• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Is that the season 1 score? I thought it was dreadful!

I just edited. It was the 2nd one I listened to.

Ah. In that case, I haven't listened to it yet (the first was not encouraging) but I've heard people say it's a big improvement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2015 edited
    Poltergeist Jerry Goldsmith

'Rebirth' is surely one of the great pieces of film music. The marriage of image and music is perfect.

Also, as a foreigner (which is to say 'not from the US') I can't help but associate the US national anthem with Goldsmith's score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Poltergeist Jerry Goldsmith

'Rebirth' is surely one of the great pieces of film music. The marriage of image and music is perfect.

word!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Never cared much for POLTERGEIST outside "Carol Anne's Theme". But the film is fun in an 80s kind of way. Not scary, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Never cared much for POLTERGEIST outside "Carol Anne's Theme".

Crazy talk! dizzy

But the film is fun in an 80s kind of way. Not scary, though.

I love 80s films, so naturally I agree. And no, it's not scary at all. Some nice creepy moments, but it's all in good fun. I love it.
  2. When I first watched it as a 12 year old, the final scared me alright. freezing

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Never cared much for POLTERGEIST outside "Carol Anne's Theme".

Crazy talk! dizzy

But the film is fun in an 80s kind of way. Not scary, though.

I love 80s films, so naturally I agree. And no, it's not scary at all. Some nice creepy moments, but it's all in good fun. I love it.

Me and a friend watched it at a late night showing on its release. I believe we both came out of the cinema blown away by the effects which we proclaimed were as good as they could get and never be bettered ( rolleyes biggrin )

It was also memorable for huge punch-up we witnessed in the town centre after leaving the cinema, about 20 odd "townies" drunkenly kicking shit out of each other at a Taxi stand, my friend and I were thoroughly amused and couldn't stop laughing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I was never scared by POLTERGEIST, even when I watched it for the first time as a kid.

I do remember being slightly freaked by the sequel, however -- there's that hotel room and the car park and all that, with that green-faced whatshisname.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The sequel was scarier because Spielberg didn't direct it. Fact.
  3. NP: Play it Again: The Classic Sound of Hollywood

Nice Golden Age compilation, this.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2015 edited
    I love Poltergeist... score and film. The film scared the shit out of me as a kid. Didn't help that I watched it for the first time at 2am in a dark basement!

Brilliant special effects that STILL hold up to this day. And the score is a classic! I watch the film EVERY Halloween and the score is played regularly!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    NP: EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS - Alberto Iglesias, et al.

I've put off listening to this score for a long time. I haven't really been expecting much from it, to be honest. I hadn't ever heard anything from Iglesias that suggested that he could pull off a swords-and-sandals epic. But I've been pleasantly surprised by this. I'm sure it didn't hurt to have Nick Dodd orchestrating. The tracks from HGW and Jusid are not jarringly different. The album flows pretty well, even if it's a bit long.

"Into the Water" - What a cue! That is some phenomenal music from Iglesias and Jusid, there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    "Into the Water" - What a cue! That is some phenomenal music from Iglesias and Jusid, there.

Yeah, that's the greatest cue on the album -- which borders between OK and rather generic and disappointing as a whole. I loved the film, though, unlike most of my colleagues.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    ...unlike most of my colleagues

You should adopt this as your tagline/signature.
    wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2015
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2015
    biggrin
  5. Snap. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    ...unlike most of my colleagues

You should adopt this as your tagline/signature.
    wink

Well, in this case I was talking more about my actual, day-to-day colleagues here in Norway rather than my film music colleagues online. But it makes no difference, I guess. wink
    I am extremely serious.
  6. There's that sense of humour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have no sense of humour. I'm an extremely serious person, remember?
    I am extremely serious.
  7. In Australia, nothing is more likely to encourage people to laugh than someone protesting that something is not funny. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SHAOLIN (Nicolas Errera)

Wonderful 'Oriental'-style score with pronounced themes and beautiful ebb and flow. Not just "all in".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    I have no sense of humour. I'm an extremely serious person, remember?

True. I have experienced this many times now.

I guess that's the only downside of fjords.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2015 edited
    Thor wrote
    I was never scared by POLTERGEIST, even when I watched it for the first time as a kid.

Really?
    I thought it was incredibly eerie: the tree, the doll, the disembodied voice of Carol-Anne.
    More than enough throughly creepy stuff to keep me in cold sweat in my dark bed room for many a night!
    (Living in an old creaky house surely didn't help!)

Erik Woods wrote
    I love Poltergeist... score and film. The film scared the shit out of me as a kid. Didn't help that I watched it for the first time at 2am in a dark basement!

Amen, brother! beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2015
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Really?
    I thought it was incredibly eerie: the tree, the doll, the disembodied voice of Carol-Anne.
    More than enough throughly creepy stuff to keep me in cold sweat in my dark bed room for many a night!
    (Living in an old creaky house surely didn't help!)

I saw it around the same time I saw ALIEN for the first time (I think I was about 9 or 10). So you'll understand why POLTERGEIST didn't quite cut it? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Same here...problem was that I saw Alien on a poor VHS video copy.
    Pretty much all I got from it was a lot of unclear goings-on in murky darkness with, when things really got tense, all sorts of stroboscopic flashing lights livening the mood. So the effect was rather lost. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I see.

I saw it on the telly -- after my dad had convinced my mom it was OK to stay up for it. Little did they know it would be one of the most traumatic, but also one of the greatest and most important film viewing experiences in my life.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Martijn wrote
    Same here...problem was that I saw Alien on a poor VHS video copy.
    Pretty much all I got from it was a lot of unclear goings-on in murky darkness with, when things really got tense, all sorts of stroboscopic flashing lights livening the mood. So the effect was rather lost. slant

I saw many films on such tapes for the first time. Alien, Star Wars, Indiana Jones. Mulity generation copies that circulated everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2015 edited
    Same here. Part of the experience, in a way. Which is why it's often fun (and sometimes also painfully revealing) to rediscover these films in sparkling BluRay quality.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Honestly, I only truly appreciated Alien for the spinetingling horror it was when I was finally able to watch it in proper resolution. (Up until that time it was squarely stocked away in my "why does everyone like this piece of crap so much?" mental folder).

So for me upscaling -in this case- was definitely a positive experience!
    (And I can't really recall any case when it was not?)