• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. sdtom wrote
    I much prefer the Tribute Film Classics 1006, the one that John Morgan reconstructed if you're looking for the Prince and the Pauper music. I have the Varese release as well as the 6CD set of Delerue which is an original I believe. Nice selection. Maybe there is still a bit of hope for Golden Scores.
    Tom

The only thing that I never liked about this compilation is its title as there is only about 2 minutes of actual music from "The Prince and the Pauper". I own the Tribute recording of the score too, Korngold fanboy, that I am. smile It is outstanding!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2014 edited
    #29: IL DEMONIO (1963) by Piero Piccioni, on Beat Records CD (2013).

My 4th favorite Piccioni score as well as my 3rd favorite Piccioni soundtrack album, IL DEMONIO is the most recent release on my Top 50 list (it was issued May of last year - around 50 years after the film itself).
    This is also the final appearance of Piccioni on my Top 50 (but there're more Piccioni albums which I've left off my Top 50 simply because there is no more room for them).

Since I wrote a very detailed post on this album @ FSM, I won't re-do it here and provide a link instead ...

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2014
    Volker do you have the classical pieces that Korngold wrote?
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Well, I do not have "Die tote Stadt" because I am not that much into opera. I do like to watch an opera in the theatre or if broadcasted on TV from time to time but I do not buy opera on CD.

What I do have of Konrgold's classical pieces is his violin concerto:
    http://www.amazon.de/Esprit-Violinkonze … linkonzert

And a collection of his symphonic works:

http://www.amazon.com/Orchestral-Works- … B0000061JA

This awesome set has gone out of print, so I urge everyone interested to get those last copies at amazon.com.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2014
    Looks like a good set Volker
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2014 edited
    Some JB, yes, that one...

# 30 JOHN BARRY - READY WHEN YOU ARE, J.B.

The first but not the last compilation album choice of mine. I first bought this on LP back in the mid-70's and oh what a joy it was to discover this, not just straight covers of existing hits but totally different and superbly arranged tracks from the likes of the theme to MIDNIGHT COWBOY including one of the most chilled and laid back tracks ever, Fun City which is also from the same film and a scintillating version of the theme from ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, a superbly condensed theme to DEADFALL but best of all were the tracks that were never before available such as WHO WILL BUY MY YESTERDAYS, a track from OHMSS that never appeared on the soundtrack album and given a full treatment by John Barry here, as if that wasn't enough there's the gloriously unique THE MORE THINGS CHANGE, nobody, including the Barry experts, know the exact origins of this tune but it's not unlikely that this was an unused theme for OHMSS.

Just check out this jazzy version of THE LION IN WINTER from the album. Dig that funky jazz organ daddy-O! punk

The LP was released on CD in 1998 but the album is difficult to get hold of now, at least at a decent price anyway. An excellent album from beginning to end that never outstays a welcome, just brilliant! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2014 edited
    There was another version of THE LION IN WINTER that I suspect was going to be released on the album but came out as the B-side to a 45rpm single, it's a wonderfully sleazy and sinister track, very very evocative...

THE LION IN WINTER part 2

cool

I don't know if you still look in on this thread Martijn, but it sounds like Jimmy Smith does John Barry.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Do Androids dream of electric sheep?

No 30:

BLADE RUNNER (1982) - Vangelis

Do you like electronic music? I love it, I even own two hardware synthesizers to fool around with. Do you remember those "Best of Synthesizer" compilations back from the 90s? They were great for learning about names and titles, but they sounded dreadful. Thus originated a Golden Rule: When it comes to electronic music there is no substitute for the original recording.

Then along came Edgar Rothermich.

The score album for BLADE RUNNER was a thing long in the making. There was a bootleg, that can say nothing about. In 1994 a legitimate album finally got released. There are passages of dialogue mixted into the music. While I'm no fan of dialogue in score albums it did not bother me too much in this case. The cuese on the album are not always those you hear in the film. Vangelis often uses different versions of his music for the film and for the album respectively. All in all I was fine with that album.

In 2007 a three CD set was released, CD 1 containing the 1994 album, CD 2 featuring additional music from the film and music recorded back then but not used in the film. CD 3 features new recordings insoured by the film. I love this third CD. It is crimminally underrated and overlooked. Vangelis manages to recreate the mood of the original recordings, effectively delivering the score for a BR sequel that never was.

In 2012 BSX Records released a re-recording of the original score. Rothermich strived to recreat the music as heard in the film, with no dialogue whatsoever. This album is one of the very few of which I keep two copies in different places. There have been mixed reactions to this release. In my opinion this recording is nothing short of sensational. I would never have thought such an achievement possible. This is my favourite incarnation of this score outside the film. Can you distinguish this recording from the original. Yes, if you are very familiar with the original. That doesn't bother me at all. Rothermich comes that close - it is a marvel.

