• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    I don't have the box set to hand Thor, I think the suite was about 10 - 12 minutes worth?

I would say the suite does represent the music very well but to me more is better and this gem is only 30 approximate minutes long.

There is a suite on the "London Sessions" albums too. Great choice!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

No. 33

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) by Howard Shore

What a relief that Shore would choose Carl Orff (among others) instead of Richard Wagner as his guiding light of Eärendil. The attempt to connect one "Ring" to the other would have colapsed under its own weight.

In my world of symphonic film music TLotR is the greatest thing that happened since STAR WARS. The trilogy of Ring scores would have features much higher in my list were they not so young.

You have to write a Pawel like epic analysis about this score or you must be brief. I choose the latter option. Shores music is forever the music of Middle-Earth. This is up there with QUO VADIS, THE SEA HAWK, FOR A FIST FULL OF DOLLARS and STAR WARS. A score that defined the sound of a genre.

I own both the original single disc release and the complete edition of Fellowship. The complete edition is something of a collector's item and it is great for archival purposes. Yet the singel disc presentation is one of the best produced film music albums I have ever encountered. What a compelling listening experiance.

The Flame of Anor is present in every second of this music.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I don't have the box set to hand Thor, I think the suite was about 10 - 12 minutes worth?

I would say the suite does represent the music very well but to me more is better and this gem is only 30 approximate minutes long.

There is a suite on the "London Sessions" albums too. Great choice!

Blimey! I totally forgot that I also have the 3 Volumes of this. It was bugging me that I knew the score from before I got the Universal France box set and it wasn't just from seeing the ( rather ) good film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have the limited edition CD release from Varese/Sarabande and I haven't cracked it open for sometime.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love the LOTR scores, but they are not on my list. If I had to pick one contender, it would be RETURN OF THE KING, however.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2014 edited
    My pick:

33. A.I. - ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (John Williams)

The film is probably the most underrated and misunderstood film of all time, although it has thankfully gained a better reputation in the 13 years that have passed since its premiere. The music is one of its main strengths, as Williams taps into John Adams-like minimalism on occasion. Very modern and dry and 'chilly', yet also with incredible warmth and depth in other sequences. Whenever the lowest note of the David theme is reached, it gets me every time, both in the film and on album. For me, Williams has never been better in the 2000s - a true epitome of his contemporary stylings mixed in with his usual emotional skill.

And although reports vary on the composer here, wouldn't it be awesome if Williams himself had composed those brief 'techno' bits during the motorcycle chase? So cute. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  3. ^ I need to listen to that score again!

I have made up my mind about the remainder of my list. We don't have that many entries left.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    AI is a good choice Thor.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I love the LOTR scores, but they are not on my list. If I had to pick one contender, it would be RETURN OF THE KING, however.

I love them too but the LOTR scores are not on my list either. For me a perfect album would be made up of all three scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It won't appear on my list but excellent choice Thor. A.I. is a superb score ( and I hear the complete b**t makes it even better....not that you would ever agree wink ), I also think the film is a tad underrated.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I have the limited edition CD release from Varese/Sarabande and I haven't cracked it open for sometime.
    Tom smile

Break it out again Tom, TRUE CONFESSIONS is definitely worth more of your listening time.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I love them too but the LOTR scores are not on my list either. For me a perfect album would be made up of all three scores.

Let me recommend the LotR Symphony then. It gives you the music in a concertante symphony, 6 movements on 2 discs.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know and I should check it out. Where did you buy it?
  5. http://www.soundtrackcorner.de/advanced … =0&y=0

Here, at my regular vendor. I bought a special priced copy back then. The plastic trays were cracked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll listen to it soon. I'm working on a score that you might include in your list that being Jane Eyre from Herrmann.
    Tom
  6. NP: Jane Eyre (1944) - Bernard Herrmann
    Naxos re-recording

This is superb.

Volker

It was in the mail yesterday. wink smile

PS: Looking forward to reading your review Tom!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014 edited
    Staying within the realm of the horror movie soundtrack, my next candidate would have been the 1981 INCUBUS by Stanley Myers except that no INCUBUS soundtrack exists.

Mr. Myers typically recorded his film music at C.T.S. studios in England. While this situation might imply that that studio's master tapes have been dumped into rubbish heaps, I still have hope that the Myers estate (including Stanley's son, I would think) retained composer copies.
    Perhaps the mater tapes are truly lost; nonetheless, I think it odd that folks such as James Fitzpatrick saved only the Jerry Fielding recordings and almost every other composer's works got dumped.

My # 33 is THE VAMPIRE LOVERS (1970) by Harry Robinson, on GDI CD (2000).

