• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Scribe wrote
    There will be a pretty solid 1 hour album by the time this series is over.

Yep, exactly. Same with Game of Thrones. Individual standout moments among albums that are largely bores, both series.

It's a shame, really. The source material for both deserves so much more.

The new "Hanging Tree" choral piece is pretty interesting, probably a pretty moving scene in the film if I remember the source material correctly. It's very interesting to hear JNH doing a choral piece with English lyrics.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. That scene does work pretty well ('The Hanging Tree'). The one moment when the music really comes to the foreground in the film. He probably should have brought the theme back for the finale moments.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Rush Hans U2 Zimmer

Now this is just fun. One of Zimmer's best. cool

This is good though. I liked the film too.

One of my Ron Howard favourites, alongside with Apollo 13 and Frost/Nixon.

Some people may be shocked that A Beatiful Mind is not on the list, but that film is a bit too heavy-handed for me. The ending (including Horner's music) ruined the whole thing for me.

NP: A Beautiful Mind Closing Credits - James Horner

shocked confused

High pitched voice, drawling, British pronouciation: "Shocking."

Well, what's incredible on album can sometimes be distracting or inappropriate in film.

I don't mean the Closing Credits themselves, but the music that is featured in the film during the conclusion, including the Nobel prize (not much of a spoiler knowing Nash's biography, I hope).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    That scene does work pretty well ('The Hanging Tree'). The one moment when the music really comes to the foreground in the film. He probably should have brought the theme back for the finale moments.

Thematic development is not allowed in these films don't you know.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. It's certainly the feel I'm getting. The first one had a smidgen of it (the best directed of the lot for me so far). The second had more in the film than on the album, but more in the side characters than in the main plot (where it would have the most effect). Francis Lawrence is milquetoast with a movie camera.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Scribe wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    That scene does work pretty well ('The Hanging Tree'). The one moment when the music really comes to the foreground in the film. He probably should have brought the theme back for the finale moments.

Thematic development is not allowed in these films don't you know.

But the theme was not composed by JNH right? He did the orchestration and choir. Great piece though. It ended up in many music charts here in Belgium, in between all the commercial hits.
    Kazoo
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Francis Lawrence is milquetoast with a movie camera.

Yes, but at least he can hold it steady, unlike Gary Ross. vomit
  5. Yeah, ruins films for some people I hear. Whatever nausea they suffer from has never really bothered me, fortunately. (Except in Quantum of Solace -- truly a motion-illiterate director, but I reckon that's more the cutting of irrelevant close-ups together than the steadiness of the frame.)

NP: The Theory of Everything (Johann Johannsson)

Some gorgeous things here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Socom 3 - Jim Dooley

An enjoyable romp.
    It's from Remote Control land for sure but I really like Dooley's work here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2014
    Twilight Zone: The Movie Jerry

I've been listening to a lot of Williams lately, and although it only confirmed he is The King Of Kings, and my favourite composer in the history of the universe, JG comes in at an extremely close second.

Kick The Can is Goldsmith in his most magical and innocent mode. It's... just brilliant, and a brief glimpse into a universe where Goldsmith became Spielberg's composer of choice (as is the equally brilliant Poltergiest).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I've been listening to a lot of Williams lately, and although it only confirmed he is The King Of Kings, and my favourite composer in the history of the universe, JG comes in at an extremely close second.

Kick The Can is Goldsmith in his most magical and innocent mode. It's... just brilliant, and a brief glimpse into a universe where Goldsmith became Spielberg's composer of choice (as is the equally brilliant Poltergiest).

love, love both of those scores and yeah, Kick The Can is truly magical. I only saw Twilight Zone The Movie once which as I remember was a mixed bag ( a tragic and troubled production, Vic Morrow was beheaded on set and two young actors lost their lives when a helicopter stunt went wrong ) with the Nightmare at 30.000 feet being the best bit.

Have you seen it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2014 edited
    I've caught bits of it on TV years ago, but certainly nothing to even say 'I've sort of seen it'. It's among the many Goldsmith films I haven't seen. (But I also have such a personal connection to many of Goldsmith's scores as albums, I'm often not that inclined to see the movies in the first place.)

But I had no idea about the beheading and death story! Jeepers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    it caused quite a big stink at the time. I remember various reports coming out over the years, mostly in film magazines once newspapers lost interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Zone:_The_Movie

Scroll down to Helicopter Accident.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Been reviewing the 2014 scores I have in my collection... more specifically the ones I missed. There were two that caught my ear this morning that had me re-think the way I will be presenting my top scores of 2014 program. I've usually presented only 10 (or 11 in the event of a tie) scores but Jonny Greenwood's bizarre, Herrmannesque, hypnotic, kaleidoscopic score for INHERENT VICE and John Debney's dramatic score to STONEHEARST ASYLUM has transformed my annual "best of" program into a top 15 for the first time in 18 years.

Anyway, I'm playing INHERENT VICE again and I want you all to pay attention to THIS cue. Loving those Prokofievesque high register strings.

This is why I wait until the END of the year to do these lists!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Steven wrote

There are a couple of these questions. What if Goldsmith was available and Donner could stay with him on Superman? After The Omen Donner wanted to continue working with Jerry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Godzilla Alexandre Desplat

The most awesome score of 2014 (in the original sense of the word).
  7. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Sahara (Album), 1983 - Ennio Morricone
    Quartet

Well, this is awesome Morricone! Curious that this score never got my attention before. Never saw the film too.

Volker

It's great but I prefer his other score, Secret of The Sahara, in fact I far, far prefer it.

NP: Secret of the Sahara (1987) - Ennio Morricone

A second hand copy of this arrived this moring. I was totally unaware of this score till Timmer and Southall mentioned it a few days ago. What I have heard so far is georgious!

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    [wrong thread]
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2015 edited
    "The Pioneers of Movie Music: The Sounds of The American Silent Cinema" - Various Artists

Various pieces of "library music" recorded by the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra used in Capitol Theater films from 1912-1928. Functional Pieces such as "Creepy Creeps: Mysterioso", "Novelty Hurry (For Airplanes...)", "Storm Music" and "Agitato Drammatico", written by the likes of Erno Rapée & William Axt, Maurice Baron and J.S. Zamecnik are all brought together to give a sense of the music written 100 years ago for silent films.

http://paragonragtime.com/store/movie-music/

Thoroughly enjoyable.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. NP: Secret of the Sahara (1988) - Ennio Morricone

Lush melodic passages are mixed with avant-garde styled cues. Reminicent of MOSES THE LAWGIVER of 1975. Great score!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2015
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm playing INHERENT VICE again and I want you all to pay attention to THIS cue. Loving those Prokofievesque high register strings.

Wow! I really REALLY loved this and must check out that album.

I see what you mean about Prokofiev Erik but it reminds me much more of Finnish composer Einojuhani Rautavaara.
  9. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm playing INHERENT VICE again and I want you all to pay attention to THIS cue. Loving those Prokofievesque high register strings.

Wow! I really REALLY loved this and must check out that album.

I see what you mean about Prokofiev Erik but it reminds me much more of Finnish composer Einojuhani Rautavaara.

Great indeed. It has a distinct Golden Age vibe about it. Fitting, as the film draws inspiration from film noir / hard-boiled-detective films.
  10. "I Love Trouble"
    David Newman

To me the score is a little disjointed and the lifts of ideas from "Tommy Boy" is a little annoying.

Obviously the producers must have asked for a mimic of the jazzy dueling sax pieces from the rejected Bernstein score. They should have kept Elmer's superior effort; the theme is far stronger and memorable, it's got more meat when needed and it's just a better listen.

This is my final chance listen also for suite purposes. I don't want to waste my time with the whole score again (other than suite making), so anything good enough to cull from it better stick out.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  11. John Williams - Minority Report

Not to mention that last month I've been on a John Williams roll, this was a score I really delved into recently (next to The Lost World). I believe it's one of Williams' most underrated scores. The Herrmannesque atmosphere (though I believe only two cues - Spyders and Eye-Dentiscan could be treated as pure homages, in the first cue the brutal brass motif, in the second one the scherzo-like character of the beginning) is just amazing.

And with one short exception, the score works wonders in the really good film. The only criticism I have is the mini-fanfare at the end of Anderton's Great Escape being a bit too triumphant for that moment in the film. Even if it's supposed to work as a faux-climax, it doesn't just cut it, we're at midpoint and there are actually much darker developments to be realized.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I agree about "Anderton's Great Escape" It's all the wrong tone.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2015
    Yeah, very good point about Anderton's Great Escape. Still, on album (and up the point in the film where the 'fanfare' hits) it's superb. One of my favourite Williams action cues.
  12. I agree, though maybe it's a bit too strong at that point in film as well, though not sure (it's just such a difference of scope between Everybody Runs, or even Spyders, and this one).

Hans Zimmer - Interstellar

My second score of the year, after Minority Report. My second-favourite film score of last year. Though on a personal level, the most rewarding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    My second score of the year, after Minority Report. My second-favourite film score of last year.

Wat.

Edit: never mind, I read that as "My second favourite score of the year" face-palm-mt
  13. NP: STAR TREK Into Darkness (2013) - Michael Giacchino

The original CD augmented with a few cues from the de luxe edition.
    I generally like JJ-verse Trek without being the biggest fan. It's fun and a lot of eye candy but the stories leave much to be desired.
    This score for me is a pure fun ride.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2015
    Timmer wrote
    I only saw Twilight Zone The Movie once which as I remember was a mixed bag ( a tragic and troubled production, Vic Morrow was beheaded on set and two young actors lost their lives when a helicopter stunt went wrong ) with the Nightmare at 30.000 feet being the best bit.

I watched it t'other day as the accident story intrigued me.

I enjoyed it! Wonderfully 80s feel to it. I loved Joe Dante's cartoon house section, particularly when the kid summoned the cartoon. Very silly but quite sinister at the same time.

I didn't like Spielberg's sappy segment, even though musically it's my favourite bit (I think the cartoon house was probably the most interesting musical segment). Cut that bit out and you've got a decent 80s horror film.