• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2014
    REEEEEEEEALLY? REEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Can somebody make a playlist that consists of the best bits of the three scores?

I'm thinking no longer than 45 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hey! That's my line! angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Allies - Philippe Jakko

Nice WW2 action score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Can somebody make a playlist that consists of the best bits of the three scores?

1. Erebor from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (1:20)

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    rolleyes
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Anthony wrote

I will, when I have the third score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

1. Erebor from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (1:20)

Enjoy!

-Erik-

Well, I thought it was funny biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It would be funny if Erik's view of the scores was an outlier, but I am frustrated that people who don't like these scores keep making them seem far worse than what they actually are, thus potentially keeping away new fans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Or lowering expectations, creating intrigue thus potentially giving a better experience. One could argue it either way. What a silly thing to say.
  1. Scribe wrote
    rolleyes

yeah slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Or lowering expectations, creating intrigue thus potentially giving a better experience. One could argue it either way. What a silly thing to say.

I can has rhymings? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2014 edited
    I just started listening to the Special Edition that is on Spotify (a regular edition does not exist???). See you again in 13 hours! I want to like it. Really. But it's so uninteresting... sad
    Kazoo
  2. NP: The Hobbit III - Battle of the Five Armies (2014) bow Howard Shore
    Special Edition

Intoxicating! IMHO utterly brilliant. I can't get enough of this music.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Bregt wrote
    A regular edition does not exist???

On CD it does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2014
    Well, I'm actually impressed with much of this score. It's very big n busy, too much so for many I'm sure, but the integration of all the themes are done well. I really do like this third Hobbit score!
  4. I think that the regular edition has only been released as a CD.

So, it seems that the version where you'd want the CD - Special Edition, including a booklet - is available on CD and digital. But where a lot of people would be quite happy with a digital release - not such a lavish booklet - you can only buy a CD.

It all smacks of the labels again making it difficult to buy the music the way the people want to buy it.

I suppose the regular edition will appear as a digital album at some point...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. I still completely fail to see what the point is of those "regular editions". Who wants to buy something that contains 90% of the music? Neither the completists nor the short-album crusaders will be interested. confused
  6. I have again bought both ... sheer collecting craziness I'm afraid. dizzy

Even so I agree with Edmund. I believe the "Unexpected Journey" standard edition contains a bold statement of the "Mountain Theme" that is not included in the special edition, wich is an insult really. I am not aware of any such thing in the sequel albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I still completely fail to see what the point is of those "regular editions". Who wants to buy something that contains 90% of the music? Neither the completists nor the short-album crusaders will be interested. confused
    `

I agree.

None of the HOBBIT scores have impressed me much in themselves, but perhaps I would have been more forgiving if I had received, say, a 50-60 minute program of each instead of having "regular" (sic) editions that run for two discs and 94 hours.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    Even so I agree with Edmund. I believe the "Unexpected Journey" standard edition contains a bold statement of the "Mountain Theme" that is not included in the special edition, wich is an insult really. I am not aware of any such thing in the sequel albums.

Yeah, that was completely messed up. crazy
  8. NP: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Howard Shore

Very similar to the other Hobbit scores: lots of themes and motifs that seem to be stitched together without much thought so that it doesn't really play as a coherent listen. This particular outing is, I think, the best of the three for me as there's a lot darker feel to it all. But, it still doesn't approach the original Lord of the Rings scores: these original scores had a lot of themes and motifs like The Hobbit but for Lord of the Rings, all the material seemed to be better linked together into a more enjoyable listening experience away from the films.

This aspect reminds me a lot of John Williams' original Star Wars trilogy scores: a lot more listenable because the cues sounded more like complete pieces rather than a whole load of ideas stitched together.

With The Battle of the Five Armies, whenever any reference is made to the themes from Lord of the Rings, I just wish I had put one of those scores on.

Another couple of comments: the Scottish influences of "Ironfoot" sound too far removed from Middle Earth. And I could only stomach 10-15 seconds of Billy Boyd's song.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR WARS THE JAR JAR MENACE - John Williams

By far the best of the squeekual scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Howard Shore

(...)

Another couple of comments: the Scottish influences of "Ironfoot" sound too far removed from Middle Earth. And I could only stomach 10-15 seconds of Billy Boyd's song.

I could have done without the bagpipes in "Ironfood" too. The song I find lovely. There are fantastic cues at the beginning and at the end of this album. In between the succession of action cues can become a bit tiring, but they are always great.
    As others here I would like to compile a playlist from these scores, something from 60-70 minutes. At the moment though I have not enough time on my hand for that.

Volker
  10. NP: Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - David Arnold

Oh, this reminds me of someone, I just can't put my finger on it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Michael Kamen? Marvin Hamlisch? Monty Norman!
  11. Monty Norman indeed. Arnold put the original theme all over the score. And of course this is one big homage to Barry. After all the experiments Eon did, this felt like coming home.
  12. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Howard Shore

I agree with all (certainly: most) of what you said; and some things you didn't say.

My initial thoughts:
    - oh my god, it goes on forever and ever and ever....
    - it's a musical quilt of themes and motifs. For me, it's too obviously 'mapped out'.
    - I was never a huge fan of LOTR, but I like hearing some of those themes popping up here.
    - jeez, it's STILL going on...
    - The Last Goodbye sounds like a poor variation on Into The West
    - It's good some really great moments, but...
    - ... it's sooo fecking long
    - shit, what, bagpipes!?
    - what? no grand finale?
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Four Feathers - Horner

I quite liked this at first but not as much as others seemed to. Needless to say, it has grown on me in the years since.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THREE TOUGH GUYS - Isaac Hayes

This is great. Funkayyyyy!!!!