There's no shortage of vampire flicks by Hammer between '58 and '74, but soundtracks from Hammer horror are not very numerous and apparently appeal to a limited sub-niche.

Hammer productions did not have corresponding soundtrack releases at the time of their films' releases.
    Maybe the most significant reason was that Hammer recorded its scores in mono in less than ideal acoustics.

Around Y2K, GDI Records began to release some Hammer soundtracks on CDs, but even this endeavor was restricted to what material exists and the cult status of the movies. Soundtracks from the early 1970s seem to have fared the best in this regard, but GDI ceased not long afterwards and now only occasionally does the BuySoundtrax label release a Hammer title once every 2 years or so.

Unlike most Hammer fans, I have never cottoned up to the music of James Bernard. Thus, my favorite vampire score is Harry Robinson's initial effort for THE VAMPIRE LOVERS.

Robinson had scored segments of Hammer's 1968 TV series, and did AIP's THE OBLONG BOX prior to being assigned to THE VAMPIRE LOVERS.

While continuing in the blood-and-thunder tradition, Robinson blends aspects of James Bernard with the lyricism of, say, Michael J. Lewis.

THE VAMPIRE LOVERS is very well orchestrated and its music unfolds fascinatingly (to me, anyway) without any desire to press the fast-forward button. The bonus section at the end of the CD contains source music waltzes, and even these sit well with me.

[P.S.: Harry Robinson's name was actually Harry Robertson. I've read that a payroll clerk had inadvertently misspelled Robertson as "Robinson" and thereafter Robertson adapted Robinson as his own name in order to redeem his paycheck. smile ]
  7. Captain Future wrote
    The trilogy of Ring scores would have features much higher in my list were they not so young.

What does their age have to do with anything? confused

Thor wrote
    And although reports vary on the composer here, wouldn't it be awesome if Williams himself had composed those brief 'techno' bits during the motorcycle chase? So cute. smile

What are these "reports", and who is the other composer? Just out of curiosity. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bloody* good choice Cobweb. I love Harry Robinson's Hammer scores. I think my favourite is Lust For A Vampire but the tapes don't seem to be in good condition judging by the little we have available on various horror compilations.

*pun intended wink
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    The trilogy of Ring scores would have features much higher in my list were they not so young.

Valid question. It's more of a gut feeling that time-honoured scores that I have loved over many a year deserve to be higher in that list.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Thor wrote

What are these "reports", and who is the other composer? Just out of curiosity. smile

I've read comments by people saying the bits in question were composed by Joseph Williams (John's son) or some other electronica expert I've forgotten the name of. But no real confirmation. In my mind, though, I like to think they were composed by the then 69-year-old Williams sr., Moroder-style.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Bloody* good choice Cobweb. I love Harry Robinson's Hammer scores. I think my favourite is Lust For A Vampire but the tapes don't seem to be in good condition judging by the little we have available on various horror compilations.

*pun intended wink

I can only presume that you knew he was responsible for this huge hit of the late 1950's? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014
    I actually have this one and like it.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

*pun intended wink

I can only presume that you knew he was responsible for this huge hit of the late 1950's? wink

Not familiar with that 'hit' number, but yeah I realized Harry Robinson was involved in popular music prior to writing for Hammer.

Within the GDI CD notes, there's indication that Robinson knew his stuff. Robinson was not only familiar with the Hammer music before '68 (James Bernard, Benjamin Frankel, Malcolm Williamson), but knew the difference between Ennio Morricone and Hugo Montenegro as well. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It would be nice if a CD label would take on the task of re-issuing these.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2014 edited
    Absolutely Tom. David Whitaker's sumptuous score for DR JECKYL AND SISTER HYDE was promised for many years and has still not materialised. I think it was promised from BSX who eventually released the long awaited Laurie Johnson score for CAPTAIN KRONOS VAMPIRE HUNTER.

There's a wealth of other great scores in the Hammer vaults.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote
    Within the GDI CD notes, there's indication that Robinson knew his stuff. Robinson was not only familiar with the Hammer music before '68 (James Bernard, Benjamin Frankel, Malcolm Williamson), but knew the difference between Ennio Morricone and Hugo Montenegro as well. smile

Love it! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    Absolutely Tom. David Whitaker's sumptuous score for DR JECKYL AND SISTER HYDE was promised for many years and has still not materialised. I think it was promised from BSX who eventually released the long awaited Laurie Johnson score for CAPTAIN KRONOS VAMPIRE HUNTER.

There's a wealth of other great scores in the Hammer vaults.

It would be a nice plus for BSX if they chose to do it.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sure they said they would do it Tom. It is just that it has been a long time now. It's over two years since Captain Kronos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2014
    I'll have to get ahold of Mark Banning and see what is going on. He is somewhat accessible to me.
    Tom