• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2014
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I do still have the rare double LP of Empire Strikes Back though.

I have TWO!
    (Don't ask! There were days I bought everything Star Wars on sight. Redundant or no. shame <-not nostalgic...just embarrassed.)

I think you were double the Star Wars fan that I was. wink

I went nutty for a little while, figures, model kits etc and even the Star Wars story disc so you could ( pre VHS/Beta ) re-live the film at home.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Peter Schilling

I remember Major Tom and that's it. ( as you'll know, nothing to do with David Bowie )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    ...even the Star Wars story disc so you could ( pre VHS/Beta ) re-live the film at home.

Ah. Yes.
    I have two... shame (one regular release and one with the R2-D2/C-3PO picture disk).
    I only have the one for Empire and Jedi, though.

...but mainly because they weren't issued in several different formats.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Do you have the rare and very valuable Revenge of The Jedi figure? ( I don't )
  1. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Peter Schilling

I remember Major Tom and that's it. ( as you'll know, nothing to do with David Bowie )

Yeah well, it was mostly Major Tom. He did a brilliant second LP - 120 Grad - after which I lost interest.
    Major Tom: It has everyhing to do with Bowie actually. It tells essentially the same story and was meant a a big hommage to Bowie. In terms of music of course both songs have nothing in common.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. I really liked those 'The Story of...' albums. So much so that I was known to transcribe the dialogue into a sort of screenplay for me and my friends to act out. We did record the first one onto cassette...at least we started to. But no one had as much enthusiasm for it as I did.

I rarely bought music on cassette.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, most of my cassettes were also taped (by myself or my dad or others), but quite a few originals too, all of them gifts. I can't remember actually BUYING one myself.

Sorry I can't share in your LP nostalgia discussion -- cassette is MY nostalgia! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Do you have the rare and very valuable Revenge of The Jedi figure? ( I don't )

I also can't remember which figure(s) it was? Only a handful were released before the geek-wars that made the producers back down from Jedi's getting all righteously vengeful. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    From score albums to nostalgia vinyl to Star Wars action figures. I like this thread! biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    (And no, I never owned a Revenge Of The Jedi card/action figure. Guess they were only ever distributed in the USA before being retracted. Not that I would have given tuppence: I've never been a "mint in box" kinda collector, so I would have ripped the action figure off whatever it said on front).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I've never been a "mint in box" kinda collector, so I would have ripped the action figure off whatever it said on front).

punk A man after my own heart.

except you buy TWO of everything....would you have ripped both out of the packaging? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2014
    #16: THE FOURTH MAN (1983) by Loek Dikker, on Varese Sarabande LP ('84).

After seeing this album sitting on record shelves for several years, I blind bought it around '86 never having seen the picture.

I immediately connected with the darkly seductive orchestral score for THE 4TH MAN and it's been a fave for decades.

When I finally watched THE 4TH MAN on DVD around 2001, I didn't like the film all.

This, I think, makes for an interesting topic because 1) how many favorite soundtracks do we own from movies we enjoy/appreciate? ... and contrast this with 2) how many favorite soundtracks do we own from movies we dislike?

Does anybody have favorite soundtracks within their Top 50 which are from flicks (s)he strongly dislikes?
    How many faves do we have from cinema which we have never seen?

...also...

How many of us can seperate our love of a film's music from our love of the film? Can one fully appreciate a soundtrack album if one dislikes the source it comes from?

Speaking for myself, I continue to appreciate Loek Dikker's intense and intoxicating music score even though I feel Paul Verhoeven's work on THE 4TH MAN is rather repugnant. Despite its 'art' house subject about an alcoholic author who experiences religious-themed hallucinations, THE 4TH MAN shirks no opportunity to lay on the gore and blood letting (as if its target audience is the grindhouse demographic).

Dikker's soundtrack album, though, should be better known. It's one of those short Varese LPs than has not (yet) been reissued into CD.

I think Varese should re-do this title as one of their CD Club offerings. If you are at all familiar with the heady & Dionysian concert music of Karol Szymanowski, then this should give you an idea of what Dikker's score is like (and can achieve).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I remember liking Dikker's score, I have it somewhere on a LP/CDR transfer, I must find it out again.

Of my choices so far, Ryuichi Sakamoto's LITTLE BUDDHA is the only album I own where I've not seen the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2014 edited
    THE FOURTH MAN is an excellent film (absolutely gorgeous photography, btw), although I can't remember much of the score off the top of my head. I met Dikker two years ago, during a film music conference in Trondheim, Norway. He did talk a bit about his work on that Verhoeven film during a lecture he did (which was rather boring, to be honest).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    My list so far from 1 - 15

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    THE THING - Morricone
    WALKING WITH DINOSAURS / WALKING WITH BEASTS - Bartlett

I recall you describing THE FINAL CONFLICT as a bad movie, Timmer.

Are there any other 'less-than-good' movies from your top 15?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    Of my choices so far, Ryuichi Sakamoto's LITTLE BUDDHA is the only album I own where I've not seen the film.

What about choices #17 through 50? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Thor wrote
    I met Dikker two years ago, during a film music conference in Trondheim, Norway. He did talk a bit about his work on that Verhoeven film during a lecture he did (which was rather boring, to be honest).

Does Loek Dikker speak Norwegian? Or was the lecture in English?

Nice to hear that Dikker remains in the field.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2014
    No, he spoke English with a heavy Dutch accent.

I'm not sure what he's doing these days, if anything.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

What about choices #17 through 50? biggrin

Yeap! Both bad movies and unseen movies in weeks to come.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote
    My list so far from 1 - 15

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    THE THING - Morricone
    WALKING WITH DINOSAURS / WALKING WITH BEASTS - Bartlett

I recall you describing THE FINAL CONFLICT as a bad movie, Timmer.

