• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2015
    I guess in the case of more standard B fare from the decade, the flaws of shoddy production design etc. becomes more apparent.

But yeah -- usually it's only a good thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2015 edited
    Gods but I have to go back some way to find things that scared me. Night of The Demon, One Million Years BC, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Singing Ringing Tree.

I saw ALIEN on its cinema release and the only thing I was scared of was being underage and not being able to get in to see it wink

There are things that can creep me out though and in that respect POLTERGEIST 2 with its creepy priest wins over the original. Actor Andrew Robinson has creeped me twice, once as Scorpio in DIRTY HARRY and then as Uncle Frank in HELLRAISER. Even Richard Attenborough has done it, as John Christie in 10 RILLINGTON PLACE.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Gods but I have to go back some way to find things that scared me. Night of The Demon, One Million Years BC, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Singing Ringing Tree..

CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG!??! How is THAT scary?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Tim, it's Andrew Robinson that's Scorpio and in Hellraiser.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Tim, it's Andrew Robinson that's Scorpio and in Hellraiser.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Super 8 - Michael Giacchino

I must admit I mostly dismissed this score other than the magnificent 'Letting Go'. But giving this a thorough listen again I have to say that there's a lot more substance to it than I remembered. In fact the re-arranging of the 3 or 4 recurrent motifs/themes is wonderfully deft, whilst the action barrage of 'World's Worst Field Trip', 'The Siege of Lillian', and 'Creature Comforts' is spectacular.
  3. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Gods but I have to go back some way to find things that scared me. Night of The Demon, One Million Years BC, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Singing Ringing Tree..

Oh, man, that movie was terrifying back when I was little. That child-snatcher guy is the stuff of nightmares! And I think I found him even scarier when I watched the film again as an adult!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Oh, man, that movie was terrifying back when I was little. That child-snatcher guy is the stuff of nightmares! And I think I found him even scarier when I watched the film again as an adult!

He, he....can't remember that. I do remember renting the film on VHS/Moviebox for one of my birthdays (I'm guessing 10th birthday or something thereabouts) -- which in itself was a big deal for me at the time (my family did not own a VCR untill I was 15-16 years old) -- but I can't remember anything scary about it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim, it's Andrew Robinson that's Scorpio and in Hellraiser.

Ooops! shame ( thanks for telling me twice wink )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    Oh, man, that movie was terrifying back when I was little. That child-snatcher guy is the stuff of nightmares!

Indeed! What's not scary about a creepy man enticing children with the promise of sweets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TWIN PEAKS (Angelo Badalementi)

I can go on forever about what this score has meant to me, and I believe I already have.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2015
    The Unsaid - Don Davis

Not a huge amount of depth to this but then who cares - that lyrical main theme is just so brilliant.
  4. David OC wrote
    The Unsaid - Don Davis

Not a huge amount of depth to this but then who cares - that lyrical main theme is just so brilliant.

That theme is one of my favourite Davis compositions.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    It's one of his best, that's for sure. Spine-tingling and hauntingly beautiful at times.

Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams

Love this score. A late-period Williams classic, with so much beauty and range - unlike something like Angela's Ashes, for example which despite a great theme, is ploddingly one-dimensional overall.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    David OC wrote
    The Unsaid - Don Davis

That theme is one of my favourite Davis compositions.

It is absolutely gorgeous.
  5. I remember prior to the score being available from BSX it was available as an import from Germany and I jumped at the chance of acquiring that one.

The DVD release in Germany came as a "special edition" and included a CD of the score - essentially a CD of the isolated score. Track titles and the tracks themselves were different from the BSX release (more care was taken with the latter release).

I believe that the DVD/CD combo was only available for a limited time - perhaps because of the lack of clarity of the rights to release the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David OC wrote
    The Unsaid - Don Davis

Is this the score that rips off Silvestri's Cast Away?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2015 edited
    I don't think so; I don't hear any real similarity.

