• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2014
    What's 2 & 3?

no smart alec 5 wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. No heroics?

What about Eroica, the 9th, Nabucco, Ring des Nibelungen, Mahler's 1st&2nd, Ouverture 1812, etc etc pp ... ?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    What's 2 & 3?

If you're interested, 2nd is JAWS and 3rd is JANE EYRE.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Wonderful choices!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Well, Steven, some people do like challenging, atonal music. There are people who actually don't like the melodic/harmonious (at least harmonious, not just tonal!) music, thinking it's quite pedestrian. As much as I like avant-garde, I think the best thing that can happen is a very careful combination of both smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Captain Future wrote
    No heroics?

What about Eroica, the 9th, Nabucco, Ring des Nibelungen, Mahler's 1st&2nd, Ouverture 1812, etc etc pp ... ?

None of them are in my music collection. No Beethoven nor Tchaikovsky warhorses ... no Wagner ... etc.

With me, my interests begin around WW I (after the death of Mahler). My favorite composers have been listed within the TalkClassical website. I could post 'em over here @ MT someday, if anyone's interested.
  3. That'd be very interesting to read, or at least, if you could provide a link.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like atonal music too. It's great stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2014 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    There are people who actually don't like the melodic/harmonious (at least harmonious, not just tonal!) music, thinking it's quite pedestrian.

Generally that's the same kind of people who deride a sunset for not being proper art.
    One can only live in hope that at some point in time they consider breathing terribly passé.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. For me, as Williams goes, the triple act of War of the Worlds, Munich and Memoirs of a Geisha is a pretty good year. (And there's a Star Wars score there too, although there's a bit more rehash in there.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Cobweb wrote
    Ah - but I write subjectively. 1977 would not be the greatest year if one dislikes STAR WARS as I do.
    I dislike heroic marches. No C Major/D Major music for my ears! wink

Variety is the spice of life. smile

Just keep muttering that to yourself...it'll all be OK...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2014
    Cobweb wrote
    1977 would not be the greatest year if one dislikes STAR WARS as I do.

You are in good company. The great Freddie Mercury was another who didn't like Star Wars, Jaws wasn't his scene either but he did like to ride his bicycle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He's allowed to dislike Star Wars (or was). He's Freddie Mercury.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Cobweb wrote
    1977 would not be the greatest year if one dislikes STAR WARS as I do.

You are in good company. The great Freddie Mercury was another who didn't like Star Wars, Jaws wasn't his scene either but he did like to ride his bicycle.

So you're saying that his scene was Boy on a Bicycle? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    PawelStroinski wrote
    That'd be very interesting to read, or at least, if you could provide a link.

Yes, it's listed on page #8 of this TC thread:

http://www.talkclassical.com/21414-my-1 … ers-8.html

My TC user name is Prodromides and my entry is post #115.

There's lots of interesting threads over @ TalkClassical. Another treasured TC thread is one asking members for their 100 favorite albums (these listings/rankings took me months to compile smile )
  7. Since by a quick look, I haven't seen that name, what do you think of John Williams' concert work, which is more challenging than his film scores for sure?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    That'd be very interesting to read, or at least, if you could provide a link.

Yes, it's listed on page #8 of this TC thread:

http://www.talkclassical.com/21414-my-1 … ers-8.html

My TC user name is Prodromides and my entry is post #115.

There's lots of interesting threads over @ TalkClassical. Another treasured TC thread is one asking members for their 100 favorite albums (these listings/rankings took me months to compile smile )

A very interesting list. At least a third of those I've either never heard of or have heard of but never heard their music.

No David Bedford on your list?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Since by a quick look, I haven't seen that name, what do you think of John Williams' concert work, which is more challenging than his film scores for sure?

I wouldn't know, actually.
    Never purchased any album of concert works by John Williams, but I heard his bassoon concerto in YouTube.
    From what little I heard, it doesn't sound challenging compared to works by Harrison Birtwistle or other contemporaries.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote

There's no David Bedford on my favorites lists, but I do have a few CDs of his music.
    I first heard his music in one of his scores for HAMMER HOUSE OF HORROR TV program.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2014
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

There's no David Bedford on my favorites lists, but I do have a few CDs of his music.
    I first heard his music in one of his scores for HAMMER HOUSE OF HORROR TV program.

Indeed he did. His forays into film and TV are very minimal. Film wise I think his only two credits are THE KILLING FIELDS ( mostly Mike Oldfield's score ) and choral direction on Morricone's THE MISSION.
  8. Taking a sabbatical this week. are you Timmer?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014
    Nope! Just a bit busy. Hopefully I'll get # 25 up later today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014 edited
    STARSHIP TROOPERS -- brilliant, melodic action score. The segue from the opening news theme to the action cue gives me the chill ever time.

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD -- will appear on my own list eventually, and I'll get back to my views then.

As for IMAGES, that is a remarkable score. It doesn't feature on my list, but it's one I've analyzed (esp. in context) for years. It's one of those albums that are more fascinating than emotionally involving (for the most part).

However, Williams has quite often visited the same territory -- either in film or tv music (LOST IN SPACE, for example or individual tracks like "The Abduction of Barry" or "The Sand People" etc.). There's also plenty of it in his concert music. 60s and 70s works like the wind sinfonietta, A Nostalgic Jazz Odyssey, the flute concerto or a more recent work like the duo concertante for violin and viola are things to get totally lost in. Pure avantgarde.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My pick:

24. L'APOCALYPSE DES ANIMAUX (Vangelis)

Although I had known the gorgeous "La Petite Fille de la Mer" for years (on the THEMES compilation), I was totally taken aback when I got the whole (digital) score album just a couple of years ago -- especially the haunting, melancholic, religious "Mort de Loup". The textures Vangelis weave in this are right up my "recent alley" -- textural, but also melodic and beautiful. I've played it dozens of times since, and will continue to do so. What a discovery! And what an embarassment that I didn't know the whole thing earlier, especially because I like to call myself a Vangelis fan. shame
    I am extremely serious.
  9. We are so in resonance here! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, as previously noted, we have scarily similar taste in music, Volker.

It's only in our idea of and approach to soundtracks as a concept that we're miles apart.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014
    Good choice for # 24 Thor beer

Still busy. Will put # 25 up tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's dusty....

# 25 GRAEME REVELL - RED PLANET

I'm not a big fan of Graeme Revell's music but this album just presses all my buttons, its a great mixture of rock, electronica and symphonic music that makes for an otherworldly yet exotic and sensuous listen. I love the collaborations on this album, particularly those with Emma Shapplin and Melissa Kaplan, plus the tracks by Peter Gabriel and The Police are welcome too.

I love this album and it transcends just being a film score album, one of my favourite 'chill out' albums, I've lost myself in this one many times.
  10. Well, I much prefer Morricone's Mission to Mars ...

No 25:
    Captain Future by Christian Bruhn

It will come to the surprise of nobody that I loved that anime scifi series around 1980. Individual scores have been commissioned for national distributions of the series. I know of the original Japanese score, a US score and of course the German one. The latter has gained some recognition beyond the borders of the German speaking World.

Bruhn created an electronica, disco-pop driven score, that breathes heroism and adventure. One of the few CDs of which I have two copies in different places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ8H2csE9bU

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, I much prefer Morricone's Mission to Mars ...

The only thing they have in common is MARS.

I adore Morricone's Mission To Mars score but there's one or two bits where it doesn't fit my own criteria I set out at the beginning of this thread. It was one of the scores I gave serious thought and contemplation to. I'll be giving a summation of great scores and why they didn't make it once we get to 50.