• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It was such a waste, too, 'cause Connery looked great as King Arthur.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2014
    yeah

World War Z Marco Beltrami

Some blistering (blistering!) action cues missing from the official album. Beltrami is one of the very best composers for modern action music. In fact, most everything else he's done bores me - except his action.
  2. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The Theory of Everything - Johann Johannsson

Hm. It's pretty and well-written, but other than the upbeat opening cue (love those flute accents) I'm finding it all a bit uninvolving. Very much like a mid-tier Desplat dramatic score, both in that regard and stylistically. If this picks up an Oscar nom (which it may well) I won't necessarily be rooting for it.

I love Johansson's work, and what you call 'uninvolving' is in fact the very thing I find involving about his work. This, however, is by far his most upbeat score. I you didn't care for this, you should steer away from MCCANNICK or his masterpiece (thus far) PRISONERS.

I feel he's very different from Desplat, whose style is usually very indifferent in my ears.

Yeah, pretty much everything I read about Prisoners indicated it wasn't a score for me. wink

Theory of Everything is a nice little score, don't get me wrong. But it feels like a pretty "standard" drama score - pleasant but not too memorable. And it's either got Desplat influence all over it or they're both drawing from the same prior influences (probably some minimalist guys who I don't know enough about). Actually, it reminds me of Korzeniowski in a few places as well. Precise rhythmic "dancing" with a lot of twinkly piano and percussion and light string ostinatos. Fine for what it is, but this sort of thing never really blows me away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Fair enough.

I love this stuff (except Desplat, which I would not put in the same company).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    A Simple Plan - Danny Elfman

Still ranks as one of his finest scores, a perfect fit for the film's bleak tone. As worthy and interesting as all 11 cues are, one stands out: 'Tracks in the Snow' is quite remarkable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2014 edited
    Robocop Basil Poledouris

I've always loved the theme, perhaps from when I was yay high, but it's only relatively recently the score itself has become one of my favourites.

Southall's remarks concerning this music in his review of the atrocious score to the remake have since stuck with me:

"It didn’t sound like anyone else. It sounded like it had been uniquely crafted for the movie RoboCop. It didn’t sound like it could have been written for any action thriller released in 1987 or the few years either side of it."

Bam.
  3. NP: Astérix, Le Domaine des Dieux - Philippe Rombi

A great, rousing orchestral score for this most recent animation. Looks like it's just a digital release (so far) but it's definitely worth checking out.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2014
    Taking Woodstock - Danny Elfman

So many brief cues - the fact that so many are decent makes it all the more frustrating they're not allowed to develop, especially 'In the Mud'. The lengthier last 4 tracks are fantastic though and worth the price of the CD alone.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER - David Whitaker

Superb orchestral fantasy score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Hans Zimmer - Interstellar

The CD came to me today (I'm not getting the Illuminated Star Projection thing, I think it'd be an overload). I love this score and it's, among Powell's How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Desplat's The Grand Budapest Hotel, my top 3 of this year's scores.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Interstellar - Hans

I like this an awful lot. Might it be the best thing he's ever written?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Interstellar Hans Zimmer

No, really. I am. Could do with a shorter running time, but this is good stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Interstellar - Hans

Far from it, IMO. But it's damn well one of the best scores of the year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MANIAC (Rob)

Fantastic, gorgeous synthpop!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Interstellar - Hans

Not so far from it. IMO. But there are some other scores that clearly surpass this one.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Thin Red Line and Inception are my Zimmer desert island discs. This has certainly joined them.
  6. NP: Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter / Generation War (2013) - Fabian Römer

A very fine TV score.
    This mini-series was awarded the International Emmy for best mini-series a few days ago, by whatever people this award is put forward.

Also nominated was the UK production An Adventure in Space and Time which apparently is about how Doctor Who came to be. Did anyone watch this show?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Interstellar - Hans

You combo breaker angry

Also, far from it? Nah. This is up there with his best.
  7. I would definitely put it up there with his best. THIN RED LINE's lofty place remains intact, but this is the closest he's come to displacing it as pure music from my POV.

He had a good year. INTERSTELLAR and AMAZING SPIDERMAN 2 -- hard to argue that composer isn't a creative force in Hollywood. They're two of the more interesting blockbuster scores of the year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There are at least 10 Zimmer soundtracks I would put before INTERSTELLAR (maybe more...haven't done a Zimmer list in a while). I think that says more about Zimmer's fantastic output, because I think INTERSTELLAR is spectacularly good.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    I would definitely put it up there with his best. THIN RED LINE's lofty place remains intact, but this is the closest he's come to displacing it as pure music from my POV.

He had a good year. INTERSTELLAR and AMAZING SPIDERMAN 2 -- hard to argue that composer isn't a creative force in Hollywood. They're two of the more interesting blockbuster scores of the year.

I think I'll be inclined to agree with that. Though I have to say Inception grew A LOT on me since it was released, I'm also a huge fan of things like Hannibal and Black Hawk Down and... many others, obviously biggrin

It's up there in his top scores.
  9. Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

It's also on the list, IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

It's also on the list, IMO.

At the very top for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Interstellar - Hans

Fantastic score. One of the years best for sure. One of Zimmer's best for sure. However, I have a hard time putting it above stuff like Backdraft, The Prince of Egypt, The Thin Red Line and Gladiator.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. I like Interstellar a lot but I enjoy Zimmer and his style in general the most when he (or whoever's copying him) is just having plain old tuneful badass fun. So something like this or The Thin Red Line or Inception (which seem to be his most popular scores hereabouts) are not ever likely to overtake, say, At Wirld's End or The Rock or King Arthur for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christ, I'd happily push all of those scores in front of a bus for a score like Inception. But maybe this is typical behaviour for non-Zimmer fans, we tend to like his less Zimmer-like scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Alright, let's just settle this once and for all by doing our Top 10 Zimmers with or without the INTERSTELLAR placement in the Zimmer thread.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I can't make ten and there's no point ordering them other than alphabetically, but the really strong ones for me are:

Inception
    Interstellar
    Thin Red Line
    Beyond Rangoon
    Lion King
  11. I really don't see what makes Inception so appealing to people who usually don't like Zimmer. I don't. It's got a few good cues, a lot of dull ones, and "Mombasa". Sure, it's been influential, and it has a certain unique atmosphere to it, but other than that I think it's pretty average. Looking at my Zimmer list now it's at #41 (out of 86 Zimmer scores that I own - some of which are more Zimmer than others, admittedly tongue ).

If we're doing a top 10, then for me that's

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
    2. King Arthur (guilty pleasure numero uno)
    3. The Prince of Egypt
    4. Gladiator
    5. The Rock (if you can count that as a Zimmer score)
    6. Angels and Demons
    7. The Last Samurai
    8. Beyond Rangoon
    9. A League of Their Own
    10. Backdraft
    11. (because The Rock didn't count) Radio Flyer

Resolutely Nolan and Malick-free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hey, let's take it to the Zimmer thread!
    I am extremely serious.