• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2015 edited
    christopher wrote
    NP - HIDDEN KINGDOMS - Ben Foster

I'm only just getting to hear this one for the first time. It is very good. I'm just halfway through my first listen, but I'm a little surprised I'm not seeing this one mentioned more in the best of 2014 discussions, even as an honorable mention.

It's a surprisingly good score, I agree!
    I was a little apprehensive as I only know Foster as an orchestrator for Murray Gold (Doctor Who), and his score for Torchwood (which was certainly OK), but I really enjoyed this!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2015
    It has some nice tendencies, but ultimately it's a bit all over the place for me to properly enjoy it as a singular listen. Hence it's not on any of my lists of 2014.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I find the music for Hidden Kingdoms is a bit too "cinematic" for a documentary series. I prefer something more restrained and supportive.

It's been a long time since documentaries have just been about point-and-shoot to record nature, becoming instead a mix of natural footage with that shot in the studio or under other controlled conditions. And music for documentaries is becoming increasingly aimed at exaggerating the emotions and peril of the animals being filmed and/or the viewer.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's been a long time since documentaries have just been about point-and-shoot to record nature, becoming instead a mix of natural footage with that shot in the studio or under other controlled conditions.

I'm not sure how much is really studio shot or controlled conditions, but whether it is I still think modern BBC nature documentaries are some of the best ever produced.

I can highly recommend Snow Wolf Family and Me with Gordon Buchanan in case you haven't already seen it. Certainly no studio or 'controlled conditions' in that one! It's incredible.
  2. Steven wrote
    I'm not sure how much is really studio shot or controlled conditions, but whether it is I still think modern BBC nature documentaries are some of the best ever produced.

Definitely agree with you there. The intertwining of "real life" and "staged" footage to illustrate actual behaviour is a painstaking job and those working for the BBC are some of the best.

I remember back in the mid-eighties I used to work in the laboratory of a professor who was a world expert in temperature-dependent sex determination in alligators. In June we'd all get roped into to helping clean and number a shipment of alligator eggs from Louisiana that this prof would use for his studies: some would be placed in incubators of two different temperatures.

So, when the BBC wanted to film the emergence of newly-born alligators from their nest (they had footage of the nests in Louisiana) for one of David Attenborough's documentaries , a nest was re-created in the labs and the BBC came and shot some close footage of young alligators emerging from the bench-top nests. And then it was edited together for the final documentary.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I find the music for Hidden Kingdoms is a bit too "cinematic" for a documentary series. I prefer something more restrained and supportive.

It's been a long time since documentaries have just been about point-and-shoot to record nature, becoming instead a mix of natural footage with that shot in the studio or under other controlled conditions. And music for documentaries is becoming increasingly aimed at exaggerating the emotions and peril of the animals being filmed and/or the viewer.

Foster's score has some good moments but it isn't anywhere near as good as Fenton, Barnaby Taylor, Christopher Gunning or Nicholas Hooper's docu scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    NP - HIDDEN KINGDOMS - Ben Foster

I'm only just getting to hear this one for the first time. It is very good. I'm just halfway through my first listen, but I'm a little surprised I'm not seeing this one mentioned more in the best of 2014 discussions, even as an honorable mention.

It's on my list!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And music for documentaries is becoming increasingly aimed at exaggerating the emotions and peril of the animals being filmed and/or the viewer.

Oh, oh.... more of that, please!!!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Music for documentaries is a very interesting area. I realised that my comment about fuelling the viewer's emotions wasn't as clear cut as I thought.

All music for documentaries affects the emotional responses of the viewer. But I think that I was hinting at a concern I have about how subtly the music affects the viewer's experiences. Grand sweeping themes to showcase the inherent beauty of nature is fine. I question the use of scores such as Foster's that seem to veer too much into the melodrama of the day-to-day survival of the animals. It just seems a bit forced to me.
  4. I see what you mean. I do think the dramatization of nature in modern documentaries does take away from the reality of it, but it sure makes for some good music!

On a related note, my favorite scores from the past two years were both for documentaries: Space Shuttle Columbia, and Metsan Tarina.

Thor wrote
    It has some nice tendencies, but ultimately it's a bit all over the place for me to properly enjoy it as a singular listen. Hence it's not on any of my lists of 2014.

I was feeling some of this by the end of the album. I thought the first half of the score was really quite strong, but it did meander a little after a bit. Still, I think it has some of the finest music I've heard from 2014.

NP - FIELD OF LOST SHOES - Frederik Wiedmann

First listen. Wow, what an opening!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I question the use of scores such as Foster's that seem to veer too much into the melodrama of the day-to-day survival of the animals. It just seems a bit forced to me.

I disagree. I think the music, and music of this sort, compliments the drama unfolding on the screen. I love the sweeping, epic sounding scores to Blue Planet and Africa.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    christopher wrote
    On a related note, my favorite scores from the past two years were both for documentaries: Space Shuttle Columbia, and Metsan Tarina.

One of the most stirring themes of the whole decade thus far... smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Alan, do you know of any sources that list music used in the series COAST?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This little chat has given me a hunger to play an excellent docu score...

NP : WILD CHINA - Barnaby Taylor

Superb!
  5. Scribe wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Infinitely superior hero theme (more than three notes!)

There's a whole long line theme in Winter Soldier that's played around with in tracks like "Taking A Stand" and "Captain America". In fact it is one of the more memorable themes of 2014 to me. I am not sure which three notes you were referring to or if you are just being sarcastic.

In the film there is a whole other theme that is played once or twice on album and it's also quite good. I'm thinking of the Falcon theme. Winter Soldier is definitely not the worst score this year and frankly, Taking a Stand does feature in my top 10 RCP tracks ever written. Also after the film.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Timmer wrote

No, I am afraid that I don't know anything about the music from Coast.
  7. christopher wrote

What a score! Wiedmann has convinced me that he can do anything exceptionally well. This is easily a top ten 2014 score for me. Multiple long-lined themes, beauty, grandeur, tragedy, epic sweep, and even a couple pull-out-all-the-stops action moments - there's something for everyone here. And it's a nearly perfectly produced album. This is just fantastic.

And it gives further evidence to my theory that films about the American Civil War always have good music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    christopher wrote

What a score! Wiedmann has convinced me that he can do anything exceptionally well. This is easily a top ten 2014 score for me. Multiple long-lined themes, beauty, grandeur, tragedy, epic sweep, and even a couple pull-out-all-the-stops action moments - there's something for everyone here. And it's a nearly perfectly produced album. This is just fantastic.

And it gives further evidence to my theory that films about the American Civil War always have good music.

That is indeed a top 10. It's in my list as well. Very "90s James Horner".
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Yes! Which I love.
  9. Morgaine speaks - In my time I have been called many things ...

NP: The Mists of Avalon (2001) - Lee Holdridge

The brilliant, brilliant score to a fine adaptation (given the limited funds) of one of my all time favourite novels. As a high school student I read the whole series two or three times. From THE LIGHT OF ATLANTIS thorugh THE FIREBRAND to MISTS. The later written sequels to MoA I found did not treach the same level of brilliance, but they are still worthwhile reads.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Morgaine speaks - In my time I have been called many things ...

The brilliant, brilliant score to a fine adaptation (given the limited funds) of one of my all time favourite novels. As a high school student I read the whole series two or three times. From THE LIGHT OF ATLANTIS thorugh THE FIREBRAND to MISTS. The later written sequels to MoA I found did not treach the same level of brilliance, but they are still worthwhile reads.

Volker

Great score! I read some of Bradley's novels. I far far prefer Bernard Cornwall's fantastic take on the Arthurian legend in his trilogy of books.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Christmas Dragon - James Schafer

This is a fairly low-budget score with pretty predictable features but the main theme is one of the loveliest of the year and is given a generous but not overwhelming number of appearances throughout the album. Almost sounds like something Debney would write when he's feeling inspired but has a budget of $100.
  10. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Morgaine speaks - In my time I have been called many things ...

