• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2014
    Thor wrote
    I do. When something is in, or close to, my Top 50, it's damn well one of the best soundtracks ever (out of the many thousands I've heard over the years)!

FACT!

Me too!! And many others here too no doubt.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Michel Legrand

Brilliant! Truly brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I once took a class in creating playlists, but I flunked it. It was too damn difficult.

Playlist ≠ Album.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Steven wrote
    I once took a class in creating playlists, but I flunked it. It was too damn difficult.

Well no wonder. It takes thousands upon thousands of hours of blood, sweat and steel before you are considered sufficiently trained to enter the Most High Order of the Professional Album Producers. They don't just let anyone do it, you know!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2014 edited
    When I read comments like that of Steven and Edmund, I feel a bit like the early supporters of film must have done in the late 1800s and early 1900s when they tried to communicate the art of the medium to a people who only perceived it as cheap 'laughs and gimmicks' at fairs and vaudeville shows.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're a true maverick, Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, you inspire me.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Civilization: Beyond Earth - Geoff Knorr, Grant Kirkhope, Michael Curran and Griffin Cohen

Toss out the watching-paint-dry Cohen stuff and you've got an almost-two-hour album of pure bliss: spacey wonder, tracks that just when you think they can't get even bigger, do, cello solos par excellence, power anthems done right, all that good stuff. I don't know who the heck Geoff Knorr is but I'll definitely be seeking out anything with his name on it in the future. Erik, you were spot-on about this one - best game score of the year.

Not better than How to Train Your Dragon 2, though. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Geoff Knorr -- a rather funny name. I keep thinking of soup, for some reason.

But a good composer.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Thor wrote
    When I read comments like that of Steven and Edmund, I feel a bit like the early supporters of film must have done in the late 1800s and early 1900s when they tried to communicate the art of the medium to a people who only perceived it as cheap 'laughs and gimmicks' at fairs and vaudeville shows.

So anyone creating a playlist is treating film music as 'cheap laughs and gimmicks'? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2014 edited
    Jim Ware wrote
    Thor wrote

So anyone creating a playlist is treating film music as 'cheap laughs and gimmicks'? confused

Ha, ha....no, it was more about not viewing album production as an artform (suggesting that the creation of a personal playlist equals the creation of a conceptual album), just as those early folks didn't perceive film as a legitimate artform. It seems to be a somewhat unfortunate trend that has appeared in this digital age of ours.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote

I'm out of it for a little bit and everyone gets delusions of grandeur. :harrisonfordvoice:
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WAVELENGTH (Tangerine Dream)

cool
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Interstellar - HZ

Very good. One of the year's best and one of Zimmer's best.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Interstellar - HZ

For me this is probably the most enjoyable score of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2014 edited
    THE IMITATION GAME | desplat

I really like this one. The main theme is very Desplat-like, reminding me of his earlier "Hollywood" scores. The last track, Turing's Legacy, is one of the best tracks of 2014. There's something about the busy "computer" music (the low but fast-paced, electronic? music) that is really attractive. What a bunch of really good music he has written again this year. I'm sure he'll win the World Soundtrack Awards.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2014
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Howard Shore

Finally writing my review of this, just in time for everyone else to write their reviews of the third one.
  4. Southall wrote
    Interstellar - HZ

The most heavily marketed score since The Dark Knight Returns and Inception.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I would say it's the most heavily marketed film score in my memory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Howard Shore - The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (DeLuxe)

My copy arrived early today, so I just finished disc 1.

Picking up right where The Desolation of Smaug ended, you'd be forgiven to double check if you really started with disc 1, and didn't mistakenly put in the second one first. So yes, opening track Fire and Water could've easily ended the previous score, resuming Smaug's menacing battle music, and it's setting the tone for much of this first disc. With its dark and heavy orchestra, it's a bit ironic Shore himself emphasizes in the booklet that The Hobbit is first and foremost conceived as a children's tale, sometimes coming awesomely close to his heavy brass from The Cell.

But it's far from the bleak, 'colorless' doom and gloom of The Hobbit 2. While many decried that previous score lack of thematic development, building it up slowly, this is just wall-to-wall thematic awesomeness, with at least 90% of the music representing a theme either from The Hobbit series or returning from the original trilogy (mostly Smaug, Lake Town themes and the elves in bad-ass variations, but also a return of the In Dreams theme from Fellowship), with many performances of the choir to liven things up and restore Middle Earth's fantastical sound.

