• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Rant over. slant

I'm not sure I'd class these scores as 'clever'. As franz once put it, "A is happening on screen, therefore A is happening in the music". That's not clever, that's just arduous. It becomes over-saturated with this wallpaper approach, even though I'm sure there are countless little themes and motifs weaving in and out of each cue.

This was fine for the Lord of the Rings scores on album, because the material was so much stronger. But these Hobbit scores, although I have been enjoying a select few tracks from the new one, seem to try to emulate the Rings scores without really elevating themselves as something worthy in addition to them. I can't help but feel I'd rather be listening to one of the Rings scores instead.
  1. When it comes to the plotting out of specific leitmotivic attribution, few of the composers you listed have ever touched Shore in Middle-earth mode. Even the Star Wars scores can't boast the hundreds (!) of recurring motifs that Shore has created.

Now, I'm not saying that the only way to make a score "rich" is to give it a ton of themes, or that more themes automatically makes a score better (or that I prefer the Hobbit scores to the Star Wars ones - that's only true of the sequels wink ). And I actually agree with you to a point that occasionally Shore's music in the Hobbit scores especially could do with being a little more direct - perhaps there's something to that "over-thought" argument. But for goodness' sakes, give me an over-thought score over an under-thought one any day of the week.

Incidentally, a lot of what you're saying reflects how I feel about Desplat's The Golden Compass, a score that's very rich in motifs, but which I think is too cerebral for its own good and very much lacking in emotional punch. But I still have a ton of respect for that score. I think it's fantastically written and I wish there were more scores like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) - Howard Shore

This is mind bogingly awsome.

biggrin biggrin

No comment. Spot on.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Steven wrote
    even though I'm sure there are countless little themes and motifs weaving in and out of each cue.

See, this is what I'm talking about. People are so dismissive of what Shore is doing with his motifs to the point of practically ignoring it.

Yes, I'm sure there's an argument to be made along the lines that if even film score fans aren't picking up on your thematic development, it might be a bit too subtle...but it's there. I can hear it. Why can't anyone else?? Am I going insane or something?! confused confused wall dizzy

What I like so much about Shore's approach is how he ties related motifs together. The Erebor, Thorin and House of Durin themes are all dwarf-related and are all therefore based around similar minor-third progressions and often flow into each other. The Bilbo themes from An Unexpected Journey (sadly unused in film and scrapped thereafter) are so impressive because of how perfectly they fit into the mold of the older hobbit/Shire themes while still being entirely fresh melodies. And then you've got those fantastic orchestrational choices like the gamelans for Smaug that give off a sinister, shimmery "golden" texture, or the "glowing" choral cluster for the Arkenstone. Yeah, okay, it's not some sort of subversive scoring-against-picture approach, but there's something about Shore's "literalness" that just gets to me.
  3. I would not say that the Ring scores have stronger material than the Hobbit. Clearly the structure of both is very different. The original Ring albums, with their clear cut thematic statements that are presented in suite form have a distinct air of film music about them. In that way they resemble the original Star Wars LPs. In fact I rank the Ring albums among the best produced film music albums ever.
    When I listen to the Hobbit albums I often get the feeling to listen to a contemporary symphony, something that Hans Werner Henze could have written.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    but it's there. I can hear it. Why can't anyone else?? Am I going insane or something?! confused confused wall dizzy

oHyiissssss
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Why can't anyone else?? Am I going insane or something?! confused confused wall dizzy

No, people are jaded and cynical and want their themes spoon-fed to them with flashing "NEW!!!!" labels or they don't like anything anymore. It's cool to not like things now.

What's happening with The Hobbit trilogy is exactly the same as people criticizing the last decade of JNH's work for not having the same overt bombastic melodiousness of the earlier part of his career. People go around saying there are no themes in works of his that clearly have if you bother to listen to them more than once before dismissing them. But most people don't care unless the themes are carefully arranged into a concert suite called "X Theme from Y". IMO JNH has actually become more mature and talented and interesting for being more subtle with his invoking of emotions, but most people point to the lack of entertaining themes in his work and accuse him of going through the motions to collect a paycheck.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) - Howard Shore

This is mind bogingly awsome.

biggrin biggrin

No comment. Spot on.

There you go. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The Bilbo themes from An Unexpected Journey (sadly unused in film and scrapped thereafter) are so impressive because of how perfectly they fit into the mold of the older hobbit/Shire themes while still being entirely fresh melodies.

