• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. And this is my 1-50 list in toto:

1. Star Wars - Return of the Jedi / Williams
    2. Chariots of Fire / Vangelis
    3. The Mission / Morricone
    4. Star Trek The Motion Picture / Goldsmith
    5. The Black Hole / Barry
    6. The Never Ending Story / Doldinger
    7. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Morricone
    8. Die Besucher / Karel Svoboda
    9. 2010 / Shire
    10. Gone With the Wind / Max Steiner
    11. The Empire Strikes Back / Williams
    12. Star Wars /Williams
    13. Das Boot / Doldinger
    14. Dune / Toto, Eno
    15. Out of this World / various
    16. Hollywood’s Greatest Hits / various
    17. Titanic / Horner
    18. Pat Garret & Billy the Kid / Bob Dylan
    19. Battlestar Galactica / Phillips
    20. 1492 - Conquest of Paradise /Vangelis
    21. Batman / Elfman
    22. Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country / Eidelman
    23. Ben-Hur / Rozsa
    24. To Kill a Mockinbird / Bernstein
    25. Captain Future / Christian Bruhn
    26. Robin of Sherwood / Clannad
    27. The Adventures of Robin Hood / Kamen
    28. Dead Poet’s Society / Jarre
    29. The Prince and the Pauper (Compilation) / various
    30. Blade Runner / Vangelis
    31. The Miss Marple Films / Goodwin
    32. The Name of the Rose / Horner
    33. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring / Shore
    34. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers / Shore
    35. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King / Shore
    36. Rain Man / Zimmer
    37. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan / Horner
    38. Akira / Yamashiro Shoji
    39. Ice Station Zebra / Legrand
    40. Conan the Barbarian / Poledoris
    41. Karl May Melodien / Martin Böttcher
    42. Henry V / Doyle
    43. The Cider House Rules / Portman
    44. Caravans / Batt
    45. Jurassic Park / Williams
    46. Once Upon a Time in America / Morricone
    47. The Adventures of David Balfoure / Cosma
    48. Avatar / Horner
    49. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade / Williams
    50. The Mists of Avalon / Holdridge
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2015
    I really love that Holdridge score too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Annnnnnnnnnnd finally.... 1 - 50

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    THE THING - Morricone
    WALKING WITH DINOSAURS / WALKING WITH BEASTS - Bartlett
    STAR WARS - Williams
    CHINATOWN - Goldsmith
    HEAVY METAL - Bernstein
    BULLIT - Schifrin
    BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Kilar
    STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - Horner
    ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Nascimbene
    'BOOM!' - Barry
    STARSHIP TROOPERS - Poledouris
    RED PLANET - Revell
    QUEST FOR FIRE - Sarde
    FLASH GORDON - Queen / Blake
    THE ROBE - A. Newman
    THE BOURNE SUPREMACY - Powell
    READY WHEN YOU ARE J.B. - Barry
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - Barry
    ROCKY - Conti
    TRUE CONFESSIONS - Delerue
    LIFEFORCE - Mancini
    JANE EYRE - Williams
    THE FILM MUSIC OF - C. Gunning
    SOMMERSBY - Elfman
    THE DARK CRYSTAL - Jones
    WATERSHIP DOWN - Morley
    THE FURY - Williams
    TOTAL RECALL - Goldsmith
    KING KONG - Barry
    CONAN THE DESTROYER - Poledouris
    MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME - Jarre
    RED SONJA - Morricone
    THE TIME MACHINE - Garcia
    YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE - Barry
    CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - Williams
    OUR MAN FLINT / IN LIKE FLINT - Goldsmith
    THE FILM SCORES - Bernard Herrmann
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2015 edited
    Re: #32 So, THE NAME OF THE ROSE was by John Barry eh Mein Capitaine? biggrin ( I WISH!!!!! )

Also....

#26 ClanNad
    #31 GoOdwin

Pedantic me wink
  2. A rushed job. smile Amendments impending ...
  3. Timmer wrote
    Re: #32 So, THE NAME OF THE ROSE was by John Barry eh Mein Capitaine? biggrin ( I WISH!!!!! )

I don't. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

I don't. wink

Why would you if it's one of your favourites!?

As it is I really like Horner's score and have championed it over the years when it would periodically get bashed ( mostly in FSM threads back in the day ), his electronic score interspersed with Gregorian chant fits the mood of the film perfectly.

If Barry had scored it ( I don't believe he was ever considered ) I think we'd have got an all too rare choral score from him, this medieval murder mystery would have been perfect for him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My pick:

50. THE DIG (Michael Land)

I had to go a few rounds with this, but ultimately fell down on THE DIG -- the Lucasarts adventure game score from 1995. Back in the 90's, I played PC games regularly, mostly adventure games from Lucasarts, Sierra etc. THE DIG is the best of the bunch, IMO, and -- in fact -- my favourite game of all time. The Steven Spielberg-written story preshadows films like INTERSTELLAR, and is so totally ripe with atmosphere, it's bonechilling. A major part of that atmosphere is Land's synth score which combines vast chord leaps, Wagner-style, with ambient textures capturing the otherworldliness of the planet. It's simply drop-dead gorgeous.

