• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    And perhaps a little bit too traditional.

crazy crazy

There is no such thing. No really there isn't.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. My point exactly!
  2. Traditional or avant-garde - if it's well executed I'm happy either way.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. NP: STAR WARS (1977) - John Williams
    Arista/Fox

I believe this original score sometime gets overlooked a bit. There is the EMPIRE score that is a favourite for many fans and JEDI, that brings all these themes together. Still the original 1977 offers some of the most delicate and subtl compositions of the entire SW musical universe. There was an Emperial theme before the famous march for example.
    The material that describes Luke's home on Tatooine (edit), the farm, the encounter with Ben and the Force, the loss of his foster parents, it is so warm, so lovely, it gives so mush gravity to this world far out there. An elation as always.
  4. Tatooine smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Right! Dantooine was that former rebel base that Leia names to save Alderaan. I remember I found that confusing when I first saw that film some hundred years ago.
  6. Dantooine, too, was actually a former Rebel base as well.

I know they killed the canon, but a few days ago I found myself actually reading up on the whole Civil War, Rebellion, Empire, campaigns and so on. The way the universe was created, whatever we think of Lucas as a writer and director himself, is just impeccable, but what was once very inclusive got killed probably for Abrams' own sake...

It's particularly fascinating how the games filled in certain gaps from the original trilogy... three examples here.

X-Wing started with the operation Strike Fear, which led to a prestigious win for the Rebellion (first large-scale operation to destroy a Star Destroyer) and then concerned itself with what was called Operation Skyhook, which was actually finding out about the Death Star and eventually destroying it (X-Wing itself features the Trench Run, however canon-wise throughout the whole game you play as a guy called Keyan Farlander, but changing characters into Luke, to go with Canon, when the proper battle of Yavin happens). Dark Forces also kicks in here, as the first mission features Kyle Katarn getting the plans for the Death Star from an Imperial base. This all connects into the beginning of the first movie, where Leia has the plans on the Corvette (which called Tantive IV later, unless it was actually the novelization itself.

Then X-Wing went further, progressing the story from the post-Yavin Imperial offensive to actually finding the Hoth base. Dark Forces went out into a whole different story happening in the same timeframe - Katarn thwarts a project called the Dark Troopers.

TIE Fighter (an easier and better game than X-Wing, as I believe) takes a fascinating twist with having the player (as a pilot called Maarek Steele) joining the Imperial fleet. The story itself is very interesting, because while of course you do have to fight the Rebels (the first battle/campaign is dealing with Hoth) it mostly drifts away from the main Star Wars plot (Empire/Rebellion conflict) and deals with pirates and bringing Order to the Galaxy, so you deal with pirates, two treason plots (one thwarted quite quickly though, the first cutscene with Mon Mothma is a beauty though). As the game happens after Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy (which I do intend to re-read), it expands heavily on Thrawn's backstory, which is also great. Timeline-wise it takes place between the aftermath of Hoth to the prelude of Endor.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Dantooine, too, was actually a former Rebel base as well.

Yup. As I said.

For some reason I never had any interest in video games whatsoever, Star Wars or other. That whole genre just eludes me.
  8. NP: Superman - The Movie (1978) - John Williams
    FSM

I use to revisit these classic Williams scores around christmas. It has become a tradition over the years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2014 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I know they killed the canon,

Yes, now imagine being someone that had over 100 Star Wars novels on his shelf as a teenager and had studied timelines that summarize the events of every single novel, game, comic, and cereal box blurb which together made up what has to have been the largest, most detailed fictional universe ever created (blowing even Tolkien out of the water for scope if certainly not for quality). All that is "gone" now and it's quite a disrespect to the die-hard Star Wars fans who dedicated so much of their lives to puzzling out the EU. Luckily for Disney's bottom line, there's a lot fewer of me then there are casual people who will go see it just because it says Star Wars on the trailer and has lasers.
  9. I have a rather large sience fiction library but only 17 books are STAR WARS related
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Yes, now imagine being someone that had over 100 Star Wars novels on his shelf as a teenager and had studied timelines that summarize the events of every single novel, game, comic, and cereal box blurb which together made up what has to have been the largest, most detailed fictional universe ever created (blowing even Tolkien out of the water for scope if certainly not for quality). All that is "gone" now and it's quite a disrespect to the die-hard Star Wars fans who dedicated so much of their lives to puzzling out the EU. Luckily for Disney's bottom line, there's a lot fewer of me then there are casual people who will go see it just because it says Star Wars on the trailer and has lasers.

http://images.summitpost.org/original/922943.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Monkey King Christopher Young

I've never really enjoyed anything Young has written, and this is no exception.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Making Contact - Paul Gilreath

This needs an album release, a really good paraphrase of James Horner's early 80s sci-fi/drama sound.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    The Monkey King Christopher Young

I've never really enjoyed anything Young has written, and this is no exception.

WHAT?!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

http://images.summitpost.org/original/922943.jpg

Nope. I haven't really cared for years as the novels just kept getting worse and worse. Just vague sadness and an empty sense of futility. All those wasted hours.

and my poor bae Tahiri who is now lost in an alternate universe forever
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's only wasted hours if you didn't enjoy it. Nobody can take that away from you. Much like the sky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I guess there is no way to explain rationally why the end of canonicity matters, but it does. Maybe wasted is not exactly the right word though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well at least I learnt a new word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Well at least I learnt a new word.

"Rationally"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, I already know that's one of the streets in Harry Potter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    I guess there is no way to explain rationally why the end of canonicity matters, but it does. Maybe wasted is not exactly the right word though.

Relish the opportunity to start and learn an entirely NEW canon!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wouldn't know where to begin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Implying you only have one shot at it?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, it just takes a while for it to click.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That puts things into perspective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Perhaps we should focus on something else...

http://i.imgur.com/GAIjPbN.gif
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    At least I can forget about that unbelievably botched 9-book storyline about Jacen Solo (Han & Leia's son) turning Sith, in which a certain trio of writers turned fascinating genuine character development by one Matthew Stover (the likes of which Star Wars had never seen before...it was so good it was almost literature, calling the entire moral framework of Lucas' world into question) into an embarrassing mess that was neither entertaining nor believable. The storyline had potential. It wasn't the simplistic mirror of Anakin's fall that the description might suggest. They had a chance to create one of the most nuanced, complex, empathizable gray villains in all of sci-fi history. And through their apparent complete lack of ability to understand anything about human nature and motivations, they turned him into a bumbling idiot of a cackling walking stereotype of a villain. That, I was very butt-hurt about, and I'm glad it's no longer canon. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I usually couldn't care less about 'extended universe' stuff, it's the films I enjoy. But I recently read this comment on imgur:

"Lightsabers get their color from the focusing crystal. Sith lightsabers aren't red because their users are evil, they're red because their users are impatient. Crystals manufactured industrially always produce a red blade whereas crystals produced in an artisanal fashion can be any color at all. The Jedi train people to prefer artisanal crystals."

It's a sure fire way to repel girls (unless they're into that sort of thing), but I actually rather like this idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I also like the red lightsaber with the hilt. It looks freakin' cool. Screw the naysayers.