• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2015 edited
    No arguments about the film and the way it complements it but the score as a whole is relatively minor Elfman. wink
    I appreciate the subtle complexities of it, but I'd put at least 25-30 Elfman scores ahead of this.

The Double - Andrew Hewitt

This is easily one of my favourite scores of the past year. Utterly brilliant piano and string writing for a deeply flawed but superbly directed film. Hewitt's music is so strikingly and memorably used in a number of scenes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2015
    David OC wrote
    No arguments about the film and the way it complements it but the score as a whole is relatively minor Elfman. wink
    I appreciate the subtle complexities of it, but I'd put at least 25-30 Elfman scores ahead of this.

This is easily one of my favourite scores of the past year. Utterly brilliant piano and string writing for a deeply flawed but superbly directed film. Hewitt's music is so strikingly and memorably used in a number of scenes.

Isn't the film basically a poor man's ENEMY (by Denis Villeneuve)? I've heard such stories, but I haven't gotten around to it myself yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2015 edited
    It depends how you look at it, Thor. It's an adaptation of Fyodor Dostoyevski's novella 'The Double', while Enemy was an adaptation of Portuguese writer Jose Saramago's novel 'The Double'. If this work was inspired by Dostoyevski's story as well, it could be linked, but it seems the central theme is just similar. Also, there are some distinct differences between both stories. Besides, the literal English translation of the original Portuguese titel of Saramago's work is 'The Duplicated Man', so it seems to be just a coincidence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Predator 2 Alan Silvestri

Perhaps his best action score?
  1. The Greatest Video Game Music (2011) - various composers
    London Philharmonic Orchestra; London Voices; Andrew Skeet

I never enjoyed playing video games, hence I don't use to listen to video game music, hence this album totally escaped my attention until I saw it in a record store today. Seems like it was very successful. Seems like there is even a second volume. Wonders upon wonders.

This is the first CD I ripped with EAC/Lame. I use to rip my CDs with WMP/Fraunhofer. Sounds fine but I can't say it sounds better.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FAR CRY IV (Cliff Martinez)

It's good, but it needs to boiled down from 80 to about 40-50 minutes to work as a listening experience.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    NP: FAR CRY IV (Cliff Martinez)

It's good, but it needs to boiled down from 80 to about 40-50 minutes to work as a listening experience.

You don't say?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2015
    It usually isn't a problem for me with Martinez releases, but this one was overkill in terms of length.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2015 edited
    King Solomon's Mines - Jerry Goldsmith

Jerry in full-on action mode. This is pretty relentless, yet gripping stuff. Not sure I can listen to it all in one setting, though. "Forced Flight" is a definite highlight so far.
  2. Playing a selection of classic Glenn Miller tracks, probably featured in the soundtrack for The Glenn Miller Story and so posted here.

Fantastic!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Thor wrote
    David OC wrote

Isn't the film basically a poor man's ENEMY (by Denis Villeneuve)? I've heard such stories, but I haven't gotten around to it myself yet.

I'm dying to see Enemy; somehow, even on the back of the success of Prisoners, it inexplicably went straight to DVD here in Australia. As for The Double, it does ultimately fall apart in the third act but it's so brilliantly directed - and designed too with a lot of weird retro touches that I'd still defend it to the hilt. Andrew Hewitt isn't a name that I was in any way familiar with but he's written a superb score, and his director clearly wasn't afraid to put it front and centre in many scenes which is always a great, if sometimes novel, thing these days.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    No God, No Master - Nuno Malo

Only the fourth score I've heard from this composer, but it's bold and mostly compelling, if nothing we haven't heard before.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Mrs. Doubtfire - Howard Shore

Shore in light mode. Really very pretty music and the finale cue stuck with me years after having seen the film.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Mary Reilly - George Fenton

Remains one of his most complex and challenging scores. It's a brilliant work, no question, but not always an easy listen.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Batman - Danny Elfman

Everyone loves this but it's never grown on me and believe me, I've tried countless times. There's definitely some highlight cues in there I'm fond of but as a whole, it's just too much Elfman in one setting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    David OC wrote
    No God, No Master - Nuno Malo

Only the fourth score I've heard from this composer, but it's bold and mostly compelling, if nothing we haven't heard before.