THE DIG was -- as far as I know -- the very first game to get its own soundtrack release, so I remember getting it back then and later adding the actual expanded game score to the 'album' as a whole. Here's a rare example where I had to get more music because of the source. However, in later years I've found myself returning more and more to the original album program again.

It's a bit weird that I included this on the last spot over a long list of fantastic film scores (that I'm sure we will be talking about soon, when we mention our shortlists), but it was nice to have game scores represented, and especially this crucial part of my cultural upbringing.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. ^ I'm afraid, I never even heard of that film. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ..or read that post. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    cheesy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    So I'm going to do a recap of my Top 50 too (sorry about the lower-case letters, btw):

1. jurassic park (john williams)
    2. the return of the jedi (john williams)
    3. the nightmare before christmas (danny elfman)
    4. edward scissorhands (danny elfman)
    5. beyond rangoon (hans zimmer)
    6. jane eyre (john williams)
    7. the abyss (alan silvestri)
    8. alien 3 (elliot goldenthal)
    9. blade runner (vangelis)
    10. waterworld (james newton howard)

11. rock solid themes (various)
    12. le cinema de georges delerue (georges delerue)
    13. indiana jones and the last crusade (john williams)
    14. hook (john williams)
    15. the neverending story (klaus doldinger/giorgio moroder)
    16. the rock (hans zimmer/nick glennie-smith)
    17. avatar (james horner)
    18. the boy in the striped pyjamas (james horner)
    19. williams on williams (john williams)
    20. crash (mark isham)
    21. miami vice (jan hammer)
    22. the mummy (jerry goldsmith)
    23. forrest gump (alan silvestri)
    24. l'apocalypse des animaux (vangelis)
    25. the shawshank redemption (thomas newman)
    26. conan the barbarian (basil poledouris)
    27. snow falling on cedars (james newton howard)
    28. robin hood – prince of thieves (michael kamen)
    29. e.t. (john williams)
    30. close encounters (john williams)
    31. crimson tide (hans zimmer)
    32. ben hur (miklos rozsa)
    33. a.i. (john williams)
    34. far & away (john williams)
    35. standard operating procedure (danny elfman)
    36. the phantom (david newman)
    37. rocky iv (vince di cola)
    38. twin peaks (angelo badalamenti)
    39. aliens (james horner)
    40. to kill a mockingbird (elmer bernstein)
    41. ladyhawke (andrew powell)
    42. stargate (david arnold)
    43. braveheart (james horner)
    44. black beauty (danny elfman)
    45. tron: legacy (daft punk)
    46. aladdin (alan menken)
    47. peyton place (franz waxman)
    48. heat (elliot goldenthal)
    49. the big country (jerome moross)
    50. the dig (michael land)
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Timmer wrote
    ..or read that post. biggrin

Cought in the act. smile I scanned the post and missed the fact that there is no film attached to the game. No wonder I never heard of it, no-gamer that I am.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015
    My entry for #50 interestingly bookends Timmer's #1. While Timmer commenced his list with CONAN THE BARBARIAN, I'm concluding mine with a different type of sword & sandal flick - an Italian peplum.

#50: URSUS NELLA TERRA DI FUOCO (1963) by Carlo Savina, on Digitmovies CD (2009).

A thread over @ FSM was created by me on this title, so, rather than re-type content here, I'm posting a link:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

I've gotten very much into Italian peplum over the past half-dozen years (though I've collected them for a much longer time period). In my assessment of this soundtrack genre, the following composers surface as the ones who've written scores which satisfy me the most: Roberto Nicolosi, Carlo Savina, Armando Trovajoli and Angelo Francesco Lavagnino.

While heroic music and marches don't appeal much to me, the Italian peplum soundtracks frequently offer world-weary themes which communicate might and bulk more so than the optimistic or the juvenile.

Savina's URSUS is tops with me because much of its duration is static chords and percussion crashes - quite different from Hollywood leitmotif idioms.
  6. My favourite scores of that kind would be:

- Ulisse / Alexander Cigognini
    - Gli ultimi giorni di Pompei / Angelo Francesco Lavignio

Concerning URSUS: I remember the film, which I saw many years ago, but not the music.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    URSUS is on Spotify. I like it.

I love a lot of Peplum but the damned recordings leave much to be desired. Lavagnino is my favourite in this genre.

Anyone know why Savina conducted BEN-HUR rather than Rozsa?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015 edited
    I plan to get Cicognini's ULYSSES sometime this year.
    The 1995 C.A.M. CD of Lavagnino's POMPEI is the version I currently have.

