• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. 1. 2001 A Space Odyssey - Richard Strauss
    2. Raumpatrouille - Peter Thomas
    3. Star Wars (Throne Room and...) - John Williams
    4. Star Trek TOS - Alexander Courage
    5. Babylon 5 - Christopher Franke
    6. Starship Troopers - Basil Polidoris
    7. Dr. Who - Ron Grainer
    8. Battlestar Galactica - Richard Gibbs
    9. Battlestar Galactica Theme - Stu Philips
    10. Battlestar Galactica Exploration - Stu Philips
    11. The Last Starfighter - Craig Safan
    12. Space: 1999 - Barry Gray
    13. Wing Commander - David Arnold
    14. Flash Gordon (Space Capsule) - Queen
    15. Space: Above and Beyond - Shirley Walker
    16. Captain Future - Christian Bruhn
    17. Dune (Big Battle) - Toto
    18. Children of Dune (Summon the Worm) - Brian Tyler
    19. Stargate SG-1 - David Arnold
    20. Galaxy Quest - David Newman
    21. Battle Beyond the Stars (End Credits) - James Horner
    22. Star Trek TMP - Jerry Goldsmith
    23. Final Fantasy - Elliot Goldenthal
    24. The Ice Pirates (End Credits) - Bruce Broughton
    25. Farscape The Peacekeapers War (This is your Playground) - Guy Gross
    26. The Black Hole - John Barry
    27. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy / Journey of the Sorcerer - Bernie Leadon (Film version)
    28. L'Humanoide - Ennio Morricone
    29. Lost in Space - Bruce Broughton
    30. 2010 Odyssey Two (New Worlds) - David Shire
    31. War of the Worlds (Eve of the War) - Jeff Wayne

All the original recordings.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2015
    Not bad. Not bad at all!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2015 edited
    A space opera playlist. Interesting.
    That would make a great subset of my SciFi playlist.
    Thanks! I'm inspired! (And I liked how you snuck Jeff Wayne in there biggrin )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Yup. smile With 2001 and 2010 framing the whole thing, WotW is a bonus track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2015 edited
    NP: THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

Been a while... cool
  3. Thor wrote
    Yeah, give us the DOPE, man!

No, no, no -- I think you've had enough. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. NP: The England of Elizabeth Suite - Ralph Vaughan Williams
    The score of a documentary from 1957. Re-recording on Chandos. It's beautiful.

Volker
  5. Martijn wrote
    A space opera playlist. Interesting.
    That would make a great subset of my SciFi playlist.
    Thanks! I'm inspired! (And I liked how you snuck Jeff Wayne in there biggrin )

I maintain two "Western" playlists that also don't stick to film music exclusively. They contain some C&W songs as well as tracks like APACHE by The Shadows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2015
    Blasphemy, dude! angry
    I even removed Barry's Midnight Cowboy from my Western playlist when I finally saw the movie.
    With pain in my heart as it's such a gorgeous theme... But it ain't a western...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It most certainly is NOT! wink

One of my favourite tracks is JOE BUCK RIDES AGAIN
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I go for the "feel" of a track rather than its strict category. I'll have themed playlists, like 'action', 'romantic', 'uplifting', etc. with selections from all sorts of genres in each. It seems odd not to include something that sounds so right for the playlist just on technical grounds? Of course if it's an action playlist, say, chances are most will be from action films. But I might also include things from horror films, dramas, documentaries, events, whatever - as long as the track is action-y.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    It most certainly is NOT! wink

One of my favourite tracks is JOE BUCK RIDES AGAIN

Joe Buck Rides Again

That music from around the 2.20 mark isn't to a scene of a cowboy riding the prairies wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I go for the "feel" of a track rather than its strict category.

For more abstract concepts like "action" that certainly works (and I do the same), but for more literal-themed play lists it just won't work for me. I have a "vampire" play list, but I'm not just putting any old track in there because it sounds 'vampirey'(whatever the hell that would be. Meat Loaf's 'Bat Out Of Hell'? ).
    In the same vein if I would have a playlist (which I don't) called 'Action MOVIES', I wouldn't put any documentary racks in there (although I might very well fit it into an 'ACTION' playlist).

It's just all to do with a certain amount of unity I use play lists for.

I also have MUCH more generic playlists that just say "film" or "TV", which are a complete free-for-all jumble of tracks I happen to like. A sort of super sampler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    That music from around the 2.20 mark isn't to a scene of a cowboy riding the prairies wink

I'd love to use that as a "proper" western backing track, and see who notices. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2015 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    I go for the "feel" of a track rather than its strict category.

For more abstract concepts like "action" that certainly works (and I do the same), but for more literal-themed play lists it just won't work for me. I have a "vampire" play list, but I'm not just putting any old track in there because it sounds 'vampirey'(whatever the hell that would be. Meat Loaf's 'Bat Out Of Hell'? ).

Ah, good point. Still, I could probably work with 'vampirey'. Dark, creepy, elegant, sultry, etc. I tend to prefer the abstract approach, dare I say a concept playlist. (Ugh.) It's all about the feel of it, man.
  6. NP: War of the Worlds alien (2005) - John Williams

I just saw the film and I am now listening to the score for the first time in ages. It's kind of "Williams meets Hermann". Not a pleasant listening experience and how could it be? It certainly is a highly accomplished score with all the finesse you expect from the maestro.
    Some nice JAWS references here.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jaws references? uhm Aside from 'scary monster, impeding doom', I've never noticed any references to Jaws (why would he?),
  7. That's what I meant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's...thats not really a reference. That's hardly a nod. It's circumstantial.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Like Jaws, War of The Worlds has some Stravinsky influences, I think this is the only connection.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'd love to use that as a "proper" western backing track, and see who notices. wink

Only the most astute film score fans! wink
  8. Music from JAWS was used on location and I bet it was temped. This is not Stravinsky, this is Williams citing Williams.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I beg to differ.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Music from JAWS was used on location and I bet it was temped.

Er...what?
  9. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Er...what?

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Google informs me that 'during the filming of the underwater scenes Spielberg played a prank on Cruise and Fanning by playing the music from Jaws through the massive underwater speakers' (to paraphrase the quote).

That's hardly used in the way you're implying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lincoln John Williams

According to Daniel Day Lewis, Spielberg whistled the Superman theme on set while they were filming an intimate father/son scene. I can definitely hear the references to it in this score. Excellent.
  10. Steven wrote
    Google informs me that 'during the filming of the underwater scenes Spielberg played a prank on Cruise and Fanning by playing the music from Jaws through the massive underwater speakers' (to paraphrase the quote).

That's hardly used in the way you're implying.

Not sure, if it was only a prank. But anyhow, the general likeness of the music we hear during the basement scene to suspense music in JAWS reminded me of certain scenes in the shark film. It probably boils down to the fact that the same composer is addressing comparable situations.
    I like to play the "this-reminds-me-of" game. But it is always highly subjective.

smile Volker
  11. Steven wrote
    Lincoln John Williams

According to Daniel Day Lewis, Spielberg whistled the Superman theme on set while they were filming an intimate father/son scene. I can definitely hear the references to it in this score. Excellent.

biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    It probably boils down to the fact that the same composer is addressing comparable situations.

biggrin

Reason prevails.