim?

Yes, very well indeed. That's what you'd call a soundtrack extravaganza back in the days of no detailed liner notes.

shame <-nostalgia glow
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

cool

Mine disappeared years ago during a theft. I do still have the rare double LP of Empire Strikes Back though.
  11. Martijn wrote

I wish that I still had mine but I lost all the albums I'd kept to water damage a few years ago. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Remember this Tim?

Yes, very well indeed. That's what you'd call a soundtrack extravaganza back in the days of no detailed liner notes.

shame <-nostalgia glow

Though, I've just noticed on that photo, that I can't see the poster that came with the album.

http://www.soundtracksonvinyl.com/wp-co … liams3.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2014 edited
    I think I have one soundtrack LP, and that was when I accidentally got a vinyl of Goldsmith's LEGEND on ebay back in the late 90s while believing it was the Silva CD. I have a couple of other non-film music LPs -- all of them gifts from the early 90s -- but that's it. They're all stored in my dad's collection.

When I was becoming musically aware in the late 80s and early 90s, cassette was the rage and soon after that, the CD. I had plenty of cassettes, though, both original and self-taped.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I never bought any album on cassette. I only ever used blank cassettes to make compilations or record from albums I'd borrowed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I do still have the rare double LP of Empire Strikes Back though.

I have TWO!
    (Don't ask! There were days I bought everything Star Wars on sight. Redundant or no. shame <-not nostalgic...just embarrassed.)
  12. I had one Rock/Pop album on cassette that I got as a gift for my 11th birthday 1982. It was "Fehler im System / Error in the System" by Peter Schilling. He was a mega star in Germany back then and I was the king of the class whith that thing.
    Everything else was vinly. The LPs are stored away in my parent's attic. Not counting audio dramas from childhood days.

Volker