• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2014
    Dang it, I edited my post instead of posting a separate post. I was responding to Thor's post and said something along the lines of, I don't mind when people don't connect with a score, that's none of my business, just please don't say things that are objectively false like it doesn't have any themes.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2014 edited
    60fps is the devil... unless you are filming a slow motion sequence! Absolutely the worst way to watch a feature film. I don't want to watch a $300 million dollar film look like cheap video.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Also, Erik, I remember you being pretty lukewarm on An Unexpected Journey but I seem to recall you were a lot more enthusiastic about Desolation of Smaug, to the point that you were debating putting it in your top 10 from that year even. What happened there? Did you decide you didn't like it much after all?

That was me trying to convince myself that it was better than it was. I made a much shorter playlist that was listenable but a great scores shouldn't just be listenable. Then I saw the film and my opinion of the score dropped even further.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    60fps is the devil... unless you are filming a slow motion sequence! Absolutely the worst way to watch a feature film. I don't want to watch a $300 million dollar film look like cheap video.

-Erik-

To me 60 fps (or even higher on my 120hz monitor!) makes it much more immersive and literally the only way I want to watch anything anymore. When I watch regular 24fps content it's just so choppy I can't stand it. I wish Hollywood had switched to higher frame rates decades ago so people wouldn't instinctively associate 24fps with a "cinematic" look and higher frame rates with "cheap video". If you think about it, there's no logical reason for this association, other than tradition and deep-seated brain associations (that I don't have because I grew up away from TV and film).
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    24fps is what makes film so magical. 30fps looks like dog shit... with sports being the exception. HOWEVER I'd rather watch an NFL Films produced highlights package filmed in 24fps than a crumby 30fps highlight reel. Just watch America's Game. One of the finest sport documentary series of all time. It's gorgeous... all shot on film with some of the most spectacular slo-motion shots I've ever seen.

24 fps is epic. It's cinematic. Actually, 24fps is part of the very definition of cinematic. 30fps will always look like "TV." I don't want my film to look like soap operas. It's not a superior frame rate at all. None of us at my production company has embraced it or ever will because we all think it looks like dog shit!

And I wish TV manufactures would do away with the 120Hz smooth motion refresh rate. What a terrible idea that was.

-Erik-
  1. The way I tend to think of it is that 24 fps is only natural because we're used to it. If you imagine a world where we've been watching 60 fps all along, a new film released in 24 fps would probably feel strangely stuttery and abstracted from detail. (Think of the way when we see 16-20 fps content from the silent era played back in its own framerate.)

Now you can't control the way you feel just by understanding where the impression comes from, but it seems to work for me. Maybe 60 fps won't feel like 80s BBC repeats when it becomes the lingua franca. (And perhaps on that day, the look of a film like PUBLIC ENEMIES might be seen for what it was rather than for the typical movie look that it wasn't.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. All is safely gathered in. smile

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbashdoq8fgot … c.JPG?dl=0

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wishin' and Hopin' - Matthew Llewellyn

A superb Christmas score. Best since Blizzard. Magical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

To me 60 fps (or even higher on my 120hz monitor!) makes it much more immersive and literally the only way I want to watch anything anymore. When I watch regular 24fps content it's just so choppy I can't stand it. I wish Hollywood had switched to higher frame rates decades ago so people wouldn't instinctively associate 24fps with a "cinematic" look and higher frame rates with "cheap video". If you think about it, there's no logical reason for this association, other than tradition and deep-seated brain associations (that I don't have because I grew up away from TV and film).

Agreed. It was the totally immersive aspect that made me love it in HOBBIT 1. The chance to almost put out my hand and touch the waterfalls and mountains. To almost BE in Rivendell or the Shire or whatever. Of course, you also lose some of the texture and 'filmatic' aspects of the LOTR films, but you acquire another form of film experience.

That being said, I do not want all films to be in this format.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

Too whimsical for my taste.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Homesman Marco Beltrami

I really want to like his western scores as I'm a fan of the genre and a fan of Beltrami's action scores. But I just find them so boring, and this is no exception. In fact, everything I've heard from Beltrami that isn't full on action music leaves me cold, like Snowpiercer for example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

It's Christmas you miserable Scrooge!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    The Homesman Marco Beltrami

I really want to like his western scores as I'm a fan of the genre and a fan of Beltrami's action scores. But I just find them so boring, and this is no exception. In fact, everything I've heard from Beltrami that isn't full on action music leaves me cold, like Snowpiercer for example.

Same here. Didn't care for this film or score at all. Nor SNOWPIERCER (both film and score).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

It's Christmas you miserable Scrooge!

Screw Christmas!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bit early for beer, Thor?
    Or are you still in Friday night mode?

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    This is Halloween, this is Halloween. Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween!
  3. Happy Chanukka! tongue
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Gagarin: The First In Space - George Kallis

Lovely, contemplative themes alternate with thunderous percussion and Cossack choirs.
    It's only to be expected that a great deal of the music is imbued with awe (Earth From Above, Levity) and heroism (the thunderous The Launch Of Vostok, People In The Streets), and as such there's not much innovative going on here (many video game scores offer similar musical ideas, and there certainly is some Remote Control influence here and there).

That said, the music succeeds in doing the ONE thing it's supposed to do: it pushes all the right emotional buttons and so properly gets the job done.
    A lovely score and a very well produced album that really offers an end to end narrative and musical experience.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED - John Barry

love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Gagarin: The First In Space - George Kallis

Lovely, contemplative themes alternate with thunderous percussion and Cossack choirs.
    It's only to be expected that a great deal of the music is imbued with awe (Earth From Above, Levity) and heroism (the thunderous The Launch Of Vostok, People In The Streets), and as such there's not much innovative going on here (many video game scores offer similar musical ideas, and there certainly is some Remote Control influence here and there).

That said, the music succeeds in doing the ONE thing it's supposed to do: it pushes all the right emotional buttons and so properly gets the job done.
    A lovely score and a very well produced album that really offers an end to end narrative and musical experience.

One of my favourite scores of last year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 (John Powell)

I'm fairly confident this is in my Top 10 scores of the year list. You see, I DO like big rambunctious orchestral music too these days -- not only weird, arthouse ambiance! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

Every kind of awesome.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Thor wrote
    NP: HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 (John Powell)

I'm fairly confident this is in my Top 10 scores of the year list. You see, I DO like big rambunctious orchestral music too these days -- not only weird, arthouse ambiance! smile

It's in my top 3!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's in my top 7.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Batman & Robin - Elliot Goldenthal

It's literally been years since I've listened to this and I've forgotten how good it is in terms of his overall work (and it's miles better than Batman Forever (even with the re-used material from the earlier score)). I hope it gets a proper release soon.

His Batman theme is just as good as Elfman's.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It isn't in my top 50. However, the awesome Final Conflict is in my top 50.
  5. it's in my top 1.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's in my top hat.