I revere Philip K. Dick, I love the novel, the film, the score. Vangelis creates moody, multicoloured soundscapes that perfectly underline the cinematic narrative. This is surely one of the best electronic scores ever.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2014
    This is one I wouldn't have picked
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And what would your reason be for that Tom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    First of all I had a difficult time getting past the very poorly written novel. Dick wasn't a good writer at all in fact he should never have been published except that these were what I call pulp stories. I have the Library of America reprints of his books and I thought so highly of them that I left them in my sisters garage in San Diego.

Second I just have never been able to get excited over the electronic score. If it had been written, orchestrated, and arranged for the concert hall I would give it another listen as the theme is catchy. There is so much more to listen to that is satisfying to my eardrums.

Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think the score is perfect to the film, perfect! I can't imagine it working any other way.

BLADERUNNER was a serious contender for my top 50 albums but was relegated by a couple of others. As I mentioned before, I'll explain why I didn't include certain albums when I've filled my 50 choices.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2014 edited
    I agree with you on Philip K. Dick. I don't like his writing style.

...though I haven't read any since the early 80's
  4. shocked

"Ubik", "The Man in the High Castle" and "Do Androids ..." are among my favourite science fiction novels. (And I have read hundrets of them.) Concerning his writing merits: In don't consider his body of work "world literature" but it is up there with Frank Herbert, Alfred Bester or Robert Silverberg (among others), who are the "upper class" of genre SciFi.
    Yet I am biased: Due to his major topics Dick is extemely polular in philosophical circles.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was only referring to myself personally Captain. I'm not and never have been a writing snob.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And back with music, I presume I'm the only one involved in this thread that has heard and owns READY WHEN YOU ARE, J.B.
  5. I have seen the cover before, but that's all, I'm afraid. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    And back with music, I presume I'm the only one involved in this thread that has heard and owns READY WHEN YOU ARE, J.B.

I've got the album also Tim. Never transferred it over to CD.
    Tom
  6. Timmer wrote

Never heard of it, T.L.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. sdtom wrote
    First of all I had a difficult time getting past the very poorly written novel. Dick wasn't a good writer at all in fact he should never have been published except that these were what I call pulp stories. I have the Library of America reprints of his books and I thought so highly of them that I left them in my sisters garage in San Diego.

Second I just have never been able to get excited over the electronic score. If it had been written, orchestrated, and arranged for the concert hall I would give it another listen as the theme is catchy. There is so much more to listen to that is satisfying to my eardrums.

Tom

I wanted to ask you if there is any electronic film score you got to like.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. I haven't read much Dick but I've always thought he was a better "idea-generator" than actual writer. He's come up with some pretty fantastic concepts (which have lead to some pretty fantastic movies).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I haven't read much Dick but I've always thought he was a better "idea-generator" than actual writer. He's come up with some pretty fantastic concepts (which have lead to some pretty fantastic movies).

yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Never heard of it, T.L.

biggrin

You're missing out! It's the best composer compilation ever!

I should maybe have pointed out that all the arrangements and conducting is by john Barry himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The Barry compilation sounds nice. I'm no big fan, as you know, but I dig his themes and this seems to be a great listening experience.

As for BLADE RUNNER, I don't need to comment further, as this featured in my TOP 10 many months ago! Pure perfection from start to finish.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My pick:

30. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (John Williams)

The original Varese album, of course.

This was one I got very early on -- a mail-order purchase back in the mid 90s as my interest was blossoming -- but that didn't QUITE grab me at the time. I loved the Debussy-ian passages towards the end, but struggled with the mysterioso, dissonant parts. "The Abduction of Barry", for example, which is maybe the most avantgarde Williams has been in a film music context (IMAGES notwithstanding). In later years, this changed. I now like that particular sound, but more specifically the shift between the two. It's simply a fantastic concept album in its original programming (and vice versa a pretty horrible experience in expanded form) that is so chockful of details, you can always find something new even after dozens upon dozens of listenings. And it's perfectly structured like a symphony.

Then there's the disco remix of the 'conversations' theme at the end, which is just a fun bonus.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Great choice! One of the greates scores ever and one that brought JW to the attention of classic-music-listeners.

The original CD I think was by Intrada (1986), VS reissued it later.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor and I discussed this before. The CD version I have doesn't include JW's disco mix of the theme. The original gate-fold LP included a 45rpm single of the disco mix as a bonus.

I love the complete version but there's no way I'm letting go of the old album master on CD.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    The Barry compilation sounds nice. I'm no big fan, as you know, but I dig his themes and this seems to be a great listening experience.

I've always had reservations recommending anything John Barry to you as you well know Thor, however, I have no reservations recommending this one, an excellent 35 minute listen.

album cover

Unfortunately the album isn't on Spotify.
  10. Timmer wrote
    Thor and I discussed this before. The CD version I have doesn't include JW's disco mix of the theme. The original gate-fold LP included a 45rpm single of the disco mix as a bonus.

I love the complete version but there's no way I'm letting go of the old album master on CD.

Yup! The VS album includes that disco version as a bonus track. The score content is identical on Intrada and VS. Seems like it was produced by JW. He edited suites by taking material from all over the film. A real concept album. Thor must love it. The Intrada CD is AAD. Is the VS ADD?
  11. Arista, not Intrada!