• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2014
    BTW, what is Half In The Bag? Not seen it. Want to see it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    screw the bag.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    BTW, what is Half In The Bag? Not seen it. Want to see it.

It's excellent. The same people who made those Star Wars reviews. There's also another show called Best of the Worse where they watch and discuss awful films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...it's better than I make it sound.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    On youtube?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Peggy Sue Got Married - John Barry

Gorgeous

Still waiting for mine. slant
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Predator 2 (The Deluxe Edition) - Alan Silvestri

shocked

Start to finish... this one is SUBLIME! Great release, Varese!

-Erik-

Come on Postie, Santa or whoever, just get my copy to me quickly!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    On youtube?

On the youtubes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Steven wrote
    I like the main theme, but the score is very irritating in the film. John Barry and sci-fi do not go well together.

I completely disagree. Barry's Black Hole (and, to some degree, Moonraker) score(s) defined "dark SciFi scoring" for me back in the days. I think they create a terrific sense of scale and foreboding I've never ever again experienced in a SciFi movie.

Yes, that overture theme doesn't fit a bit, but it's still a part of the whole experience for me, since I was there when they actually used it the way it was intended, as an overture before the curtains opened. I had never had an overture before, so that went well with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Yeah, it's the Interstellar/Black Hole review you might want to avoid if you don't want to hear Barry's score get bagged Tim. Or you may like to check it out just out of morbid curiosity. Also, there is usually a story thread between Half In The Bag episodes. That's why it may not make sense when episodes are watched randomly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The story part will seem random if you watch them randomly, but it doesn't matter too much as the bulk of it is movie reviews and discussion. I tend to agree with them a lot, although some of their recommendations have left me a little cold (like Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Enemy'. Boring is shite.) But they often have some very insightful comments on movies, particularly when reviewing bad films like Pain & Gain.

Or better yet, Thor would hate it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Yeah, it's the Interstellar/Black Hole review you might want to avoid if you don't want to hear Barry's score get bagged Tim. Or you may like to check it out just out of morbid curiosity. Also, there is usually a story thread between Half In The Bag episodes. That's why it may not make sense when episodes are watched randomly.

I not that bothered by other peoples views and I'm not thin skinned. I shall check it out and probably return here purpled apoplectic with indignity.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    On youtube?

On the youtubes!

Cheers beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote

I not that bothered by other peoples views and I'm not thin skinned.

I'll give it my best shot.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote

I not that bothered by other peoples views and I'm not thin skinned.

I'll give it my best shot.

Well, he was spot on! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Yeah, it's the Interstellar/Black Hole review you might want to avoid if you don't want to hear Barry's score get bagged Tim.

I just watched it. A pair of assholes with opinions. Just the same as all of us. wink

I agreed in part, that theme is repetitive but it doesn't define the whole film. Also the film is from 1979 not early 80's, these boys need to do their homework more accurately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Just the same as all of us. wink

Just the same as SOME of us!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    Yeah, it's the Interstellar/Black Hole review you might want to avoid if you don't want to hear Barry's score get bagged Tim.

I just watched it. A pair of assholes with opinions. Just the same as all of us. wink

I agreed in part, that theme is repetitive but it doesn't define the whole film. Also the film is from 1979 not early 80's, these boys need to do their homework more accurately.

Yeah, it bugged me when they were guessing "1980?". It was 79! I was there man!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Just the same as all of us. wink

Just the same as SOME of us!

Some of us don't have assholes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    While all of us may have, only some of us are. Of those we can only hope a number might have been and are no longer, although aving had would entail medical problems beyond reckoning. Such as they are.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote

Yeah, it bugged me when they were guessing "1980?". It was 79! I was there man!

They almost never get their dates right!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    They should get off Tinder then.
  2. Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall

The deluxe edition finally on CD. Great to own this masterpiece!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall

The deluxe edition finally on CD. Great to own this masterpiece!

Better late than never. One of those very true clichés.
  3. I've known this one for AGES now obviously, but glad to finally have it on CD. Spotify, all that stuff smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. NP: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) - Howard Shore

This is mind bogingly awsome. I remember the shitstorm that this score met with two years ago. It's beyond me. This is awsome symphonic music. Shore has crafted his very own Ring cycle. They should perform it in Bayreuth.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I can't stand any of the HOBBIT scores. Beyond a theme or two, it's a wall of directionless noise, in my opinion (sorry, Scribe, and all other fans!).

While I did like the first and second film, I just came back from no. 3 and this was disappointingly bad. I don't know what they were thinking?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I'm with the captain - I don't get it. I just don't.

Directionless?? Shore's Middle-earth scores are meticulously planned right down to the tiniest orchestrational details. Is every single one of his dozens of themes/motifs 100% memorable and worthy of a concert suite? No - but there's so much thought put into it that I just can't wrap my head around how some people either can't or refuse to hear it. What other large-scale blockbuster scores are as rich, detailed, varied as these? Seriously, can someone please tell me?

In other words - can I understand not loving the scores? Easily; tastes and all that. But so many people seem to outright dislike them or think they're not worth much. I'm sorry, but when there is so much effort, so much attention to detail, so much thought put into music, the least people can do is acknowledge that achievement. I'm not the world's biggest fan of Alexandre Desplat at a personal level, but it would be absolutely churlish of me to deny that he's one of the best film composers of the last decade, because his music is constantly slapping me in the face with how clever it is. Shore's music is equally clever (albeit in very different ways) and to have it be sneered at by so many people - often the same people who bemoan the lack of exactly this kind of nuanced, intelligent scoring in blockbusters - is heartbreaking to me.

Rant over. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm with the captain - I don't get it. I just don't.

Directionless?? Shore's Middle-earth scores are meticulously planned right down to the tiniest orchestrational details. Is every single one of his dozens of themes/motifs 100% memorable and worthy of a concert suite? No - but there's so much thought put into it that I just can't wrap my head around how some people either can't or refuse to hear it. What other large-scale blockbuster scores are as rich, detailed, varied as these? Seriously, can someone please tell me?

Varied? - it's the lack of variety that's one of my problems with them. Too monotone. And maybe the meticulous planning is another, I don't know. Could they be over-thought, at the expense of any feeling of spontaneity and excitement? (Probably unfair addendum - any feeling at all for 95% of them?) I think it's possible.

To answer your question, there are hundreds of blockbuster scores from Erich Wolfgang Korngold through Miklos Rozsa, Franz Waxman, Bernard Herrmann and Alex North, then Jerry Goldsmith, John Barry, Ennio Morricone, Jerry Fielding, Elmer Bernstein, John Williams, more recently James Horner, Michael Kamen, Christopher Young, Elliot Goldenthal. I wouldn't know how to start listing them all. But it was a rhetorical question, and you knew someone like me would say something like that. Is it just personal stylistic preference?

There's nothing worse than going on about not liking something that other people really love. Doesn't achieve anything. So I won't go on. If you love it, love it, why care what anyone else thinks? But I would say that every time a Jehovah's Witness knocks on my door it takes me that tiny bit further away from believing what they do.