• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2015
    NP: THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

Going through a bit of a Horner binge at the moment. Had to come back to this again. The action music is fabulous.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're also going through my favourites (well, two of them so far). There is no score I love more than The Perfect Storm.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    La Resa Dei Conti La Ennio Dei Morricone

My this is good.

You should check out one of Southall's Morricone favourites, The Big Gundown which is equally as good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh come on, you can't even compare those two.
  1. Steven wrote
    Texas Rising John Debney & Bruce Broughton

I love it. I've played it more times than I care to mention. The only niggle I have... it could do with a bit more Don Davis in the orchestrations (ala Lost In Space). But then again, most things could.

Managed to "find" a copy of this to play. The main title is nice...and short. Disliked it quite strongly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    La Resa Dei Conti La Ennio Dei Morricone

My this is good.

You should check out one of Southall's Morricone favourites, The Big Gundown which is equally as good.

Scusate non parlo inglese...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Danny Dyer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    U WOT M8!? angry

Ahem.

Oh, apparently I do.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Apollo 13 - James Horner

Marvelous.
  2. Southall wrote
    I assume Michael Land is a theme park based on the adventures of our friend and colleague franz_conrad.

Oh, man. Who gets to ride the Michaelcoaster? This park just sounds wrong.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Spanish Affair - Fernando Velazquez

Short but sweet comedy score from a recent film from his home land. The man can do no wrong, really. The main theme is catchy as hell and some of the variations ridiculously fun.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    1864 - Marco Bertrami

Very fine main theme and though the album peaks early it still represents another solid effort from a composer who very rarely fails to deliver.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2015 edited
    NP: HALO: SPARTAN STRIKE (Tom Salta)

It's no THE DIG, but it's my favourite videogame score of the year so far. Never played the game itself, nor will I ever, but I love the more calm material on this.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor, have you heard Gareth Coker's Ori and the Blind Forest? It's a long album, but it's a very calm and enveloping atmospheric listen for the most part (though also largely melodic) and I feel like it would be right up your street. Game scores of 2015-wise, that is. smile
  4. NP: White Witch Doctor - Bernard Herrmann

Not very familiar with this one at all. Some of the tracks are wonderfully beautiful - some of the best he has done. Orchestrations and "sound" are typically Herrmann. The opening theme though will take a bit of time to warm to but so far it isn't featuring much - mostly it's been suspense music.

So far it's all reminding me of THE EGYPTIAN and JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor, have you heard Gareth Coker's Ori and the Blind Forest? It's a long album, but it's a very calm and enveloping atmospheric listen for the most part (though also largely melodic) and I feel like it would be right up your street. Game scores of 2015-wise, that is. smile

I have. Unfortunately, it didn't really grab me. But I'll probably give it another chance before the year is over.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Highlander (1986) - Michael Kamen; Brian May

The combination of orchestral scoring and pop songs works better in this film than in most other such like soundtracks of the 80s. Much better IMO than the pairing of Danny Elfman and Prince in Batman three years later. In contrast to the latter two Kamen and May actually worked together on the score.

Volker

The Edel album, I presume?

It's actually an unmentionable which I did not know when I purchased it on amazon.de marketplace years ago. My concious in this case is reasonably calm though because I own the said edel CD featuring orchestral cues by Kamen and Queen albums featuring the songs.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You anarchist.
  6. NP: Son of Batman (2014) - Frederik Wiedmann

Excellent. This score would have graced any cinematic live action feature.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DISPARUE (Frans Bak)

Brilliant!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My Name Is Nobody - E Morricone

Audaciously creative and very silly in equal measure. Just brilliant. Almost as good as Il Mio Nome E' Nessuno.
  7. Esatto padrone!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015
    Hollow Man - Jerry Goldsmith

This is pretty aggressive for the last phase of Jerry's career. Some entertaining action music, decent suspense but nothing he hasn't done before.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Absolutely love Hollow Man. It has some of Jerry's greatest action music from that last phase of his career and ranks as my personal favourite from that time along with The Edge.

The Interview - Henry Jackman

That main theme, as fleshed out in the opening track, is sensational; probably his finest single composition alongside that opener from X-Men: First Class. Leaves you wanting more overall but great to have it on CD anyway.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Star Trek: Nemesis - Jerry Goldsmith

This is better than I remembered it. The suspense music sorta noodles away but the action is really great and a lot of the smaller cues added to the complete score (like "The Argo") are memorable.
  8. NP: Spellbound - Miklos Rozsa
    Concerto for piano and orchestra

As good as it gets.

Volker
  9. NP: Indochine - Patrick Doyle

My first listen of this early nineties score from Doyle. And it's rather quite good!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Indochine - Patrick Doyle

My first listen of this early nineties score from Doyle. And it's rather quite good!

He rarely struck a false note back then; I find myself returning to a lot of his earlier work and even the more obscure ones are always even better than I remembered - A Little Princess, for example, which I thought - after a few years of it collecting dust - that I didn't really like, only to find the exact opposite to be true.

Broken Horses - John Debney

Now this is disappointing, especially considering how much more consistent Debney's recent work has been. An ok if generic, fairly uninspired main theme, but lots of boring suspense music that does nothing for me at all.
  10. NP: Master and Commander (2003) - Iva Davies, Christopher Gordon & Richard Tognetti

This album is a bit of a peculiarity. It's as much a film score album as it is a compilation of classical music. I have to confess I'm not aware to have heard of the composers in any other context. Their score cues are partly based on material they wrote before. Pieces by Mozart and Boccherini were adapted by the trio. There are also pieces by Bach, Vaughan Williams and Corelli. I guess the term "soundtrack" gives the best description of the album. It is as a whole a fine listening experience and it is highly functional in context. Music is central in the film and so the album features source material as well as background scoring.
    I remember I wasn't overwhelmed by the film but I enjoyed it.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015
    NP: The Little Wizard - Marc Timón Barceló

Richly orchestrated, lush, thoroughly melodic and exciting score from a guy with his feet very clearly planted in traditional scoring. Some echoes of Williams, some of Rozsa...but no copying or overt nudges! No soundscaping, electronic drumscapes or moody synth oodlings here either, but choir and orchestra going at it full force for this -apparently- minor kiddie animation flick.

Great stuff! Barceló clearly is a name to look out for in future.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn