• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2014
    Thor wrote
    NP: NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION (Various)

Way too early, but what the hell. The film is obligatory viewing each Christmas.

It's not way too early.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thor 2 Or Whatever Brian Tyler

Fuck it. This is fun.

I'm usually one who can kick back and not care about pleasures being guilty and derivative chord progressions and whatnot, but there's just something about this score that rubs me the wrong way in that respect.

Me too. <-- This from a guy who thinks Tyler's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is one of the very best scores of the year and the best Brian Tyler score ever! Go figure.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Soldier - Joel McNeely

One of the finest ever 30 minute CD's really in terms of pure entertainment. Perfect length and one of his best action scores to boot.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    After listening to a lot of his music recently, having what might actually be only my second ever listen to Graeme Revell's Dune score.
  1. How does it work on reflection?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    It's actually not too bad at all. Nothing particular memorable thematically speaking but it's holding my interest all the way. Been really enjoying his more orchestral based work lately and they're all holding up better than I remembered - Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Street Fighter, Hand That Rocks the Cradle, The Saint, parts of Assault on Precinct 13.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THELMA & LOUISE (Hans Zimmer)

A fantastic score. Some bits are very reminiscent of post-Waters Pink Floyd, especially the David Gilmour-like bluesy riffs.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Steven wrote
    No, just Allah so far. As-salamu alaykum.

Wa alaykumu s-salam smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorMWippel
    NP: Secret Weapons over Normandy - Michael Giacchino

Very entertaining!
  3. NP: Wishin' and Hopin' - Matthew Llewellyn

MovieScore Media's most recent release, this is an excellent album and is a nice balance between the dramatic and the comedic. Recommended.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: STAR WARS Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - John Williams

The 1993 Fox/Arista edit that - I believe - is identical to the original US double LP release that was never released in Europe and was hence a big collector's item hereabouts. We only had a singel LP edit that was later released on CD world wide.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: STAR WARS Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - John Williams

The 1993 Fox/Arista edit that - I believe - is identical to the original US double LP release that was never released in Europe and was hence a big collector's item hereabouts. We only had a singel LP edit that was later released on CD world wide.

Volker

I found the double LP in my local Woolworth's, I spotted it, bought it immediately and didn't even know until later that the regular release was a single LP. Still, a friend of mine ( more into Star Wars than film music ) didn't have any problems picking up the 2 LP days after me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2014
    Our Man Flint / In Like Flint - J Goldsmith

Much prefer the Intrada release of the original re-recorded albums to the release of the film recordings a few years ago. Fun scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Our Man Flint / In Like Flint - J Goldsmith

Much prefer the Intrada release of the original re-recorded albums to the release of the film recordings a few years ago. Fun scores.

No comparison IMO! The re-recorded albums are fabulous. I won't play the Varese ever again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Tom at the Farm - Gabriel Yared

This is brilliantly Herrmannesque in parts. Works a treat in the film too, the only one of Xavier Dolan's 5 thus far to use a score. 'Defigure' is now possibly my favourite Yared cue of all time!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote

This is brilliantly Herrmannesque in parts. Works a treat in the film too, the only one of Xavier Dolan's 5 thus far to use a score. 'Defigure' is now possibly my favourite Yared cue of all time!

I didn't know about this score, I'm checking it out on Spotify right now and liking it! beer
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Timmer wrote
    David OC wrote

I didn't know about this score, I'm checking it out on Spotify right now and liking it! beer

Nice one mate! Definitely the most interesting score he's done in recent times.

Now onto Kiss Me Softly by Patrick Doyle

Hard to believe this went unreleased for so long. A wonderful suspense score in which the main thematic material gets put a superb series of variations.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote
    Timmer wrote
    David OC wrote

Nice one mate! Definitely the most interesting score he's done in recent times.

Good recommendation. Really enjoying it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2014 edited
    David OC wrote

Well, Dolan always uses score, but mostly existing songs. LAURENCE ANYWAYS (his masterpiece so far) had some great original score too, however, by the artist Noia.

I saw Nolan's MOMMY yesterday, but I need to see TOM too before it's 'list time'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: STAR WARS Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - John Williams

It's not identical - the Arista uses a number of different sources and has a some assembly errors (flopped stereo channels on some cues for example). The 2LP features a very different mix and has never been released on CD in its entirety.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: APOLLO 13 (James Horner)

This is so damn good, it wasn't far from entering my alltime Top 50 list. It's definitely in my top 10 Horner list.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You better have a damn good top 50 not to include Apollo XII angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I do. When something is in, or close to, my Top 50, it's damn well one of the best soundtracks ever (out of the many thousands I've heard over the years)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good. That's what I suspected. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GRAND CANYON (James Newton Howard)

This is such a wonderful score with so many highlight tracks -- one of my JNH favs. It's just a shame that it's C&C, as the structure is confusing, some tracks that are merely perfunctory taking you out of it etc. Wish someone cleverer than me could make a decent album out of it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Have you tried rearranging it into the original 40-minute album order? I haven't because I don't like the music at all, but surely it would be a better listening experience.

Tracklist here:

http://soundtrackcollector.com/title/6781/Grand+Canyon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

This is such a wonderful score with so many highlight tracks -- one of my JNH favs. It's just a shame that it's C&C, as the structure is confusing, some tracks that are merely perfunctory taking you out of it etc. Wish someone cleverer than me could make a decent album out of it.

Then delete the perfunctory tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Have you tried rearranging it into the original 40-minute album order? I haven't because I don't like the music at all, but surely it would be a better listening experience.

Tracklist here:

http://soundtrackcollector.com/title/6781/Grand+Canyon

Damn, I forgot that this had an original score release (for some reason, I thought it was 90% songs). You're right.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2014
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

Then delete the perfunctory tracks.

He's not a record producer, you know. Geez.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2014
    I once took a class in creating playlists, but I flunked it. It was too damn difficult.