• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2014
    NP : CONCERTO FOR OBOE AND STRINGS IN A MINOR - Ralph Vaughan Williams

One of my favourites. Sublime, beautiful work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. You are one stubborn Englishman. beer
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MUSIC OF THE SPHERES - Mike Oldfield

Mike wrote one film score and much earlier had had one piece that became iconic used in an iconic film so this counts because it sounds like a film score, not only does it sound like a film score it sounds like a bloody good film score.

If this was a film score it would be near the very top of my favourites of the 00's. As it is it stands head and shoulders above the vast majority of film scores written this century.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You'll upset the Germans by breaking all these rules.
  2. I heard it being used in some astonomy feature. It worked very well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm going to delete evey single post made in this thread today. angry

Oh yeah, and merry Christmas. :gringe:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
  3. NP: Interstellar (2014) - Hans Zimmer

Magnificent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The girls went off to bed so for the first time in about 15 years (other than excerpts of Christmasy ones for present-opening) I'm listening to a film score on Christmas Day. And it's that Christmas classic Sneakers, which always surprises me by just how brilliant it is. One of JH's best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And now I'm going to watch Star Wars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    And now I'm going to watch Star Wars.

A fine choice. I just watched Frozen with my parents. It was decent for an animated film. It was positively spectactular for a Disney film, but that just says more about my feelings on Disney than it says anything meaningful.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Mighty Joe Young Horner

Beautiful.
  5. A FAR OFF PLACE - James Horner

I had never heard this before the new expanded release, and I can sort of see why not many talk about it. Most of it is pretty uneventful (how can this possibly be a 1993 Horner score for a Disney film?!?), but then there's that end credits cue! What an incredible composition - up there with the best music Horner has ever written, imho. Those that already had this score and who are satisfied with the sound quality can skip this release, but I'm glad I picked it up, if only for that last track.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2014
    NP : THE DRAUGHTSMAN'S CONTRACT - Michael Nyman

:like:
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WHALE RIDER (Lisa Gerrard)

Beautiful textures, come to me!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    How to Train Your Dragon 2 - John Powell

This is in my opinion very good indeed. 2014 has been (in my opinion) a good year for my kind of film music. The best year (in my opinion) for my kind of film music in a long time. I'm trying to rank my favourite scores for IFMCA voting purposes and the fact that this one - which is absolutely brilliant - will only just break into the top five shows just how good (in my opinion) the year has been.
  6. I think you are putting this way too dogmatic. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    I think you are putting this way too dogmatic. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Stoner for the win! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

This is in my opinion very good indeed. 2014 has been (in my opinion) a good year for my kind of film music. The best year (in my opinion) for my kind of film music in a long time. I'm trying to rank my favourite scores for IFMCA voting purposes and the fact that this one - which is absolutely brilliant - will only just break into the top five shows just how good (in my opinion) the year has been.

No ACRONYMS. JTFAMYAG.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE VALLEY OF GWAGI - Jerome Moross

Great suite from Silva. A puzzling lack of main theme though?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Southall wrote

John Williams provides the best "score what you see" film score there's ever been.

Sorry, but that's fanboy nonsense. Like Korngold, Hermann, Rozsa, Waxman and others had never existed, like Williams was not standing on their shoulders when he wrote STAR WARS.

His leitmotiv-Wagnerian musical story telling is one possible way of scoring among others. What Shore does is technically quite coparable. If you like his music is up to you.

Volker

Southall wrote

Captain Future wrote

Captain, no it's not. It's not Southall's problem. Let me put this out 'cause you're getting on my nerves. You're full of bullshit and smug. Evert topic i open, you're in it. With long whining posts, every-fucking-where. Don't you have anything else to do? So shut the fuck up, please.

You're one the brightest examples of this new breed, the 'intellectual fanboy' that won't shut up. In the past, we had stupid fanboys like koko or Jordi or the princess, but you're the worst kind because you simply won't let go. You're sucking the fun out of this place, IN MY OPINION.. You're dictating others how to write or express themselves, for fuck's sake.

You and a couple of others, have taken the fun out of this board (for me) at least and i've been in it for years, i see it as a big family and had lots of great fun, until the fucking no-humor police arrived and we cannot express ourselves anymore. Whichever topic i open, i see you're bullcrap whining all over the place. Every single day, for various reasons. Because we don't like Shore or Hobbitses enough, because we don't understand your higher and intellectual tastes enough (you, Edmund and a couple of others, you know who you are, it all applies to you as well), because we expressed our opinions on some ways that touches your overly sensitive side, and therefore burst your whining all over us once again (wow, that's new), because you don't shut up and listen to others.

I don't care if i make you angry or touchy or whatever, if you want ban me out of the forum, i will understand it. If i could only make you to take a step back and think for a while, just let go, just don't comment on everything everyone says. Don't get insulted by the slightest thing against your touchy feelings and tastes, just shut the fuck up and listen to others. Let others express themselves the way they want to as well and don't block them all the time.

Let others have fun.

SHUT UP ALREADY.

You might even like it that way, who knows?

Sincerely, D
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Demetris wrote

Captain, no it's not. It's not Southall's problem. Let me put this out 'cause you're getting on my nerves. You're full of bullshit and smug. Evert topic i open, you're in it. With long whining posts, every-fucking-where. Don't you have anything else to do? So shut the fuck up, please.

You are aware, aren't you, that I ridiculed my own previous post here?

You're one the brightest examples of this new breed, the 'intellectual fanboy' that won't shut up. In the past, we had stupid fanboys like koko or Jordi or the princess, but you're the worst kind because you simply won't let go. You're sucking the fun out of this place, IN MY OPINION.. You're dictating others how to write or express themselves, for fuck's sake.

You and a couple of others, have taken the fun out of this board (for me) at least and i've been in it for years, i see it as a big family and had lots of great fun, until the fucking no-humor police arrived and we cannot express ourselves anymore. Whichever topic i open, i see you're bullcrap whining all over the place. Every single day, for various reasons. Because we don't like Shore or Hobbitses enough, because we don't understand your higher and intellectual tastes enough (you, Edmund and a couple of others, you know who you are, it all applies to you as well), because we expressed our opinions on some ways that touches your overly sensitive side, and therefore burst your whining all over us once again (wow, that's new), because you don't shut up and listen to others.

Yes, and Edmund and I are German too. Isn't that the real problem?
    I can't believe I'm famous for making particularly long posts. Do you confuse me with Pawel?

I don't care if i make you angry or touchy or whatever, if you want ban me out of the forum, i will understand it. If i could only make you to take a step back and think for a while, just let go, just don't comment on everything everyone says. Don't get insulted by the slightest thing against your touchy feelings and tastes, just shut the fuck up and listen to others. Let others express themselves the way they want to as well and don't block them all the time.

Let others have fun.

SHUT UP ALREADY.

You might even like it that way, who knows?

Sincerely, D

I'm afraid my higher intellect is not quite high enough to follow you.
    However, I have no intention to get anyone banned, but I will have my say when certain scores get - in my opinion - unduely idolized, even if it's STAR WARS.

Most sincerely, V.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, that de-escalated quickly. wink

Demetris, I think you're slightly overreacting. I don't feel that anyone dictates anything to anyone.
    We're very different individuals here. Some more level-headed, some more ironically inclined. Some more dramatically (a LOT more dramatically).

But I enjoy each and everyone's contribution here.
    In my opinion, of course.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote

I didn't think anyone cared enough what I say to let it affect them in any way, but I'm sorry if I contributed to this, it was not my intention, sometimes in the past I know I was overly sensitive but that was only due to my love of film music and this being one of the only places in the world where that's not a weird and unattractive thing...so to come hear and see the majority giving the impression that it's still weird to like a particular score, it's a feeling like being betrayed by your friends...but since then I have realized that it's really nothing personal if others don't like the exact same music that I do. There are so few of us in the first place that I would rather everyone be able to get along and feel comfortable saying whatever they feel, than to have people not post or not feel comfortable saying what they really meant. When Demetris "left" last time shortly after a post I wrote whining about MT becoming too much like FSM, I felt really sorry that I did that, I was in a bad place in my life and I should have kept my complaints to myself.

So, in short, please don't let me keep anyone anyway or make anyone uncomfortable to express their opinion even if it is negative about something I like.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. Let me be your common foe. Just remember, I'm doing this for all of you.

NP: conan the barbarian (basil poledouris)

This sucks. People would have to be stupid to like this. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2014 edited
    Jesus H. Christ. What in the hell just happened here? I mean, an all out verbal brawl and I'm not part of it? I'm insulted! wink

Welcome back, D. Yikes!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Season's greetings everyone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hey, 'tis the season to settle fundamental differences!