• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: STAR WARS Episode II Attack of the Clones (2002) - John Williams

Underrated. IMHO. An e-guitar to illustrate the Coruscant underground. How cool is that? love

Volker

Actually, the guitar was Zam's motif, which thankfully was dialed out of the film as "her" ship sounded like a guitar as well, which I think was an awful idea. Why? Because the Star Wars universe is full of sounds that you can't quite pinpoint as to what they are. I mean, elephants are TIE Fighters yet you'd never know it unless someone told you. Making Zam's ship sound so obvious was yet another lazy decision made by Ben Burtt on the prequels.

-Erik-

PS - Besides a few stand out cues, AOTC is not very good!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2014
    NP : INTERSTELLAR - Hans Zimmer

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALIENS - James Horner

Proper awesome!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Wing Commander (1999) - David Arnord & Kevin Kiner

Arnold's main theme is splendour and glory. Kiner does a good enough job channeling Arnold that the result is a pleasant space opera version of ID4.
    The film is terrible. It lifts heavily from Battlestar Galactica. Larson later joined the producers in order to do an actual BG film. This film never happened. (Same as the later Bryan Singer attempt.)
    Ironically the BG series that did happen carried over some design elements from Wing Commander. Everything is connected to everything and everyone in Hollywood.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Interstellar (2014) - Hans Zimmer

This just gets more awsome with every listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Spielberg-Williams Collaboration John Williams & The Boston Pops

Instant John Williams hit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2014

I'm never not in the mood for this score. The litmus test for a 'favourite score' if ever there was one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I'm never not in the mood for this score. The litmus test for a 'favourite score' if ever there was one.

Not as brilliant as his much earlier works, not by a long way IMO, but still bloody brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Exactly.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Giving Interstellar a shot. I don't like Zimmer as a general rule so that might be futile. We'll see.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Not as brilliant as his much earlier works, not by a long way IMO, but still bloody brilliant.

Up there with the best he's ever done IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Quite the contrary, I think it's best thing he's ever done. One of the few times Steven and I agree on something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2014 edited
    Weeeeeell, not quite. I'm tentative to say it's the best thing he's ever done - it may be, it may not be. But it's up there with my No.1 favourite Horner scores, that much is certain. (Oddly enough, many of your favourite scores are my favourite scores too.)

Wait. Uh oh.
    I feel something. Yep.

I think...I think it's a list...I feel a list coming on...

fireworks TOP FIVE JAMES HORNER SCORES fireworks

Balto
    The Perfect Storm
    The Rocketeer
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

All Números Unos, hence its alphabetical order. (I could name a couple more, but this goes against the rules of lists. And we take lists very seriously around here.)
  4. I don't know Balto at all. I have to revisit The Perfect Storm. I don't remember it as being that good.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS
    BRAVEHEART
    ALIENS
    TITANIC

So it appears that -- outside of AVATAR -- our Horner favourites are quite different. That's a relief.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    I don't know Balto at all. I have to revisit The Perfect Storm. I don't remember it as being that good.

Volker

It has a dog in it. Steven likes dogs.

My top 5...

STAR TREK II & III ( yeah yeah, so what! )
    KRULL
    BRAVEHEART
    ALIENS
    A BEAUTIFUL MIND

On any other given day the bottom three slots could be taken by The Perfect Storm, Brainstorm, Cocoon, Avatar...
  5. Oh, well:

1. Titanic
    2. Avatar
    3. The New World
    4. Willow
    5. Star Trek Khansearch
    6. The Amazing Spider-Man
    7. Braveheart
    8. The Name of the Rose
    9. Caspar
    10. Legends of the Fall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I don't know Balto at all. I have to revisit The Perfect Storm. I don't remember it as being that good.

Jesus... That hurt to read.

Revisit it. Now.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Absolutely stunning score. Call yourself a Captain? Pah! rolleyes
  6. Timmer wrote

Steven likes dogs.

So dogs fare better with him as kids? As long as he doesn't put kids on the leash. wink
  7. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Jesus... That hurt to read.

Revisit it. Now.

Aye, Sir!

NP: The Perfect Storm (2000) - James Horner
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Interstellar - Hans Zimmer

Effective. This is a sound I don't think I've heard from the composer and yet, it's still very much Zimmer. This'll need several more listens.

Logan's Run - Jerry Goldsmith

Very much a score of its time and yet, who would be so daring today to write something like this? Some of my favorite Goldsmith cues are in its second half.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I can only do this in alphabetical order. Top five are

Star Trek 2
    Krull
    Legends of the Fall
    Glory
    Brainstorm
    Cocoon
    Apollo 13
    Rocketeer
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    NP: The Homesman - Marco Beltrami

Unique. Unconventional. May be my favourite score of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Christmas Dragon - James Schafer

I have no idea who this composer is but he puts out some bloody brilliant action music here.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jim Ware wrote
    NP: The Homesman - Marco Beltrami

Unique. Unconventional. May be my favourite score of the year.

I can't wait to see the film. By itself the music is so evocative. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Didn't care much for the music, I'm afraid, and I thought the film was very disappointing for a variety of reasons. Beltrami's best score this year is THE GIVER (although that was a film with problems too).
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Captain Future wrote
    NP: STAR WARS Episode II Attack of the Clones (2002) - John Williams

Underrated. IMHO. An e-guitar to illustrate the Coruscant underground. How cool is that? love

Volker

A cool idea but I don't think Williams executed it well at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Really? Crikey. I think it's a superb action track. I do think Attack of the Clones is the weakest of the Star Wars scores, but I'd still give it 4 stars. I love it.