• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Wolf Hall - Debbie Wiseman
    This is one of the best things on television at the moment.

It is. BBC at it's best and a good score too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Jupiter Ascending - Michael Giacchino (2015)

Giacchino has overcome whatever melodic simplicity might have marred his earlier compositions. This is as complexly structured and melodic symphonic music as anyone could ask for.

Initially I thought that the choral parts of this work were indebted to Shore's Ring music. Now I believe there is rather a direct influence of Orff's CARMINA BURANA. As there is in so many other film scores.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: The Tudors, Season 1 (2007) - Trevor Morris

While reading Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy. Some way to spend a Sunday moring.
    Love this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2015
    I adore the Tudors scores. I listen to them quite often.

NP: Paper Planes - Nigel Westlake

Well well, after weeks of mostly listening to The Fountain and Interstellar which are great but rather melancholic I must say Paper Planes and Jupiter Ascending are much more uplifting!!

cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Captain Future wrote
    While reading Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy. Some way to spend a Sunday moring.
    Love this.

Hey, I started those books a while ago (I guess it's about 15 years ago?) but I never finished. Because part 2 was not in the library or something... will check them out again! Sounds like the kind of thing I'd like right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    V For Vendetta Dario Marianelli

Brilliant, brilliant score (given new life in the Interstellar trailer). By far my favourite Marianelli score... granted, I only know two of his scores, but this is my favourite of those two.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    V For Vendetta Dario Marianelli

Brilliant, brilliant score (given new life in the Interstellar trailer). By far my favourite Marianelli score... granted, I only know two of his scores, but this is my favourite of those two.

I'm with you in that I absolutely love this. What is the "other" Marianelli score you have?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Brothers Grimm... which is also excellent.

I have tried listening to some of his other scores, but I tend to give up in boredom. Any recommendations?
  3. I recommend...

Pride & Prejudice

I admit it's a quiet, little score, but that's what's so enjoyable about it. If you give it a try in a moment where you're at ease with the world and have a nice art book to look at over a cup of tea, this is gold.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I have tried listening to some of his other scores, but I tend to give up in boredom. Any recommendations?

I expect they are the ones you give up on like Atonement and Jane Eyre.

He wrote my favourite piece of music of the 00's SHOOTING DOGS

I see on wiki that he has PAN ( origin story of Peter Pan ) and EVEREST ( about the 1996 Everest disaster ) coming up so could be good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes. Both of those scores bore me, as much as I want to like them. (I hope he gets to do a Marvel film one day.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    (I hope he gets to do a Marvel film one day.)

now that I'd buy for a dollar!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Superman - J Williams

Well, it is his birthday.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2015
    Southall wrote
    Superman - J Williams

This score is 567 times squared better than Man of Steel. FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Superman - J Williams

Superman = (567 x X2) x (Man of Steel)

Solve X.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I enjoy Superman and appreciate its technical superiority but Man of Steel connects with me more on an emotional level. To me its one of the most intimate Zimmer scores of his whole career. No, I do not expect anyone to agree with me in the slightest.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Thor wrote
    I enjoy Superman and appreciate its technical superiority but Man of Steel connects with me more on an emotional level. To me its one of the most intimate Zimmer scores of his whole career. No, I do not expect anyone to agree with me in the slightest.

Wow.

wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Steven wrote

I pretty much agree with you Steven when it comes to Marianelli - most of his stuff I find quite tedious, with only a few exceptions. However his most recent score for The Boxtrolls is easily now my favourite of his. A really brilliant score; highly recommend it.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Wolf Hall - Debbie Wiseman

Excellent "period" score that's dramatic yet also tender where it needs to be. The score has an exuberant main theme that's the highlight. Album's out at the beginning of March from Silva Screen.

This is one of the best things on television at the moment.

Been listening to quite a bit of her work recently. Haunted is my personal favourite, but Wilde equally showcases her talent for gorgeous themes. The album gets repetitive before long but those two main themes are wonderful and carry it a long way.

Also pulled The Promise which I couldn't remember a note of, and found that to be quite decent as well.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Eragon - Patrick Doyle

Talking about strong themes; this is one of Doyle's very best - and the rest of the score, built around some very sturdy action music, isn't half bad either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    David OC wrote
    Also pulled The Promise which I couldn't remember a note of, and found that to be quite decent as well.

One of the greatest scores of the 2000s IMO and definitely one of the greatest of the MV/RC lineage. Full-bodied and powerful themes, dense and engaging action writing and excellent sound quality to top it off. Looking back 10 years later it's really quite shocking that Klaus Badelt's name is on this score as he has not written anything so much ambition before or since.

(assuming you are talking about the Badelt score and not some other Promise I'm not familiar with...)
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Scribe, I actually really like Badelt's score too - easily one of his best efforts......................but no, that's not the one I meant. I was actually referring to Debbie Wiseman's score of the same name!! smile
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Oh. shame Thanks for clarifying, I'm not really familiar with Wiseman.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TOM AT THE FARM - Gabriel Yared

A very fine thriller score. I'm really enjoying this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE RECKONING (Grant Kirkhope)

18-year-old Thor would have been all over this with excitement and glee. 37-year-old Thor is struggling to even get through it. 37-year-old Thor also talks about himself in the third person.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Superman - J Williams

I just read it as 567 Times Squares better biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Scribe wrote

I would agree with you if not for the action music, which is far from intimate and, I actually think, quite tired. I think this score is pretty much why Spidey 2 and Interstellar are so different.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    37-year-old Thor also talks about himself in the third person.

No need for embarassment: so did Caesar.
    Of course we all know what happened to Caesar.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Yes, he laid Cleopatra. lick