Volker

Great score! I read some of Bradley's novels. I far far prefer Bernard Cornwall's fantastic take on the Arthurian legend in his trilogy of books.

Not familliar with that one. Concerning Arthurian narratives
    - The Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart
    - The Dark is Rising (Sequence) by Susan Cooper (This is of course not a retelling but is based on Athurian aspects.)

are sitting on my book shelf, waiting to be read.

Hist! It's Cornwell, right? wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2015 edited
    er...yeah shame

It's an excellent read. Possibly the closest to how it might really have been like, Cornwell really knows his stuff, bloody, brutal and with some truly inspired twists on popular characters.
  11. Timmer wrote

Tim, I've been trying to track down some information on the music for Coast but I can't come up with too much.

There are some archived pages on the BBC website that lists in detail the music used in Series 3 but other than that, I can't locate much. Looking at the information I can find, it's clear that the music comes from numerous sources.

Below is a direct link to the music used in the first episode of Series 3, "Shetland To Orkney":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/coast/faq/series3_ … usic.shtml

In order to see the music used for the remaining episodes in Series 3, click in each link at the top of the page in the rightmost column. In the new page that opens, scroll right to the bottom of the page and you'll see a link within the sentence, "Would you like to know what music was used in this programme?" Click on this and it will take you to the list of music. It looks like it's the same process for the rest of the episodes in this series.

I've tried numerous ways to try and find similar information on the other series but I've come up with nothing at the moment.

Hope this helps.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2015
    Thank you for trying Alan, really! beer

I did my own research earlier and came up with exactly the same. Sadly it has always been difficult to find out what the BBC ( and others ) have used musically. In the case of COAST there are points where I'm not sure if it's original score or music editor choices.

I remember HORIZON using Vertigo during an episode about black holes, I wonder if there were non-film score fans out there who would have loved to know what that music was.
  12. NP: La Rançon de La Gloire - Michel Legrand

I'm thoroughly enjoying this beautiful score from the veteran composer. A comedy whose fictional story is based around the stealing of the body of Charlie Chaplin. But Legrand tends to play have the music playing pretty straight, with minimal comedic episodes.

I notice that the film does contain some music from 1-2 of Chaplin's music. I'd be grateful to anyone (and who takes a listen to this score (it's on Spotify)) who can tell me if Legrand incorporates any of Chaplin's music in his own score.
  13. PawelStroinski wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Infinitely superior hero theme (more than three notes!)

There's a whole long line theme in Winter Soldier that's played around with in tracks like "Taking A Stand" and "Captain America". In fact it is one of the more memorable themes of 2014 to me. I am not sure which three notes you were referring to or if you are just being sarcastic.

In the film there is a whole other theme that is played once or twice on album and it's also quite good. I'm thinking of the Falcon theme. Winter Soldier is definitely not the worst score this year and frankly, Taking a Stand does feature in my top 10 RCP tracks ever written. Also after the film.

Ever written? Ever written??? shocked shocked

Goodness, I don't think it would make my top 200. It's the best cue from Winter Soldier by far and if the rest of the score had been like it, it would easily have been as good as First Class...but let's not exaggerate.

I will say that the album for Winter Soldier seems to go out of its way to showcase as much of the unpleasant music as it possibly can. There's decent stuff in film that didn't make the cut. So no, perhaps it's not the worst score of 2014. But album? Hecks yes (not that I've listened to Gone Girl, so... tongue ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2015 edited
    One person's "unpleasant" stuff is another person's "cool" stuff.

I wouldn't say "Taking A Stand" is one of my top 10 RCP tracks just because there are so darn many of them, but it's the kind of theme and musical structure that continues to grow on you the more you listen to it, being as it is much more complex and layered than originally meets the ears. I've been listening to the whole score on and off since it came up in this thread and discovering newly entertaining things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2015
    NP: Penny Dreadful~Abel Korzeniowski
    First listen. I love it! Dark, lyrical, piano predominated... My kind of thing. Suits my mood anyway.
    By the way... Hello again and Happy New Year to all! Godess Stavi
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...