• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2014
    Unbroken Alexandre Desplat

There's an excellent 30-40 minutes in this one. Certainly the most uplifting music he's written this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2014
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - J.K. Goldsmith

Thanks to Timmer banging on about it, high time to revisit this masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2014
    Southall wrote

This score is being played again right here and now thanks to the power of suggestion (from reading these posts) and pure adoration for one of the finest film scores ever. Just plain brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not only one of the best scores ever, but one of the best sounding scores ever.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Southall wrote

I'm at early 80s Goldsmith right now, in fact (just made it through the exciting late 70s) and just about to get to The Final Conflict. Excited!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2014 edited
    What a score for such a mediocre film. Though it does have great photography, a few fine set pieces, great atmosphere and a very good cast, particularly Sam Neill.

If this score had been written at the beginning of the 00's it would still remain utterly unsurpassed to this moment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Not only one of the best scores ever, but one of the best sounding scores ever.

I'm guessing you were lucky and avoided the earlier releases with piss-poor sound quality.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Oh dear! I sadly remember that first Varese edition of The Final Conflict with its shockingly muddy mix.
    I recall playing it on vinyl and feeling overwhelmed with frustration. Twas rather hellish.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Oh dear! I sadly remember that first Varese edition of The Final Conflict with its shockingly muddy mix.
    I recall playing it on vinyl and feeling overwhelmed with frustration. Twas rather hellish.

I had never been so disappointed by a score I wanted so much as when I first got the Varese LP and played it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Len Engel. A mastering genius he was not!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. "Mission: Impossible" Now and Then

I thought I had tossed this, but I apparently still have it (I tried to trade it away, but nobody ever bit!). I decided to give it a re-evaluation. It has been probably ten years since I popped it in. I remember being disappointed. But I thought, surely I must be wrong about Schifrin's efforts on the disc.

The old GNP Records CD opens with the original theme, but the tape source is close to abysmol. It's like the track goes from stereo (or fake stereo) sound to mono from the left to the right channel back & forth the whole time to an unheard beat. You can litterally find clips of the theme on Youtube not just miles above this, but light years above it. It's bad. You litterally could have gotten a better recording of it with a tape recorder held to the TV speaker back then, and put that on CD.

Anyway, passed that ware selected cues from a handful of episodes, but only Schifrin's contributions.
    Aside from two or three cues I didn't care for (not bad, just not my taste), were get some excellent jazzy '60's/'70's television scoring. I can only hope that GNP does more than just Star Trek TV score remasteres, but also does this and does more scores from the show.

Now we move on to the next part of the disc -- selections from episodes of the 1988 series.

A few months ago I finally got fed up and wanted to know which episodes Ron Jones scored, since there was no listing online, so I found all the episodes loaded and went threw the end credits of all of them and submitted the full composer credits to IMDb, which they took. Three episodes scored by Schifrin, six by Jones, and the rest were done by John E. Davis. Only Davis' contributions are on the GNP disc.

Shocking. Terrible, dated even for that time, syth scores. Not a single track is worth hearing again. Whomever redid the main title, even managed to make it less appealing. Half the disc is garbage, in my opinion. I expected far, far better after a few months ago hearing his one score to "MacGyver". Who ever in production let this go on and kept approving it, really cheapened the show and brought it down notches. No wonder the series only lasted two seasons.

Finally, the disc closes with a suite composed by Schifrin and performed live. It's excellent. I remaster of that would be most welcomed.

However, determined to find out if Jones pulled the same synth garbage out of his hat, I decided to check out an episode on Youtube today (the only one loaded there; the rest were on dailymotion.com). And yes, he did it with synth (almost exclusively), too. There was one nice cue performed with orchestral during a magic show. I suspect he shock it up more than Davis did; I'll have to check out the other five episodes later. And both composers used themes from the original series. Coincidently, worth mentioning, so did Elfman on the first film score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    My ringtone is the 20th Century Fox Fanfare. smile

Mine is John Cage's 4′33″

I do not like talking on the phone. Text that shit, yo. slant

Great idea applause
  2. NP: Predator 2 - Alan Silvestri

One of the highlight releases of the year this one. Great to hear more of Silvestri's powerhouse of a score.