Yes, this was genius theme development almost on the level of Williams Hedwig's Theme > A Window to the Past from HP and Emperor's Theme > Augie's Band from Starwars smile But apparently PJ and company are too dense to see the art they were gifted with.
  5. Scribe wrote
    What's happening with The Hobbit trilogy is exactly the same as people criticizing the last decade of JNH's work for not having the same overt bombastic melodiousness of the earlier part of his career. People go around saying there are no themes in works of his that clearly have if you bother to listen to them more than once before dismissing them. But most people don't care unless the themes are carefully arranged into a concert suite called "X Theme from Y". IMO JNH has actually become more mature and talented and interesting for being more subtle with his invoking of emotions, but most people point to the lack of entertaining themes in his work and accuse him of going through the motions to collect a paycheck.

The odd thing is, there, I sort of agree with both sides. I don't like the doom-and-gloom "we want the old JNH back, he hasn't done anything good in years" attitude much either, and I think he's done some fantastic stuff over the last decade, but I'd throw out all the Hunger Games scores put together to get just one Waterworld or Atlantis out of him - and I doubt we ever will. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Why can't anyone else?? Am I going insane or something?! confused confused wall dizzy

No, people are jaded and cynical and want their themes spoon-fed to them with flashing "NEW!!!!" labels or they don't like anything anymore. It's cool to not like things now.

That's a mindblowingly absurd and insulting thing to say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Apollo 13 - James Horner

This is an incredible piece of work, one of his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I would not say that the Ring scores have stronger material than the Hobbit.

You may be thinking of the wrong thing. I'm actually referring to the Lord of the Rings trilogy that came out between 2001 and 2003. (Directed by Peter Jackson, the same guy who made these filthy hobbitses films.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    That's a mindblowingly absurd and insulting thing to say.

Sorry, but so are some of the things that have been said about people who go to the trouble to analyze the themes in the Hobbit scores. The mocking of the jwfan motif chart, for example, gives exactly the impression that people want their themes spoon-fed to them rather than having to actually listen to the entire score analytically to learn and find them.
  6. I think there's a happy medium to be found. A really good score should have a few "anchor" moments of spoon-fed thematic awesomeness, but also reveal more subtle developments upon closer listening. I think the Lord of the Rings scores hit that happy medium almost perfectly. The Hobbit scores, less so, with an unfortunately diminished amount of those "anchor" moments...which is probably a big part of why so many people are shrugging them off. But the underlying intelligence is still there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'd throw out all the Hunger Games scores put together to get just one Waterworld or Atlantis out of him - and I doubt we ever will. sad

Maleficant?
  7. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

You may be thinking of the wrong thing. I'm actually referring to the Lord of the Rings trilogy that came out between 2001 and 2003. (Directed by Peter Jackson, the same guy who made these filthy hobbitses films.)

Then we refer to the same films. Thank you for clarifying that.
  8. Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'd throw out all the Hunger Games scores put together to get just one Waterworld or Atlantis out of him - and I doubt we ever will. sad

Maleficant?

Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Maleficant?

Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Then we refer to the same films. Thank you for clarifying that.

Crikey.
  9. Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Maleficant?

I don't think Maleficent is quite at the level of those two. I'd put it equal with The Postman or Hidalgo, though - good, very good even, but not amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I know it can be painful to hear a lot of negative comments about a score you personally care for, Edmund and Scribe. Believe me, I have my own examples in that category. But when something doesn't connect with you, it simply doesn't. To me, none of the HOBBIT films and scores have been particularly inspired (although I did like the first film, in particular, but that was mostly to do with the format experience in 3D HFR). If you asked Jackson or Shore about the degree of inspiration, they would probably answer in the affirmative, but I have my doubts, to be honest -- for a variety of reasons.

At some point, I might sit down and try to make a playlist of about, say, 50-60 minutes of ALL the HOBBIT scores combined, because that's about the amount of good material I think there is.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Destiny - Martin O'Donnell, Michael Salvatori, C. Paul Johnson and allegedly Paul McCartney (yeah right)

A very mixed bag - when it sounds like "The Last Array", it's great. When it sounds like "The Hive", it's pretty awful. Overall I think the bad slightly outweighs the good. Would have loved to hear Music of the Spheres rather than this glorified gamerip.

James, curious - is your four-star rating more for the album as is, or the album that could have been? I can only imagine it's the latter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    In other words - can I understand not loving the scores? Easily; tastes and all that. But so many people seem to outright dislike them or think they're not worth much. I'm sorry, but when there is so much effort, so much attention to detail, so much thought put into music, the least people can do is acknowledge that achievement.