Enough Said - Marcelo Zarvos

Much like the film it was written for, a small gem full of melody if not ambition. I love hearing a small ensemble used in such a lyrical vein. A lot of short cues but they're all beautifully crafted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2015 edited
    Paper Planes - Nigel Westlake

Still spinning and ranting about this superb music.
    I think it may only be available in Australia at this time (not sure), so Micheal, David, check it out!
    If this was released on the 31st of December 2014 it would be score of the year for me. And there were quite a few scores I loved last year too. I've always enjoyed Westlakes' music. He's right up there with Christopher Gordon in my opinion. Just so melodic and richly symphonic. Beautifully performed by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra too.
    I actually saw the film on Monday not knowing who scored it and within 20 seconds of hearing the opening titles I thought "this has to be Nigel Westlake!' and I knew I had to get this one!
    I can't quite describe the musical style here except it's perhaps a tad like Elfman's scores for Charlotte's Web and Black Beauty or Broughton's The Boy Who Could Fly but distinctly Westlake in orchestration. It's just joyous, uplifting music that's often exciting and yet very sweet. I hope everyone who likes this form of rich, old school orchestral scoring will get a chance to hear it. Brilliant stuff!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham, I just thought I'd point out that the score is available on Spotify. I'll give it a listen later today. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Ah, good. Check it out for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Hunger Games Part 3 - JNH

I really like the more energetic tracks here like "Incombing Bombers" and "Air Raid Drill". Some skillfullly written bombast and awe that is missing from most scores this decade.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. NP: The Theory of Everything (2014) - Jóhann Jóhannsson

Great music, very fresh and original. The Glass influence is palpable, though. I like that since one of my favourite unreleased scores is from A Brief History of Time. So there is a double connection.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Theory of Everything (2014) - Jóhann Jóhannsson
    Great music, very fresh and original. The Glass influence is palpable, though. I like that since one of my favourite unreleased scores is from A Brief History of Time. So there is a double connection.

The trailer for Theory of Everything used Glass' Mishima.
  7. NP: Foxcatcher (Mychael Danna)

Well crafted score with emphasis on piano soli. The score leads beautifully into Arvo Part's Fur Alina (which I have a weakness for, having used it in a film myself).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2015 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Foxcatcher (Mychael Danna)

Well crafted score with emphasis on piano soli. The score leads beautifully into Arvo Part's Fur Alina (which I have a weakness for, having used it in a film myself).

Isn't the score primarily composed by Rob Simonsen, with thematic material by Danna?

I utterly disliked the film, btw. Enormously overrated.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LAND OF THE TIGER - Nicholas Hooper

My favourite score by this composer. Wonderful, mystical and enchanting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    Paper Planes - Nigel Westlake

Still spinning and ranting about this superb music.
    I think it may only be available in Australia at this time (not sure), so Micheal, David, check it out!
    If this was released on the 31st of December 2014 it would be score of the year for me. And there were quite a few scores I loved last year too. I've always enjoyed Westlakes' music. He's right up there with Christopher Gordon in my opinion. Just so melodic and richly symphonic. Beautifully performed by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra too.
    I actually saw the film on Monday not knowing who scored it and within 20 seconds of hearing the opening titles I thought "this has to be Nigel Westlake!' and I knew I had to get this one!
    I can't quite describe the musical style here except it's perhaps a tad like Elfman's scores for Charlotte's Web and Black Beauty or Broughton's The Boy Who Could Fly but distinctly Westlake in orchestration. It's just joyous, uplifting music that's often exciting and yet very sweet. I hope everyone who likes this form of rich, old school orchestral scoring will get a chance to hear it. Brilliant stuff!

I'm listening to it now. Bloody excellent so far! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm going to do an Erik here, but holy crap that 9 minute cue near the end of the album. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2015 edited
    NP: LIFE IN A FISHBOWL (Olafur Arnalds)

Ah, blissful tranquility and slowness - Iceland style!
    I am extremely serious.