Timmer, you might wish to investigate Gino Marinuzzi jr's MARTE peplum on Digitmovies; it's in stereo and sounds quite classical (as if Gustav Holst wrote for peplum smile ). I think the sound on that one is very good for 1962.

Savina conducted music in Rome for the MGM LP of BEN HUR since the U.S. musicians union asked for high re-use fees for their performances to be released on records. (perhaps Rozsa's schedule did not allow him to travel to Rome?).

Savina also conducted a lot of Lavagnino scores, such as the 1963 SALADINO (on Kronos).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Italian peplum movies seem to be a popular niche genre, just like Italian giallos and westerns. I've never been able to embrace any of these on a personal level (except the big western titles, obviously), but whenever someone links to or plays some music from them, I'm usually entertained.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2015
    A little breakdown...

Number of different composers represented in my list = 30

Earliest score represented is Ralph Vaughan Williams SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC ( 1948 )

Most recent score represented is John Powell's THE BOURNE SUPREMACY ( 2004 )

Composer with most entries in my list = John Barry with eight scores followed by Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams with five apiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    John Barry? shocked
    Oh, the HUMANITY!

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know. Imagine my surprise!? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    Earliest score represented is Ralph Vaughan Williams SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC ( 1948 )

Timmer, would this be the 2002 recording on Chandos (a disc which also includes "Coastal Command Suite" and "The People's Land").
    If so, do you listen to the entire album with the other 2 selections?

The original 1948 film session elements have never been released on disc to my knowledge and such may not even exist, isn't this so?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    A little breakdown...

Composer with most entries in my list = John Barry with eight scores followed by Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams with five apiece.

Another statistic which interests me is that Timmer's #50 selection contains Herrmann's PSYCHO, which I think is the only movie within his Top 50 which was filmed in black-and-white.

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD was mentioned several times, which is monochrome, and Captain Future mentioned MISS MARPLE films which are black & white, too.

Other than entries in my own list, the only other item which I think contains music from monochrome films is Thor's 6-CD set on Georges Delerue (which I expect contains a few early '60s French titles plus RAPTURE which is B&W).

What are your thoughts about this? Does this imply that most MT members don't watch much vintage films?
    Or could it mean that music from B&W movies simply is not amongst favorites?
    Do you think colo(u)r films actually inspire composers to write more descriptive music?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2015 edited
    Yes I did choose the Chandos CD and yes, I do play the other works contained.

The "original soundtrack" is on Spotify if you want to check it out, if it is the original then I'm surprised there's no CD release? It says it's conducted by RVW but I always thought the score was conducted by Muir Matthieson. I need to carefully compare this with Gamba's recording for validation.

I also listened to Ron Goodwin's DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS on Spotify recently, unless I'm seriously mistaken that score has never had a release of any kind.
  7. Another little breakdown...

Number of different composers represented in my list = 34

Earliest score represented is Erich Wolfgang Korngold THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD ( 1938 )

Most recent score represented is James Horner's AVATAR ( 2009 )

Composer with most entries in my list = John Williams with five scores followed by James Horner (four) and Ennio Morricone and Vangelis with three apiece. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I wanna play too!

* Number of composers represented: 32 (I think)

* Earliest score: PEYTON PLACE (1957)

* Newest score: TRON: LEGACY (2010)

* Composer with most entries: John Williams with 10(!). As with Timmer and Barry, I'm sure everyone is shocked to hear that I had so many Williams titles on my list.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote
    Another statistic which interests me is that Timmer's #50 selection contains Herrmann's PSYCHO, which I think is the only movie within his Top 50 which was filmed in black-and-white.

Interestingly, I see that there are only three scores on my list from films that would definitely feature in my top 100 movies and possibly another three, though that would take some serious deliberating and breaking-down.

My top 100 movies would include a lot of black & white movies and even "shock!" "Horror!" foreign language films. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, my list of favourite movies would look nothing like the soundtrack list, although there would be some overlaps (like the 1st place).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote

Interestingly, I see that there are only three scores on my list from films that would definitely feature in my top 100 movies and possibly another three, though that would take some serious deliberating and breaking-down.

My top 100 movies would include a lot of black & white movies and even "shock!" "Horror!" foreign language films. wink

Yes, interesting that.

There might be lots of reasons why this is so. One reason could be that your favorite films don't have corresponding soundtrack albums (let alone albums you could listen to all throughout without skipping tracks).
    But another reason could be that a film which is dramatically involving and satisfying (via scriptwriting, acting, direction, photography, etc.) has less of a need for story-telling music.
    Could be that the weaker the movies is, the greater its reliance is upon commentative music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015
    It's a minefield for conversation, that's for sure.

John Barry gets into my top 100 films with WALKABOUT, a score not on my listening list.

Another of my choices is Hitchcock's THE BIRDS which as all self respecting film score fan knows, has no score at all.