• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Merlin - Trevor Jones (1998)

I always regarded this score and The Mists of Avalon as siblings. There is the thematic and stylistic proximity. Also both scores are only three year apart, they are both by Varese and due to alphabetical order they long stood side by side on my shelf. (Before I stored all CDs away in boxes.)

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Jim Ware wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Kingdom is a generic score by Williams' standards. I does have some thematic highlights and in general it's a fine score.

With a terrible album presentation!

That's right. slant

No, the album presentation is fine, as it ALWAYS is with Williams (without exception).

But the music is simply not strong enough, save one or two highlights.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    No, the album presentation is fine, as it ALWAYS is with Williams (without exception).

No pun intended, I'm sure. #obscurefilmmusicjokes
  2. applause

I just finished WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE, by that one guy (you know the one).

Yet another strong film score from 2014. I enjoyed this, though parts of it were a little too saccharine (and that means a lot coming from me). That song at the end, though! I usually just skip songs, to be honest, but that one hooked me fast. It's VERY sad, especially for an innocent little children's film. It's very good, I think, but just so, so sad. There's even more than a hint of contemplation of suicide at the end, and given what I've heard about the nature of the film that just really surprises me. I wouldn't expect such a serious song to accompany a film aimed at so young a group. It's called "Fine On the Outside." Anybody heard it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Thor wrote

With the exception of the terrible ones. Like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2015 edited
    yeah

The editing is atrocious!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. NP - DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION - Trevor Morris

These video game scores are just too long. They're just a chore to get through. I end up skip a whole bunch of tracks after listening to not much of them just trying to find the ones that are worth listening to. It's not a very effect way of listening to a score, I'm afraid, but I don't have the patience to slog through a 90+ minute album that full of "epic" loudness interspersed by a track of ambient drone every now and then. Then I look up score reviews trying to see if there are any highlight cues I should focus my attention on, and reviews list nearly every track as a highlight. That's not helpful.

Whining over.
  4. NP: Der Medicus / The Physician (2013) - Ingo Ludwig Frenzel

I saw the film yesterday (the extanded TV cut). I found it really entertaining. Frenzel's score is as lovely in context as it is on CD.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2015
    christopher wrote
    NP - DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION - Trevor Morris

These video game scores are just too long. They're just a chore to get through. I end up skip a whole bunch of tracks after listening to not much of them just trying to find the ones that are worth listening to. It's not a very effect way of listening to a score, I'm afraid, but I don't have the patience to slog through a 90+ minute album that full of "epic" loudness interspersed by a track of ambient drone every now and then. Then I look up score reviews trying to see if there are any highlight cues I should focus my attention on, and reviews list nearly every track as a highlight. That's not helpful.

Whining over.

Couldn't agree more!!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2015
    NP: TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE (Vince DiCola)

Holy cow! This is great. Where have you been all my life? And to think I never bothered to explore this even if his ROCKY IV is one of my alltime favourite scores!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Ba weep grana weep minibob!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. I finally figured out Thor. He's a robot in disguise.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2015 edited
    NP: Big Hero 6 - Henry Jackman

Having seen the movie, Henry's score jumped into my list of favorite scores of 2014. It's rambunctious, dynamic, thematic, catchy and fun. Yes, it does veer a bit into the Mickey-mousing territory, but I can forgive it because it's so good inside the movie. I love this modern, orchestral, brassy, techno-electronica sound that Henry has provided the movie. It can be a bit jarring at time, but I enjoyed this hybrid mix. This score actually reminded me of Henry's previous score for a Dreamworks production, Turbo. Lots of similarities, but Turbo does feel more orchestral in approach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You have a list of favourite scores of 2015? As in plural? uhm Crikey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    You have a list of favourite scores of 2015? As in plural? uhm Crikey.

I meant to say 2014, but I will still be listening to this score for the rest of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2015
    NP: REVELATION (Neal Acree)

Excellent videogame score (see, I DO like them once in a while) -- very lush and South-East Asian. Pastiche? Sure. But I dig this 'west meets east' stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2015
    Paper Planes - Nigel Westlake

A joyous, soaring, wonderful symphonic score to a very sweet film.
    Great to here Westlake scoring again!
    Highly recommended!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2015 edited
    NP : THE VIKINGS II - Trevor Morris

Not bad. Is the show worth watching? I want accuracy, not daftyness.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Is that the season 1 score? I thought it was dreadful!
  8. NP: Darkon - Jonah Rapino

Apparently this music is composed for a 2007 documentary film telling the tale a group of individuals who play Darkon, a role-playing fantasy game where people dress up as wizards and warriors and have mock battles using homemade weaponry.