This score is in my Top 10 list of 2014!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Josh B wrote
    Batman - Danny Elfman

Everyone loves this but it's never grown on me and believe me, I've tried countless times. There's definitely some highlight cues in there I'm fond of but as a whole, it's just too much Elfman in one setting.

You aren't alone Josh. My thoughts exactly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Playing a selection of classic Glenn Miller tracks, probably featured in the soundtrack for The Glenn Miller Story and so posted here.

Fantastic!

Was it the exact recordings featured in the film?

Better still, why not post this 'it isn't the soundtrack' in our Off Topic Now Playing thread.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh Timmer, you're SO strict!

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Playing a selection of classic Glenn Miller tracks, probably featured in the soundtrack for The Glenn Miller Story and so posted here.

Fantastic!

My very favourite Glenn Miller track (no, it's not In The Mood smile )

(I love the scene in the movie where they completely re-arrange it to some frivolous showgirl dance tune, much to Miller's dismay! (Well, in the film anyway: the whole film is as apocryphal as a biblical story!)).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MUSIC OF THE SPHERES - Mike Oldfield

Mike wrote one film score and much earlier had had one piece that became iconic used in an iconic film so this counts because it sounds like a film score, not only does it sound like a film score it sounds like a bloody good film score.

If this was a film score it would be near the very top of my favourites of the 00's. As it is it stands head and shoulders above the vast majority of film scores written this century.

I did it a few times on page 59-60

My arrogance knows no bounds.

Colour me strict. wink
  3. Timmer wrote
    Was it the exact recordings featured in the film?

I'm not sure. The cover says so but I don't know the film well enough to tell the difference.

Either way, it was a great little selection.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote

I have to agree with your choice Martijn. Many a time I play it 2-3 times in a row first "accompanying" the clarinet/saxophones and then repeating the song and now humming along to the brass parts.

shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

I have to agree with your choice Martijn. Many a time I play it 2-3 times in a row first "accompanying" the clarinet/saxophones and then repeating the song and now humming along to the brass parts.

shame

You nailed it. It really is one of those pieces. cool <--no shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GUNSHI KANBEE (Yugo Kanno)

I have no idea what this is other than that it was a Japanese television show that aired in 2014, but the music is excellent. Fullbodied, symphonic stuff that manages to be restrained and not just go all-out bombast (hear that, MONKEY KING and HOBBIT III?)
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote

I have no idea what this is other than that it was a Japanese television show that aired in 2014, but the music is excellent. Fullbodied, symphonic stuff that manages to be restrained and not just go all-out bombast...

Yes, this is an excellent score.

Here's a video of a close approximation of the main theme: http://youtu.be/oKsRUK8o1Sk

And a video of someone playing some of the themes on a theremin! http://youtu.be/bse2nd8cb44
  6. Thor wrote

I have no idea what this is other than that it was a Japanese television show that aired in 2014, but the music is excellent. Fullbodied, symphonic stuff that manages to be restrained and not just go all-out bombast (hear that, MONKEY KING and HOBBIT III?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunshi_Kanbei

I read somewhere that film music has to do with films it gets composed for. Seems that GUNSHI KANBEI is less action driven than HOBBIT III and MONKEY KING. Hence the difference. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Ain't nothing wrong with all-out bombast, you hear? angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor

That's interesting. I didn't even though what a Taiga drama was. I have a lot to learn about Japanese entertainment culture, it seems.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2015 edited
    I just order GUNSHI KANBEE! Can't wait to hear it.

NP: VELOCITY 2X - Joris de Man
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2015
    GUNSHI KANBEE

Which number is that and does it come with rice?