Are there any other 'less-than-good' movies from your top 15?

I don't think I would have called The Final Conflict a bad movie but it certainly isn't great, on the plus side, besides the sublime score, it does have a great and convincing lead in Sam Neill and the cinematography is great too.

Of the others in my list I think we all know there are many detractors from Conan and even more from Krull but I like them both despite the cheese.

Not for nothing did many critics of the time dub Star Trek 'The Motionless Picture', personally I think the film is underrated and thank the gods for the slow pace which allowed JG to craft one of the true masterpieces of film scoring.

Legrand's score is too good for The Thomas Crown Affair. I think the Peirce Brosnan remake is better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014
    My 17th choice will have to wait a few days. I feel dreadful with flu-ness and it's an effort just to wright a few sentences.
  3. #2 The Dancer Upstairs (Alberto Iglesias)

Sometime in 2003, I met up with a fellow film score fan in Sydney. Alex was his name. At the time all I could talk about was how many motifs Shore's LOTR scores had. (Sigh, oh to be young again.) He wasn't so interested in that, and despite my trying to show him he was wrong (because that's what you do when you share interests with someone -- you find something to disagree about!), he did plant a seed that day that ended up trumping Shore's trilogy in my estimation.

Alex was a Yared fan, but more a fan of his European scores prior to Minghella pulling him into the heights of Hollywood. But he had a new favourite composer who had overtaken Yared -- in his opinion, doing the Yared thing better than Yared. Alberto Iglesias. And his best work was The Dancer Upstairs, in Alex's opinion.

Now I knew that film. I'd seen it. A thriller about a hunt for a terrorist in a Latin American country, it was John Malkovitch's first film as director, and the first time I really became aware of Javier Bardem (in a beautiful performance, long before he was asked to trot out variations on Chigurh). But Iglesias's score hadn't really leapt out at me. I remembered the Nina Simone song that opens and closes the film. I preferred Iglesias's score for Talk to Her at the time, one of those film score albums that worked quite well as a crossover album away from the film.

But the seed was planted. I never saw Alex again, but I sought it out, paid good money, bought it on faith, and started listening. Dark, chamber orchestral ruminations with something of a jazz flavour to it. It didn't start out as a favourite. But it grew on me. Two years later, my second and third films were temp'd with it, and on the third no composer could get close enough to Iglesias's sound to displace it. (Which ended up costing me quite a bit of money.)

I'll give a brief overview of the score. What strikes me most about it is the sad melodic beauty lost amidst the threat, and the beauty of the threat. This really is a score with an exquisite sense of unease to it. The accordion pasito of the opening that gives away to stark strings, and returns with the journey to the mountains. The piano-and-cor-anglais duets of 'Conversations' and 'Theatre'. That seeringly sad theme, heard in the three 'Dancer Upstairs' tracks. The strange and subtle tension of 'Calle Diderot', with its meandering piano, and the very unsubtle chill and violence of 'Chinese Embassy'. I love every moment of this bleak, faded romance. It captures the themes of romanticism turned sour and ubiquitous corruption better than any other score could have.

Bravo Iglesias, you've done good work otherwise, but this is your masterpiece. And I believe I'm pretty much the only person who actually likes this one (of the 10 people who've heard it).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2014
    2? TWO?!?!?! What tempo have you set up, franz?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I think about these things. Number 3 coming in October. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    smile

I've never cared much for Iglesias myself, but I have a fond memory of bumping into him outside a pub in Ghent, both of us in a drunken stupor, for some non-sensical dialogue.

Actually, I do have WE'RE SO EXCITED in my collection, come to think of it. It's not bad.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Actually I've not heard that one, but his Almodovar scores generally are the most entertaining. I think with DANCER UPSTAIRS I have never quite separated the music from the narrative it represents. Each enriches the other.

TALK TO HER is the most pleasant of the albums overall. SEX AND LUCIA would also be worth checking out if you haven't heard it. Sweet, but also with some nice ambient stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    At the time all I could talk about was how many motifs Shore's LOTR scores had. (Sigh, oh to be young again.)

Careful what you write, it may ignite some peoples memories and I certainly remember you seemed obsessed around the time of LOTR release ( I'm thinking back to Peter Kelly's long-gone board ) wink

I really should give The Dancer Upstairs another listen, I remember liking it a lot, resonant and textural and quite dark. Sometimes it takes a prompt to re-listen, with so many releases year after year it's easy to forget to return to something you liked? I used to keep a notebook, I should do that again to help me keep on top.
  6. Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    At the time all I could talk about was how many motifs Shore's LOTR scores had. (Sigh, oh to be young again.)

Careful what you write, it may ignite some peoples memories and I certainly remember you seemed obsessed around the time of LOTR release ( I'm thinking back to Peter Kelly's long-gone board ) wink p.

I hide nothing (although thankfully I don't have to, given that board disappeared). Who among us never held a view they're now embarrassed by? All part of growing up. smile It wasn't long before that I said that I found Hitchcock boring and didnt have much time for black and white films. Sigh. (Oh to be young again.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2014
    biggrin

It gets worse when you see an embarrassing comment you made 10 years ago and realise you were'nt young even then and can't use age as an excuse. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    My 17th choice will have to wait a few days. I feel dreadful with flu-ness and it's an effort just to wright a few sentences.

Starting to feel a lot better. I'll probably do # 17 tomorrow.

wriGHT rolleyes ...oh the joys of a fucked up infected head