For those hoping this score to return to the sound of the original Lord of the Rings style, there's much to love here, but it's still very much its own adventure. So still no vocal soloists (even though the male-only, female-only and full on choirey goodness all have their moments for diversity), and the presented tracks are are once again of the film version kind instead of nice concert suite structures we got from the original trilogy albums. But right before the end of disc 1, finally a moment of grand, awesome beauty that's been lacking here for quite a while. For a hardcore fan of Howard Shore's Middle Earth music, that was pure bliss and exactly the kind of moment I was hoping to get one last time before it all ended. Brief, though, so let's hope this is representative for the second half.

And now, for the grande finale, Disc 2...
  5. That sounds promising! Amazon sent my copy on its way today and it will hopefully arrive Monday.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. Captain Future wrote
    That sounds promising! Amazon sent my copy on its way today and it will hopefully arrive Monday.

Volker

Same here.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I listened to The Hobbit 3 the other day. I'll keep things rather short unlike the lethargic listen the album is.

The score is functional for the most part. None of the themes from the Hobbit series really interests me especially that awful theme for Gandalf which sounds like a bastardized version of the main theme from LAIR. There's some exciting action music but for the most part the orchestrations are rather bland.

However, I did like Shore's eerie string variation of Smaug's motif and the old LOTR themes are a nice welcome.

I haves zero interest in ever returning to these series of scores, which have been nothing but an utter disappointment.

-Erik-!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    ... Disc 2

Both delighted and slightly disappointed by its conclusion.

Yes, even more returning themes from The Lord of the Rings, mainly the Hobbit material obviously, and more choir backing to the orchestral battle music, but instead of ending with grand thematic statements, it simply slips into the Hobbiton themes towards the end (and one final appearance of the Ring theme) before Billy gets to sing his farewell song (lovely, but it's still weird to me Shore had no involvement in any of these closing songs, and once again it shows - although less so than with the previous scores, this one reminding a bit of Annie Lennox closer to Return of the King in orchestration).

In general, this third score from this trilogy could be summed up as one major action cue, with its only variation moments of contemplation in between with returning themes in solo performances. And yes, this means less of a narrative than just A Main Event stretched out over its duration, with little real emotional weight. As such, you will find little standout moments to return to later, instead being one big symphony of its own (once again due to the lack of a concert suite kind of presentation, it simply thunders along).

This is very much a continuation of the second score, weirdly ignoring any of the themes set up in An Unexpected Journey. And while the original trilogy had a flawless balance in its thematic development, each film with its own sound, identity and unique themes, here this is clearly not as thought out. It wasn't untill the final track, Ironfoot, that I really got the hang of this new theme, similar to Beyond the Woods with the previous score.

But ultimately, this isn't a reworking of The Lord of the Rings. It's its own trilogy, and it's great to have this different take on Shore's middle earth music to appreciate on its own. Even though it will never rival its big brother.
  7. I suppose the reason for these 3 films not having their own distinctive feel is that they are all part of 1 book.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    You could say The Lord of the Rings is supposed to be one book too, but Peter Jackson still managed them to be wildly different wink. He also shifted with events between the books and films a bit for a better fit.

I think the main reason here is the fact these films were originally constructed to be two films, and it really shows. With An Unexpected Journey having a completely different feel (and sound) as opposed to parts 2 and 3, you can see how these films were originally conceived as two films with each its own identity. To have it this way is breaking up the balance. I think the break between Smaug and Battle is just weird, ending on such a cliffhanger, and feels forced (also in terms of musical storytelling: score 2 represents too much buildup, while 3 is too much battle - but people will complain less over this third one since the orchestra and choir get a much more heavy workout).

This second trilogy is, in all respects, just a victim of its own success. Which doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the final result, but I'm convinced it would've been a lot better in its original two-part form. I'm sure someone down the line will edit soundtrack versions for these films as if it were two motion pictures, and this might be the perfect representation of this story. Heck, I might just do it myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I suppose the reason for these 3 films not having their own distinctive feel is that they are all part of 1 book.

As are the three Rings scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies - Shore

Hmm.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2014
    Hobbit 3- Howard Shore

Still listening to this but "Fire and Water" is a stupendous opening track, perhaps one of Shore's best action cues.