• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It's a great track overall but that little bit of electric guitar just feels out of place.
  2. 4 1/2
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. 4 1/4 tongue
  4. There you go!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2014 edited
    Une Nouvelle Amie - Phillipe Rombi

Finally a new Rombie score featuring Rombi doing what Rombie does best. Heartwrenchingly beautiful music smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    Really? Crikey. I think it's a superb action track. I do think Attack of the Clones is the weakest of the Star Wars scores, but I'd still give it 4 stars. I love it.

Great action track for sure but that guitar is vomit

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Really? Crikey. I think it's a superb action track. I do think Attack of the Clones is the weakest of the Star Wars scores, but I'd still give it 4 stars. I love it.

-Erik-

Does it bother you that there is a guitar at all or how it is applied? Williams used Synclavier and synth (ARP or something) in the original scores, so they aren't purely orchestral too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Aye, Sir!

NP: The Perfect Storm (2000) - James Horner

What about the electric guitars in this one? biggrin
  6. Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

Does it bother you that there is a guitar at all or how it is applied? Williams used Synclavier and synth (ARP or something) in the original scores, so they aren't purely orchestral too.

How it's applied. I have no inherent issues whatsoever with electric guitars (their use in The Perfect Storm, for example, is fantastic), but that little bit just sounds like someone derping around on one for a few seconds. It simply doesn't gel with the music around it. I don't want to say that Williams sounded somehow...uncomfortable using it, but there you go.
  7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz0egrNk83U

NP: Batman (1989) - Danny Elfman

The sound of the original album never struck me as being particularly bad. It certainly isn't bad enough to warrant 60€ for that new LLL set. Especially as I am not interested in an expanded Batman Returns

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The original BATMAN release is pretty much perfect, IMO. The 'spacey' sound fits with the gothic music. I have no idea how any of the subsequent three(?) releases fare in comparison, sound quality-wise.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: 2001 - A SPACE ODYSSEY (Alex North)

Certainly not cocktail lounge easy listening.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Nonsense Thunderer. A lovely lady, dim lights, candles and a quality wine with this playing in the background...
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

Is too!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2014 edited
    NP: NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION (Various)

Way too early, but what the hell. The film is obligatory viewing each Christmas.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor 2 Or Whatever Brian Tyler

Fuck it. This is fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE GIVER (Marco Beltrami)

Screw THE HOMESMAN. This is Beltrami's best score this year. Although, to be fair, it's not THAT good. But better than THE HOMESMAN. My logic is superior.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Steven wrote

Fuck it. This is fun.

I'm usually one who can kick back and not care about pleasures being guilty and derivative chord progressions and whatnot, but there's just something about this score that rubs me the wrong way in that respect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote

Fuck it. This is fun.

I'm usually one who can kick back and not care about pleasures being guilty and derivative chord progressions and whatnot, but there's just something about this score that rubs me the wrong way in that respect.

Yeah, I get that. I do. But look at it this way, I'm quite drunk. (Though not drunk enough to accept Jesus as my Lord and saviour. That's at least a few beers away.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE GIVER (Marco Beltrami)

Screw THE HOMESMAN. This is Beltrami's best score this year. Although, to be fair, it's not THAT good. But better than THE HOMESMAN. My logic is superior.

Fuck off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Die Hard 4 Or Whatever is my second favourite Beltrami score, my first being Die Hard 5 Or Whatever Fuck You. I don't really get on that well with his western scores, as much as I've tried.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Has the spirit of our Lord Jesus Christ passed through you yet?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, just Allah so far. As-salamu alaykum.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    All is well then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2014
    The Betsy - John B[spoiler]arry[/spoiler]

This is really good. I liked but didn't love Mister Moses. I love this.
  9. Steven wrote
    Die Hard 4 Or Whatever is my second favourite Beltrami score, my first being Die Hard 5 Or Whatever Fuck You. I don't really get on that well with his western scores, as much as I've tried.

I haven't heard the fourth, but the fifth is an underrated near-masterpiece of modern action scoring and is quite handily my favorite Beltrami score so far. I do have to wonder how much of it was done with additional composers, though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2014
    Southall wrote
    The Betsy - John B[spoiler]arry[/spoiler]

This is really good. I liked but didn't love Mister Moses. I love this.

I agree! As much as I appreciate the effort put into releasing Mister Moses and as a huge John B[spoiler]arry[/spoiler] fan am more than happy to have it, I just don't quite get the reason for putting the effort into releasing it? Great theme, some nice tribally rhythms an that but not much else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2014 edited
    NP: War Thunder: Ground Forces - Jeremy Soule, Georgy Zheryakov & Zakhar Antonov

2014 has been a great year for videogame music and this could be another very good score. Perhaps not as wide in scope as many of the top titles this year, but it's a good solid martial score. Someone's uploaded the whole album some time back but it's only recently appeared on Amazon:

http://youtu.be/WWTfUk4tqBU?list=PLpAe6 … u2tFRrWIdc
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz0egrNk83U

NP: Batman (1989) - Danny Elfman

The sound of the original album never struck me as being particularly bad. It certainly isn't bad enough to warrant 60€ for that new LLL set.

Shawn Murphy did heroic work on the original album. Apparently Eric Tomlinson's original live mix was pants. The first edition of the La La Land Batman release sounded... ummm... odd. Really bad source material. I'm looking forward to hearing the "new" mix and seeing the MUCH improved art work. David Fein's artwork for La La Land's Batman and Batman Returns left much to be desired.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!