I am finding it a mixed blessing though. There's some great clarity in a lot of the tracks that brings out subtle orchestrations that were drowned out in the original album. But there's also some emphasis of specific parts of the original release (e.g., tribal vocals in tracks such as "Truly Dead") that are toned down in this new version. So, I think that it's worth keeping both versions.

And this version seems to have been mixed very loudly and there's a high level of treble that comes through in the strings making them quite shrill.

But, in saying that, it's a great release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I was a tad bit interested in this because of the improved sound quality, but from what you describe it isn't necessarily a step up.

Besides, the original has fine enough sound as it is and contains far superior programming for listening, so it's a definite pass for me.

Great score, though!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    I was a tad bit interested in this because of the improved sound quality, but from what you describe it isn't necessarily a step up.

I think that the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I suppose the loud mix can be taken care of with just turning the sound down and I am sure that the shrillness can be sorted out as well (not sure how I would take care of this when ripping tracks or on ripped tracks).

But, there's a lot of details that are now clear to hear compared with the previous version.

As I mentioned, the original version is definitely worth keeping (and that's partly because it's a version that I've become very accustomed to over the years.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Ghost Writer - Alex D

Very, very good.
  4. One of my favorite Desplat scores!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014
    Monkeybone - Anne Dudley

Listened to the solid but unspectacular Black Book earlier but this is far superior. Horrible first cue but then launches into a dazzling, mostly orchestral score. Full of busy, colourful orchestrations, the comedic aspects do occasionally weary a bit after a while but the full range of Dudley's compositional skills probably haven't been as explicitly on display before or since.
  5. NP: Captain Future (1980) - Christian Bruhn

The Japanese jazzy-funky score by YUJI OHNO is also very good, but the CD is expensive so I never aquired it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFopYYfpWaw

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. NP: Catpeople (1982) - Giorgio Moroder

I love the film, the score by Moroder and the song with David Bowie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Catpeople (1982) - Giorgio Moroder

Natassja love
  7. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Natassja love

Kinski love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Godzilla - Alexandre D

Love it. My favourite of 2014 (so far).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Natassja love

Kinski love

Natassja love
  8. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Natassja love

Kinski love

Natassja love

Natassja Kinski love Not her father of course. freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Godzilla - Alexandre D

Make that three of us!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Godzilla - Alexandre D

I can't say that something with such monochromatic emotion is my favorite, but it truly is incredible for what it is, and grew on me a ton.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. I've been listening to some 2014 scores lately.

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 - Powell

This remains my favorite score of the year. I doesn't reach the heights of its predecessor, but having seen the film now, I can see why.

THE HUNDRED FOOT JOURNEY - Rahman

This is quite good. I really like that the score musically reflects the dueling Indian and classical French cuisine at the heart of the film's story. It's fun to hear the score shift from what sounds very classical and European to very Indian, and that very seamlessly. This is probably my favorite Rahman score since COUPLE'S RETREAT.

CIVILIZATION: BEYOND EARTH - Geoff Knorr, et al.

If this had only been Knorr's contribution to the game it would have landed in my top 10 for the year. Some of the rest of it brings the album down as a whole for me, though Kirkhope's stuff was good, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014 edited
    christopher wrote
    CIVILIZATION: BEYOND EARTH - Geoff Knorr, et al.

If this had only been Knorr's contribution to the game it would have landed in my top 10 for the year. Some of the rest of it brings the album down as a whole for me, though Kirkhope's stuff was good, too.

I don't agree. I think all four composers bring something to the table and each composer's contribution helps round out the score (minus the ambient cues) It's my favourite video game score of the year and has been flip flopping with 5 other scores over the course of the past few weeks for title of best score of the year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. I'm glad you like it so much. But you can't say that Griffin Cohen's contribution helps round out the score if you don't like the ambient cues, since those cues represent the entirety of his contribution (or did he have one track that wasn't "ambient?").