Tons of effort, time, sweat, blood and tears is given to writing each and every score ever written... the good and bad. I'm sure Shore put quite a bit of time and effort into writing his Hobbit scores... I just don't like them.

The majority of the themes written for the series (not all of them) are overly simplistic as if Shore ran out of ideas. My God, there's even a theme which sounds like a shitty version of Debney's main theme from LAIR. Super annoying! I don't like the way he transitions from one theme to another during the course of the score - very abrupt cuts without any sort of smooth transition. Almost seems edited together in post. I don't like the "dead" music, which also plagues the complete recordings of the LOTR's trilogy. There is no need to score every damn second of the movie. John Williams did this with the Star Wars prequels as well. vomit I'm not a fan of the recordings either. Mushy, too much reverb. Gak!

I'll never spin The Hobbit scores ever again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It probably is, yes. I was opposite to you in that I thought the good (just) outweighed the bad. I thought it was pretty easy to trim it down to something really good though.
  11. Even the good parts I find a bit "static" - the orchestral action pieces, for example. They're exciting and have some great rhythmic flair, especially that Goldsmithian "Last Array" cue, but they don't feel like they're going anywhere (a frequent problem with scores from this medium). Same with the "wondrous" cues - they create a nice atmosphere, but there's no real buildup or structure to them, not much in the way of melody. I'd struggle to reach four stars even with a 45-minute playlist of the best stuff from this, I think.

And some of the bad stuff is really bad. Far worse than anything you'd hear on a Hobbit score. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Maleficant?

I don't think Maleficent is quite at the level of those two. I'd put it equal with The Postman or Hidalgo, though - good, very good even, but not amazing.

But what about the effort that went into it!
  12. Okay, Erik...I'll play. smile

Erik Woods wrote
    Tons of effort, time, sweat, blood and tears is given to writing each and every score ever written... the good and bad. I'm sure Shore put quite a bit of time and effort into writing his Hobbit scores... I just don't like them.

That's fair. I don't think the "but he worked so hard" argument is a strong one when debating the merits of music, so I'm sorry I resorted to it even indirectly. But I genuinely believe there's an intellectual density to these scores that is very hard to come by in (m)any of its contemporaries, and I can hear that in every single cue.

Erik Woods wrote
    The majority of the themes written for the series (not all of them) are overly simplistic as if Shore ran out of ideas. My God, there's even a theme which sounds like a shitty version of Debney's main theme from LAIR. Super annoying!

I agree, many of the themes themselves are melodically not very inspired. Heck, a lot of the themes from Lord of the Rings aren't all that great in and of themselves either. It's what Shore does with the themes that I find impressive.

Which theme sounds like Lair? I missed that. tongue

Erik Woods wrote
    I don't like the way he transitions from one theme to another during the course of the score - very abrupt cuts without any sort of smooth transition. Almost seems edited together in post.

This is a legitimate point. More thematic "intermingling" and counterpoint would have been appreciated. Personally, though, I don't find that it bothers me.

Erik Woods wrote
    I don't like the "dead" music, which also plagues the complete recordings of the LOTR's trilogy. There is no need to score every damn second of the movie. John Williams did this with the Star Wars prequels as well. vomit I'm not a fan of the recordings either. Mushy, too much reverb. Gak!

Well, these are all issues that the Lord of the Rings scores have, too. I find Shore's music oddly engaging even when it isn't really saying anything, simply because there's a sort of "weight" behind it. I'm not sure what it is. Probably I've just brainwashed myself with these books, films and scores too much. dizzy

Erik Woods wrote
    I'll never spin The Hobbit scores ever again.

A shame. Really, it is. Me, I'll enjoy them for years to come!

Also, Erik, I remember you being pretty lukewarm on An Unexpected Journey but I seem to recall you were a lot more enthusiastic about Desolation of Smaug, to the point that you were debating putting it in your top 10 from that year even. What happened there? Did you decide you didn't like it much after all?
  13. I'll miss this conversation this time next year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    I did like the first film....the format experience in 3D HFR).

Thank you! I am the biggest defender of HFR you will ever meet. I literally watch every single TV and movie I ever see in 60fps upconverted with the fantastic SVP Manager utility, I even spent hundreds of dollars upgrading my family's home theater PC so it will be able to run at 60fps too (please note, this is far better tech than the silly high frame rate LCD TVs you see in stores). I'm sure you are not as obsessive as me about this, Thor, but it's nice to see someone have something to say about the HFR release of The Hobbit that isn't saying how awful and fake it made the film look!