I like how Rapino uses strings, some brass and percussion to give the score a sort of "Ye Olde" feel, sometimes an almost silent era string score atmosphere.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2015
    Atham wrote

Highly recommended!

Nice to hear mate. Does it have much depth/variety to it?
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Witches of Eastwick - John Williams

Such a great score with a couple of his most devilishly addictive themes. And then there's the gorgeous Ballroom cue which really is the icing on the cake.
  9. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE VIKINGS - Trevor Morris

I can't really say anything about the accuracy. In the end, it's from the History Channel, not the BBC, and it certainly had to adjust some stuff for budget and entertainment reasons. But I thought it to be a nice take on the topic and enjoyed it. I also think the score adds a lot to the series and helps defining the impression it had on me, of a rather unpleasant way to do things. ^^ While the show has its heroes and heroines, it doesn't shy away from showing that none of what they do is actually that heroic, but cruel and brutal. The show takes a kind of neutral stance and just takes us on the journey to explore what it was like. Whether it's in any way authentic or not, I don't know, but it's interesting to watch (and also quite entertaining at times). For more facts about the show, just check Wikipedia. I'd think they'd discuss authenticity there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    THE IMITATION GAME | alexandre desplat

What a great score. That main theme is very memorable and excellent in the movie, a driving and tender theme. Probably my favourite Desplat from 2014.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    David OC wrote
    Atham wrote

Highly recommended!

Nice to hear mate. Does it have much depth/variety to it?

Indeed it does. Several themes and passages in various forms. Mostly uplifting music without being too fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE VIKINGS - Trevor Morris

I can't really say anything about the accuracy. In the end, it's from the History Channel, not the BBC, and it certainly had to adjust some stuff for budget and entertainment reasons. But I thought it to be a nice take on the topic and enjoyed it. I also think the score adds a lot to the series and helps defining the impression it had on me, of a rather unpleasant way to do things. ^^ While the show has its heroes and heroines, it doesn't shy away from showing that none of what they do is actually that heroic, but cruel and brutal. The show takes a kind of neutral stance and just takes us on the journey to explore what it was like. Whether it's in any way authentic or not, I don't know, but it's interesting to watch (and also quite entertaining at times). For more facts about the show, just check Wikipedia. I'd think they'd discuss authenticity there.

It is NOT accurate by any means, even though it bases some things on actual events and a lot has gone into the costumes etc. Heck, it sometimes even resorts to silly things for effect, like having Northern Lights in the South of Norway?!?

But I've seen all episodes for the entertainment value alone, which is often OK. We're still waiting for the ultimate viking film or tv series that take the historical facts seriously, however. I had certain hopes that Mel Gibson's long-awaited project would do this, but this seems to be on indefinite hold.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Is that the season 1 score? I thought it was dreadful!

I just edited. It was the 2nd one I listened to.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks for the info Ralph and Thor. It turns out a friend of mine has both series on box sets so I'll get to see it for myself.

Thor, has the Northern Lights really never been seen in the South of Norway? After some strong sun activity they were seen in Southern England some years ago.

Thor wrote
    I had certain hopes that Mel Gibson's long-awaited project would do this, but this seems to be on indefinite hold.

I'm afraid it is unlikely to happen unless Gibson can get funding elsewhere. Over the last few years the man has dug a deep hole and become Hollywood poison.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thor, has the Northern Lights really never been seen in the South of Norway? After some strong sun activity they were seen in Southern England some years ago.

It CAN happen, but extremely rarely. I cannot remember having seen it in my lifetime. Apparently, however, it happened a couple of weeks ago in Oslo.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Vikings do not wait for Northern Lights.

EVERLY | mccreary

Well, that's a mixed bag of different styles. uhm His signature percussion meets electronica and Asian elements meets Christmas music and a heart monitor beep. It's sometimes catchy but especially confusing.
    Kazoo